PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Fred Jackson view. May be unpopular

bf1
08-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I really like Fred. Really. But he's average at best. I love his hard work and dedication though.

What struck me is when an average player feels disrespected or not appreciated, that doesn't bode well for the caliber of talent around him.

Kinda like the tallest midget. <---- no bf1 jokes allowed.

BidsJr
08-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I really like Fred. Really. But he's average at best. I love his hard work and dedication though.

What struck me is when an average player feels disrespected or not appreciated, that doesn't bode well for the caliber of talent around him.

Kinda like the tallest midget. <---- no bf1 jokes allowed.

Although I do not fault the team for trying to get Spiller a much larger role this year, calling Fred "average at best" is about the worst evaluation I have ever seen. (no offense Draftboy)

bf1
08-23-2011, 09:10 AM
What is he then? Top 10 in the league? Top 15?

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2011, 09:13 AM
He is a solid all around player.

I get what you are saying though. He certainly isn't top 10 RBs in the league.

I feel he should be the unquestioned starter.

BillsWin
08-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Spiller was the number 9 pick in the NFL draft and was widely considered one of the most explosive talents of said draft and possibly in years. So, if he is beginning to even provide glimpses that he is untapping his potential, I don't care who was starting before, you give him the rock.

justasportsfan
08-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Like Lee, Jackson is not going to be part of this teams core for years to come. I'm not surprised that Buddy and co. want to give Spiller more snaps.

BillsFanCupp38
08-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Every position should have competition and the coaching staff needs to be able to evaluate effectively to get the best players on the field. I understand that part. But Fred is not "a little ahead" as Gailey said. He is lightyears ahead of Spiller who is just not getting it done like the veteran.

The King
08-23-2011, 09:20 AM
He's been the best back in the division for a while.

OpIv37
08-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Spiller was the number 9 pick in the NFL draft and was widely considered one of the most explosive talents of said draft and possibly in years. So, if he is beginning to even provide glimpses that he is untapping his potential, I don't care who was starting before, you give him the rock.

logical follow-up question: Is Spiller being given the chance to start because he's been outplaying Jackson, or is he being given the chance to start because he's the #9 overall pick and has the accompanying paycheck?

If Spiller is outplaying Jackson, then Jackson should STFU and be a professional. If Jackson is playing better than Spiller and Spiller is still being given the chance to start because of how he was obtained and how much he makes, then I'm on Jackson's side.

mysticsoto
FJ is very elusive and that's not an avg skillset I've seen. With Jauron, he brought in pass blocking Linemen (that weren't that good). FJ has never had a good line to work behind and still manages to get decent yardage. That tells me he is good. He's not an elite RB if that is what you are referring to, but there are very few elite RBs in the league overall anyway.

I always thought that had we kept Lynch, we'd have an elite combination RB corp. Lynch - Power. FJ - elusive, CJ - speed. I thought our corps was mismanaged entirely. On good run D teams, start Lynch, follow with CJ and in the 4th, when they are more tired give them a dose of FJ. For weak Run D teams (or once we have a good lead), start CJ, follow with FJ, finish with Lynch.

The RBs stay fresh since they play slightly more than a quarter, and D's have to keep changing to reflect who is in. This wouldn't be set in stone, obviously, and if there's a back that is just torching the other team, you leave them in.

That is how I thought our RBs should've been handled last yr. But they gave Lynch away for nothing and now aren't showing appreciation to FJ.

If they trade FJ I really might be done with this team...

BillsFanCupp38
Like Lee, Jackson is not going to be part of this teams core for years to come. I'm not surprised that Buddy and co. want to give Spiller more snaps.

Yeah but obviously that is not a "win now" attitude. That's hopefully win later which seems to be the Bills direction this year.

bf1
08-23-2011, 09:22 AM
He is a solid all around player.

I get what you are saying though. He certainly isn't top 10 RBs in the league.

I feel he should be the unquestioned starter.

I'm not saying I blame him. But when someone of his level is complaining, then something is wrong.

THATHURMANATOR
08-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm not saying I blame him. But when someone of his level is complaining, then something is wrong.
BINGO!

BidsJr
08-23-2011, 09:31 AM

He is an above average back. Top 15. That is without ever getting a full season as the unquestioned starter.

Forward_Lateral
08-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Fred is a top 20 RB. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top 10. He's a workhorse, who's going to grind out defenses, and soften them up for Spiller to come in and break a big one.

I think Freddy should be happy the Bills gave him a shot in the NFL, when nobody else would. It's not like he's going to get 5 carries a game, because Spiller isn't built to carry the bulk of the load.

The Jokeman
08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
He's been the best back in the division for a while.
and where's that gotten us? Spiller has a chance to be an elite league talent. Granted I always believe talent should produce regardless of surrounding but still think we have to see if he is in fact the next Marshall Faulk that some predicted or the next Reggie Bush.

trapezeus
08-23-2011, 10:24 AM
what kind of wuss is spiller that he needs to be coddled like this? Wouldn't it mean more to you, if you were told, "hey that guy is flat out better than you and he's the starter. When you want to run like him, we'll make you a starter."

Jackson isn't a top 10 running back in the league, but he is a top 1 running back on this crappy team. He isn't long for the team, but when you have the best player on your team saying he doesn't get it, that doesn't make a happy locker room.

Spiller may be the long term answer, but he better prove it or what we'll have is an upset #1 running back who is at the end of his contract that won't come back and a bust who can't really take the load. as a result, we'll have openned up one more spot of need on this team that is totally unnecessary.

BillsWin
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
logical follow-up question: Is Spiller being given the chance to start because he's been outplaying Jackson, or is he being given the chance to start because he's the #9 overall pick and has the accompanying paycheck?

If Spiller is outplaying Jackson, then Jackson should STFU and be a professional. If Jackson is playing better than Spiller and Spiller is still being given the chance to start because of how he was obtained and how much he makes, then I'm on Jackson's side.

Wouldn't know the answer because I haven't been able to watch. But I agree with your statement. If Spiller is performing, he gets the rock and Jackson needs to shut his trap and take advantage of his carries.

I don't think Spiller getting more carries has as much to do with the pick he was taken. I think it has more to do with, look we've got this talent. We need to use it.

He can't make plays if you don't give him the football, so I think the coaches are trying to provide him with an opportunity to make plays and un-tap that potential.

I have no problem with it. Jackson should take advantage of his carries instead of whining about splitting time.

The King
08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
and where's that gotten us? Spiller has a chance to be an elite league talent. Granted I always believe talent should produce regardless of surrounding but still think we have to see if he is in fact the next Marshall Faulk that some predicted or the next Reggie Bush.

You need to earn your spot. Not assume it. Just ask JP Losman.

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-23-2011, 11:35 AM
He was exactly what the Buffalo fan loves. He works hard, he plays hard, he is the underdog, he has heart, guts, and he doesn't whine about it, at least he didn't whine before this. Buffalo fan doesn't care for the whiner.

kingJofNYC
08-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Fred Jackson is severely underrated. Think about the numbers he's put up and that's without being the number 1 back coming into any season. Last year he almost hit 1000 yards rushing and he was basically a non factor the first 4 games of the season. Give him more touches and you can pencil him for 1500 yards from scrimmage every year.

He can pass protect, run outside and inside, has above average hands, and great vision. If Fred was on the Patriots you'd see he's more than just average. Dude makes this pile of **** OL look good.

Pro Football Focus has him as a top ten back over the last 3 years. (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/29/making-the-grade-running-backs-2008-2010/)

Night Train
08-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Extend him by 3 years 15 Mil (5 Mil upfront) and all will be well.

feldspar
08-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Bills fans are so hungry for offensive talent that they overrate Freddie, and it doesn't hurt that it's easy to root for the underdog. Freddie is good, not great. He's versatile...he can run, catch, and block effectively. He can even return kicks if we wanted him to. He's good. Good players share the workload. Freddie should not be mouthing off to the press about how his feelings are hurt if he has to go running back by committee with our 9th overall pick, who some people don't want to give much of a chance to for some reason. People respect Freddie anyway, and part of the reason I respect him is because I thought he was a team player.

feldspar
08-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Fred Jackson is severely underrated.

When you have nearly everyone saying that, it's not the case.

mysticsoto
08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Bills fans are so hungry for offensive talent that they overrate Freddie, and it doesn't hurt that it's easy to root for the underdog. Freddie is good, not great. He's versatile...he can run, catch, and block effectively. He can even return kicks if we wanted him to. He's good. Good players share the workload. Freddie should not be mouthing off to the press about how his feelings are hurt if he has to go running back by committee with our 9th overall pick, who some people don't want to give much of a chance to for some reason. People respect Freddie anyway, and part of the reason I respect him is because I thought he was a team player.

??? I think most people here said Freddie was good. More importantly, what they are saying is that Freddie is better than CJ - atleast how things stand right now.

feldspar
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
??? I think most people here said Freddie was good. More importantly, what they are saying is that Freddie is better than CJ - atleast how things stand right now.

Chan says he looks at it like we have two number ones. That's good enough for me. As things stand now, I think CJ's POTENTIAL far outweighs Freddie's, and how are you going to develop that if CJ doesn't play much? He hasn't even had more than 9 carries in a single game yet.

TedMock
08-23-2011, 02:49 PM
It's the line. The deal with Jackson is that he's a solid back, good team leader, tough and versatile. He's also an intelligent ball player and a pretty savvy veteran back. None of this should be discounted. Behind a crappy line, he's the better option. Behind a good line, I would say the more explosive, faster Spiller is the better option. He would be able to live through some youthful mistakes like patience issues, missing holes, cutbacks, etc that many good young backs make if the line wasn't so god awful. I don't know if it's Chan, Buddy, Ralph, or a combination of all of the above, but somebody(ies) has swung and missed a few times.

kingJofNYC
08-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Sadly, the only fans who rate Freddie are Bills fans, the rest of the league doesn't know squat about the guy.

So while we may be fans, very few of those fans reside outside of Buffalo. Guy would be talked about throughout the league if he were on a better team. He's the best all around back we've had since Thomas.

He's obviously better than CJ right now, but that's not saying much. Spiller has to step it up.

mysticsoto
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Sadly, the only fans who rate Freddie are Bills fans, the rest of the league doesn't know squat about the guy.

So while we may be fans, very few of those fans reside outside of Buffalo. Guy would be talked about throughout the league if he were on a better team. He's the best all around back we've had since Thomas.

He's obviously better than CJ right now, but that's not saying much. Spiller has to step it up.

Ask Belichek what he thinks of FJ...

kishoph
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
what kind of wuss is spiller that he needs to be coddled like this? Wouldn't it mean more to you, if you were told, "hey that guy is flat out better than you and he's the starter. When you want to run like him, we'll make you a starter."

Wait, isn't it JACKSON the one that's looking to be "coddled" ?

mysticsoto
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Wait, isn't it JACKSON the one that's looking to be "coddled" ?

It sounds like he just wants to know where he stands.

kishoph
08-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Could be so, but I don't think you can blame SPILLER for this, saying he's wanting to be "coddled" or being unreasonable.

mysticsoto
08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Could be so, but I don't think you can blame SPILLER for this, saying he's wanting to be "coddled" or being unreasonable.

I don't really blame Spiller for what Chan said. I blame him for not producing on the field. I blame Chan for making that comment and if it was indeed done b'cse CJ "needs it" then I'd blame Spiller for being a big baby.

feldspar
08-23-2011, 03:33 PM

Why is like we have to choose one or the other? We have both guys, and we should USE both guys. We shouldn't have to put one down just to talk up the other. There is plenty of room for both guys to be productive.

alohabillsfan
08-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I am really tiring of these players and their thin skin and massive egos. Good grief, your getting payed to play a game! Be fu*&ing happy! WOW, freaking babies! Glad I dont have these guys in the military.

kingJofNYC
08-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Ask Belichek what he thinks of FJ...

Freddie rips that ass up.

Go look at his numbers against the Pats, he's killed them in the past. Can't argue with the hood, who would know better?

mysticsoto
08-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Why is like we have to choose one or the other? We have both guys, and we should USE both guys. We shouldn't have to put one down just to talk up the other. There is plenty of room for both guys to be productive.

I agree, but if FJ is saying he doesn't know where he stands, then it sounds like there are communication issues that Chan has to be on top of.

On the field, I have no problem with Spiller getting in on some plays that best reflect his talents. The starting RB and the one who gets the most reps, I think, should still be FJ.

YardRat
08-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd dump Spiller in a heartbeat if I had to make a choice between the two and could only keep one. Freddie is the kind of back that you design an offense around, Spiller is somebody you sprinkle into the offense here and there and hope for a lightning strike.

It would be nice if both could co-exist and be utilized to their full potential, but there is absolutely no question in any sane, rational mind who the #1 guy for this team should be.

feldspar
08-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Freddie is the kind of back that you design an offense around

Freddie is 30-and-a-half years old, and he's had one 1,000 rushing season. The only reason he had that was because he gained over 200 yards in the final game against the Colts' third-stringers. He's also only had 10 rushing TDs in his NFL career...along with 4 receiving TDs. That's not the kind of production of a guy that has ever actually carried an NFL team.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Freddie is 30-and-a-half years old, and he's had one 1,000 rushing season. The only reason he had that was because he gained over 200 yards in the final game against the Colts' third-stringers. He's also only had 10 rushing TDs in his NFL career...along with 4 receiving TDs. That's not the kind of production of a guy that has ever actually carried an NFL team.

Freddie Jackson is Derrick Ward. Similar type.

YardRat
08-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Did I say 'carried an NFL team'?

Could of swore it was 'design an offense around'.

Not the same.

SoFlaBill34
08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Fred would be considered a top 10 back if they would just have confidence in him and make him a workhorse back. I would love to see what Fred could do given the bulk of snaps every game for a full season. I guarantee he would finish in the top 10 in rushing yards. He is the type of back that needs carries to get in rhythm.

Extremebillsfan247
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM

Kinda like the tallest midget. <---- no bf1 jokes allowed.Well you should already know that an average player for most teams would be a star on this one. In my opinion, Fred Jackson is the only other player on this entire team next to Kyle Williams who has earned the right to voice his opinion whether it's liked or not. Fred Jackson deserves better than the crap he has had to deal with as a Buffalo Bill.

Philagape
08-23-2011, 09:15 PM
I don't see why this has to be a contentious competition. This isn't a QB controversy; both can be in the game a lot. They have such different skill sets, they can be used in different situations, even both on the field at the same time. Let the work be divvied up as it happens; give the ball to the hot hand. Make them both earn it.

Or just make Spiller a WR, he's probably the second-best one right now.

The Jokeman
08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Well you should already know that an average player for most teams would be a star on this one. In my opinion, Fred Jackson is the only other player on this entire team next to Kyle Williams who has earned the right to voice his opinion whether it's liked or not. Fred Jackson deserves better than the crap he has had to deal with as a Buffalo Bill.
Jackson got lucky that Levy took a chance on him. I doubt no one here would have even heard of Jackson had Marv Levy never went to Coe college to begin with. I give Freddie his due to proving that he can play and play well in the NFL but again don't blame Gailey for wanting to see if Spiller can be better. Granted I still stand by my thoughts from last year when was calling for Bryan Beluga or even Dez Bryant to be drafted.