• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Buffalo News: Buffalo's now a hockey town

Pegula has shown a greater commitment to winning before his first full season with the Sabres than Wilson has in 51 seasons owning the Bills, plain and simple. Pegula brings faith and a sense of relief while Wilson brings, well, what has he contributed in recent years exactly other than headaches?

Hold your emails. People act as if criticizing Wilson equates to sacrilege, like he's somehow immune because he brought the Bills to Buffalo. It doesn't make him a good owner. Any notion that he performed some selfless community service goes out the window when adding up the money he pocketed while giving little back in return.
    Thoughts?

-Bill
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo News: Buffalo's now a hockey town

What is the difference? I have and always have loved both teams.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

This article is going to take a lot of **** because people on this board generally don't like Gleason, but I think he's right.

Hockey is very popular in WNY and the only reason the Sabres are #2 is because of the Bills extreme popularity, not because of any lack of popularity on their own.

The fans are finally on to Ralph, and right at the same time, Pegula takes over the Sabres and immediately sends them in the exact opposite direction of the Bills. The timing is right and it isn't going to take much for the Sabres to take over.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BLeonard
        Bucky Gleason, wow I expected this to be another Jerry Sullivan article. Looks like the media are as fed up as the fan base.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
          • Sep 2003

Buffalo is a hockey town now...until the Bills string a few wins together. The Bills will always be king until they move. That's just a fact. It's like the Pats in Boston. They can win a Super Bowl every other year and the Sox still own the city.

PTR
          10 Commandments of the D
          1. Never stop Rocking.
          2. Legalize all drugs.
          3. Quit your day job.
          4. All Religion should be taxed.
          5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
          6. F**k her gently.
          7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
          8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
          9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
          10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

The only thing Buffalo fans demand from their teams is an honest effort.
            This line sums it up very succinctly for me.

I don't think it's ridiculous to believe that we should hove some semblence of a winning chance on Sundays...especially at 70 bucks a ticket.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
              Buffalo is a hockey town now...until the Bills string a few wins together. The Bills will always be king until they move. That's just a fact. It's like the Pats in Boston. They can win a Super Bowl every other year and the Sox still own the city.

PTR
              Translation: the Patriots are just an excuse so Sox fans don't have to sober up in September.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Historian
                This line sums it up very succinctly for me.

I don't think it's ridiculous to believe that we should hove some semblence of a winning chance on Sundays...especially at 70 bucks a ticket.
                That's what it comes down to.

No sane hockey fan is going to pick the Sabres to win the Cup before the season starts, but we know that we at least have an outside chance at it.

With the Bills, well, technically we have a chance because technically, every team has a chance, but any sane football fan realizes that, realistically, we have no chance to win the SB, and our chances of a winning season aren't much better.

It's so much easier to be excited about the Sabres right now than the Bills.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

the sabres have created an opportunity with their signings. That defense alone could sustain last year's offense. At least through the first round.

and this offense should be hungrier and just lighter in general without special neids and grier (though i loved grier in his prime). and there is some depth in kassian, adam, and foligno. It's hard to blame the FO if they don't do well. it'll be due to injuries and players sucking.

On the bills, you could point to anything and be right. "front office sucks" "ralph sucks" "the LB corp sucks" "the OL sucks" "the QB sucks" "the WR suck" "the secondary sucks" "gailey sucks". And really, where would you be wrong? Just too many broken pieces and zero answers. With the exception of signing ruvell of course.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                    Will not tolerate vandalism.
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                    Buffalo is a hockey town now...until the Bills string a few wins together.
                    And when, pray tell is that going to happen? In ten years-- maybe?

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Fans should wear Sabres jerseys to Bills games
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

If the Bills somehow went 4-0 to start the season that fifth game at home against Philly would be all Buffalo is talking about.
                        The Bills have stunk for so long it's been taking a toll but when they start winning again there is no comparison.
                        There has never been anything like the late 80's to mid 90's in Buffalo for sports.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

Definitely looking forward to Hockey season... HOWEVER hockey season is just too long, and they play too many games for me to get very interested early on... I usually don't start really following Hockey until the New year and the All-star break.. From there hockey becomes interesting enough to pay more attention to.

SO from Now till January I follow hockey stats read an occasional article, but I'm still mostly football until then

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

The bars here are packed on hockey night, especially after Pegula took over.

Not so much on Sundays, unless they have the ticket and show other games for gamblers and fantasy players.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • May 2009

the bills suck. when does sabres hockey start?

Comment

Working...
                              X