• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blogabills
    • Aug 2011

How Long the Staters Play Tonight

The Buffalo News put up an article quoting Chan:

"The starting offense got two series last week, and I'm hoping they get three this week."
    Now, I didn't look up the stats from last week (bad for the guy who tries to back everything up with stats, I know) but I'm pretty sure we saw the starting D get more reps than the starting O last week, and nowhere in that piece above is anything about how much the starting D will play.

Is it me, or is it entirely possible we don't want to play Fitz and Freddy too long to avoid getting them killed by the OL (see: Cutler in the game last week), or is it more likely that we're (presumably) playing the D more with some more new parts in it (Dareus, Merriman-now-Carrington, Barnett, Wilson).

I think it's a bit of both but I'm curious.
    In-depth stats-based blog about the Bills and the NFL at Blog-a-Bills or follow us on Twitter @blogabills...
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: How Long the Staters Play Tonight

The O will be sluggish to start this season anyhow, so don't play your starters too much.

The D & ST's will be our ticket to staying in games most of this season. No real mystery there.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Blogabills
      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Night Train
      The O will be sluggish to start this season anyhow, so don't play your starters too much.

The D & ST's will be our ticket to staying in games most of this season. No real mystery there.
      Just playing devil's advocate, but since we're saying the D & special teams this season, then it doesn't make much sense that the D played a bunch and no "starting" special teams unit hit the field last week (as per DeHaven in the buff news).

Also, again, devil's advocate, but wouldn't the O stand a chance at being less sluggish with more work (if we're saying that the D should play more because we're counting on them then we're assuming more work in the preseason helps).

Not being a jerk, just debating the point....
      In-depth stats-based blog about the Bills and the NFL at Blog-a-Bills or follow us on Twitter @blogabills...

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

He's hoping they get three series this week? He's the coach isn't he?

Comment

• Blogabills
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Novacane
          He's hoping they get three series this week? He's the coach isn't he?
          Maybe he mean't he's "hoping Pears and Urbik don't get Fitzy killed before 3 series are up."

Hi-oooooooo.

Thank god (or Chan, I suppose) the offense is predicated on a lot of quick passes.

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

the O needs time on the field, and last weeks starting OL did a good job in front of Fitz

the D should be rested as it is obvious they are ahead of the curve here.. but the O needs a whole 1/2

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Blogabills
              Just playing devil's advocate, but since we're saying the D & special teams this season, then it doesn't make much sense that the D played a bunch and no "starting" special teams unit hit the field last week (as per DeHaven in the buff news).

Also, again, devil's advocate, but wouldn't the O stand a chance at being less sluggish with more work (if we're saying that the D should play more because we're counting on them then we're assuming more work in the preseason helps).

Not being a jerk, just debating the point....
              Point taken and it's a legit question.

My concern is depth beyond the starters. Injuries would cripple any chance of winning, with questionable depth on the roster.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Blogabills
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Night Train
                Point taken and it's a legit question.

My concern is depth beyond the starters. Injuries would cripple any chance of winning, with questionable depth on the roster.
                On this we can agree. I think this team can do better (not better than 8-8, but better) than last season, but that's entirely predicated on a lack of injuries.

The depth on this team I think we can agree is pretty poor (as we saw last week). There are a number of positions at which I feel one injury could hurt this team's chances on improving over last year (anything on the OL comes to mind, along with Fitzy, to begin with), and while I think a lot of other team's fan bases would say the same about their teams, I feel it's exacerbated on less-than-average teams like the Bills.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                  Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                  • Jul 2002

The Bills have bonafide starters?

Just kidding!!!
                  Originally posted by notacon
                  The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Cntrygal
                    The Bills have bonafide starters?

Just kidding!!!
                    No but they have staters.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

If I was Gailey I'd make them go back out when we get the ball back in the 2nd half. Do something positive to build on for the next week of practice and the next preseason contest.

Comment

Working...
                      X