PDA

View Full Version : Brian Brohm was just cut...

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I remember early last year people were clamoring that Brian Brohm had potential, despite the fact he had never shown any in the NFL.

He was just cut. By the Las Vegas Locomotives, a UFL team.

Pretty funny, looking back to a year ago at this time and what some were saying about him.

Actually, I'm an idiot, he was just signed by them.

Still sucks, though.

DraftBoy
08-31-2011, 10:37 AM
CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Static
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
I saw him in the Free Agent market on Madden.

trapezeus
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
bring him in!

i guess i should probably say I'm just kidding or else people will go crazy.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Whoops!

It was reported wrong. He was just SIGNED by the Las Vegas UFL team. Damn twitter.

EDS
08-31-2011, 10:41 AM
People thought Jamon Meredith was the future at LT too.

zone
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Didn't Lossman qb them to a championship or something?

CleveSteve
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Candidate for "Big Nothing" thread of the day.

better days
08-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I remember early last year people were clamoring that Brian Brohm had potential, despite the fact he had never shown any in the NFL.

Pretty funny, looking back to a year ago at this time and what some were saying about him.

Still sucks, though.

Well, people thought he had potential because of his college play & the fact that Green Bay had good QB's on their team. I think after actually seeing him play in the last game, people were over him.

better days
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM

Still sucks, though.

Have you been attending the Pat Moran school of journalism?

hydro
08-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Have you been attending the Pat Moran school of journalism?

Icky has never claimed to be a journalist.

better days
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Icky has never claimed to be a journalist.

He was breaking news, the Pat Moran way. In other words, he got it WRONG.

IT WAS A JOKE.

Bill Cody
08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Brian Brohm is just a victim of bad coaching. He and JP Losman got screwed by the Bills. Both are Pro Bowl talents that we will rue the day we let them go.:birds:

better days
08-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Brian Brohm is just a victim of bad coaching. He and JP Losman got screwed by the Bills. Both are Pro Bowl talents that we will rue the day we let them go.:birds:

Well, you can add Trent Edwards as well. It must be the coaching.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 11:45 AM
He was breaking news, the Pat Moran way. In other words, he got it WRONG.

Not a journalist, but like Pat I rushed something out there without checking it myself first. I didn't smear his reputation nationally like Pat did, but we both didn't check our sources.

Brohm still sucks, though.

better days
08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Not a journalist, but like Pat I rushed something out there without checking it myself first. I didn't smear his reputation nationally like Pat did, but we both didn't check our sources.

Brohm still sucks, though.

"Not a journalist" Well, you have that in common with Pat also.

Ebenezer
08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
While I never thought he was a savior I sure wanted Brohm to get a chance simply because at the time there looked like little to no alternative.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Ah, the Las Vegas Locomotives, the team that turns Buffalo castoffs into league champion QBs. See: JP Losman, Drew Willy (yes, I know, he's a Bull, not a Bill), and now Brian Brohm. I smell threepeat!

Dozerdog
08-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I thought that league folded

better days
08-31-2011, 04:24 PM
I thought that league folded

It is on the VERGE of folding. I don't know why the NFL does not buy & run it themselves. It could be a great minor league for them. Maybe they could even have guys coming off injury play there a game or two like baseball does with the minors.

YardRat
08-31-2011, 04:40 PM
I was in the camp that wanted to see what Brohm could do in regular season action, and certainly not afraid to admit it.

He came, he saw....He sucked. Sometimes that happens, but at least we got the chance to see it.

sdbillsfan2
08-31-2011, 05:27 PM
I actually liked Brohm in college . I was pissed green bay drafted him. When the bills got him I really hoped he would show something. He didn't . and once again a Bills qb let me down. With Fitz there are no illusions........he is who he is!
I doubt Brohm starts for Vegas.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 06:34 PM
It is on the VERGE of folding. I don't know why the NFL does not buy & run it themselves. It could be a great minor league for them. Maybe they could even have guys coming off injury play there a game or two like baseball does with the minors.

Why? Because they already have a minor league and it doesn't cost them anything. It is called College Football.

The UFL has bled money as a rate that will probably kill it. Why would the NFL want that?

better days
08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Why? Because they already have a minor league and it doesn't cost them anything. It is called College Football.

The UFL has bled money as a rate that will probably kill it. Why would the NFL want that?

There are guys that come out of college that need more time to develop, the UFL with the NFL shield, would probably do much better than an independent UFL.

For one thing there would be no question or cost when a player was signed by an NFL team, therefore more players would sign on to play in the league.

zone
08-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Didn't they try that with NFL Europe?

BillsFever21
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM

There are people who will think that almost any player is a future star or potential starter just for the simple fact that they were signed/drafted by the Bills and no other reason.

better days
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Didn't they try that with NFL Europe?

Yeah. They tried to get Europeans who love SOCCER to embrace American Football. Went over about as well as soccer does in the United States.

Aside from that fact, costs would be much cheaper in America than abroad for the NFL. If they set the teams up like hocky does with the AHL, where they are affiliated with an NFL team, more people may watch on TV as well which would mean more money.

You could watch the Vegas team for example & see guys develop & know they are the property of the Bills.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
The NFL has a feeder league that gives them tons of new players every year for nothing in college football. Why would they spend the money on another league?

How many of the UFL guys have gone on to the league? A handful at most, and none are more than just end of the roster guys. How much should they pay for that?

Your premise is wrong, it costs a lot of money to have a league, there is no evidence that a feeder league would be successful.

The UFL lost $45M last year, pissing through all their initial seed money to the point where they are struggling to pay their bills. They had to downsize to 4 teams playing a 6-game season (assuming they don't go belly up before it is played).

The XFL, Vince McMahon's attempt at an alternative league, lost $65M before folding.

The USFL, the alternative league from the early 80's, lost $100M before folding and sueing the NFL (famously winning a $1 judgement). That league actually had quite a bit of talent as well, because they paid pretty well.

The NFL tried the alternative league in Europe, and while it was successful developing players, it bled money to the point where the NFL finally gave up on it.

Why would the NFL pay the money it takes for a feeder league to develop a few more players when they get a ton fo talent developed for nothing thanks to College Football?

better days
08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
The NFL has a feeder league that gives them tons of new players every year for nothing in college football. Why would they spend the money on another league?

How many of the UFL guys have gone on to the league? A handful at most, and none are more than just end of the roster guys. How much should they pay for that?

Your premise is wrong, it costs a lot of money to have a league, there is no evidence that a feeder league would be successful.

The UFL lost $45M last year, pissing through all their initial seed money to the point where they are struggling to pay their bills. They had to downsize to 4 teams playing a 6-game season (assuming they don't go belly up before it is played).

The XFL, Vince McMahon's attempt at an alternative league, lost $65M before folding.

The USFL, the alternative league from the early 80's, lost $100M before folding and sueing the NFL (famously winning a $1 judgement). That league actually had quite a bit of talent as well, because they paid pretty well.

The NFL tried the alternative league in Europe, and while it was successful developing players, it bled money to the point where the NFL finally gave up on it.

Why would the NFL pay the money it takes for a feeder league to develop a few more players when they get a ton fo talent developed for nothing thanks to College Football?

I have ALREADY addressed EVERY ISSUE in this post.

Johnny Bugmenot
08-31-2011, 07:51 PM

And, if you haven't noticed with all the scandals at the major schools (Miami, Ohio State, USC) in recent years... college football is imploding with all the corruption going on.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
I have ALREADY addressed EVERY ISSUE in this post.

You didn't address anything. The fact is, there is no evidence that a feeder league will make money. In fact, there is a lot of evidence that a feeder league for the NFL will cost a lot of money to run and not make money.

So... why would they pay the money when they already have a steady supply of players coming from college football for nothing? Because you say so?

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
And, if you haven't noticed with all the scandals at the major schools (Miami, Ohio State, USC) in recent years... college football is imploding with all the corruption going on.

College football is as popular as ever. They are making money like crazy. There have always been scandals and corruption in college football, but I don't see any imploding.

Oaf
08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
HAHA, I remember that. My brother shaking his head about it as a GB fan. Bills: Kings of the Waiver Wire.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 09:28 PM
HAHA, I remember that. My brother shaking his head about it as a GB fan. Bills: Kings of the Waiver Wire.

Your brother is a Green Bay fan? What are you, the black sheep or something? Must suck on holidays.

Syderick
08-31-2011, 09:39 PM

I'd consider the CFL to be that type of league. Its usually been helpful for players for years to go to the CFL then on to the NFL.

better days
09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
You didn't address anything. The fact is, there is no evidence that a feeder league will make money. In fact, there is a lot of evidence that a feeder league for the NFL will cost a lot of money to run and not make money.

So... why would they pay the money when they already have a steady supply of players coming from college football for nothing? Because you say so?

I never said the feeder league would make money. An independent league NEEDS to make money long term, the NFL could write off that league as a business expense. I don't think they would lose as much money as in Europe.

As I said I have adressed everything in your post.

ServoBillieves
09-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I wonder if Larry Tripplett can get a sack on him...

Johnny Bugmenot
09-03-2011, 10:15 AM
College football is as popular as ever. They are making money like crazy. There have always been scandals and corruption in college football, but I don't see any imploding.
Oh, please. Never at this scale. When SMU got the death penalty, they were alone. Alabama got probation, they were alone. We have a pervasive, extensive pattern arising not just at particular schools, but across virtually all of the powerhouse franchise colleges of the past decade. This is not the same. College football is falling apart at the seams. As for popularity, even the XFL was popular for a couple of weeks. College football, too, will eventually implode once the full extent of the crooked behavior of the NCAA's elite programs is revealed.

Ickybaluky
09-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Oh, please. Never at this scale. When SMU got the death penalty, they were alone. Alabama got probation, they were alone. We have a pervasive, extensive pattern arising not just at particular schools, but across virtually all of the powerhouse franchise colleges of the past decade. This is not the same. College football is falling apart at the seams. As for popularity, even the XFL was popular for a couple of weeks. College football, too, will eventually implode once the full extent of the crooked behavior of the NCAA's elite programs is revealed.

Oh, please yourself. College football is no more corrupt, and even if it is there is no real effect. The truth is it has always been run the same way. The Miami thing generated some publicity, but is it any different than what top programs have been doing for years? No, it isn't.

The fact is college football is more popular than ever.

"Coming apart at the seams"? Please. Based on what?

How do you explain this (http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/03/popularity-of-college-football-soaring/):

- 49.6 million fans watched an NCAA football game at the 639 schools this past year. That's an increase of nearly 3 percent from the prior season.
- Thirteen FBS teams played in front of more than a million people on the season (Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Georgia).
- Four FBS teams saw increases of more than 10,000 fans from last year (Louisville, Northwestern, Rice and Eastern Michigan).

Here is a list of the major conference TV contracts (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-07-22/news/os-college-football-tv-deals-0723201020100722_1_espn-big-ten-network-big-east):

SEC

ESPN/15 years/$2.25 billion/Ends 2023-24

CBS/15 years/$825 million/Ends 2023-24

Big Ten

Big Ten Network/25 years/$2.8 billion/2031-32

ABC/ESPN/10 years/$1 billion/2016

CBS/10 years/$20 million/2018-19*

*For basketball

ACC

ABC/ESPN/12 years/$1.86 billion/2022-23

Raycom Sports/10 years/$300 million

Big 12