• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • User Manuel
    The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
    • Nov 2003

Is the reality....

That Buddy Nix, who is no idiot, understands that this group cannot win as currently built and really needs to be bad...real bad for at least 1 more year.

I know we all call Ralph cheap, but...and I believe history is proven on this...when The Bills have been "contenders" he has indeed shelled out considerable dollars to bring in big name players and keep our stars.

He is not one who blindly spends to just try and get to mediocre....I also fear that the Dockery and Walker experiences may have reinforced that.

If I had to guess Nix is hoping for a top 5 pick, perhaps even secretly hoping for #1 (Luck) and then plans on shelling out for the O-Line after that. Frankly, if that is the plan, I could see Ralph buying in and ponying up the cash.

It does make sense, but it is a tough pill to swallow for us fans....and it relies on us to have faith in Ralph and his hire at GM....that is really, really tough to do.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Is the reality....

While your theory may be true, I think it's more likely that Ralph, the 92 year old curmudgeon, is a far different person even than the "spry" 70 year old who spent to build our Super Bowl teams.

I just think he has ceded too much conrol to his bean counters - Littman and Overdorf - and too little to Nix, Whaley and Gailey.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• El Guapo
      • May 2007

I have little faith in this organization, especially those sitting in seats one, two and three. However, I do believe Gailey and Nix know this is a three to four year plan, and as such, you want to get high draft picks for your core players.

I don't think it is so much as trying to lose, but more of a let the guys we have play, and our record is whatever our record ends up being. In other words, play the the players we picked in the past two drafts, hope you get some diamonds out of the rough. At least you will better understand your need going into the offseason.

I know Bills fans are sick and tired (me included) of hearing the dreaded term "rebuilding," but this looks like a classic example of taking it down to bring it back up.

Do I like it? No. Do I understand it? Yes.
      A Bills fan in Dixie. How did that happen?

Comment

• bf1
        • Oct 2010

I don't think they want to lose. They want to build the entire team through the draft. Which it seems they'd have to hit 7 out of 7 for a few years straight to work--before it comes time to extend anyone who turns out to be good and "overpriced."

Comment

• El Guapo
          • May 2007

Originally posted by bf1
          I don't think they want to lose. They want to build the entire team through the draft. Which it seems they'd have to hit 7 out of 7 for a few years straight to work--before it comes time to extend anyone who turns out to be good and "overpriced."
          I think if our young guys show promise, you will see extensions worked out quickly. That is how you build through the draft. Gailey and Nix will want their guys who are succesful to sign long term deals.
          A Bills fan in Dixie. How did that happen?

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Then come out and say that- inform the fans of the plan.

Most are smart enough- but they want to sell hope & tickets

Comment

• bf1
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by El Guapo
              I think if our young guys show promise, you will see extensions worked out quickly. That is how you build through the draft. Gailey and Nix will want their guys who are succesful to sign long term deals.
              Except there looks to be a few misses already.

Comment

Working...
              X