PDA

View Full Version : Sully weighs in on the mess

bf1
08-24-2011, 07:55 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article530748.ece

Seriously is there any optimistic fans left?

Jan Reimers
08-24-2011, 08:32 AM

I recently left that group. The last 11 years, coupled with Ralph's performance under the new CBA's provision of no 2011/2012 cap floor, has finally convinced me that he is a cheap old man who is no longer even remotely interested in winning.

The fact that it took me 51+ years to come to this conclusion is indicative of nothing other than I am a slow learner.

trapezeus
08-24-2011, 09:00 AM
i never thought i'd see a day where Op and Jan would get along based on their opinions on the possible success of a football season. thanks Ralph, you bastard.

Mahdi
08-24-2011, 09:12 AM

At this point I think half of Bills fans are Jerry Sullivans, the other half are closet Jerry Sullivans.

PromoTheRobot
08-24-2011, 09:29 AM
It amazes me how people swallow Jerry's load without thinking about whether he makes any sense. First, what NFL team relies on one back...a 30 year old back at that? Most teams want 2 guys who are starter quality. Second, Spiller was no reach at #9. Maybe we needed other players more, but every mock draft had Spiller berween 5 to 10.

We all know what Jerry Sunshine's job is...feeding raw meat to the haters. No one is going to fact check him anyway. And by the way Jackson is acting like a baby.

PTR

trapezeus
08-24-2011, 09:35 AM
the bills have to take care of the productive babies if they want to convince any talented players to show up.

and the build through the draft piece is only as valuable as 1. drafting good players and 2. keepign them here once they are here.

i think it's funny that people think we are sabotaging to get luck. that would actually mean there is a plan. the bills don't have one. it's literally to suck as much money out of the fan base as is humanly accepted and for some reason, this year, i think the equal split of realists and optimists has broken. and realists are growing and the new realists are the most angry.

I hope every time the bills are down by 14 at home the chant, "ralph wilson sucks" rings out. The man has brought this on himself.

EDS
08-24-2011, 09:43 AM
It amazes me how people swallow Jerry's load without thinking about whether he makes any sense. First, what NFL team relies on one back...a 30 year old back at that? Most teams want 2 guys who are starter quality. Second, Spiller was no reach at #9. Maybe we needed other players more, but every mock draft had Spiller berween 5 to 10.

We all know what Jerry Sunshine's job is...feeding raw meat to the haters. No one is going to fact check him anyway. And by the way Jackson is acting like a baby.

PTR

Bills had two starting caliber backs on their roster when they drafted Spiller. Not to mention the fact that RB is one of the easiest positons to find useful talent later in the draft or as undrafted free agents.

Ebenezer
08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
I recently left that group. The last 11 years, coupled with Ralph's performance under the new CBA's provision of no 2011/2012 cap floor, has finally convinced me that he is a cheap old man who is no longer even remotely interested in winning.

The fact that it took me 51+ years to come to this conclusion is indicative of nothing other than I am a slow learner.

In 51 years RW has never taken it seriously. I don't know how the 64/65, 74/75 Bills won anything. Sure RW hired Lou Saban but I put the success all on Lou. Had RW not broken the bank for Chuck Knox the 80-82 success would never have happened. So, sure, we can RW a little credit but for the most part his ownership has been benign neglect. The Polian years never would have happened if Terry Bledsoe not popped his heart and RW simply passed the baton on to Polian. Bledsoe gets all the credit for hiring Polian; not RW. Further, when examining the winning years with John Butler, you still have to credit Polian for bringing him to Buffalo. RW simply did what he always does - pass the baton on to the next in line.

Ebenezer
08-24-2011, 09:53 AM

PTR

I have never been a Sullivan fan so I find your post a little insulting, no offense. However, he's dead on. This team is clueless, directionless and can the fault can be traced right back to RW.

BillsWin
08-24-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure how much more mediocrity I can take. The absolute neglect of the front office is astounding. To be honest, I'm in love with the last two and a half drafts. But, everything else the front office is doing makes me believe that Ralph is meddling or that Buddy may be a one trick pony. Good at the draft, inept in free agency and trades.

At this rate, we'll be good in 5 years instead of the 2 or 3 a few good acquisitions would help do.

Get Fitzpatrick protection. Trade a middle round pick or something better to get some talent in here. Sign a veteran receiver like a Housh or a Mason to hold down the fort for our young'ns. Do SOMETHING to show that Ralph's not cheap and we have a chance at progress.

For crying out loud, the fans have been through enough.

Mahdi
08-24-2011, 10:24 AM

PTR
I never really appreciated Sullivan's articles, but he does have major points of contention as do Bills fans.

-- No OT or OG brought in through FA on the worst OL in the league at present. How does that happen when you have the third most cap space?

-- Spending money on a 3rd string QB/return guy/wildcat trickster -- it may give us another weapon but if our spending power is so limited how bout we address the safety position, or OL or LB spot first.

-- Depending on Chris Kelsay (again) as our LOLB.

-- Trading Evans away for a 4th. I was in semi support of that move only because we had a bunch of receivers that seem on the verge of breaking out, but a 4th only? As someone else said, why not wait till a WR goes down and trade him for a 3 or a 2 even.

-- Trading away Peters cause he wanted to be paid like an elite LT (has been to 2 PBs since). Joe Thomas just got a 7 year 84 mil contract. That is what 100% of NFL franchises do with young PB LTs. And I hope no one really thinks we are better off because we got Eric Wood out of it. Peters is 10x more valuable than Wood.

-- Letting Pat Williams go and he went on to 4 more PBs or something

-- Winfield, Clements, Poz (I was ok with this), Spikes etc.

Weird position changes, giving Kelsay 25 mil, passing on QBs in the draft (McCoy, Clausen)

I think there have been too many bad decisions...... and counting....

ParanoidAndroid
08-24-2011, 10:47 AM
The last time the team made any kind of effort to get a winner was when they hired Wade Phillips.
I forget..... how did that all go to ****?
Oh yeah! Ralph intervened in player decisions.

SquishDaFish
08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm out of that optimistic group as well. **** this owner

Bill Cody
08-24-2011, 11:11 AM
I prefer to look at this from a positive view. Ralph has been much better for the Bills than Khaddafi has for Libya. Just sayin.

Night Train
08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Ralph was always surrounding himself in the old days with his company people but the recent actions seem to be an overreaction to the TD era, where he did give day to day control to someone who failed.

This was immediately followed by the Dick Jauron, no real GM era (spending poorly on FA's like Dockery,Walker,horrid drafts) and now the accountant Jim Overdorf era where Nix & Gailey are undermined by a ledger sheet and minimal effort to sign needed FA's. I'm actually surprised they got Barnett to come here.

Extensions of Kyle Williams, Fed Jackson and a few others are needed but lets see how long they leave them hanging in the wind, all in the name of profit.

Bert102176
08-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I wish someone would do a drive by on the old mutha

TrEd FTW
08-24-2011, 03:18 PM

PTR
http://www.peoplequiz.com/images/quizzes/kool-aid.gif-6763.gif

The Jokeman
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM

PTR
Ummm we had two RBs in Jackson and Lynch so Spiller was a third. I'm not saying he wasn't a value pick because he was and still hoping he proves to it this season. That said as stated last year I felt the best short term and long term value looked to be WR Dez Bryant.

Bill Cody
08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Ummm we had two RBs in Jackson and Lynch so Spiller was a third. I'm not saying he wasn't a value pick because he was and still hoping he proves to it this season. That said as stated last year I felt the best short term and long term value looked to be WR Dez Bryant.

The FO knew Lynch was headed out the door.

Buffalogic
08-24-2011, 04:13 PM
I think we fight for a wild card spot and the masses pretend that they were always onboard from day one.

Bill Cody
08-24-2011, 04:16 PM
I think we fight for a wild card spot and the masses pretend that they were always onboard from day one.

I'm onboard. After all we're tied for 1st.