PDA

View Full Version : USC OT Matt Kalil to Enter 2012 Draft?

DraftBoy
08-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Pauline posted his USC preseason scouting thoughts and added this to Kalil's profile;

Dominant left tackle prospect with terrific size as well as upside. Blocks with solid fundamentals, makes great use of body positioning as well as blocking angles. Shows THE ability to take out linebackers on the second level. Lacks classic footwork and rumbles around the field Yet understands the position and gets the job done. Early pick in the near future as we hear he will enter the 2012 draft.

Despite K-one's protests about Pauline, he's rarely wrong about these kinds of things and this would make early entrant #2 into the 2012 draft.

k-oneputt
08-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Should be a top-10 pick, probably top-5.

What round do the wizzards have him goin in ????

DraftBoy
08-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Should be a top-10 pick, probably top-5.

What round do the wizzards have him goin in ????

It was in the link I posted. He'll be top 15 but needs to clean up some tech issues, Riley Reiff likely staying in school will help him. I put him behind both Reiff and Martin in my 2013 OT rankings (http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/2011/08/bbds-top-20-ots-for-2012/).

k-oneputt
08-29-2011, 07:12 AM
I put him #1 in those ratings. Will play left tackle. Martin may end up on the right side.

DraftBoy
08-29-2011, 07:26 AM
I put him #1 in those ratings. Will play left tackle. Martin may end up on the right side.

I can't see him ahead of Reiff, he's bigger, stronger and more technically gifted than Kalil. Only think Kalil holds the edge on is athleticism.

Martin may slide to the right but I dont see a reason to think he should. He has the necessary length, size, and athleticism to play LT in the NFL.

As a rule of thumb with offensive and defensive lineman, I always rate technical ability higher than pure athleticism. Athleticism can be made up for, poor technique just gets exposed.

k-oneputt
08-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Actually you have it backwards. Technical ability can be learned, Athleticism can't be taught.

Kalil is the best pass protector, and will be the best left tackle.
Kalil still needs to fill out, but has the frame to add weight and will.

Of course these are opinions we will see in a couple of years.

DraftBoy
08-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Actually you have it backwards. Technical ability can be learned, Athleticism can't be taught.

Kalil is the best pass protector, and will be the best left tackle.
Kalil still needs to fill out, but has the frame to add weight and will.

Of course these are opinions we will see in a couple of years.

I never said one can be learned and one can't. I said I rate one higher than the other. Athleticism is useless without proper technique. Technique can be used and applied effectively without out of the world athleticism.

Kalil is not the best pass protector, Reiff is. Agreed on needing to add weight to his frame but like you Im not concerned about that.

k-oneputt
08-29-2011, 10:45 AM
That's funny because the NFL is the exact opposite. They believe they can teach the technical, and if they guy is athletic he has the much higher upside.

DraftBoy
08-29-2011, 10:45 AM
That's funny because the NFL is the exact opposite. They believe they can teach the technical, and if they guy is athletic he has the much higher upside.

Not always true...see Bruce Campbell v. Bryan Bulaga.

k-oneputt
08-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Jason Peters, and our current starting lt, Bell.

We have to disagree.

But I beleive Kalil goes before Reiff. What do you think ?

And Buluga was moved to guard I believe.

DraftBoy
08-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Jason Peters, and our current starting lt, Bell.

We have to disagree.

But I beleive Kalil goes before Reiff. What do you think ?

And Buluga was moved to guard I believe.

I dont know that Id even use our current LT as an example of anything except what you dont want your starting LT to be.

Fine agree to disagree.

If they were in the same draft I believe Reiff goes first. However reports are Kalil is leaving early and Reiff has no intention to, so its not going to be a disagreement we can settle.

I havent heard anything out of GB that indicates they want to move Bulaga inside but who knows.

k-oneputt
12-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Here you go DB.

From August.

Any of questions just post 'em.

DraftBoy
12-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Here you go DB.

From August.

Any of questions just post 'em.

It was August...if you don't have anything more recent that a preseason projection than you don't have anything at all.

Rankings and opinions change, they are supposed to. If you think you're calling me out for something you're not.

k-oneputt
12-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I just did.
You said Reiff before Kalil.

Who knows you may still be right but I doubt it.

you gotta stop listening to your draft gurus like Pauline and Big Russ and form your own opinions or at least come up with better sources then those two .

Any other questions let me know.

DraftBoy
12-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I just did.
You said Reiff before Kalil.

Who knows you may still be right but I doubt it.

you gotta stop listening to your draft gurus like Pauline and Big Russ and form your own opinions or at least come up with better sources then those two .

Any other questions let me know.

Questions about what exactly?

Your infatuation with Pauline and Lande is bordering on something that is a little scary.

k-oneputt
12-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Questions about college talent.

I have no infatuation with either, neither knows what they are talking about.

DraftBoy
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Questions about college talent.

I have no infatuation with either, neither knows what they are talking about.

Ill be sure to keep that in mind.

k-oneputt
12-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Ill be sure to keep that in mind.

You should.
It will keep you a step ahead of the game.:biggrin:

DraftBoy
12-27-2011, 03:42 PM
You should.
It will keep you a step ahead of the game.:biggrin:

:rofl:

Fair enough though my method seems to be working for the time being.