PDA

View Full Version : Late postgame comments

OpIv37
08-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Some of this may have been said already, but here goes:

-Dareus is a beast. He fought off a double team to get the sack.
-Barnett missed an open field tackle that led to a big gain but made up for it later with a great open field tackle on the screen play
-Even the Denver announcers thought the late hit on Batten was BS.
-None of our LB's can cover the pass, and our DB's aren't much better
-McKelvin is below average.
-Troup was consistently neutralized by second-teamers (although he did get one good pressure). Heard was better.
-I saw a lot of 4 man fronts from both the 1st and 2nd string D. Wanny influence, or just the reality of our lack of LB's?
-Jasper was unimpressive against 3rd stringers.

-The OL is god-awful. Bell and Pears were particularly bad.
-TE Chandler can't block worth a damn.
-Spiller had a few good runs.
-I liked the slant Steve Johnson caught in Champ Bailey's face, and I like the way he went after Rahim Moore after the cheap shot on Jones.
-The first team O couldn't score, even after moving the ball well on the first drive, and even on the drive where Denver spotted them 35 yards in penalties. This is a very discouraging sign.
-Easley had a key drop with the 1st team but looked a little better with the 2nd team. None of the WR's on this team seem ready to take over for Evans. Hopefully getting Parrish back will help.
-The Bills, the Broncos and the Denver fans were classy on the White injury. Hopefully he's ok.
-The White injury highlights how dangerously thin we are at RB.
-Thigpen is terrible. If this OL gets Fitz hurt, as they likely will, we will definitely be in the Luck sweepstakes.
-Levitre can kick some ass against 3rd stringers
-Huggins showed good body control on the TD.
-I realize it was the 4th qtr of a preseason game, but did we really run a ****ing option play? Really? If we are going to use the Wildcat and Brad Smith properly, we're going to have to do better than that.
-Smith did look decent throwing the ball, even if it was against nobody's at the end of the gam.
-TE Pianalto looked decent, although, again, it was against 3rd stringers.

-Moorman boomed a couple of punts. Good to see him back to form, even if he was aided by the thin Denver air.
-As a Notre Dame fan, it was good to see Brady Quinn move the ball. I just wish it wasn't against us.
-There were very few penalties on either team, especially for preseason. That's a good sign and a far cry from the Jauron years.
-Tebow was... meh. Just as I thought he'd be in the NFL.

OpIv37
08-21-2011, 09:06 PM
oh, one more general comment: the new kickoff rule has all but eliminated kickoff returns. It's boring and stupid. They might as well just eliminate kickoffs and give teams the ball on the 20, because now the only time they will matter is when teams go for an on-sides kick.

psubills62
08-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Sounds about right from what I've gathered on here.

Let's hope the Bills were simply letting Denver get confident for our Week 16 meeting.

trapezeus
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Right when we stockpile returners, the return game is all but eliminated.

kingJofNYC
08-21-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure what the issue is with trying to run an option play?

Constraint theory. Auburn's entire offense is "wildcat" aka Wing/t and they run option. IF you want to constrain a defense you better throw and option while you're in any wing formation. Lining up and just running with the QB will only get you so far.

Ingtar33
08-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Right when we stockpile returners, the return game is all but eliminated.
you know the solution for this right?

We need to draft another kickreturner/rb/wr/cd who can also play QB sorta for option plays run out of the wildcat..

Not enough kick returns, need more returners. and gadget players. can't have enough gadget players

Dujek
08-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Agree with almost everything there. Although while Chandler can't block worth a damn he's the best receiving TE on the roster. Which isn't saying much.

Also agree with the Brad Smith comments, his passing on that final drive was crisp and accurate, and I understand he was playing against nobodies, but that doesn't change the fact that passes were landing right in the hands of the intended receivers.

CoolBreeze
08-22-2011, 05:19 AM
I've watched this game twice and it was very obvious that Bills were playing very basic offense and defense. Denver on the other hand played like they were in a playoff game. Buffalo didn't blitz, stunt on d line and didn't play all starters. The offense was very vanilla as well, throwing slants and te screens. It was a good test to see who could do what. With that, it showed Spiller needs to work on picking up the blitz, Torbor is getting old, Bell really struggled with Dumervil. Denver seemed to show everything they got. Can't really hammer Thigpen to much, the guy has played about 10 offensive series in 2 yrs. He has only been in Buffalo a little over 2 weeks. This game was an obvious example of 2 teams trying to accomplish different things. Denver was about winning a pre season game, at all costs, while Buffalo was assessing their players.

YardRat
08-22-2011, 05:31 AM
-There were very few penalties on either team, especially for preseason. That's a good sign and a far cry from the Jauron years.

Looked to me like the refs were avoiding calling any holding penalties at all. I can't remember a game where so many d-linemen were getting tackled by the oline with no flags.

alohabillsfan
08-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Some of this may have been said already, but here goes:

-Dareus is a beast. He fought off a double team to get the sack.
-Barnett missed an open field tackle that led to a big gain but made up for it later with a great open field tackle on the screen play
-Even the Denver announcers thought the late hit on Batten was BS.
-None of our LB's can cover the pass, and our DB's aren't much better
-McKelvin is below average.
-Troup was consistently neutralized by second-teamers (although he did get one good pressure). Heard was better.
-I saw a lot of 4 man fronts from both the 1st and 2nd string D. Wanny influence, or just the reality of our lack of LB's?
-Jasper was unimpressive against 3rd stringers.

-The OL is god-awful. Bell and Pears were particularly bad.
-TE Chandler can't block worth a damn.
-Spiller had a few good runs.
-I liked the slant Steve Johnson caught in Champ Bailey's face, and I like the way he went after Rahim Moore after the cheap shot on Jones.
-The first team O couldn't score, even after moving the ball well on the first drive, and even on the drive where Denver spotted them 35 yards in penalties. This is a very discouraging sign.
-Easley had a key drop with the 1st team but looked a little better with the 2nd team. None of the WR's on this team seem ready to take over for Evans. Hopefully getting Parrish back will help.
-The Bills, the Broncos and the Denver fans were classy on the White injury. Hopefully he's ok.
-Thigpen is terrible. If this OL gets Fitz hurt, as they likely will, we will definitely be in the Luck sweepstakes.
-Levitre can kick some ass against 3rd stringers
-Huggins showed good body control on the TD.
-I realize it was the 4th qtr of a preseason game, but did we really run a ****ing option play? Really? If we are going to use the Wildcat and Brad Smith properly, we're going to have to do better than that.
-Smith did look decent throwing the ball, even if it was against nobody's at the end of the gam.
-TE Pianalto looked decent, although, again, it was against 3rd stringers.

-Moorman boomed a couple of punts. Good to see him back to form, even if he was aided by the thin Denver air.
-As a Notre Dame fan, it was good to see Brady Quinn move the ball. I just wish it wasn't against us.
-Tebow was... meh. Just as I thought he'd be in the NFL.

Well, I applaud you for being able to watch the whole debacle, as I could not. So Thanks!

mysticsoto
08-22-2011, 06:30 AM

Where'd you get this from??? Bruce Hall looked much better than White anyway and might have been pushing him out of the spot regardless. Dangerously thin at RB?? Oh no...what will we do for our 3rd string RB...C'mon Op...that screams drama queen. Hall, the 5th stringer Ezla (sp ?) or a host of players still available could easily fill that slot.

DraftBoy
08-22-2011, 06:54 AM
I dont think the Moore hit was a cheap shot at all. He did not lead with his head, though high helmet did make contact. The only thing he did wrong was that he left his feet.

On a scale of vicious and illegal hits this one ranks low. That being said I still love the way Stevie wanted a piece of him after the shot.

DraftBoy
08-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Where'd you get this from??? Bruce Hall looked much better than White anyway and might have been pushing him out of the spot regardless. Dangerously thin at RB?? Oh no...what will we do for our 3rd string RB...C'mon Op...that screams drama queen. Hall, the 5th stringer Ezla (sp ?) or a host of players still available could easily fill that slot.

Hvaing three RB's only is very thin. Dallas and NYG are teams that both use three RB deep rotations and at times due to fatigue or injury have to get to their fourth RB. We don't have a 4th RB on this roster, let alone a true power back.

mysticsoto
08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Hvaing three RB's only is very thin. Dallas and NYG are teams that both use three RB deep rotations and at times due to fatigue or injury have to get to their fourth RB. We don't have a 4th RB on this roster, let alone a true power back.

What? I don't think so. 3 RBs is likely what we'll have come regular season. Dallas and NYG are not the Bills and we don't implement runnign back by committee so i fail to see what they have to do with the Bills. We had 6 backs on the roster until White went out. And obtaining a low string RB is as easy as it gets in terms of players to grab and that can jump right in.

Are you going to be another one that makes mountains out of mole hills? Out of all the things to complain about from Saturday, this one shouldn't even register on the richter scale!!!

DraftBoy
08-22-2011, 07:11 AM
What? I don't think so. 3 RBs is likely what we'll have come regular season. Dallas and NYG are not the Bills and we don't implement runnign back by committee so i fail to see what they have to do with the Bills. We had 6 backs on the roster until White went out. And obtaining a low string RB is as easy as it gets in terms of players to grab and that can jump right in.

Are you going to be another one that makes mountains out of mole hills? Out of all the things to complain about from Saturday, this one shouldn't even register on the richter scale!!!

We don't implement a RB by committee approach? Well then explain using a #1 pick on a RB last year? Or a 5th this year? While I would agree that we havent in the past, its pretty clear they plan to start using more RB's in both carries and receptions this year. We will see less Jackson and more Spiller and White if healthy.

Ive been in on the need for a short yardage back for quite a while now. Still don't have one.

OpIv37
08-22-2011, 07:17 AM

Well, we regularly used both Jackson and Spiller in games last year. Do you honestly think that Hall, Ezley and White will all make the team? I bet only one of the 3 make it, and even if they keep 4 of those 5, the talent drop off- is significant, and it's only going to take one injury before the 3rd string guy starts seeing time on the field.

mysticsoto
08-22-2011, 07:56 AM
We don't implement a RB by committee approach? Well then explain using a #1 pick on a RB last year? Or a 5th this year? While I would agree that we havent in the past, its pretty clear they plan to start using more RB's in both carries and receptions this year. We will see less Jackson and more Spiller and White if healthy.

Ive been in on the need for a short yardage back for quite a while now. Still don't have one.

I can't explain it. It was a bad pick!!! I said so when we did it and I'm still saying it now. They hoped Spiller would take over #1 and he hasn't been able to. It's as simple as that.

mysticsoto
08-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Well, we regularly used both Jackson and Spiller in games last year. Do you honestly think that Hall, Ezley and White will all make the team? I bet only one of the 3 make it, and even if they keep 4 of those 5, the talent drop off- is significant, and it's only going to take one injury before the 3rd string guy starts seeing time on the field.

We used both b'cse they wanted to get Spiller experience. But I think Chan envisioned Spiller taking over as the #1 back and he has not been able to. No, I do not envision all 3 making the team. Not sure why that would be the point of anything. Carrying 3 RBs is sufficient. Right now, even aside White's injury, Hall outplayed him and has more experience. He may get the nod anyway. If White is ok from his injury, he may just get PS'ed.

Jan Reimers
08-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I think we're thinner at WR, at least talent wise, than at RB, and now we have injuries to the brittle Parrish, the ex-first round bust Davis, and the basically untested Jones and Roosevelt. We have to hope these guys get healthier, the so-far very quiet David Nelson starts to do something, and the totally untested Easley is the player everyone hopes he is. That's a lot of serious hoping.

I'm really glad we were in such a yank to dump Lee Evans for that monster 4th round draft pick.

Novacane
08-22-2011, 08:36 AM
I'm really glad we were in such a yank to dump Lee Evans for that monster 3 million savings for Ralph

What you should have posted ;)

trapezeus
08-22-2011, 08:50 AM

We need to draft another kickreturner/rb/wr/cd who can also play QB sorta for option plays run out of the wildcat..

Not enough kick returns, need more returners. and gadget players. can't have enough gadget players

absolutely right about this. lombardi once said, "championships are won with special teams." Or something to that effect. don't ask me for specifics, i just work for the bills front office.

trapezeus
08-22-2011, 08:54 AM
from the little i've watched, we have fred as the running back. spiller seems to be more gadget-y and receiver based. Hence why gailey is so demanding that he be better at blocking. And that makes sense.

the options from there, even when healthy, fall off fast. White is hard to judge from the bears game. he was stuck behind the backups and was met early every time he touched the ball.

Hall has looked good at times in pre-season before.

I haven't seen the other guys.

I'd be fine trying these guys out as a rotation if i had any belief that the Oline could handle the rigors. I don't think the starting unit is that good and we somehow can't stop from getting injured each year. So expect lesser linemen to come into the game, making it even harder on the backs. The only person i trust as a workhorse is fred. and he's older.

I concur, we are dangerously thin at running backs.

psubills62
08-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Exactly how many of these have they drafted?

Oaf
08-22-2011, 09:05 AM
What you should have posted ;)
I don't think Ralph had the balls to trade Evans..

I see it as a cocky move by Nix to try and count his chickens well before the hatched.

Mski
08-22-2011, 09:13 AM
I dont think the Moore hit was a cheap shot at all. He did not lead with his head, though high helmet did make contact. The only thing he did wrong was that he left his feet.

On a scale of vicious and illegal hits this one ranks low. That being said I still love the way Stevie wanted a piece of him after the shot. that was definitely a head hunters hit, 1 he launched himself at a recieve knowing they were going to be laid out for the catch, 2 he went high and put the crown of his helmet square to the chin, if moore didnt lay out he would have taken his head off, 3 it was way late.

mysticsoto
08-22-2011, 09:19 AM
from the little i've watched, we have fred as the running back. spiller seems to be more gadget-y and receiver based. Hence why gailey is so demanding that he be better at blocking. And that makes sense.

the options from there, even when healthy, fall off fast. White is hard to judge from the bears game. he was stuck behind the backups and was met early every time he touched the ball.

Hall has looked good at times in pre-season before.

I haven't seen the other guys.

I'd be fine trying these guys out as a rotation if i had any belief that the Oline could handle the rigors. I don't think the starting unit is that good and we somehow can't stop from getting injured each year. So expect lesser linemen to come into the game, making it even harder on the backs. The only person i trust as a workhorse is fred. and he's older.

I concur, we are dangerously thin at running backs.
Hall was very decent last year also. It's just that we had FJ, CJ and Lynch initially. Then, when we got rid of Lynch, they tried to find a powerback to complement, but it was dumb. If they wanted someone with power, the better option would have been to keep Lynch. A 4th rder is nothing. Just like they've done with Evans. I don't care if Chan wants receivers that can do it all. For a 4th rder, it didn't make sense to trade Evans at all!!!

The only reason I can possibly subscribe to why they traded Evans and why they haven't brought in anybody else to try on the Oline is b'cse they want to tank this season also in hopes of being in the Luck sweepstakes.

If that's not their reasoning, then this FO has some serious lapses in judgement!!!

trapezeus
08-22-2011, 09:31 AM
it's kind of sad tht at we are at the point that either their best plan is to go after a QB in next year's draft. Otherwise, it just proves that they suck.

it's also maddening that this team continues to get out thought by most of the people on this board.

k-oneputt
08-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Doesn't even matter who the rb's and wr's are until they fix the o-line.

Their two starting tackles both suck and are NFL backups at best.

Cntrygal
08-22-2011, 10:02 AM
I've watched this game twice and it was very obvious that Bills were playing very basic offense and defense. Denver on the other hand played like they were in a playoff game. Buffalo didn't blitz, stunt on d line and didn't play all starters. The offense was very vanilla as well, throwing slants and te screens. It was a good test to see who could do what. With that, it showed Spiller needs to work on picking up the blitz, Torbor is getting old, Bell really struggled with Dumervil. Denver seemed to show everything they got. Can't really hammer Thigpen to much, the guy has played about 10 offensive series in 2 yrs. He has only been in Buffalo a little over 2 weeks. This game was an obvious example of 2 teams trying to accomplish different things. Denver was about winning a pre season game, at all costs, while Buffalo was assessing their players.

Were you being punished for something?

madness
08-22-2011, 10:37 AM
You're spot on with this post. Apparently Denver didn't get the memo. Even though I didn't mind what the Bills were doing, I just felt like we were putting our players health and safety at risk with Denver playing lights out. I liked what they did because the lack of talent on this team became quickly apparent... especially on the OL. They weren't sliding protection or chipping incoming pass rushers to help out the tackles. The scary part was how Bell performed out there on his own. :nervous: