I don't care how well CJ Spiller does...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

I don't care how well CJ Spiller does...

...please pay Fred Jackson.

He is the consumate football player.

Never takes a down off.

Always turns negatives into positives.

Great hands.

I'd like to lock him up long-term.

Thoughts?
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: I don't care how well CJ Spiller does...

what's his current contract ????

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Historian
      ...please pay Fred Jackson.

He is the consumate football player.

Never takes a down off.

Always turns negatives into positives.

Great hands.

I'd like to lock him up long-term.

Thoughts?
      Amen. He's the heart and soul of the Offense.

Take that 30 year old argument and pitch it. Has far less wear than the normal back his age.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mayotm
        • Jul 2003

Fred will get 20 - 25 touches a game. CJ is going to get 10 - 15. I think it will be great balance.

Comment

• mayotm
          • Jul 2003

I do like what l've seen from CJ during the pre-season. Not his numbers, but he looks much more decisive hitting holes. He will be a great change up to Fred's style.

Comment

• mysticsoto
            Too sober for this...
            • Apr 2004

Everything this FO has done is showing that they will simply let FJ finish out his contract and then go with CJ. Quite frankly, he should have had a contract offer by now if that were not the case.

Comment

• Bangarang
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Everything this FO has done is showing that they will simply let FJ finish out his contract and then go with CJ. Quite frankly, he should have had a contract offer by now if that were not the case.
              Perhaps the front office wants to see what kind of strides their 9th overall pick can have this season before they lock up FJax long term and kill any kind of confidence CJ had going into the season.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                Too sober for this...
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Bangarang
                Perhaps the front office wants to see what kind of strides their 9th overall pick can have this season before they lock up FJax long term and kill any kind of confidence CJ had going into the season.
                When you have talent, you shouldn't lack for confidence. What's wrong with having 2 great RBs on the team? Last year we had 3 great ones...I don't understand the reasoning on why that's a bad thing. FJ is one of the lowest paid starting RBs out there: he's making 1.75 million this year. CJ on the other hand is getting $20 million guaranteed. So we can be cheap and say, "We're already paying CJ alot of money, let's try to get him to start" - which appears to be what the FO wants to do, or we can take a different perspective and say, "You know, right now FJ is our best starter and he's making peanuts. Pay the man what he deserves and let's keep and use both of them."

Period. Just pay the man what he deserves...

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                  We play to win the game!
                  • Oct 2009

Jackson should receive slightly less than what the NY Giants offered Ahmad Bradshaw. 4 yrs 19 million. 9 guaranteed. Bills should give him 5 guaranteed. He isn't as young or as good as him. Close though.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

i love fred jackson. i like what he represents (does what it takes, makes something out of nothing, etc), but signing a 30 year old to a long term contract is a bit blind.

it's the same as taking a RB in the first round. These guys are replaceable. again, i liked fred when lynch was the starter. i think he finds the hole and is a dependable guy. but 2 years from now when injuries or slower production catches up, he won't be worth the dollars. that's the business angle of it.

yeah, he could still be productive, but the team will still be picking backs up from later rounds and hopefully they get a brain and fix the line so any average back can have great stats.

i think it's unfair to fred jackson now, but the cold reality is you don't want this guy on your balance sheet 3 to 4 years from now.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto

Remind me to buy a bag of Navy beans and just pelt Overdorf with them, when he enters the stadium.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by trapezeus
                        i love fred jackson. i like what he represents (does what it takes, makes something out of nothing, etc), but signing a 30 year old to a long term contract is a bit blind.

it's the same as taking a RB in the first round. These guys are replaceable. again, i liked fred when lynch was the starter. i think he finds the hole and is a dependable guy. but 2 years from now when injuries or slower production catches up, he won't be worth the dollars. that's the business angle of it.

yeah, he could still be productive, but the team will still be picking backs up from later rounds and hopefully they get a brain and fix the line so any average back can have great stats.

i think it's unfair to fred jackson now, but the cold reality is you don't want this guy on your balance sheet 3 to 4 years from now.
                        This......
                        How many over 30 RBs are effective in this league? He has less miles on him now but sign him to a 4 year contract and he no longer has less miles on him in the middle of that contract.

Everything to Bills fans is the Bills are cheap thats why they are bad. Its getting really old to read it over and over. We are bad because we cant draft and dont have a core of players from the draft. Free agents then dont want to come here unless we overpay a ton for them which is a dumb move all around. There have been years the Bills have thrown a ton of money around. Not recently but I ask you this why go all out in FA if its not going to really do anything other than make you 5-11 instead of 3-13?

I just feel if all you can do is complain about the team (you have a right they suck) but when they do something right not give them credit and just find something to complain about or complain they should have brought a different guy in or go out and trade picks for busts from other teams (tebow) then just find a new team to cheer on.

I came back to this board because the lockout made free agency a bit more exciting this year and got me pumped. But about the only thing it made me realize is that SOME (not all) really make the fan base look bad in many eyes. Cheer your team on when they do good, Boo them when they are bad. But why can this team do nothing positive in some of your eyes?

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                          The Voice of Reason
                          • Jul 2007

For those making the over 30 point... Didn't most of the "over 30" backs start when they were 21-22 years old? And how long has Fred been a feature back in the NFL?

Sure, he's old, but his body hasn't seen the severity of an every down NFL back this whole time. He's an exception to the rule IMO.
                          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

he hasn't been a featured back, but he's played a lot of football in practices, fighting ot make teams. The guy has played football, and the body at age 30 does slow down. and i think WR's can really eat healthy and workout and whatnot to slow it down. but running backs make contact all the time.

I like him. he should be our starter, but from a business angle, he needs to play his contract out, maybe a signing bonus for next year, but that's about it. you don't want him as a long term solution.

this puts the onus on spiller and other picks to get better faster.

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ServoBillieves
                              For those making the over 30 point... Didn't most of the "over 30" backs start when they were 21-22 years old? And how long has Fred been a feature back in the NFL?

Sure, he's old, but his body hasn't seen the severity of an every down NFL back this whole time. He's an exception to the rule IMO.
                              He did still play football and still took hits. He played indoor from 04-05, 06 was NFL europe and then of course 07- present he has played on the Bills.

So he may not have been our feature back but he still was taking hits and still touched the ball A LOT especially in indoor.

He is an Above Average Back in this league but I say that lasts two more years at the most then he will start a decline. Not worth it. There are to many RBs in this league and you can get one for great value in the draft as well (god help us if its in the 1st round again)
                              Last edited by lightningbolt444; 08-29-2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X