• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLeonard
    BoB Sabermetrician
    • Jan 2003

Marv Levy on The Early Show

Dunno if anyone saw it, but Marv was on The Early Show this morning, talking about his novel "Between the Lies."

-Bill
    Last edited by BLeonard; 08-30-2011, 09:56 PM.
  • GreedoII
    • Aug 2007

Re: Marv Levy on The Early Show

Was he asked why he set back this franchise 5 yrs with his dubious GM run and then left town for others to clean up his mess? Marv is an overrated fraud.

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

the real question is "can this be good" and do i let my blind allegiance to the 90's teams make me purchase this book regardless?

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

You could have coached those teams to the Super Bowl, and might have even won one.
        They were outcoached in every one of them. Talk about a guy being in the right place at the right time.

Comment

• Don't Panic
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by k-oneputt
          You could have coached those teams to the Super Bowl, and might have even won one.
          They were outcoached in every one of them. Talk about a guy being in the right place at the right time.
          That's not a fair statement. He was highly respected by those players. I can't tell you how many times I've heard them quote the man. You didn't get that unless you make an impact on them. A lot of coaches never would have been able to get them to buy in... especially when they were down 35-3 at halftime vs. Houston... especially when they had already lost 1, 2, and 3 Super Bowls.

The guy might have been incapable (or way past his time) as a GM, but he was a great coach. Don't deny him that.
          Last edited by Don't Panic; 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• k-oneputt
            • Jun 2009

Sorry but I do deny him the great coach title.
            I personally think he was an average coach surronded by great talent. And when we needed the great coach to surface {superbowls} he failed.

Comment

• Don't Panic
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Dec 2005

I personally think he was an average coach surronded by great talent. And when we needed the great coach to surface {superbowls} he failed.
              Dallas flat out had superior talent. The Skins game arguably should've been a win, so I'll give him some repsonsibility there. As for the Giants game... should he have put himself in for Norwood?

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                • Apr 2004

I don't buy that argument. Multiple winning seasons, huge playoff wins, huge second half comebacks, but somehow he wasn't good enough for the superbowl....

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Don't Panic
                  Dallas flat out had superior talent. The Skins game arguably should've been a win, so I'll give him some repsonsibility there. As for the Giants game... should he have put himself in for Norwood?
                  The first Dallas team had way more talent and we deserved to lose that one. The second Dallas team we could/should have beat had we score a damned TD before the half ended instead of a FG. The Redskins were a far superior team and was one of the best teams in the history of the NFL if you look back. In terms of the first one, yeah Scotty gets the blame but I blame Kelly more as he could have done a little more to get us closer in the final seconds.

Comment

• Mski
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by The Jokeman
                    In terms of the first one, yeah Scotty gets the blame but I blame Kelly more as he could have done a little more to get us closer in the final seconds.
                    He could have just kept handing the ball off to thurman throughout the game, the giants couldnt stop him at all
                    RIP Tommy D!
                    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                      • Feb 2009

The Skins game arguably should've been a win,
                      The 1991 Redskins are one of the Top 5 teams of all time.. Probably the most underrated of all the "great" teams.. Best offense and 2nd best defense in 1991.. point differential of 16.2ppg one of the highest of all time.. I think the 91 Redskins were better than the 92 or 93 Cowboys.. 20 years later they were just a better team than the Bills.. The only SB the Bills "should" have won is obviously SB 25

Comment

• Bill Cody
                        • Sep 2004

He should have run one more play. Too risky? Not really, it was the only chance. The kick was doomed. Norwood was incapable of making a 48 yarder on grass, check his stats.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Sell Local Ralph
                          He should have run one more play. Too risky? Not really, it was the only chance. The kick was doomed. Norwood was incapable of making a 48 yarder on grass, check his stats.
                          Exactly he had 18 seconds on the clock to work with and could have easily run one more play like a quick screen to Thurman for five or six yards which would have made things a little easier for Scotty.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sell Local Ralph
                            Norwood was incapable of making a 48 yarder on grass, check his stats.
                            Yep..Prior to the kick Norwood was 1 for 5 on FGs on grass longer than 45 yards

Comment

• GreedoII
                              • Aug 2007

They should have beat that team of backuops by 3 td's. Kelly's ego and Marv's inability to reel him in lost that game. Tackling was awful as well. They should have ran the ball down their throats. I digress....

Comment

Working...
                              X