PDA

View Full Version : Carrington Returning To Bench Behind Kelsay Is Dead Wrong

Night Train
08-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Our former 2010 3rd rounder is a huge 304 lbs. and brought pressure all night, in addition to showing strength to shed blocks and tackle the RB. Plus he still has an upside.

Kelsay keeping him on the bench or taking away snaps from him ? That would be downright terrible. :down:

ServoBillieves
08-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I still don't get why a man who weighs over 300 lbs. can start at linebacker in the NFL.

At the same time, I ask why Chris Kelsay can start at linebacker in the NFL.

But Carrington at OLB just puzzles me... He's fit for the DE position, he's physical and athletically ready for that role.. but hey, I'm only a fan, the coaches must see something.

BillsWin
08-28-2011, 06:58 PM
How he is transitioning so well to a position he does not prototypically fit, I do not know. But it excites me that he brings the heat at that size.

YardRat
08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm not a real fan of having a man that big on the outside standing up, but if their 43-34 hybrid calls for it than so be it, and I'd rather see Carrington out there than Kelsay.

tomz
08-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Wasn't there a comment made by the coaching staff along the lines that they were surprised by his athleticism at that weight? I think when it first came out that he was going to be playing some OLB.

bflojohn
08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Getting the best 11 on the field as starters. That's how it's supposed to work!!!

justabillsfan
08-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Carrington spent 90 percent of the time with his hand in the ground, im perfectally fine with carrington in there especially the first two downs

DraftBoy
08-28-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm not a real fan of having a man that big on the outside standing up, but if their 43-34 hybrid calls for it than so be it, and I'd rather see Carrington out there than Kelsay.

Agreed, I still think it presents huge liability issues in terms of knowing where blitzes are coming from or targeting him in coverage but so far the results have been favorable against basic packages.

BertSquirtgum
08-28-2011, 10:24 PM
kelsay sucks. there's no reason for him to be on an nfl roster let alone start.

Meathead
08-28-2011, 11:26 PM
kelsay sucks. there's no reason for him to be on an nfl roster let alone start.
its hard to believe fans can be this dumb

Beebe's Kid
08-28-2011, 11:49 PM
its hard to believe fans can be this dumb

While it is bad, I have to say that doesn't even rank in the bottom have of debauchery for the day...

Did I miss something? Did Carrington get cut? What is the "dead wrong?"

Relax. These games don't count, but the coaches are evaluating players and will make adjustments. I think we'll probably see quite a bit of Carrington this year. I felt that after the Pittsburgh game last year.

The comments that get posted for Kelsay are absurd. He really isn't that bad. It is like people don't watch the game, just grab on the their talking points and hit the message board. Kelsay is not an All-Pro, but he is a respected vet. I guarantee if he were cut, he would have a job in less than a week.

Kelsay has never been, nor is he now, the problem.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-29-2011, 02:32 AM
kelsay is ok or avergage i guess. but carrington looks like a stud. if anything kelsay should rotate in or get cut and let moats move back outside and give someone younger a roster spot. if i was the coach my olb would be

merriman
carrington

moats
batten
eddins

YardRat
08-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Kelsay and Carrington, regardless of what anybody thinks about their talent level, present a defensive liability to the opposing offense in a 34 set. On the line with their hand on the ground? Fine. Standing up a couple yards away from the trenches, or even on the line? No thanks. They better get their keys right and be able to adjust to what's coming, and I think it was obvious last season that if the key reads 'on your feet' than Kelsay could be easily exploited.

OpIv37
08-29-2011, 07:48 AM
While it is bad, I have to say that doesn't even rank in the bottom have of debauchery for the day...

Did I miss something? Did Carrington get cut? What is the "dead wrong?"

Relax. These games don't count, but the coaches are evaluating players and will make adjustments. I think we'll probably see quite a bit of Carrington this year. I felt that after the Pittsburgh game last year.

The comments that get posted for Kelsay are absurd. He really isn't that bad. It is like people don't watch the game, just grab on the their talking points and hit the message board. Kelsay is not an All-Pro, but he is a respected vet. I guarantee if he were cut, he would have a job in less than a week.

Kelsay has never been, nor is he now, the problem.

Kelsay is ABSOLUTELY part of the problem.

He's just one more below average player that this organization is obsessed with clinging to. He's slow and is a liability in pass coverage, he's not a great pass rusher, and he's only ok against the run. He lacks the speed to contain the sideline when the run breaks to the outside.

He's a respected vet for no good reason other than he's been there a long time. He hasn't accomplished anything- the best he's ever done is average by NFL standards. He's part of the old culture of losing and he doesn't fit the new defense.

His contract extension was inexplicable.

mikemac2001
08-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Kelsay is ABSOLUTELY part of the problem.

He's just one more below average player that this organization is obsessed with clinging to. He's slow and is a liability in pass coverage, he's not a great pass coverage, and he's only ok against the run. He lacks the speed to contain the sideline when the run breaks to the outside.

He's a respected vet for no good reason other than he's been there a long time. He hasn't accomplished anything- the best he's ever done is average by NFL standards. He's part of the old culture of losing and he doesn't fit the new defense.

His contract extension was inexplicable.

The only thing is contract extension showed is they will pay there own players and they continue to show that with williams

my issue he doesn't deserve it did they pay him to send a message work hard show up do what the coaches ask and youll be fine IDK but all i know kelsey is average DE and poor OLB

NOT THE DUDE...
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM
carrington not starting is a travesty... imo dude is a poor mans reggie white, same body too. and our elephant spot has his hand down 95% of the time. cut kelsay, allow heard to backup dareus and open a spot for eddins maybe... jmo

OpIv37
08-29-2011, 08:46 AM
The only thing is contract extension showed is they will pay there own players and they continue to show that with williams

my issue he doesn't deserve it did they pay him to send a message work hard show up do what the coaches ask and youll be fine IDK but all i know kelsey is average DE and poor OLB

Paying your own guys when they deserve it- like Williams- is fine. In fact, it's necessary to motivate current players and help attract players in the future.

Paying your own guys because they're your own guys is stupid. It's one of the things that has gotten this team into trouble in the past and it's something we need to avoid moving forward. Rewarding this kind of mediocrity sends the wrong message.

justasportsfan
08-29-2011, 09:59 AM
If there's one thing we've learned about Gailey it's that he isn't scared to bench or cut someone regardless of where they were drafted. If Carrington is better, I have no doubt he will start. In the meantime, all this talk about cutting Kelsay do not make sense at this point. He started to pick things up later into last years season. Lets see what he can do this year.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I guess they might keep kelsay because he is versatile and provides a little outside presence as far as a decent speed rush. also he is a leader... but he shouldnt start over alex.

you could see michael jasper make the team as backup nt if kelsay gets cut. thats something i would think is appealing. jasper learning for a year and getting on a nfl weight lifting/nutrition program could help him blossom. i get the feeling they will put jasper on the practice squad but some 34 team will take him. jmo

NOT THE DUDE...
08-29-2011, 10:13 AM
the front 7 depth chart would be

merriman/batten/moats
edwards/johnson
williams/troup/jasper
dareus/heard
carrington/coleman

davis/shep/white
barnett/morrison

trapezeus
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
kelsay gets flack because good teams would look at kelsay and say, "that position can get better." The bills look at kelsay and say, "well he's not terrible. he'll do for now."

as a result people get sick of a team that is made up of people who are "good for now" but no upgrades ever come through. even when they try, they put them in different positions or try to outthink the process.

acehole
08-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I agree to a point.
It is only on paper.
They will rotate and if he lights it up they will give him plenty of time.

Our former 2010 3rd rounder is a huge 304 lbs. and brought pressure all night, in addition to showing strength to shed blocks and tackle the RB. Plus he still has an upside.

Kelsay keeping him on the bench or taking away snaps from him ? That would be downright terrible. :down:

ParanoidAndroid
08-29-2011, 11:24 AM
carrington not starting is a travesty... imo dude is a poor mans reggie white, same body too. and our elephant spot has his hand down 95% of the time. cut kelsay, allow heard to backup dareus and open a spot for eddins maybe... jmo

You do this for attention, don't you?

I mean..... Reggie White? Comparing Carrington to arguably the best DE to ever play the game.... you might as well have said Deacon Jones or Bruce Smith.

Carrington isn't even a poor man's Aaron Schobel yet.

NOT THE DUDE...
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
You do this for attention, don't you?

I mean..... Reggie White? Comparing Carrington to arguably the best DE to ever play the game.... you might as well have said Deacon Jones or Bruce Smith.

Carrington isn't even a poor man's Aaron Schobel yet.

CAN YOU READ, i said poor mans, as in now where near that level but has some plays along with body type and style that reminds me of white.

**** face!

JCBills
08-30-2011, 04:36 PM
I still don't get why a man who weighs over 300 lbs. can start at linebacker in the NFL.

At the same time, I ask why Chris Kelsay can start at linebacker in the NFL.

But Carrington at OLB just puzzles me... He's fit for the DE position, he's physical and athletically ready for that role.. but hey, I'm only a fan, the coaches must see something.

In a hybrid set, he's basically a LDE standing up.

mayotm
08-30-2011, 07:30 PM
CAN YOU READ, i said poor mans, as in now where near that level but has some plays along with body type and style that reminds me of white.

**** face!There body types are not similar. White was much more rotund than Carrington.