PDA

View Full Version : Can't Help But Wonder

User Manuel
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
If the Lee Stempniak Trade to Calgary is a precursor to the Buffalo-Isles-Flames deal that has been talked about.

I could definately see Stempniak to Buff - Hecht to Flames and Morrison to Isles with draft picks mixed in throughout.

G Wolly
08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
My friend's mom works with Stempniak's mom.

He brings it up EVERY time the Sabres play him.

chernobylwraiths
08-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Don't see Hecht being traded. Boyes, maybe.

THATHURMANATOR
08-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I don't get it.

If the Sabres wanted Stempniak why didn't they just trade for him directly.

SabreEleven
08-30-2011, 11:23 AM
It might have to do with making cap room.

THATHURMANATOR
08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Is Stempniak a big get though? Nothing special. Is a local boy!

Ebenezer
08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
If they wanted him so badly couldn't they have gotten him before? Does this story keep croping up because he is a local boy?

TheGhostofJimKelly
08-31-2011, 06:15 AM
I don't think so, the Sabres could have signed Stepniak in the off-season when no team wanted him.

OpIv37
08-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Something else to think about: Can Stempniak play C? Otherwise, there is zero chance we move Hecht for him.

Don't get me wrong- I think Hecht is past his prime and he isn't anything great, but we really don't have anything at C past Roy- just Hecht, then Boyes and Leino who are wingers moved to C.

If we make any changes to our forwards, it HAS to include adding a center.

jimbohastle51
09-02-2011, 01:04 AM
If the Lee Stempniak Trade to Calgary is a precursor to the Buffalo-Isles-Flames deal that has been talked about.

I could definately see Stempniak to Buff - Hecht to Flames and Morrison to Isles with draft picks mixed in throughout.
the fit with morrisons expiring contract and the isles need at defense and to get to the cap floor is a perfect trade match, in my opinion this has to happen for both clubs.
i could see a scenario where the sabres get rid of morrison to the isles, the isles send a pick to calgary, the sabres send sekera to calgary and calgary sends stajan or brendan morrison to us. in this (part A of my scenario we help calgary and the isles while gaining either a 2nd or 3rd line center with an expiring contract in morrison or we gain a young C with promise at a fair 3.5 million rate for a few seasons while not giving up a draft pick which darcy would love!) now on to part b of my scenario
in part b, we make another solid move by sending brad boyes to the coyotes for a 2nd round pick. the coyotes are right at the salary floor after making the trade for langkow from calgary and boyes would be a perect winger for him to feed to. the best part is that the sabres eliminate a contract they dont want in morrison, they get good value for a expiring contract in boyes, and we get a centerman for sekera and either way you look at the center coming to us from calgary its a good deal for sekera. if brendan morrison is not hacking it we can easily move his expiring contract at the deadline in a deal and if we get stajan we are essentially getting the same player as sekera. a young player that has shown lots of flashes. and the best part is at the end of it all we get a high draft pick and give none of our own draft picks up.
by the way if you do the math the sabres also come out of this whole thing not only with a 2nd to 3rd line center, a 2nd round pick but they come out with around 3 million in cap space which would enable them to make a substantial addition at the trade deadline if we are in contention.