PDA

View Full Version : Christie's and Dempsey's - Lions at Bills

Dr. Lecter
09-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Here is hoping that better days knows who the thread refers to....

Christie's

1. Merriman. Wow. If he can stay healthy he will be a stud. Big if I know.

2. Antonio Coleman - Very impressive. He might have played himself onto the team

3. Kelvin Sheppard - For a guy in his first extensive action he was quite impressive

4. Reggie Corner - some nice pass break-ups

5. Bruce Hall - the guy is not going to make the team, but he runs hard

6. Brian Moorman - the MVP is back in fine form!

Dempsey's

1. Reggie Corner - when not breaking them up, he was toast

2. Cordoro Howard - words can't describe how bad he was

3. The rest of the Oline reserves - My god.

4. Tyler Thigpen - but to be fair he had about .23 seconds in the pocket

better days
09-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Didn't Dempsey hold the RECORD for LONGEST Field Goal 63 yds for MANY years? He also played 11 years. You think that is a scrub?

In other news, Youboty was cut by the Bucs.

Oaf
09-01-2011, 10:14 PM
4. Tyler Thigpen - but to be fair he had about .23 seconds in the pocket

To be fair, when he 23 seconds, he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Would add Hairston, Aiken to your list there.

Dr. Lecter
09-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Didn't Dempsey hold the RECORD for LONGEST Field Goal 63 yds for MANY years? He also played 11 years. You think that is a scrub?

In other news, Youboty was cut by the Bucs.

He missed a 23 yard field goal on the last play of a game in 1979 that the Bills lost to Miami 9-7.

**** him. He was scrub when he was with the Bills.

psubills62
09-01-2011, 10:26 PM
I didn't get to see the first team (i.e. Merriman), but generally agree with this list. Sheppard was pretty decent, I liked his ability to wade through traffic on the one play and stop the runner for no gain. Didn't especially notice Coleman, but did hear his name after I missed a play. Hall looked very good, and I think White would do well with a halfway decent OL.

The backup OL was pretty bad. Hairston wasn't awful, but did allow a sack - somewhat inconsistent from the little I saw of him.

BuffaloBlitz83
09-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Spiller had two nice runs on his only carries!

Bmax
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Mansfield Wrotto...Played like a school girl tonight .. Perhaps a name change is needed....

Meathead
09-01-2011, 11:44 PM
dempsey was a cripple and cripples cant be made fun of, cripplecist

YardRat
09-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Tommie No-Toes!!!

X-Era
09-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Here is hoping that better days knows who the thread refers to....

Christie's

1. Merriman. Wow. If he can stay healthy he will be a stud. Big if I know.

2. Antonio Coleman - Very impressive. He might have played himself onto the team

3. Kelvin Sheppard - For a guy in his first extensive action he was quite impressive

4. Reggie Corner - some nice pass break-ups

5. Bruce Hall - the guy is not going to make the team, but he runs hard

6. Brian Moorman - the MVP is back in fine form!

Dempsey's

1. Reggie Corner - when not breaking them up, he was toast

2. Cordoro Howard - words can't describe how bad he was

3. The rest of the Oline reserves - My god.

4. Tyler Thigpen - but to be fair he had about .23 seconds in the pocket IMO, here is some adds/changes

Christie's

Hairston- Did a great job for the most part, playing almost the whole game at LT. He did have one play where he missed his man.

Justin Rogers- Had a few decent plays

Bruce Hall- Looked quick and found room to work

CJ Spiller- Nice looking runs for extra yards in limited time

Kamar Aiken- Made a few impressive plays. Looks tough.

Dempsey's

Kelvin Sheppard- He made maybe one or two plays alone. I continue to see him pile jump or be out of to many plays. For the most part he is either a non-factor or just a late contributor... For a guy we needed to supposedly start.

DaNorris Searcy- Has done nothing at all in preseason.

Nick Barnett- Again is way too quiet and isn't making many plays at all.

All the WR's not named Aiken- Even Stevie had some drops. No one else could do anything of note

All the OL reserves not named Hairston

Now, someone remind me why Leonard Davis isn't better than Colin Brown or Cordaro Howard. Or why Flozell Adams isn't better than Mansfield Wrotto.

zone
09-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Merriman looks unreal, but he plays like Bob Sanders did with Indy and I don't think he can stay healthy playing like that every play but wow is he good. He literally Supermaned the RB after chasing him down from the backside of a play.

I agree Sheppard looked instinctual and fast to ball.

Aiken looked really good, he was the best receiver on the field last night.

Thigpen was awful and I actually liked what I saw from Brown. I wish he would have gotten more PT this pre-season.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Now, someone remind me why Leonard Davis isn't better than Colin Brown or Cordaro Howard. Or why Flozell Adams isn't better than Mansfield Wrotto.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ickybaluky
09-02-2011, 07:07 AM

I think a lot of older vets like that will have to wait until after week 1 to find a job, when their salary for the season is not guaranteed. With guys who have been cut there is a question of whether they can still play, and teams don't want to guarantee their full salary for the season.

DraftBoy
09-02-2011, 07:13 AM
I didnt watch any of the game last night, too busy with CFB. I did follow the tweets though and I heard our first team OL played surprisingly well, but the backups were horrible.

The CBS rapid reports guy blasted Hairston saying he could be a decent RT, but in no way is a LT. Lines up with my report on him. Potential RT but not LT. Sounds like some people thought he was better than that.

Saw Easley and Stevie both had drops, not sure how catchable the passes were. That **** has to stop though.

Merriman again looked beastly which is good.

Thigpen blows

And other than that it was just a fourth preseason game.

X-Era
09-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I didnt watch any of the game last night, too busy with CFB. I did follow the tweets though and I heard our first team OL played surprisingly well, but the backups were horrible.

The CBS rapid reports guy blasted Hairston saying he could be a decent RT, but in no way is a LT. Lines up with my report on him. Potential RT but not LT. Sounds like some people thought he was better than that.

Saw Easley and Stevie both had drops, not sure how catchable the passes were. That **** has to stop though.

Merriman again looked beastly which is good.

Thigpen blows

And other than that it was just a fourth preseason game.Personally, I think Hairston has quicker feet than he gets credit for. But, I do not think he could ever be a starting LT at this point. Gailey blew that up a bit by talking about him playing that spot in college and then playing him so much at LT in this past game. Could he swing to that spot as a backup? Maybe. He isn't as stone footed as some. But, what I do think, is that he could easily be pushing for the starting RT role before the season ends.

DraftBoy
09-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Personally, I think Hairston has quicker feet than he gets credit for. But, I do not think he could ever be a starting LT at this point. Gailey blew that up a bit by talking about him playing that spot in college and then playing him so much at LT in this past game. Could he swing to that spot as a backup? Maybe. He isn't as stone footed as some. But, what I do think, is that he could easily be pushing for the starting RT role before the season ends.

Didnt see last night so I cant comment on it, some liked him some didnt. All I know is that in Clemson his feet were heavy and his slide was slow. Maybe he's gotten better, have seen enough this year to determine that.

ddaryl
09-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Sheppard looked good IMO.. Especially for a players 1st action working with a group of guys soon to be cut... He will be a solid MLB in time.

Spiller is looking a little more like the RB we hoped he would be.

Wrotto was horrible... I need to go back and watch more of the 2nd/3rd string OL and look at who else was horrible but Wrotto was the very definition of turnstyle...

Brown over Thigpen ....

Easley needs to focus.. He is loose with the ball.

this was off the top of my head.. I fast forwarded thru the game last night in 45 minutes and these were things that did stand out for me.

Starting OL again was solid.. Not great but no where's near the panic so many of us had after the 2nd preseason game. There are a couple of backups that need to be upgraded..... Hairston has potential... Rinehart also

Our OL is not that bad after we cut some dead weight. Some young guys that hopefully develop and starters who are playing well.

Urbik, Kraig (http://www.nfl.com/player/kraigurbik/71495/profile)
Rinehart, Chad (http://www.nfl.com/player/chadrinehart/300/profile)
Bell, Demetrius (http://www.nfl.com/player/demetriusbell/804/profile)
Hairston, Chris (http://www.nfl.com/player/chrishairston/2495157/profile)
Pears, Erik (http://www.nfl.com/player/erikpears/2506156/profile)
Levitre, Andy (http://www.nfl.com/player/andylevitre/71363/profile)
Wood, Eric (http://www.nfl.com/player/ericwood/71523/profile)
Hangartner, Geoff (http://www.nfl.com/player/geoffhangartner/2506504/profile)

that's 8.... after that... A solid vet would be nice...

better days
09-02-2011, 07:51 AM
He missed a 23 yard field goal on the last play of a game in 1979 that the Bills lost to Miami 9-7.

**** him. He was scrub when he was with the Bills.

I think someone like Booth Lusteg would have been more appropriate for scrub than a guy that not only played 11 years but still holds the record for longest Fiel goal from 63 yds since 1970.

Historian
09-02-2011, 08:07 AM
dempsey was a cripple and cripples cant be made fun of, cripplecist

We make fun of you...

mayotm
09-02-2011, 08:15 AM
IMO, here is some adds/changes

Christie's

Hairston- Did a great job for the most part, playing almost the whole game at LT. He did have one play where he missed his man.

Justin Rogers- Had a few decent plays

Bruce Hall- Looked quick and found room to work

CJ Spiller- Nice looking runs for extra yards in limited time

Kamar Aiken- Made a few impressive plays. Looks tough.

Dempsey's

Kelvin Sheppard- He made maybe one or two plays alone. I continue to see him pile jump or be out of to many plays. For the most part he is either a non-factor or just a late contributor... For a guy we needed to supposedly start.

DaNorris Searcy- Has done nothing at all in preseason.

Nick Barnett- Again is way too quiet and isn't making many plays at all.

All the WR's not named Aiken- Even Stevie had some drops. No one else could do anything of note

All the OL reserves not named Hairston

Now, someone remind me why Leonard Davis isn't better than Colin Brown or Cordaro Howard. Or why Flozell Adams isn't better than Mansfield Wrotto.I completely disagree about Sheppard.

psubills62
09-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Didnt see last night so I cant comment on it, some liked him some didnt. All I know is that in Clemson his feet were heavy and his slide was slow. Maybe he's gotten better, have seen enough this year to determine that.
I'll admit, I didn't watch his feet specifically. But I do know that cookie commented on his feet when he played against Jacksonville...talked about how he moved them well and was constantly moving them.

There was at least one play where that didn't carry over against Detroit (let a guy blow by him for a sack), but there were other times I saw Hairston did a good job not getting pushed back into the QB. I have to say, Hairston looked a little better when Levi Brown was in - Thigpen was horrible at feeling pressure, absolutely piss-poor. Brown actually stepped up in the pocket and did a decent job.

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 08:47 AM
We make fun of you...
meathead's mentally crippled though.

psubills62
09-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Dempsey's

I'll readily admit I didn't watch the entire game (especially starters and part of second half), but the few times I saw Sheppard, I saw the exact opposite of this. One play he was OK in coverage - a good TE probably would have beaten him and caught the ball, but Sheppard did a good job knocking it out. Another play, he did a great job of wading through traffic to meet the RB at the hole and tackle his legs for no gain. The other one, I think the RB got a 4 yard gain, but again he waded through traffic to get there. I liked the little I saw of him. Didn't notice any pile-jumping, but like I said I missed a number of plays in the 2nd half.

DraftBoy
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I'll admit, I didn't watch his feet specifically. But I do know that cookie commented on his feet when he played against Jacksonville...talked about how he moved them well and was constantly moving them.

There was at least one play where that didn't carry over against Detroit (let a guy blow by him for a sack), but there were other times I saw Hairston did a good job not getting pushed back into the QB. I have to say, Hairston looked a little better when Levi Brown was in - Thigpen was horrible at feeling pressure, absolutely piss-poor. Brown actually stepped up in the pocket and did a decent job.

Hairston is strong as hell, he's just not fluid enough to play on the left side. Ill be watching closely come Week 1.

Dozerdog
09-02-2011, 11:21 AM

**** him. He was scrub when he was with the Bills.He missed it by 1/2 a foot

Johnny Bugmenot
09-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Christies:
- Merriman, obviously.

Jake Arianses:
- Anyone lower than starter on the depth chart. This team is about as deep as a crêpe suzette.

I'm giving Dempsey a pass. The guy spent his entire career wearing a shoe that accommodated his foot. Then all of a sudden eight years into his pro career (and right before he signed with the Bills) they make him switch to a regular shoe. It's no wonder he didn't work out.

X-Era
09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Didnt see last night so I cant comment on it, some liked him some didnt. All I know is that in Clemson his feet were heavy and his slide was slow. Maybe he's gotten better, have seen enough this year to determine that.He used the kick slide much more last night than Bell probably ever has... several times he was able to push the rusher deep and beyond the QB... I liked what I saw overall (outside of the one mental error)... But, I agree, I would not make him a starter at LT.

X-Era
09-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I'll readily admit I didn't watch the entire game (especially starters and part of second half), but the few times I saw Sheppard, I saw the exact opposite of this. One play he was OK in coverage - a good TE probably would have beaten him and caught the ball, but Sheppard did a good job knocking it out. Another play, he did a great job of wading through traffic to meet the RB at the hole and tackle his legs for no gain. The other one, I think the RB got a 4 yard gain, but again he waded through traffic to get there. I liked the little I saw of him. Didn't notice any pile-jumping, but like I said I missed a number of plays in the 2nd half.I may be asking for too much this early. But, as a guy who think we need an upgrade to Davis at the other ILB starter (provided Barnett/Morrison adequately fills the other spot), I want to see a hole stuffing play maker who is nasty and making tackles all over the field. I don't need elite speed or athleticism. But I do want toughness and a guy who plays with his hair on fire... a lunch pail type. Instead Shepp leaves me feeling like he's just out there... like he could lead the team in assists but never in solo tackles... If that's the case, I'd like more than that.

YardRat
09-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Hairston is strong as hell, he's just not fluid enough to play on the left side. Ill be watching closely come Week 1.

I disagree...I think he has LT written all over him.