PDA

View Full Version : Oniel Cousins

The Spaz
08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Sign Oniel Cousins now he was just released by the Ravens. He has some talent and can definitely compete for a starting spot for the Bills with this band of misfits.

BLeonard
08-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Beat me to it: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/27/ravens-dump-oniel-cousins-eight-others/

The Ravens, who played the Redskins Thursday night, have made their cuts. The biggest name was tackle Oniel Cousins, a third-round draft choice in 2008, who appeared in every game last season — and who started the first two preseason games in 2011.

Tight end Jonathan Stupar got the boot, too. He spent his first three seasons with the Bills, appearing in 16 games last year with three starts.

-Bill

RoscoeMagic
08-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Would be foolish not to bring SOMEONE in to compete for the swing tackle spot.

better days
08-27-2011, 12:16 PM
The comments after the article make him sound like a turnstile, still he is probably better than what the Bills have now.

BLeonard
08-27-2011, 12:23 PM
The comments after the article make him sound like a turnstile, still he is probably better than what the Bills have now.

Looks like he became expendable due to the signings of McKinnie and LeVoir...

This is what the Bills do best... Wait for other teams to sign free agents, then pounce on the scraps that other teams cut, due to those free agent signings.

If they had eliminated the middle man and went after McKinnie and/or LeVoir, this wouldn't be an issue.

-Bill

Extremebillsfan247
08-27-2011, 12:24 PM
When a 3rd round pick is released after just 3 years in the league that's not a good thing. What's wrong with him?

cookie G
08-27-2011, 12:30 PM
When a 3rd round pick is released after just 3 years in the league that's not a good thing. What's wrong with him?

He'd be a perfect match to go along with Urbik, wouldn't he?

Not that it would necessarily hurt to bring him in, but I can hear the talk next April...

"well this guy had a 3rd round grade on him and is a former 3rd round draft pick, so we don't need to get another tackle, since this is like an extra third rounder. We have to see what he can do."

This is what we do.

DraftBoy
08-27-2011, 12:45 PM
No thanks.

We need to stop with the mentality of just bringing somebody in for the sake of doing it. We all want the OL to improve but Cousins offers us nothing more than what we already have.

Multiple people in Baltimore saw this coming for a while now.

ddaryl
08-27-2011, 12:56 PM
He is no better then our depth on this team now..

everybody wants a move for the sake of a move.. there hasn't been much at all on the market that would have made this team better on the OL... no matter how badly people want to believe there was.

Mad Max
08-27-2011, 02:39 PM

This is what the Bills do best... Wait for other teams to sign free agents, then pounce on the scraps that other teams cut, due to those free agent signings...

"Hey look at that tasty treat! Wonder why no one else is jumping on it? Oh well their loss! - Ralph Wilson Senile and my merry band of vultures

http://www.dreamstime.com/black-vultures-eating-thumb2806367.jpg

YardRat
08-27-2011, 02:45 PM

This is what the Bills do best... Wait for other teams to sign free agents, then pounce on the scraps that other teams cut, due to those free agent signings.

If they had eliminated the middle man and went after McKinnie and/or LeVoir, this wouldn't be an issue.

-Bill

Although I agree with the sentiment to a certain point, McKinnie and LeVoir were other teams' scraps also.

BLeonard
08-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Although I agree with the sentiment to a certain point, McKinnie and LeVoir were other teams' scraps also.

Not really...

A I understand it, McKinnie was cut basically due to his weight. If he didn't have the weight issue , he probably wouldn't have been cut. Obviously, Baltimore thinks he's shed enough weight to be more valuable than Cousins, as it was Cousins that they cut.

As for LeVoir, as I understand it, he just got caught in a numbers game in New England. You can only carry so many Offensive Linemen.

Obviously, Baltimore thought enough of both of them that they were not cut and instead, they cut who they felt was the worst of the three.

I rthink we can agree that if McKinnie and LeVoir are upgrades on Baltimore's line, they'd be upgrades here as well.

But, we didn't go after either of them, at least to the best of my knowledge.

-Bill

YardRat
08-27-2011, 03:02 PM
No disagreement, they would both be upgrades here. But, the mere fact that they were released, regardless of reason, and didn't leave via FA or whatever, makes them someone else's scraps. That doesn't inherently make them 'bad', though, either.

If a team has Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, John Elway and Peyton Manning at QB and Marino gets cut, he's still their scraps.

ddaryl
08-27-2011, 03:20 PM
we shall see how McKinnie does in Baltimore.. but if your not in shape for camp when you making millions then there is an obvious problem..

Buddo
08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/08/ravens_can_only_blame_themselves.html

Seems like he's been cut because he's crap.

methos4ever
08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
we shall see how McKinnie does in Baltimore.. but if your not in shape for camp when you making millions then there is an obvious problem..
ESPN has an article that says he's down to 370 and hopes to be around 355 by the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6901675/bryant-mckinnie-baltimore-ravens-play-lt-michael-oher-moved-rt

A 355 LT? That's crazy. Heck I thought Peters was playing a dangerous game playing at 340....

psubills62
08-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Cousins is not very good. Why is it that people simply say "he must be better than what we have now" without supporting that statement at all? Why would he be better? Isn't that exactly what we've got now - guys who were huge disappointments and proceeded to be cut?

If McKinnie was that good, why wouldn't Minnesota simply wait for him to lose wait, maybe sit him for a few games as punishment and then go for it? McKinnie was not that good last year, from what I remember. If OBD didn't want McKinnie, they're not going to want the guy he ended up kicking off the roster.

LeVoir is one guy I don't have an explanation for...I think it would have been worth signing him.