View Full Version : The Kickoff Issue... And My Solution

BLeonard
08-27-2011, 02:49 PM
DISCLAIMER: I know the reason the NFL moved the kickoffs from the 30 to the 35 was to reduce the number of kickoff returns. Some have even suggested they would like to eliminate kickoffs altogether (which would also eliminate onside kicks, which would suck).

I, however, have a different, creative suggestion.

1: On a touchback, the receiving team starts on the 30 yard line. This would give teams (and more accurately, kickers) incentive to keep the ball in the field of play. That would cut down on the kickoffs through the back of the endzone, I think.

2: I like to call this the "Tecmo Super Bowl" rule. People who have played the game probably already know where I'm going with this...

In Tecmo Super Bowl, a game for the NES, there were no kneel downs in the endzone for a kickoff that reached the endzone. If you received a kickoff that reached the endzone, you had to bring it out. If you were tackled in the endzone, the kicking team was given a safety.

So, in short:

1: On touchbacks, the receiving team gets the ball on the 30.
2: Kickoffs reaching the endzone must be returned, to avoid a safety and loss of the ball.

I think it would make the kicking and return game much more important (and exciting) then this move to the 35 has made it. again, I know the NFL wants to cut down on kickoff returns, but I think this is a better balance, as I think you will see less returns than before, but more than we're currently getting.

-Bill

YardRat
08-27-2011, 03:08 PM
2: Kickoffs reaching the endzone must be returned, to avoid a safety and loss of the ball.

I was thinking the same exact thing last night, and it was triggered by the Green Bay returner (at the end of the first half I think?) taking the ball out from about 9 yards deep.

I like #1 also. Unfortunately, #2 doesn't address the primary motivation for reducing kick returns (injuries).

ddaryl
08-27-2011, 03:17 PM
just get rid of this stupid rule change.. kickoffs are a part of the game, and running them back makes the game much more exciting

mikemac2001
08-27-2011, 03:21 PM
my thoughts

any kicks that are kicked out of the endzone results in the ball at 30

this would make it more likely for higher kicks that try to pin them, instead of just bombing them out of the endzone...also if the returner wants to stay in the endzone they get it at the 20