PDA

View Full Version : Ubbik This Thursday

ghz in pittsburgh
08-31-2011, 07:29 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article539934.ece

I know Chan is not dumb to leave him one-on-one against Suh. Wood will probably joining hands with urbik on every play. If I remember correctly, however, Wood did have some success one-on-one aginst Suh last year, preseason and regular season.

In a way I kind of wish they challenge Urbik, let fim face Suh one-on-one (I know the big picture is not having Suh cause Fitz to be injured) to see where he's at. The word from Pittsburgh is that he's soft and lacking dynamic power (meaning his strength on the run is much lower than when he's set in stationary position).

Let's see what he got.

mrbojanglezs
08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
He is a massive man at 6 5 325 pounds so I think he could do a good job

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Another guy to watch is Cliff Avril. He has developed into one of the best young DE in the game and nobody realizes it yet. He is going to be a great player, and will be lining up at LDE.

Of course, the starters aren't going to be playing very long.

mrbojanglezs
08-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Plus him practicing against dareus in TC helped

ddaryl
08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
It's good experience for Urbik.,.... Detroit has Suh and Fairley there going to be a team to watch this year

Mr. Miyagi
08-31-2011, 08:28 AM
I doubt any of the starters will even play this game.

methos4ever
08-31-2011, 08:31 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article539934.ece

I know Chan is not dumb to leave him one-on-one against Suh. Wood will probably joining hands with urbik on every play. If I remember correctly, however, Wood did have some success one-on-one aginst Suh last year, preseason and regular season.

In a way I kind of wish they challenge Urbik, let fim face Suh one-on-one (I know the big picture is not having Suh cause Fitz to be injured) to see where he's at. The word from Pittsburgh is that he's soft and lacking dynamic power (meaning his strength on the run is much lower than when he's set in stationary position).

Let's see what he got.
Most of the time, since Suh'd line up in 3 tech Wood won't have time to help - he'd most likely handle the 1 with Levitre. Ross Tucker put up an article a while ago about that very fact - how he felt the right guard was the hardest position on the interior. So if Urbik can hold up, that'd be great to see..

psubills62
08-31-2011, 08:46 AM
It's good experience for Urbik.,.... Detroit has Suh and Fairley there going to be a team to watch this year
Fairley's injured - currently has his foot in a boot. I'm guessing he won't be playing tomorrow.

psubills62
08-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Urbik may be lacking in talent, but he has one of the few things Gailey and Nix seem to value in the trenches - size. I'm betting that's a reason Rinehart significantly challenged Levitre earlier in TC - size. They worked hard at getting bigger on the defensive front, and while most of these OL are waiver wire pickups, they've worked on it with the OL also. I have to believe it's something they'll continue to work on this coming offseason with regards to the OL.

ddaryl
08-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Fairley's injured - currently has his foot in a boot. I'm guessing he won't be playing tomorrow.

yeah I remember reading that now.... BUT none the less when he comes back Detroits DL will have some serious beef

cookie G
08-31-2011, 09:08 AM
My favorite Urbik play last week was watching Urbik get knocked backwards by DE when pulling on a trap play. It was right up there with getting knocked backwards by Urlacher at the 2nd level, or a Denver LB.

In his case, big don't spell bad. There's a reason Pittsburgh cut him so early.

Forward_Lateral
08-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Hopefully Fitz doesn't get killed.

ddaryl
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
My favorite Urbik play last week was watching Urbik get knocked backwards by DE when pulling on a trap play. It was right up there with getting knocked backwards by Urlacher at the 2nd level, or a Denver LB.

Yes at least you admit your favorite plays are the ones that support the Bills are horrible mentality.. Gotta respect that

Couldn't find anything good to say from the starting OL performance against Jax? or urbik.. just that one favorite play

TigerJ
08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
I was curious about why Urbik got cut in Pittsburgh. Thanks GHZ. I wonder if Buffalo has been able to coach some physicality into Urbik. I'm looking forward to learning what he can do versus Suh.

cookie G
08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Yes at least you admit your favorite plays are the ones that support the Bills are horrible mentality.. Gotta respect that

Couldn't find anything good to say from the starting OL performance against Jax? or urbik.. just that one favorite play

You're right.

I should have talked about how big he is, how much more stout we are and how awesome it is that we were able to sustain pass blocks for more than 1.5 seconds against the reserves of one of the NFL's worst pass rushing teams.

There was a time when this team actually had standards for their offensive line.

BillsWin
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
He's not aggressive enough yet. I'd like to see Wood teach him a thing or two about getting mean at the point of contact.

mayotm
08-31-2011, 09:49 AM
The first team offense scored on 3 - 4 possessions and had almost 250 yards against Jacksonville. Yet, many are talking about how Urbik, Wood and others were being dominated. Whatever they were doing, didn't seem to hurt the offense. The o-line has a long way to go, but if we are talking about the Jacksonville game, they played fairly well.

better days
08-31-2011, 09:50 AM
You're right.

There was a time when this team actually had standards for their offensive line.

Wow, you must have a good memory, I can't remember back that far.

psubills62
08-31-2011, 09:51 AM

Huh, must have missed the part where I said it did. There's also a reason I never said he was a talented big guy.

ddaryl
08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
You're right.

I should have talked about how big he is, how much more stout we are and how awesome it is that we were able to sustain pass blocks for more than 1.5 seconds against the reserves of one of the NFL's worst pass rushing teams.

No you're just ridiculous.. I just watch the 1st 3 possessions of ther JAX game again and Urbik was rock solid. So was Pears..

It doesn't mean we won't have rough spots and bad games.. but this is a very young OL who is learning to gel.. and They are definitely not nearly as horrible as you and others think..

cookie G
08-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Wow, you must have a good memory, I can't remember back that far.

Once upon a time, they were measured against some of the better defenses in the NFL.

A team like Oakland would come in with Pro Bowlers Howie Long and Greg Townsend, and the Bills would stonewall them;

A team like KC would show up with Pro Bowlers Derrick Thomas, Dan Saleamua and Neil Smith, and Thurman would run for 120 yards in a half.

Now we should get excited about someone not getting schooled by Jacksonville's reserves.

...but back to Suh. Last year before the Lions' game, someone asked elsewhere about Suh, and how we didn't have the guys to stop him. I mentioned that's why we drafted an Eric Wood.

Wood schooled him.

That IS why you draft a guy like that. We just need to do it more often.

cookie G
08-31-2011, 10:29 AM
No you're just ridiculous.. I just watch the 1st 3 possessions of ther JAX game again and Urbik was rock solid. So was Pears..

It doesn't mean we won't have rough spots and bad games.. but this is a very young OL who is learning to gel.. and They are definitely not nearly as horrible as you and others think..

Who's the one being ridiculous?

Jax had nearly the ypc against the run as the Bills did last year;
They were among the worst pass defenders, and actually had fewer sacks than the Bills last year;
They haven't had a sack yet this year;
and didn't have 2 of their starting front 4 (the 2 better ones).

But fine, if that's how you want to judge them, be my guest.

But there's no B league in the NFL.