X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bf1
    • Oct 2010

Alternative Fred Jackson view. May be unpopular

I really like Fred. Really. But he's average at best. I love his hard work and dedication though.

What struck me is when an average player feels disrespected or not appreciated, that doesn't bode well for the caliber of talent around him.

Kinda like the tallest midget. <---- no bf1 jokes allowed.

• BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Re: Alternative Fred Jackson view. May be unpopular

Originally posted by bf1
    I really like Fred. Really. But he's average at best. I love his hard work and dedication though.

What struck me is when an average player feels disrespected or not appreciated, that doesn't bode well for the caliber of talent around him.

Kinda like the tallest midget. <---- no bf1 jokes allowed.
    Although I do not fault the team for trying to get Spiller a much larger role this year, calling Fred "average at best" is about the worst evaluation I have ever seen. (no offense Draftboy)
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• bf1
      • Oct 2010

What is he then? Top 10 in the league? Top 15?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bf1
        He is a solid all around player.

I get what you are saying though. He certainly isn't top 10 RBs in the league.

I feel he should be the unquestioned starter.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Spiller was the number 9 pick in the NFL draft and was widely considered one of the most explosive talents of said draft and possibly in years. So, if he is beginning to even provide glimpses that he is untapping his potential, I don't care who was starting before, you give him the rock.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Like Lee, Jackson is not going to be part of this teams core for years to come. I'm not surprised that Buddy and co. want to give Spiller more snaps.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
              • Mar 2004

Every position should have competition and the coaching staff needs to be able to evaluate effectively to get the best players on the field. I understand that part. But Fred is not "a little ahead" as Gailey said. He is lightyears ahead of Spiller who is just not getting it done like the veteran.
              Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• The King
                Without me it's just Awe so
                • Jun 2004

He's been the best back in the division for a while.
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                  Spiller was the number 9 pick in the NFL draft and was widely considered one of the most explosive talents of said draft and possibly in years. So, if he is beginning to even provide glimpses that he is untapping his potential, I don't care who was starting before, you give him the rock.
                  logical follow-up question: Is Spiller being given the chance to start because he's been outplaying Jackson, or is he being given the chance to start because he's the #9 overall pick and has the accompanying paycheck?

If Spiller is outplaying Jackson, then Jackson should STFU and be a professional. If Jackson is playing better than Spiller and Spiller is still being given the chance to start because of how he was obtained and how much he makes, then I'm on Jackson's side.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

FJ is very elusive and that's not an avg skillset I've seen. With Jauron, he brought in pass blocking Linemen (that weren't that good). FJ has never had a good line to work behind and still manages to get decent yardage. That tells me he is good. He's not an elite RB if that is what you are referring to, but there are very few elite RBs in the league overall anyway.

I always thought that had we kept Lynch, we'd have an elite combination RB corp. Lynch - Power. FJ - elusive, CJ - speed. I thought our corps was mismanaged entirely. On good run D teams, start Lynch, follow with CJ and in the 4th, when they are more tired give them a dose of FJ. For weak Run D teams (or once we have a good lead), start CJ, follow with FJ, finish with Lynch.

The RBs stay fresh since they play slightly more than a quarter, and D's have to keep changing to reflect who is in. This wouldn't be set in stone, obviously, and if there's a back that is just torching the other team, you leave them in.

That is how I thought our RBs should've been handled last yr. But they gave Lynch away for nothing and now aren't showing appreciation to FJ.

If they trade FJ I really might be done with this team...

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      Like Lee, Jackson is not going to be part of this teams core for years to come. I'm not surprised that Buddy and co. want to give Spiller more snaps.

Yeah but obviously that is not a "win now" attitude. That's hopefully win later which seems to be the Bills direction this year.
                      Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• bf1
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                        He is a solid all around player.

I get what you are saying though. He certainly isn't top 10 RBs in the league.

I feel he should be the unquestioned starter.
                        I'm not saying I blame him. But when someone of his level is complaining, then something is wrong.
                        Last edited by bf1; 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by bf1
                          I'm not saying I blame him. But when someone of his level is complaining, then something is wrong.
                          BINGO!

Comment

• BidsJr
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by bf1

He is an above average back. Top 15. That is without ever getting a full season as the unquestioned starter.
                            "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Fred is a top 20 RB. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top 10. He's a workhorse, who's going to grind out defenses, and soften them up for Spiller to come in and break a big one.

I think Freddy should be happy the Bills gave him a shot in the NFL, when nobody else would. It's not like he's going to get 5 carries a game, because Spiller isn't built to carry the bulk of the load.

Comment

Working...
                              X