PDA

View Full Version : Moore's hit is exactly what Broncos' defense needs

YardRat
08-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Condoning and encouraging illegal helmet to helmet, launching hits? Nice.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_18726671?source=commented-

It was a nasty piece of headhunting, when rookie safety Rahim Moore delivered a blow that transformed Buffalo receiver Donald Jones into a limp rag doll faster than you could say unnecessary roughness.

"I want the guy to at least make it out of bed the next morning," Moore said Saturday, after Denver's 24-10 victory. "I mean no harm. But you know what? It's football."

Flags flew to punish the blow. The Bills complained as if NFL commissioner Roger Goodell (http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_18726671?source=commented-#)​ had promised them violence had been outlawed by the new collective bargaining agreement. If you're asking me to testify, it was a dirty hit

by Moore, although we'll let the league office pass judgment.

But also allow me to add: Thanks, Mr. Moore.

A wicked, slobber-knocking shot that could make mixed-martial artist Georges St-Pierre jealous is precisely what this Denver defense needed.

"A pretty hefty collision," Broncos coach John Fox said.

After the vicious hit, Moore was advised on the sideline to play smart. But the first-year pro from UCLA also claimed his coaches told him: "Keep it up."

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-21-2011, 08:25 AM
jf one of our boys laid the hit we'd be happy and say it was just hard play
no sence being two faced about it I guess :)

YardRat
08-21-2011, 08:28 AM
jf one of our boys laid the hit we'd be happy and say it was just hard play
no sence being two faced about it I guess :)

I disagree. Most of the posters around here would have acknowledged it was an illegal hit.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-21-2011, 08:32 AM
well perhaps.... but I still think the condemnation would be far less :)

Ingtar33
08-21-2011, 08:39 AM
as the rules are written it was an illegal hit. but as someone who's played and coached football for more then 2 decades, i can't look at that hit as dirty, no matter how i look at it. I spend hours upon hours working with my team on proper tackling, to protect them and the other team from concussions (most illegal hits have almost as much chance to knock out the one delivering the shot as the guy getting hit). I don't want my players to suffer brain damage or permanent disability from post concision syndrome like what plagues a lot of athletes.

Yet when i see that play last night i can't help but think "good football play" and "Fitzpatrick nearly killed his WR"... the helmet to helmet impact was incidental to hitting the receiver who's going up for the football. by the time the ball had bounced out of his hands, the player was already too close and moving too fast to change direction. It was simply impossible for the defender to NOT hit him. He even went facemask to facemask for the most part (in fact if anything it looked like the player in a more dangerous position was the tackler, as his head was turned a bit to the side meaning the impact was on his temple)

YardRat
08-21-2011, 08:52 AM
I'll have to temper my comments a little bit after reviewing the play a few more times...Moore didn't launch into the hit, really at all...

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fDCnQ91nbfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dozerdog
08-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I didn't think it was a terrible hit when I saw it