PDA

View Full Version : Mike Florio thinks Bills can "steal playoff spot"

BillsWin
08-31-2011, 06:13 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/44330142#44330142

Discuss?

I've predicted third place in the East since the draft so I'm not shocked by his statements. But for us to steal a playoff berth we need to get really lucky.

mrbojanglezs
08-31-2011, 06:14 PM
it will be tough to get a wildcard in the AFC, i dont think this year, maybe next.

Mr. Pink
08-31-2011, 06:15 PM
Steal a playoff berth?!? ahahahahaha

The 2 wild card teams will come from these 4 teams, 2 of them will be division winners....New England, New York, Pittsburgh, Baltimore.

BillsWin
08-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Steal a playoff berth?!? ahahahahaha

The 2 wild card teams will come from these 4 teams, 2 of them will be division winners....New England, New York, Pittsburgh, Baltimore.

I think we are a year and a good draft away. I wouldn't be surprised at 8-8 though. 7-9 is more likely and 9-7 may be just out of reach.

YardRat
08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Although FT is probably spot on, there's always the any given Sunday thingie...

mayotm
08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
The Bills are a long shot to make a playoff run. That stated, I think they will be better than many think. I certainly don't think they will be in the running for the first pick in next year's draft like some are predicting.

zone
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Playoffs, Playoffs, you wanna talk about Playoffs....

In all seriousness I can see it happening and jesus would it be great.

better days
08-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Florio also thinks the Bills are likely to move to LA.....SCREW HIM.

T-Long
08-31-2011, 07:26 PM
There is no reason why this team can't finish third in the AFC East. I would be shocked if we are worse than the Dolphins

IAG
08-31-2011, 07:31 PM
The Bills are not finishing 3rd or making the playoffs.

I find it funny everyone is discarding Miami.

Thundering Buffalo
08-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Because their QB is a crying candy ass and their coach should be running a disposal service in Brooklyn.

IAG
08-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Nice statement about their coach. Kind of offensive. Keep it to football.

The Bills have to get a heck of a lot better before we start talking playoffs and 3rd place.

Jeff1220
08-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Florio has been on a mini-bandwagon since the OT losses vs. Baltimore/KC/Pitts last year.
I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think it will.

kelly2reed4six
08-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Not
A
Chance.....

ghz in pittsburgh
08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
If Spiller breaks out like Johnson did last year ... I can dream ...

justasportsfan
08-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Oh boy. Wait til OP checks in :nervous:

BillsFever21
08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Not a chance in hell this team makes the playoffs. It will take 11 wins for that to happen. This team is nowhere close to an 11 win team.

Now 3rd in the division is a possibility but that's pretty bad if that's considered an accomplishment and shows how far the Bills have fallen over the years if we would be content with that.

tampabay25690
08-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Hey the best thing is we are 0-0 still and we have a chance........

Listen guys look at the 1st 2 games..

@ KC, KC has looked terrible and they will take a hit with Charlie Weiss leaving and going to Florida.....I think the Bills start 1-0...

Week 2 Oakland traveling to BUFFALO for there home opener............
The Ralph is sold out and the place will be going crazy.....
Why not????
Bills start 2-0 and momentum is a funny thing in the NFL......

OK let me put down the joint.............

BertSquirtgum
08-31-2011, 10:31 PM
anyone that thinks this team is going to the playoffs can give me a call and i'll sell you a nickel for 50 dollars.

Mike13
08-31-2011, 10:42 PM
....How?

Billz_fan
08-31-2011, 10:44 PM
anyone that thinks this team is going to the playoffs can give me a call and i'll sell you a nickel for 50 dollars.

Count me in for some of that action, it's ok to dream but come on. If this team makes the playoffs they will make a movie about it. It's gonna be a lot like Major League in story. Ralph isn't trying to make the team lose so he can move it but.....He is trying to squeeze every dollar out of it and field the least expensive team he can.

Ralph's philosophy is- If the team wins great. We just made a winning team out of virtual nobody's and a small smattering of NFL calibur players.

If they lose great ! who cares, we made a ton of money anyway. These fans are so afraid of us moving the team they will pay to watch anyone in a Bills uniform play football :laughter:

I think we need a new moniker for Bills fans. It's called Hostage.

Beebe's Kid
08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
It must be a bitter/sweet for all of the clairvoyants here. I mean to know what is going to happen all of the time must have it's ups and downs, right?

It has to get tiresome to be so ****ing cynical all of the time. To never even allow yourself the opportunity to say: "Hell, maybe this is our year!" regardless of how many times the Bills have "let you down," sounds like a miserable existence.

I will do what I do every year. I am going to think that we might have stolen a player here or there, I'll think that our guys are all "on the cusp," I'll say" "I think we are going to surprise some people," and on and on.

I may be disappointed by Week 8, or later, or sooner, but at least I will have been excited for bit. Actually I probably won't be let down then either, because I will be excited to see what we are going to do to improve the team etc.

I know that is Kool-Aid, or homerism, or rose-colored lenses or whatever, but that's better than sounding like a sad sack of ****, and pissing and moaning all of the time. Seriously.

As for why we might be underestimating the Dolphins...are you ****ing kidding me? Why are you overestimating them? Also...they are kind of like our rivals, and those of us that have been cheering for the Bills forever, love to hate Miami. There is also the fact that they are just not that good of a football team...and they wear ****ing teal.

What happens if this team starts making a push? Does the pride that keeps people from ever saying a positive word about their "favorite" team, force you to root for them to fail? If your scared that you might think they'll be decent and fail, what if you think they will fail and they do well? Isn't that an equally damaging blow to your pride?

Lighten up, Francis, and let's go Bills!

BillsOwnAll
08-31-2011, 11:10 PM
It must be a bitter/sweet for all of the clairvoyants here. I mean to know what is going to happen all of the time must have it's ups and downs, right?

It has to get tiresome to be so ****ing cynical all of the time. To never even allow yourself the opportunity to say: "Hell, maybe this is our year!" regardless of how many times the Bills have "let you down," sounds like a miserable existence.

I will do what I do every year. I am going to think that we might have stolen a player here or there, I'll think that our guys are all "on the cusp," I'll say" "I think we are going to surprise some people," and on and on.

I may be disappointed by Week 8, or later, or sooner, but at least I will have been excited for bit. Actually I probably won't be let down then either, because I will be excited to see what we are going to do to improve the team etc.

What happens if this team starts making a push? Does the pride that keeps people from ever saying a positive word about their "favorite" team, force you to root for them to fail? If your scared that you might think they'll be decent and fail, what if you think they will fail and they do well? Isn't that an equally damaging blow to your pride?

I gave up on telling people on this board that...i just come here for injury updates and some training camp pics and whatnot. I cant stand people who love to hear themselves piss and moan. Its like all they do is talk crap about the team and how were going to suck. Every year theres always 3 or 4 different playoff teams. the nfc has what 13 different superbowl teams the last 13 years? I just dont understand how you can "love" a team and be so pessimistic before the season starts..i mean its the nfl dolphins went 1-15 to next year playoffs....the best part about the nfl is anything is possible.

Philagape
08-31-2011, 11:16 PM
It has to get tiresome to be so ****ing cynical all of the time.

Not nearly as tiresome as a team that provokes that cynicism, and then proves it right, all of the time.

Demon
08-31-2011, 11:33 PM
Hey the best thing is we are 0-0 still and we have a chance........

Listen guys look at the 1st 2 games..

@ KC, KC has looked terrible and they will take a hit with Charlie Weiss leaving and going to Florida.....I think the Bills start 1-0...

Week 2 Oakland traveling to BUFFALO for there home opener............
The Ralph is sold out and the place will be going crazy.....
Why not????
Bills start 2-0 and momentum is a funny thing in the NFL......

OK let me put down the joint.............

And we havnt?

It's only preseason. Relax. KC will smoke us.

kelly2reed4six
09-01-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm so confident that the bills will not make the playoffs.....that if I am wrong and they do may my 8 year old get hit by a......oh wait....that one's taken.

BertSquirtgum
09-01-2011, 12:44 AM

I know that is Kool-Aid, or homerism, or rose-colored lenses or whatever, but that's better than sounding like a sad sack of ****, and pissing and moaning all of the time. Seriously.

As for why we might be underestimating the Dolphins...are you ****ing kidding me? Why are you overestimating them? Also...they are kind of like our rivals, and those of us that have been cheering for the Bills forever, love to hate Miami. There is also the fact that they are just not that good of a football team...and they wear ****ing teal.

i used to spout the same bull****. open your eyes. this team sucks and nothing will change until ralph is in a casket.

THRILLHO
09-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Every year we get picked to make the playoffs by some writer or analyst. Every year we are the "surprise team to look out for." Every year we are the "better than they appear due to potential" team. I am sick of it.

There is NO WAY we make the playoffs this year. 3rd in the division is a stretch it's self.

Billz_fan
09-01-2011, 05:45 AM

lol, I used to think like that also. That was back in the 70's and 80's. I know exactly what you feel like. Funny thing happened after that. The 90's happened and Ralph made a commitment to win it all. He got all the right front office people and they got all the right players and the rest is history.

Now the problem is, there is a big difference from what many of us saw in the 90's. We now know what it looks like when a team makes the commitment to win. We know what it looks like to see the team actively going after top players. Doing whatever it takes. Drafting a franchise QB, making the big trade that brought Biscuit here. Drafting the best defensive end ever #1. Bringing in free agents that were like puzzle pieces to finish it off. Having a GM that was doing GM work and not having the finance guys making trades.

Yes, we know what it looks like when the team is doing what it takes to win. We know what it looks like and this ain't it. :laughter:

jamze132
09-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Lets not overlook having to play in KC to open the season. It's hard to come out of KC with a win, especially on opening day.

Night Train
09-01-2011, 06:33 AM
I don't think the Bills have a shot at the playoffs but it's nice to see some long term optimism instead of being buried as a bottom 3 team.

Still have a ways to go but at least they seem to have direction for the first time in 12 years.

It's getting better, despite the efforts of the bean counters to deplete our depth.

tampabay25690
09-01-2011, 06:52 AM
And we havnt?

It's only preseason. Relax. KC will smoke us.

KC has looked real bad...
I will relax when we beat KC:nervous:

Static
09-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Yeah Beside we have a lock down on third place....GO MEDIOCRITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Extremebillsfan247
09-01-2011, 07:54 AM
He is saying they could steal a playoff birth, he isn't saying they will.

psubills62
09-01-2011, 08:16 AM
I really don't think we even have a chance of it this season.

Dozerdog
09-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Only if the Jets and Ravens lose their QBs for the season in week 1

Extremebillsfan247
09-01-2011, 08:45 AM
I really don't think we even have a chance of it this season.This time of year there is always a chance. I would say it's a very slim one though. lol

trapezeus
09-01-2011, 09:11 AM
what we know it takes to be a consistently good team

1. a front office that knows what its doing
2. drafts quality players in the draft that can help immediately
3. coach players up on both sides of the ball
4. be deep in positions to handle injuries.
5. keep your players in house.

That is what we know a successful team has. We arguably don't have any of those or just the beginning of some of those.

So if you admit that these key success items do not exist or are in their infancy on this team, the only reason they could be good is because of blind luck.

and blind luck isn't really on our side with this schedule after week 2.

but they play the games for a reason and they serve alcohol at these games for a reason too.

regardless of my pessimism, i can't wait for the season to start and to hopefully witness a miracle that lasts through the superbowl.

Mski
09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Now the problem is, there is a big difference from what many of us saw in the 90's. We now know what it looks like when a team makes the commitment to win. We know what it looks like to see the team actively going after top players. Doing whatever it takes. Drafting a franchise QB, making the big trade that brought Biscuit here. Drafting the best defensive end ever #1. Bringing in free agents that were like puzzle pieces to finish it off. Having a GM that was doing GM work and not having the finance guys making trades.

Yes, we know what it looks like when the team is doing what it takes to win. We know what it looks like and this ain't it. :laughter: there was no real free agency, or salary cap, when the team was good

justasportsfan
09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
....How?

Sweep the fins , split the jets and Pats :air:

ChristopherWalken
09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Is it possible? Sure, its possible. Seattle went to the playoffs with a losing record.

Is it likely? Rhetorical...

Billz_fan
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM
there was no real free agency, or salary cap, when the team was good

Well you can say it wasn't real but the record books say that Kenneth Davis for instance was signed by the Buffalo Bills after the 89 season as a plan B free agent. and he was one of the pick ups I had in mind. Also Kenny was here when the team was good and he was a free agent.

If you want to argue terminology go talk to the guys that write up the record books. It listed them as FA's and that's what I wrote.

Bryce Paup is also listed as a free agent signing after the 94 season.

James Lofton was picked up off the waiver wire.

Which again is my point they kept getting key people to help from all possible ways to aquire a player. These guys tell us theyu are going to do everything through the draft. Good Luck :D

Mr. Pink
09-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Well you can say it wasn't real but the record books say that Kenneth Davis for instance was signed by the Buffalo Bills after the 89 season as a plan B free agent. and he was one of the pick ups I had in mind. Also Kenny was here when the team was good and he was a free agent.

If you want to argue terminology go talk to the guys that write up the record books. It listed them as FA's and that's what I wrote.

Bryce Paup is also listed as a free agent signing after the 94 season.

James Lofton was picked up off the waiver wire.

Which again is my point they kept getting key people to help from all possible ways to aquire a player. These guys tell us theyu are going to do everything through the draft. Good Luck :D

Plan B FA was WAY different than what FA is today.

Billz_fan
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I know it's way different but they were still called Free Agents. My post was not even about the differences in Free agents. I just called them what they were listed as. Good God.

I was making a point in another post and I used the term Free agents for some of the guys picked up in the early 90's.

Why did I use that term ? It's what the record books list them as at the time.

Did I want to differentiate between the different types of free agents or try to imply that Free agents were the same back then as now ?

No I did not. I just listed them what they were recorded as in the books.

I was just using the term.

BillsFever21
09-01-2011, 06:01 PM

Just because you have realistic expectations of the team doesn't mean you still don't enjoy watching the games and get excited or pissed off with every play.

You don't need to artificially prop up the team or your expectations to still enjoy football. You just have to take the team for what it's worth.