• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Bills urging fans: 'Make Mom Proud'

Looks like Russ and crew are at it again...

The "Make Mom Proud" campaign -- replacing the old "Be Loud. Be Proud. Be Considerate" -- is one of many new initiatives by the Bills this season to fine-tune its fans' game-day behavior.
    -Bill
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Re: Bills urging fans: 'Make Mom Proud'

Love some of the comments after the article...

"They spend all this time on parking policy and fan behavior but we still don't have a Left Tackle."

"If you want a great fan experience, give the fans a winner on the field. 12 YEARS OF A LOSING TEAM DOES NOT MAKE FOR A GREAT FAN EXPERIENCE. Kids experience is ruined because they saw there favorite team lose again."

"You(the Bills) spend all this time changing parking procedures anmd behavior where all this time could be spent making the team better."

-Bill

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BLeonard
      Love some of the comments after the article...

"They spend all this time on parking policy and fan behavior but we still don't have a Left Tackle."

"If you want a great fan experience, give the fans a winner on the field. 12 YEARS OF A LOSING TEAM DOES NOT MAKE FOR A GREAT FAN EXPERIENCE. Kids experience is ruined because they saw there favorite team lose again."

"You(the Bills) spend all this time changing parking procedures anmd behavior where all this time could be spent making the team better."

-Bill
      The middle one is a little off. Kids experience is ruined when grown ups act as adolescent as they do because those same grown ups can't handle their liquor. 12 years of losing sometimes result in adults with 12 year old behavior.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
        • Nov 2009

This argument is asinine.

Any attempt to justify obscene behavior in the stands by mentioning Ralph Wilson, Buddy Nix, or the team is flat out ridiculous.

"The Bills aren't good, so gross drunkenness is acceptable. Ralph Wilson needs to realize that if he wants the fans to be safe, he had better start winning, or we are just not able to guarantee that kids won't get hurt. YOU OWE US RALPH WILSON!! It is your behavior that completely negates social responsibility."

When you go to the mall, and the store is out of your size of shoes, you are completely justified to get into a fight. If you go to the grocery store, and the price of milk goes up, just start smashing **** and screaming profanities...they owe you.

What the hell is the matter with people? Seriously. The commenters on this article are arguing a point that isn't too far from convincing me that they are unsafe to our society.

IT IS A ****ING FOOTBALL GAME. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ACT WITH, NOT EVEN RESTRAINT, BUT JUST A ****ING SHRED OF DECENCY, STAY THE **** HOME!

Boy, you are right though... old Russ, boy, he really is a spin meister isn't he? A propagandist of the highest order. Trying to hide the real problem, by asking people to act like actual human beings!!! We should be ashamed that they feel that this topic needs to be handled so passively. I am not for authoritarian gestures, but I have seen some truly incredulous behavior, and believe that is you can't act with a certain level of decency; you should be forced to go and not return. I am a big boy, and while I am not necessarily directly offended by harsh language, but this is not the Roman ****ing Coliseum. I know that many deflect the fact that they are ****ing cowards onto the players, and live vicariously through the violence of the game, but to act like all bets are off, concerning what consists of one's social responsibility, is truly a frightening viewpoint.

Our country is in real trouble economically, and 80% (I will be conservative in my estimate) of our society are not much more than serfs, but you can't get the masses to care, let alone unify in opposition to things that really matter, and really affect our lives. You have no problem getting a ton of jackasses to defend people getting intoxicated and completely hindering others' ability to enjoy a sporting event, while arguing it is the team on the field's fault.

Impressive.
        Last edited by Beebe's Kid; 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Pondslider
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
          This argument is asinine.

Any attempt to justify obscene behavior in the stands by mentioning Ralph Wilson, Buddy Nix, or the team is flat out ridiculous.

"The Bills aren't good, so gross drunkenness is acceptable. Ralph Wilson needs to realize that if he wants the fans to be safe, he had better start winning, or we are just not able to guarantee that kids won't get hurt. YOU OWE US RALPH WILSON!! It is your behavior that completely negates social responsibility."

When you go to the mall, and the store is out of your size of shoes, you are completely justified to get into a fight. If you go to the grocery store, and the price of milk goes up, just start smashing **** and screaming profanities...they owe you.

What the hell is the matter with people? Seriously. The commenters on this article are arguing a point that isn't too far from convincing me that they are unsafe to our society.

IT IS A ****ING FOOTBALL GAME. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ACT WITH, NOT EVEN RESTRAINT, BUT JUST A ****ING SHRED OF DECENCY, STAY THE **** HOME!

Boy, you are right though... old Russ, boy, he really is a spin meister isn't he? A propagandist of the highest order. Trying to hide the real problem, by asking people to act like actual human beings!!! We should be ashamed that they feel that this topic needs to be handled so passively. I am not for authoritarian gestures, but I have seen some truly incredulous behavior, and believe that is you can't act with a certain level of decency; you should be forced to go and not return. I am a big boy, and while I am not necessarily directly offended by harsh language, but this is not the Roman ****ing Coliseum. I know that many deflect the fact that they are ****ing cowards onto the players, and live vicariously through the violence of the game, but to act like all bets are off, concerning what consists of one's social responsibility, is truly a frightening viewpoint.

Our country is in real trouble economically, and 80% (I will be conservative in my estimate) of our society are not much more than serfs, but you can't get the masses to care, let alone unify in opposition to things that really matter, and really affect our lives. You have no problem getting a ton of jackasses to defend people getting intoxicated and completely hindering others' ability to enjoy a sporting event, while arguing it is the team on the field's fault.

Impressive.
          Good post. People really should grow up.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

There may be a few people that get drunk & are obnoxious at Bills games but in California we are talking about VIOLENCE, much of it gang initiated.

That is what the NFL really needs to crack down on.

Comment

• BLeonard
              BoB Sabermetrician
              • Jan 2003

I'm not saying it's OK to be a jerk at the stadium, or any other place, for that matter. Of course people should be respective and courteous of others. I'm simply posting the article and others' comments, not that I neccessarily agree with all of it.

The only comment I really made was "Looks like Russ and crew are at it again." That was basically because thay have made so many changes to gameday activities this season, from opening the lots later, to not allowing "space-saving," etc... A lot of things most fans, to my knowledge, were not happy with.

There really is a very simple solution to a good chunk of the issues... Stop selling and allowing alcohol altogether. If they are REALLY going for a "family environment," it makes sense. But, they won't do that, because they profit off of it bigtime. It reminds me of the new cigarette ad thing that's going around... They're trying to do everything they can to stop people from smoking, with the exception of stopping the sale of the cigarettes. If it's so bad, the lost profits by disallowing sales shouldn't matter.

But, we all know that the almighty dollar trumps their "safety concerns."

-Bill
              Last edited by BLeonard; 08-27-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Pondslider
                • Sep 2003

I'm not saying it's OK to be a jerk at the stadium, or any other place, for that matter. Of course people should be respective and courteous of others. I'm simply posting the article and others' comments, not that I neccessarily agree with all of it.

The only comment I really made was "Looks like Russ and crew are at it again." That was basically because thay have made so many changes to gameday activities this season, from opening the lots later, to not allowing "space-saving," etc... A lot of things most fans, to my knowledge, were not happy with.

There really is a very simple solution to a good chunk of the issues... Stop selling and allowing alcohol altogether. If they are REALLY going for a "family environment," it makes sense. But, they won't do that, because they profit off of it bigtime. It reminds me of the new cigarette ad thing that's going around... They're trying to do everything they can to stop people from smoking, with the exception of stopping the sale of the cigarettes. If it's so bad, the lost profits by disallowing sales shouldn't matter.

-Bill
                You can buy beer at Sabres games and they don't have these issues.

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

what if your mom is a meth addict hooker
                  One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Meathead
                    Maybe that is why they won't go with that slogan in Cal.

Comment

• Novacane
                      • Jul 2002

I don't think anyone is saying it's ok to act stupid at games. That does not change that this new campaign is imo. A big waste of time and money. Do the Bills really think even one single drunk is going to stop and think "oops, my mom would not approve of this" before doing something stupid. A stupid slogan is not going to change anything.

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

-Bill

That's what all the changes are about. They want less drinking in the parking lots so there will be more buying of thier high priced beer inside the stadium.

Comment

• BLeonard
                          BoB Sabermetrician
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Pondslider
                          You can buy beer at Sabres games and they don't have these issues.
                          Fair point. Unfortunately, I don't live in Buffalo, or anywhere near it, so I have to ask: Do the Sabres have multi-hour tailgates prior to the games, as the Bills do? because alcohol is consumed there as well.

I have to assume a fair amount of people go to both Bills and Sabre games, so if the Sabres have tailgates similar to the Bills, the question should be asked... Why is this a problem for the Bills, but not the Sabres?

Could it be that HSBC holds roughly 1/4 of the people that RWS does?

Maybe it's because the sabres have 40-some home games, where the Bills play 7, so every game isn't "as important" in the NHL as it is in the NFL?

The Bills are outdoors, while the Sabres are indoors, so behavior is different (for whatever reason)?

Or, could it be the quality of the product on the field/ice?

I'm not saying I know, I'm just trying to come up with a reason as to why there seems to be such a drastic difference in behavior between the fanbases, especially when part of both fanbases are the same...

-Bill

Comment

• Scumbag College
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                            The two of you can do shots of Jameson's whiskey in the parking lot tailgating and then go brawl in the Rockpile during the game.
                            Last edited by Scumbag College; 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM.
                            Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

Working...
                            X