• Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Wys is back....

I stumbled across this article.

Read and enjoy. As usual, lots of nice stuff about the Bills

Last edited by OpIv37; 08-21-2011, 09:39 AM.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Wys is back....

1. Lee Evans is not one of the best WR in the game.

2. Still writing novels that people lose interest on after the 1st paragraph.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

"As a Bills’ analyst whose analyses have led the pack over the last decade, and by no small margin,"
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• clumping platelets

Stick to making sauce

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

It is a bit lengthy, and he does fall into the old trap of blaming the team for the individual's performance rather than the individual (which I can't stand, regardless of the player). But he makes a good point that Evans will benefit from being on a better team.

And he makes a good point that the Bills' 4th round picks haven't exactly been stellar. We essentially gave Evans away, and further reduced whatever miniscule chance we had at winning now, for a draft pick that has a very low chance of being a contributor, and even if he is, won't be one for 2-3 years.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

The writer make many good points that I have also made that some Bills fans will just have to see with their own eyes to believe as the season progresses.

Last year the Bills traded Lynch, a STARTING RB to Seattle for a 4th rnd pick. All Lynch did was to propel the Seahawks into the playoffs thereby lowering the 4th rnd pick because instead of a pick from a 7-9 team, the Bills received the pick from a playoff team. Unless Hairston is the starting RT for the Bills this year, I grade this trade an F.

This year the Bills trade Evans a STARTING WR for another 4th rnd pick. I expect Evans to do the same thing Lynch did, propel his new team into the playoffs thereby lowering the pick the Bills will get. Unless the draft choice for Evans is a starter, this trade can also be graded an F.

I have said it before & will say it again, to give up a starting player for next to nothing is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. There is no reason to ever expect the Bills to improve when they make moves like this.

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              I stumbled across this article.

Read and enjoy. As usual, lots of nice stuff about the Bills

http://ravens24x7.com/columns/Talkin...-Poor-Decision
              Wysian logic in full bloom too

With the exception of their rout over the hapless Bengals, in 8 other of the Dills’ last 9 games w/ Fitzpatrick under center, the team averaged 13.25 points-per-game, about half, and scored 19 or fewer points in all eight of those games, 14 or fewer in five of those eight.
              I remember when he used to argue that if you took away the best two or three runs Travis Henry made in a game he only averaged 3 yards a carry. he does like to make stats say what he wants to say... glad to see that's not changed.
              Last edited by Ingtar33; 08-21-2011, 10:38 AM.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
                The writer make many good points that I have also made that some Bills fans will just have to see with their own eyes to believe as the season progresses.

Last year the Bills traded Lynch, a STARTING RB to Seattle for a 4th rnd pick. All Lynch did was to propel the Seahawks into the playoffs thereby lowering the 4th rnd pick because instead of a pick from a 7-9 team, the Bills received the pick from a playoff team. Unless Hairston is the starting RT for the Bills this year, I grade this trade an F.

This year the Bills trade Evans a STARTING WR for another 4th rnd pick. I expect Evans to do the same thing Lynch did, propel his new team into the playoffs thereby lowering the pick the Bills will get. Unless the draft choice for Evans is a starter, this trade can also be graded an F.

I have said it before & will say it again, to give up a starting player for next to nothing is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. There is no reason to ever expect the Bills to improve when they make moves like this.
                Um, Lynch "propelled" his team with a whopping 573 yards in 12 games and a 3.5 YPC. The Seahawks were "propelled" into the playoffs by one of the worst divisions in NFL history.
                And, um, the Ravens have been in the playoffs the past three years.
                You are a serial overrater.
                "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                  Wysian logic in full bloom too

I remember when he used to argue that if you took away the best two or three runs Travis Henry made in a game he only averaged 3 yards a carry. he does like to make stats say what he wants to say... glad to see that's not changed.
                  in statistics, it's not uncommon to throw out outliers, but a) there's a statistical method for determining outliers (2 standard deviations from the mean) that I don't believe he applies. He just decides which ones are outliers. And b) I've never seen him apply the logic universally, ie, throw out the 2 or 3 worst performances. If you're gonna throw out the 25 yard run up the middle, you also have to throw out the -2 yard run that happened because one of our **** offensive linemen whiffed on a block.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• clumping platelets

When you have one of the worst running defenses in the league, the offense has fewer chances to score thus lower point scored. Improving the defense is the quickest way back.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                      • May 2009

tell him to stop writing so much. i stopped reading after the tenth paragraph.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                        • Sep 2008

What got me riled up enough to write this piece and come out of self-imposed journalistic exile as it were, was having read a piece that I consider to be typical of demonstrating the short-sightedness that quite often passes not merely as “expert” analysis, but that is a clinic example of how superficial much of what passes for sports journalism can be.
                        I stopped there. My brain almost exploded from reading such a ridiculously long, terribly written sentence.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Philagape
                          Um, Lynch "propelled" his team with a whopping 573 yards in 12 games and a 3.5 YPC. The Seahawks were "propelled" into the playoffs by one of the worst divisions in NFL history.
                          And, um, the Ravens have been in the playoffs the past three years.
                          You are a serial overrater.
                          Lynch also had 6TD's. Without him the Seahawks most likely do not make the playoffs let alone advance to the 2nd rnd which the Seahawks did thanks to a 4th Qtr 67 yd TD run by Lynch which were the winning points against the Saints. The Seahawks putrid OL played a huge part in the 573 yds not to mention Lynch played last year with an ankle sprain.

Just because the Ravens went to the playoffs in the past does not equate to a ticket to the playoffs this year. The Ravens let go of Mason for salary cap reasons as well as a few other good players. They NEEDED Evans or a player like him......a STARTER.

A serial overrater? Go to any Seahawks board or Ravens board & read what the fans of those teams think about Lynch & Evans and the trades their teams made to get them. I will guarantee you 99.9% of both fan bases are very happy their teams made those trades.

Now look at what the Bills received in return last year while Lynch won a playoff game for the Seahawks, the Bills had NOTHING but a 4th rnd pick in their pocket which was used on a likely BACKUP RT. This year, I expect the same, while Evans helps lead the Ravens to the playoffs, the Bills have another 4th rnd pick wich will not help them at all this year & most likely yield just a back up player.

Meanwhile both the Seahawks & Ravens have traded for players that will be starters on their teams for years. Any Bills fan happy with these trades is a SERIAL LOSER.

Comment

• superbills
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            in statistics, it's not uncommon to throw out outliers, but a) there's a statistical method for determining outliers (2 standard deviations from the mean) that I don't believe he applies. He just decides which ones are outliers. And b) I've never seen him apply the logic universally, ie, throw out the 2 or 3 worst performances. If you're gonna throw out the 25 yard run up the middle, you also have to throw out the -2 yard run that happened because one of our **** offensive linemen whiffed on a block.
                            For the record, my wife the statistician applauds your explanation of "outliers"
                            "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                            Ronald Reagan
                            40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by better days
                              A serial overrater? Go to any Seahawks board or Ravens board & read what the fans of those teams think about Lynch & Evans and the trades their teams made to get them. I will guarantee you 99.9% of both fan bases are very happy their teams made those trades.

Any Bills fan happy with these trades is a SERIAL LOSER.
                              One question: are you under the impresion that the Bills turned down better offers just to make a bad deal or that we only called one team? I'm trying to understand the criticism.

IMO we had 2 choices: hold onto Lynch who had become at best a distaction and at worst a cancer or trade him for what we could get. To me that was a no brainer. What he did for Seattle is irrelevant- HE WAS NOT GOING TO DO THAT HERE.

Evans? A good not great player that was wasting his time here. He was on the back nine of his career on a team that is a long way away from being competitive. He stays and we win, what? One more game this year? I would have felt better if we could have wrestled a 3rd away but I am dead certain noone wanted to give that 3rd up. Again what Evans does on a much better team is not too relevant to what he would do here with a QB no better than decent and an OL no better than below average. So I'm neither happy nor unhappy with these trades but I do approve them, they were both sensible if not exciting moves. The NFL isn't Madden.

Comment

Working...
                              X