PDA

View Full Version : Guess who also might have some blackouts this year

BillyT92679
08-29-2011, 07:24 PM
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2011/08/the-dolphins-preseason-finale-against-dallas-at-sun-life-stadium-will-not-be-televised-live-because-the-game-will-not-be-sold.html

BillyT92679
08-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Unless the Bills are really good I expect three blackouts here as well.

ServoBillieves
08-29-2011, 09:01 PM
I expect to blackout 16 Sundays this year.

mrbojanglezs
08-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Less people have the extra cash

djjimkelly
08-30-2011, 01:56 AM
this is why living in southern ontario i have my directv subscription from detroit

no blackouts for me :)

zone
08-30-2011, 06:07 AM
all it takes is an early win streak from the Bills and they are the hottest ticket in town. If they get off to a quick start you won't have to worry about any blackouts.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-30-2011, 07:02 AM
The Dolphins are hurt by the fact they were 1-7 at home last season. Those losses stung. Folks didn't enjoy going home from games unhappy and are obviously guarding themselves from a similar experience this year.

Some fans are waiting to see how the club does against the Patriots in the season opener before making a ticket buying commitment. Win the opener and the club will give people a reason for coming back. Lose, and it could be hard to convince folks to purchase seats for the following week's game against Houston -- a team the Dolphins have never beaten.

In fact, many of the same things can be said of Buffalo. This monopoly New England has built on the division is hurting attendance in the league, and I certainly hope the league wakes up.

DraftBoy
08-30-2011, 07:05 AM
I expect there to be a record number of blackouts this year league wide. Money is scarce.

BillyT92679
08-30-2011, 08:05 AM
I expect there to be a record number of blackouts this year league wide. Money is scarce.
Well, there will be a lot for nowadays... nowhere near a record number though, back in the 70s and 80s you'd get, on average, about 90-100 games blacked out per year. The Dolphins used to have blackouts all the time back in the early 80s even with them being good.

Today, a 4-12 Bills team would have four blackouts, in 1983 an 8-8 Bills team would have 6-7 blackouts.

Before 1973 every home game was blacked out regardless if it was a sell out or not, so blackouts didn't have the stigma they do today. People who lived in the blackout zones (primary markets and secondary markets within 75 miles of the stadium) sort of expected to not see any home football games on television.

tampabay25690
08-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I think Tampa will blackout everygame.....
Maybe the Sat nite game VS Dallas.

Just think there stadium holds 8,000 less then Ralph Wilson Stadium.....
YIKES

yea I see blackouts all across the NFL this year.....

mrbojanglezs
08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Is it just me of does the blackout rule really screw the networks that pay billions to have the games

BillyT92679
08-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Is it just me of does the blackout rule really screw the networks that pay billions to have the games
They are really anachronistic. They made sense when so much revenue was made off of ticket sales. Today money comes from the TV deal and revenue sharing, so Ralph would just be as well off, if not maybe in some ways even better off, getting to have each game televised even if not every seat is sold. Ratings are huge for the Bills even when they suck, so there is advertising revenue flowing into the tv station and also potentially the team that gets snuffed out with blackouts.

ddaryl
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
In fact, many of the same things can be said of Buffalo. This monopoly New England has built on the division is hurting attendance in the league, and I certainly hope the league wakes up.

now that is a bunch of horse manure.

what is the league going to do.... Order the patriots to start sucking for the benefit of the league

if that was sarcasm you really don't have the knack

ddaryl
08-30-2011, 09:29 AM

obviously not if they keep bidding billions for the rights

BertSquirtgum
08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
miami is an arm pit

Mski
08-30-2011, 10:37 AM
miami has usually had issues selling out games just like jacksonville

better days
08-30-2011, 10:43 AM
miami has usually had issues selling out games just like jacksonville

Miami has sold out the tickets to the games, people just don't go.

ServoBillieves
08-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Living in the south now, I realize what people told me about how NFL football is overshadowed by College football and NASCAR.

Carolina games seem to sell out, but most people are talking about the upcoming SEC matches/et cetera.

Whatever, I'll still be at the Bills bars down here watching every Sunday... Crawl home at some point after.