• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Ingtar33's 2011 Bills Season Preview

It’s about that time of the year again, the new football season is about to start and for 30 or so teams the season is filled with promise and opportunity. Unfortunately our Buffalo Bills are not one of those teams. To the long suffering Buffalo Bills fans we have little to look forward to this season.
    the above was from my 2010 preview (which you can read here) and unfortunately all of that remains as true today as it was 12 months ago. Because I'm uninspired by the team, and last years post can sum up most of my feelings about this team today i'm going to plagiarize heavily from myself in this post (all in italics is plagiarized word for word from the 2010 preview).

Like previous years (I’ve probably done one of these threads every year the board has been up) I'll give you a brief breakdown of the season as we can probably expect it to unfold.

Since the ultimate goal of every football team is winning the superbowl we should expect the Bills to at least get to the playoffs or compete for them every season. Unfortunately it's been a long time since the Bills seriously made a run at the playoffs, and even longer since they were legit superbowl threats. Unfortunately this year will not break the trend, and the lone question us Bills fans should consider is how low in next year's draft will we be. We're in for a long season fellow fans, and all I can say to make it better is we might see a ray of light by the end of it.

So what do I see when I see this year's Bills team? I see a team with an alright running game, and an average at best passing game; both of which will be strangled to death by an atrocious offensive line. I see a team that has the makings of a strong defensive line, and terrible to mediocre linebackers (with the exception of Merriman), who will at times struggle generating a passrush, and a confused and disjointed secondary. This is a team which will finish probably in the bottom 10 for defense (both yards and points, assuming of course the line doesn't carry this defense) and probably in the bottom 10 for offense as well (both yards and points).

On the bright side, Dareus and Williams give us hope that the best possition for the team won't be punter again this year.

now onto the season prediction... my methodology for my season predictions have resulted in choosing a final record within 1 win of the final season record in 16 of the last 18 years (the two exceptions being 2001 and 2010). For 3 of the last 6 years my tallies have been exactly correct. (9 out of the 18 years I've picked the final record) I only pick wins based upon a confident belief we should win. Home and away are tie breakers when I'm tepid. (note I won Shelby's 2008 Bills zone season record prediction contest, and would have won her 2009 contest had the Colts not thrown the last game of the season...)

W1 @ KC - L - 0-1
    W2 vs OAK - W - 1-1
    W3 vs NE - L - 0-2
    W4 @ CIN - W - 2-2
    W5 vs PHI - L - 2-3
    W6 @ NYG - L - 2-4
    W7 BYE
    W8 vs WAS - L - 2-5
    W9 vs NYJ - L - 2-6
    W10 @ DAL - L - 2-7
    W11 @ MIA - W - 3-7
    W12 @ NYJ - L - 3-8
    W13 vs TEN - L - 3-9
    W14 @ SD - L - 3-10
    W15 vs MIA - W - 4-10
    W16 vs DEN - W - 5-10
    W17 @ NE - L - 5-11

5-11

We'll do better this year just because the schedule is filled with too many beatable teams, and we're not "Cincinnati Bengals" bad; the turning point will be the week 8 game against the Redskins. we win that game and we might threaten 7 wins. we lose it and we'll probably be scrapping 3-5 wins out of this mess... but this will be yet another lost season, in which we'll be drafting around 8th...
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 09-01-2011, 08:12 PM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Ingtar33's 2011 Bills Season Preview

I hope we're a little better than you think, but I can't say I think you're wrong.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Seems reasonable, as I guessed 6-10. I think there are a number of winnable games on there, though I don't believe we'll win all of them (@KC, vs. Wash and vs. Tenn are the ones I think we could and maybe should win).

Ingtar - did you watch the game tonight? Just curious as to your thoughts on Sheppard. I didn't watch him much specifically, and was doing other things for a good chunk of the 2nd half, but saw a few plays where he looked decent, one in pass coverage, two in run defense. Just maybe this kid can see the field this year and impress at LB, since you seem so down on them. I like to think we'll be adequate at LB considering the DL they'll have in front of them.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
        • Mar 2004

3-13 would be my guess

Thanks for the read Ingtar hears to another epic Buffalo Bills season.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
          Hall of Fame Zoner
          • Jan 2010

dude 9-7 10-6 maybe. your way off you right wing nut!!!!!

Comment

• Lone Stranger
            • Sep 2002

It's difficult to argue against your logic. 5 wins is optimistic but also possible. Another long season.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

I think the Oakland game is swing game, we could win it or lose it very easily. Will be a good barometer match up in Week 2.

I dont know if we'll sweep Miami but Ill take it, sound logic on the prediciton, I said myself this is a 3-5 win team.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER
                Please leave politics in the appropriate forum.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

where do we get 9-10 wins? Red are the games we have no chance in hell winning, Green the games i think we can win. Black the games that could go either way, though if you asked me i'd say we probably will lose.

W1 @ KC
                  W2 vs OAK
                  W3 vs NE
                  W4 @ CIN
                  W5 vs PHI
                  W6 @ NYG

W7 BYE
                  W8 vs WAS
                  W9 vs NYJ
                  W10 @ DAL

W11 @ MIA
                  W12 @ NYJ
                  W13 vs TEN
                  W14 @ SD
                  W15 vs MIA
                  W16 vs DEN
                  W17 @ NE

that's 8 losses before the season even starts. literally, if i bet on football, those are games I'd bet the house they'd lose before the season starts. I only see 4 probable wins on the schedule and 4 wildcards (though we'll likely be beat).

While teams sometimes beat teams they have no business beating those wins usually even out at the end of the season. so even if they beat say... washington they'll probably drop one to say... miami and balance it out in the end.

There just aren't 9 or 10 wins possible with our roster or our schedule.

UPDATE: we're lucky 3 of the "wildcard" games are at home, that means imho the absolute ceiling to our season is 7 wins (if we get every break this year we'll be a 7 win team), though i say a more likely ceiling is 6 wins. meanwhile i'm pretty confident 4 wins is the basement for the season. 4-12, 5-11, 6-10 ~ is where i'd put my money on the winner for the pick contest. he'll be one of the people that predicted one of those final records.
                  Last edited by Ingtar33; 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

That's fair.

Fix the D this year. Concentrate on the O next off-season. QB & OL.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

I think they'll take one from Miami and the Jets, the Bengals, and Broncos.

If we steal one of the two first games?

5-11.

If we don't?

It's the Jauron Trifecta all over, only worse:

4-12
                      Last edited by Historian; 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Good news- they wont have a losing record by my birthday

Bad news- they get hot in December and miss out on Luck

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          Good news- they wont have a losing record by my birthday

Bad news- they get hot in December and miss out on Luck
                          Id rather get hot and miss out on taking him then get the #1 pick and he returns to school.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• HAMMER
                            I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                            • Jul 2003

10-6, wildcard berth, Bills make improbable run to the Super Bowl, and lose yet again.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

I'm still thinking this team can win 6-7 games with this schedule.. We can beat KC and Dallas

Comment

Working...
                              X