• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

John Rauch Criticizes Ralph Wilson, Bills Organization

This was written about a month ago, but didn't see it posted... With all of the articles coming out about the Bills FO over the past couple days, I figured some would like to read it: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011...son-john-rauch

This type of contract mismanagement was apparently rampant during Rauch's time with the Bills. The elder Rauch was penning a book before he passed away, and in it described how the cash flow system worked. He cites a specific example with O.J. Simpson's rookie contract as evidence.

"Money in the Bills' front office was scarce, even though Ralph Wilson managed to take home a profit each year," penned the elder Rauch before his death. "This left the business office short handed until the new season ticket money came in July. O.J. and his agent of course didn't know how short the Bills were for cash... Perhaps there wasn't enough money in the business office to sign O.J. until the new budget came in July. By the time he signed, the Bills had been in training camp for two weeks of two practices a day."
    Might explain why some get calls so aften regarding season ticket renewals...

-Bill
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: John Rauch Criticizes Ralph Wilson, Bills Organization

Wow.

Just wow.

I always wondered what Lou would have had to say if given the opportunity as well.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

the link is down now. wonder if it pissed some people off.

Comment

• BLeonard
        BoB Sabermetrician
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus
        the link is down now. wonder if it pissed some people off.
        That's odd, still works for me...

-Bill

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

oh, it works for me now too. the first sign said, "apologies, link not available"

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
            • Feb 2009

I bet the gestapo at One Bills Drive would like to supress that kind of info if they knew about it

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus
              oh, it works for me now too. the first sign said, "apologies, link not available"
              Heh, probably too many people trying to access it at once...

-Bill

Comment

• TigerJ
                • Jul 2002

I remember John Rauch. He was the coach who figured that OJ Simpson would make a great decoy so everyone else on offense could rack up the yards. I'm not saying he was wrong about contract issues, but man he was one lousy coach.
                I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                  I remember John Rauch. He was the coach who figured that OJ Simpson would make a great decoy so everyone else on offense could rack up the yards. I'm not saying he was wrong about contract issues, but man he was one lousy coach.
                  He may have been wrong about how to use Simpson, but his Raiders went 13-1 the year they lost to the Packers in SB II.

And who knows? the 1969 line wasn't much better than the 2010-11 line. Perhaps he didn't want to see OJ get crushed.

The part that bothers me, if you read the entire link, was the part about not being able to sign OJ until the final season ticket payments were cashed and in the bank.
                  Last edited by Historian; 08-25-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Didn't realize it until I read his bio, but apparently Rauch had troubles with management/supervisors just about everywhere he coached.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

The thing I noticed is Ralph has spent money a few times when their has been a change in coaching and front office. When Donohoe came in he seemed to open up his wallet but then when on the cheap. When Levy took over as GM he again wanted to make a push towards a championship and let Marv spend. After seeing no success under Marv it seems Ralph realized he will never see Buffalo win a super bowl so he is in the business to make money and not field a competitive product.
                      Last edited by don137; 08-25-2011, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                        • Sep 2003

He'll never see another Super Bowl again due to the curse of Polian!

Comment

Working...
                        X