PDA

View Full Version : Divisional opponents

psubills62
08-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Anyone been paying attention to them? After reading numerous people mention over and over how our divisional opponents got better over the offseason while we either got worse or stayed the same, just thought I'd mention a few tidbits:

- Ochocinco has reportedly had an awful preseason.
- Brandon Tate (former 3rd round WR for Pats) is apparently on the roster bubble.
- Pats cut their former starting SS, James Sanders, who signed with the Falcons as well as former 4th round pick, CB Jonathan Wilhite
- Daniel Thomas, the RB the Dolphins traded up into the 2nd round for (gave up 3 picks for him, I believe), has been a big disappointment. Coaches aren't happy with his ability to run up the gut. Reggie Bush (who got 5 carries for -1 yards the last preseason game) will almost certainly be the starter.
- Philip Merling, former 2nd round pick (32nd overall) of Dolphins has reportedly lost explosiveness after an Achilles injury last year. He's currently the 5th DE and is on the roster bubble.
- 2010 3rd round pick, OG John Jerry has reportedly been a "bitter, bitter disappointment" and was "soft and unprepared."
- Dolphins just put OT Allen Barbre on IR and their OL hasn't looked very good overall this preseason. They only got 15 yards on 13 carries against Tampa Bay.

Take from it what you will. I haven't heard much about the Jets overall, though I thought they were the one team who didn't really improve at all this offseason compared to last year (only re-signed a couple guys, lost a decent number of players too though).

Most all of this info is from rotoworld.com, by the way.

BillsWin
08-31-2011, 02:45 PM
CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

BillsFanCupp38
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Rule number 1: Never count that pats out. I don't care who they drafted, traded, cut or signed. Belichick is a mad scientist when it comes to this game.

And rule number 2: Everyone knows the Dolphins are going to suck this year. Maybe worse than the Bills.

psubills62
08-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Rule number 1: Never count that pats out. I don't care who they drafted, cut or signed. Belichick is a mad scientist when it comes to this game.

And rule number 2: Everyone knows the Dolphins are going to suck this year. Maybe worse than the Bills.
Haha, don't get me wrong - I'm certainly not saying the Pats are bad or even close to our level right now. Until we prove otherwise, I'm assuming they're always two losses on our schedule.

Just wanted to point out that just because other teams make moves, doesn't automatically mean those moves are great, fantastic and will work out perfectly.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
It will be interesting to see how teams are out of the gate. The lack of an offseason makes it a real unknown. I don't expect as much from rookies and teams with new players and new coaches will need more time to adjust.

Really, preseason isn't a good judge, but I think there will be some unexpected results after the first quarter of the season. I could see some real surprises. I don't think we will really be able to get a handle on who is in the thick of things until mid-season, it will take that long for teams to establish themselves, IMO.

psubills62
08-31-2011, 03:02 PM
It will be interesting to see how teams are out of the gate. The lack of an offseason makes it a real unknown. I don't expect as much from rookies and teams with new players and new coaches will need more time to adjust.

Really, preseason isn't a good judge, but I think there will be some unexpected results after the first quarter of the season. I could see some real surprises. I don't think we will really be able to get a handle on who is in the thick of things until mid-season, it will take that long for teams to establish themselves, IMO.
Agreed. That first paragraph is why I think there will be a number of worse teams in the league than the Bills. I'm not always pleased with the coaches, but I'm glad they weren't hired this most recent offseason.

sdbillsfan2
08-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm hoping Moats bags his qb quota this year and takes out Brady this time . And maybe since the Dr. (MD = Marcell Darius ) is in the house ,he'll pounce on Sanchez and tells his a** to cough.
Those two being out could level the field some if either misses time.
Miami.. I'll let Stevie , Freddy and fitzy to take care of them.

better days
08-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Anyone been paying attention to them? After reading numerous people mention over and over how our divisional opponents got better over the offseason while we either got worse or stayed the same, just thought I'd mention a few tidbits:

- Ochocinco has reportedly had an awful preseason.
- Brandon Tate (former 3rd round WR for Pats) is apparently on the roster bubble.
- Pats cut their former starting SS, James Sanders, who signed with the Falcons as well as former 4th round pick, CB Jonathan Wilhite
- Daniel Thomas, the RB the Dolphins traded up into the 2nd round for (gave up 3 picks for him, I believe), has been a big disappointment. Coaches aren't happy with his ability to run up the gut. Reggie Bush (who got 5 carries for -1 yards the last preseason game) will almost certainly be the starter.
- Philip Merling, former 2nd round pick (32nd overall) of Dolphins has reportedly lost explosiveness after an Achilles injury last year. He's currently the 5th DE and is on the roster bubble.
- 2010 3rd round pick, OG John Jerry has reportedly been a "bitter, bitter disappointment" and was "soft and unprepared."
- Dolphins just put OT Allen Barbre on IR and their OL hasn't looked very good overall this preseason. They only got 15 yards on 13 carries against Tampa Bay.

Take from it what you will. I haven't heard much about the Jets overall, though I thought they were the one team who didn't really improve at all this offseason compared to last year (only re-signed a couple guys, lost a decent number of players too though).

Most all of this info is from rotoworld.com, by the way.

I have been watching the Fins & am surprised at how good they have looked. Henne is playing well in the preseason as is Bush & Marshall. Mike Nolan a very good coach is the DC & has the defense playing well.

I would not be surprised to see the Fins beat both the Pats* & Jets one game & I would not be surprised to see the Bills beat the Fins one game.

EDS
08-31-2011, 03:09 PM
I think Miami is going to have the best defense in the AFC East. They are stacked on the defensive line and at linebacker and have some solid corners. Their offense will likely suck though.

Jets defense will be good too but not sure about their pass rush. Revis island sure helps though They will be fine if Sanchez can take the next step, otherwise they are probably stuck at just being good.

Pats still have Brady so they are a the class of the division until proven otherwise.

Realistically, Bills best hope is to finish third in the division - relying on an improved defense and enough offense to prevail over the all defense/no offense Dolphins.

Buddo
08-31-2011, 05:58 PM
The Miami D is going to be good, no doubt, but they don't seem to have much in the way of an offense, if Henne doesn't start playing well.
Jets are pretty solid on both sides of the football, but there are cracks appearing. They have their own issues on their O-Line, and WR depth doesn't look too good. While both Holmes and Burress are highly talented, they are also both likely to miss time at some stage through injury - especially Burress, who simply hasn't had the necessary football practise to be truly 'fit' to play regularly yet.
Pats offense looks like it should be good as usual, but they haven't really got Ocho and Brady on the same page yet. Also, can they successfully work Haynesworth into their D. Whilst their D doesn't make too many mistakes, they also don't have much of a pass rush outside. TBH, I think they are trying to get Wilfork and Haynesworth to create enough pressure through the middle, to somewhat negate their lack outside.
Quite a few 'pundits' seem to be going with the Jets for the division, but I still don't see it yet. I think the Pats have more options as to how they can play against different teams, to still give them the edge when it comes down to wins/losses.

Sometimes, it isn't simply about assembling the most talent, it's about getting the talent you have, to play together consistently. I think all the teams in the division have some question marks about their ability to make that happen - on one side of the football or the other.

El Guapo
08-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Rule number 1: Never count that pats out. I don't care who they drafted, traded, cut or signed. Belichick is a mad scientist when it comes to this game.

Don't give bill bellicheat all the credit. The day Brady retires (or before), Bellicheat will run for the hills. His reputation is built on the shoulders of (and yes, it hurts me to say this) an amazing QB. if Brady goes down, watch this ship list, at best.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't give bill bellicheat all the credit. The day Brady retires (or before), Bellicheat will run for the hills. His reputation is built on the shoulders of (and yes, it hurts me to say this) an amazing QB. if Brady goes down, watch this ship list, at best.

Yet, he had a full year without Brady in 2008 and won 11 games. Kinda flies in the face of your theory.

No doubt Brady makes Belichick a better coach. However, you could say that about any great QB.

Joe Fo Sho
08-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Yet, he had a full year without Brady in 2008 and won 11 games. Kinda flies in the face of your theory.

No doubt Brady makes Belichick a better coach. However, you could say that about any great QB.

I heard the Pats got caught cheating a couple years ago, right? That might have something to do with Belichick's success, cuz of the cheating. Cheating gives an unfair advantage to the team that commits the cheating.

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 07:27 PM
I heard the Pats got caught cheating a couple years ago, right? That might have something to do with Belichick's success, cuz of the cheating. Cheating gives an unfair advantage to the team that commits the cheating.

The funny part is how bitter people get.

When Belichick is inducted into the HOF, I can only imagine how much angst there will be among all the fans that have had their hopes crushed by the guy. Imagine if him and Brady go in the same year? Too funny.

Joe Fo Sho
08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
The funny part is how bitter people get.

When Belichick is inducted into the HOF, I can only imagine how much angst there will be among all the fans that have had their hopes crushed by the guy. Imagine if him and Brady go in the same year? Too funny.

It's a joke how everyone has such big hard ons for these guys. How many championships have they won legitimately?

Ickybaluky
08-31-2011, 07:48 PM
It's a joke how everyone has such big hard ons for these guys. How many championships have they won legitimately?

Joe Fo Sho
08-31-2011, 09:06 PM

Hahaha

BillsFever21
08-31-2011, 09:20 PM

I remember when Brady missed an entire year a few years ago some guy named Matt Cassell who had never played a game since high school and was like a 6th or 7th round draft pick came in and lead the team to 11 wins. I would consider that a pretty good job of coaching.

Brady is a great QB but Belichek proved he can still win games without him. Sure they were not as dominant but still won 11 games without him. Maybe Brady's success has something to do with Belicheck just as much as Belicheck success has something to do with Brady. Brady was a nobody either when Bledsoe got injured and he came in off the bench and lead the team to a SB victory that season.

TigerJ
09-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Riddle me this. When is bad news good news? I love it! Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily mean our competition in the division isn't formidable.

Phillip Merling was a pretty promising DE coming out of college. An achilles injury is a big deal and might end his career, but there's also a chance that after another year, in 2012 he might have recovered his old form. I think he's strictly a 4-3 DE though. Most of your bad news is from the Dolphins, isn't it. If the Bills are to move up in the AFC East standings, it's probably going to be at the expense of the Dolphins, though they have won some games this preseason. The must be doing something to move the ball. Could we get some bad news from the Jets other than Maybin being a disappointment?

psubills62
09-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Could we get some bad news from the Jets other than Maybin being a disappointment?
You called?

Jets OT Vladimir Ducasse had two false starts and a holding penalty called against him in Thursday's preseason finale.

"Clearly disappointing," coach Rex Ryan said. Despite impressive physical skills and athleticism, the light has yet to go on for Ducasse. He allowed two sacks in the preseason opener as well and will serve a backup role behind Wayne Hunter at right tackle this season
Again, quote is from rotoworld.com

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I was hoping we'd play the Pats for our 1st game. The closest we ever got to beating them was when we did. THe 2ndt game , BB usually figures us out via game tape and we get crushed.

Dozerdog
09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
The difference between the Pats and Bills

We cut former day 1 draft picks because they can't make the worst roster in the league. If they are good enough- we trade them for 4th round picks 3 years later.

The Pats cut 3rd rounders because they have plenty of talent and not enough spots

Our roster is filled with 5-6-7 th rounders and UDFA's

The Pats trade their former 7th rounders for top picks.

psubills62
09-02-2011, 09:44 AM
The difference between the Pats and Bills

We cut former day 1 draft picks because they can't make the worst roster in the league. If they are good enough- we trade them for 4th round picks 3 years later.

The Pats cut 3rd rounders because they have plenty of talent and not enough spots

Our roster is filled with 5-6-7 th rounders and UDFA's

Disagree with the bolded. They've had some good draft picks (especially at TE), but a number of these guys have just plain stunk, especially at CB.

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 09:49 AM

so how is it they are able to develop 7th rounders and then trade them for 1st rounders and not 3rd rounders?

Imo, they too have misses in the draft.

psubills62
09-21-2011, 12:10 PM
For those looking for Jets news:

The Jets faced eight defenders in the box on just 16 percent of running plays against the Jaguars last week.

This makes it even more disturbing that Shonn Greene could muster only 49 yards on 16 carries (3.06 YPC). We're starting to see that Greene is not a special talent and the Jets' offensive line is not as strong as it once was. With Nick Mangold (ankle) sidelined, the situation doesn't figure to get better. The time to sell on Greene is now.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5118/shonn-greene

Reality is that some teams are looking dominant, but EVERY team has concerns. Games are fortunately not played out on paper. I believe we have every reason to beat Miami and compete with the Jets.