• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Sources: Bills Extension for Williams Close, Johnson Next

Sources have told WGR that an extension for Kyle Williams is almost complete, and that once it's done the Bills will turn their attention toward extending leading wide receiver Stevie Johnson.
    So, at the start of the week, all these articles come out, talking about how cheap the Bills have been... Now, they have signed a WR, a LB and are working on extensions for two guys already on the team...

Maybe it's me, but maybe all of those articles woke the Bills' FO up a bit...? I know the Williams deal had been discussed before, but, after the initial report, we didn't hear anything for a couple weeks, these articles come out and now, we're seeing moves made and deals being worked on??

Don't get me wrong, extensions for Williams and Johnson are good things, as is the new LB signing... But, the timing is a bit peculiar.

-Bill
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Sources: Bills Extension for Williams Close, Johnson Next

It's definitely interesting that all this comes out after the articles that ripped the Bills and said they are run by a bunch of penny pinchers.

Comment

• cocamide
      • Oct 2006

Is everyone thinking what I'm thinking? How will the Bills FO screw this one up?

Comment

• B-DON
        hi
        • Mar 2004

I still hate Ralph. You shouldn't get get credit for keeping your only above avg player. If I was Kyle I'd turn down any contract this joke of a franchise offers him he ever wants a chance to sniff the playoffs

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Having said that, I'm loving this news! I can't wait to see Kyle Williams locked up long term. He's a beast and will be even better next to Dareus! Also, locking up Stevie Johnson is a good move too. He deserves to get paid a lot more than a 7th round pick. Next up after those two...not Fitz. Pay Fred Jackson! He's underpaid and a damn good running back. He deserves it!

Comment

• bigbub2352
            • Feb 2005

I like both extensions..both guys are football players u want on your team...dont extend fitz until half way thru the season if not at the end before FA...gotta see what he does as a starter for a full season first...
            XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Michael82
              It's definitely interesting that all this comes out after the articles that ripped the Bills and said they are run by a bunch of penny pinchers.
              You've got some pull, Mikey... Get someone to write another article about the cheap-ass Bills... Hell, we might get an Offensive Lineman or two out of it.

-Bill

Comment

• B-DON
                hi
                • Mar 2004

I wouldn't resign Jackson. I love the guy but for rb's he getting long in the tooth.

Comment

• Buddo
                  • Mar 2007

I don't think it's anything other than coincidental timing.
                  WRs going down last weekend = Martin signing.
                  Williams has been known to be in discussions before this.
                  The Morrison signing might fall into the 'spend some money' argument, but tbh, from what he's said himself, he's been mulling a variety of offers over, and has just now made his decision. I think he also said that Merriman has been 'recruiting' him, for around a week, also.

As an aside, I don't think Williams will get silly money, but he will get a good chunk of a raise, with probably a larger guarantee. I don't think Williams, is after every penny he can get though.
                  It'll be interesting to see what Stevie Johnson gets though. Big production for one season, shouldn't equate to the sort of deal evans got, but he could well be in the $6 million per range, and that is probably fair tbh.

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

I agree Jackson is next if Fitzy is playing well in week 8 we can discuss it then.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

fitz wont get extended before week 6. they will want to see him play better. he was serviceable last season but if you look at all 15 of his picks half were on horrible decisions by him. also i am not totally sold on the team seeing him as there long term answer. he is not a 10 million a year qb and that is the going rate for first big contract qbs. that is what brees got at first in NO that is what romo and rodgers got in dallas and GB. no way fitz has proved enough. lock up williams and johnson before the start of the season and let fitz play through the first 3rd-half of the season that make a decision. to be honest if tebow does get traded do not be surprised if it is to buffalo. gailey was a florida QB and its no secret if he fell to us with our second round pick we were taking him. i am not sold on his skills in a more traditional offense, but in gaileys gimmick spread offense he could excel. unless fitz takes like a 3yr 15million contract or 2 year 12million deal he is not getting signed. the bills will want him at a team friendly rate so when they do get someone they really like he is not overpaid and can step back into a backup role or be easily movable for a draft pick or picks. again this is just my opinion.

Comment

• madness
                        • Apr 2003

Those articles had no influence on the FO. That's almost as ridiculous as people believing a 92 year old man is up in the rafters pulling everyone's strings or we dumped players like Walker, Edwards, Evans to save money.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by B-DON
                          I wouldn't resign Jackson. I love the guy but for rb's he getting long in the tooth.
                          I was just going to reply to Michaels post, I would resign Jackson but only for 2-3 years.

Comment

• B-DON
                            hi
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by better days
                            I was just going to reply to Michaels post, I would resign Jackson but only for 2-3 years.
                            I could handle a 2 yr deal but anymore would be pushing it unless he doesn't mind being a back up. Rb's go down hill fast

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

I think the reason the Bills havent went out and spend alot of $$$ was becasue of the extensions that will have to get done....

To be honest having $20+ mill of cap space says nothing to me..
                              I understand some of you think Ralph is cheap but what do u want them to do....
                              Over pay for a guy like POZ??????
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X