PDA

View Full Version : lettuce discuss week 1

gochiefs
09-02-2011, 12:41 AM
I am going to keep the smack talk to a minimum in this thread.

Instead, I will focus on the Bills and what they can do to beat the Chiefs.

From what I'm reading Merriman is coming around for you guys. We have a big issue at RT. I'm not even sure who's going to start next week. Possibly Barry Richardson, who can't handle speed. Possibly Jared Gaither, who is injury prone and could break at any second.

Merriman is a worry right now.

I know you guys have the worst OTs in football (sorry :laughing:) so you're going to try and establish the run. As bad as the Chiefs' run defense was against St. Louis, that scares me, especially with your solid RB tandem.

Slightly concerned about Dareus, because both of our guard spots have "issues" right now. Ryan Lilja has some phantom injury. Jon Asamoah (who actually started against Buffalo last year at LG) is our new RG and just in his 2nd year.

Flame away. Lettuce make this an exchange of knowledge, with a minimum of smack talk.

Buffalogic
09-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Chiefs are going to have a hard time moving the ball. Lots of run d will be played to force Cassel to throw to that suspect receiving core. If we can keep Jamaal Charles from cranking big runs we have a good shot to win. I'm expecting a lot of sacks in the game. Might come down to the kickers.

ServoBillieves
09-02-2011, 06:08 AM
I was ready to flame when I saw "from what I am reading" with "How can you discuss a team you haven't watched?" BUT you saved yourself with the exchange knowledge part at the end.

To be honest, I usually pull for the Chiefs when they aren't facing the Bills (Was a Priest Holmes fan back in the day) but this year haven't heard anything about them. I know that Cassel is a solid QB, I know that Charles is supposed to be a major home run hitter if last year proved anything, and that Dwayne Bowe and Leonard Pope are in the arsenal as well as a sophomore TE.. Past that and that fact that Vrabel retired I'm stumped on what ya'll got.

zone
09-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Tomatoes and carrots.

mrbojanglezs
09-02-2011, 06:39 AM
unlike last year, our D is going to dominate your running game, forcing to cassel to throw it.... You guys ran what 250 yards on us last year and you only won by 3 in OT, be a comlplete different game this year

You guys lost Weiss that is going to kill your offense, it will be slow to get rolling.

Bills Win 27 17

Mindbender
09-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Sounds like both our offensive lines have major question marks. Is that a fair statement?

trapezeus
09-02-2011, 08:24 AM
i know little about the chiefs, but if i was a HC of a random team playing the bills, i think i'd use my quarterback and WR to open the field up on timing patterns and slants and screens. spread the bills defense out a little and see if you can double team k. williams and dareus and keep the linebackers in coverage.

defensively i'd stack the box and blitz from all angles because fitzpatrick is ok, but he isn't always accurate without a little time. so leave the untested wideouts one on one and get people in fitz's face and stop the run early. gailey bails on the run if it doesn't work on the first two series.

at that point you can kind of layback and let fitz throw when in play catchup. he takes more chances and lets you get a chance at picking him off.

that's how you beat the bills. just not sure if that will happen.

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 08:30 AM

wheres the fun in that?

gochiefs
09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
unlike last year, our D is going to dominate your running game

Why?

Dareus?

I don't see that you guys brought in any other difference makers.

gochiefs
09-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Sounds like both our offensive lines have major question marks. Is that a fair statement?

The Chiefs have issues at OT but they are not as bad as the Bills' issues.

Our issues are along the line of "can this guy ever make a Pro Bowl or is he just average?"

We are not trying to move our LG to LT or anything like that.

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Why?

Dareus?

we have lbers whose names we can spell now unlike Pos...Poz....

RoscoeMagic
09-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Why?

Dareus?

Well Merriman, Barnett, Morrison, Sheppard for one.

A vastly improved Troup and Carrington, both look ready for step in.

No more Donte Whitner.

The D, front 7 especially, is very much improved. Reminds me of the Chiefs from '09 to '10 to be honest. We were young last year as well, another year in the system, Dave Wannstedt as the LB coach and assistant HC...all they have to do is stay healthy and can be a 15-20 defense would be a fair assessment.

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
No more Donte Whitner.

actually Donte was good vs the run

gochiefs
09-02-2011, 08:54 AM
OK. I only saw one of your games....but was your run defense improved?

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 08:57 AM

seems like it. Our problem seems to be in the backfield. We're getting torched.

psubills62
09-02-2011, 09:00 AM
In general, it was much improved for the starters. IIRC, I don't think there was a single starting run game that had over 4 YPC against us.

Out of curiosity, who replaced Brian Waters for you guys?

gochiefs
09-02-2011, 09:02 AM
In general, it was much improved for the starters. IIRC, I don't think there was a single starting run game that had over 4 YPC against us.

Out of curiosity, who replaced Brian Waters for you guys?

We moved Ryan Lilja back to LG and Jon Asamoah is the starting RG now. He has had a good preseason.

Pinkerton Security
09-02-2011, 09:03 AM
We certainly arent going to dominate their run game, Jamaal Charles is a straight stud and can take it to the house from anywhere...Our run D is much better than it was but i have no idea HOW much better.

I like the Chiefs and the way they play but I think they won a lot of close games last year against sub par teams...I think we could take them down but they are the better team.

RoscoeMagic
09-02-2011, 09:11 AM
actually Donte was good vs the run

Right. He could tackle for a safety, sure. But he didn't help the run D. Our front 7 was so porous and he can't cover for trash, that's why he was always up. Also why he always got burned by TEs.

BillsWin
09-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I think the Bills take this one in a close game with a lot of rush yards for both teams.

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Right. He could tackle for a safety, sure. But he didn't help the run D. Our front 7 was so porous and he can't cover for trash, that's why he was always up. Also why he always got burned by TEs.

I agree. He was a liability vs. the pass but since we were talking about the run, he was ok.

mrbojanglezs
09-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Why?

Dareus?

Year of experience under our D Dareus paired with Williams is a force. Merriman
Will be a huge playmaker for us both in run game and pass rush. Barnett us an upgrade over poz. our young players look bigger and better. Our D will make HUGE strides this year

PromoTheRobot
09-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Front 7 is the Bills major improvement on D, though the DBs have not looked good in preseason. Brad Smith and the Wildcat is the big difference on offense. You could point to the loss of Evans but I really don't see it as a big deal because of the O-line. Fitz will rarely have time to go long anyway. Red zone efficiency could improve if WR Marcus Easly can keep doing what he did in preseason. A low scoring game seems likely.

PTR

better days
09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I was ready to flame when I saw "from what I am reading" with "How can you discuss a team you haven't watched?" BUT you saved yourself with the exchange knowledge part at the end.

To be honest, I usually pull for the Chiefs when they aren't facing the Bills (Was a Priest Holmes fan back in the day) but this year haven't heard anything about them. I know that Cassel is a solid QB, I know that Charles is supposed to be a major home run hitter if last year proved anything, and that Dwayne Bowe and Leonard Pope are in the arsenal as well as a sophomore TE.. Past that and that fact that Vrabel retired I'm stumped on what ya'll got.

I can tell you what the Chiefs don't have & that is Charlie Weis as OC.

Extremebillsfan247
09-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Instead, I will focus on the Bills and what they can do to beat the Chiefs.

From what I'm reading Merriman is coming around for you guys. We have a big issue at RT. I'm not even sure who's going to start next week. Possibly Barry Richardson, who can't handle speed. Possibly Jared Gaither, who is injury prone and could break at any second.

Merriman is a worry right now.

I know you guys have the worst OTs in football (sorry :laughing:) so you're going to try and establish the run. As bad as the Chiefs' run defense was against St. Louis, that scares me, especially with your solid RB tandem.

Slightly concerned about Dareus, because both of our guard spots have "issues" right now. Ryan Lilja has some phantom injury. Jon Asamoah (who actually started against Buffalo last year at LG) is our new RG and just in his 2nd year.

Flame away. Lettuce make this an exchange of knowledge, with a minimum of smack talk. When the Chiefs start bringing pressure, you can expect Fitzpatrick to speed up his snap counts, and get rid of the ball quickly on screens and slants. If he catches fire early, the Chiefs could be in trouble. When he catches a good throwing rhythm, he can be incredibly accurate. Chiefs will have to put constant pressure on him to throw him off of his game. Pray that the Chiefs don't put a LB one on one against Fred Jackson in the passing game, see our preseason game vs Jacksonville. On 3rd and short, you can expect to see wildcat with Brad Smith at QB. If he is in at QB he's running the football. But he's not easy to tackle. Just things you can expect to see from our offense.

On defense, we probably won't bring a lot of exotic blitzes at you. Gailey is really going to depend on that Dline to hold its ground to free up the LBs. Cassel is going to have to try and exploit our secondary which isn't as good as it was a couple of years ago. If he holds on to the ball too long, it will cause him some problems. Our first team defense piled up a lot of sacks during the preseason. Almost all of them came from the Dline and LB's beating the man in front of them. Dareus, K. Williams, and Merriman are going to be tough to handle. J. Charles having a 100 yard performance on the ground won't be impossible, but wont be an easy task against this defense.

Overall, I'm expecting this to be a low scoring game. KC has an advantage playing in front of its home crowd, but it will no doubt be a tough victory for them, and could even end up in a loss if they don't protect their QB. Turnovers, and penalties will probably be the determining factors in this one. JMO

BertSquirtgum
09-02-2011, 11:50 AM
You guys lost Weiss that is going to kill your offense, it will be slow to get rolling.

yeah but they have Bill Muir. I think that's an even trade. :laughing:

EDS
09-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Chiefs are going to have a hard time moving the ball. Lots of run d will be played to force Cassel to throw to that suspect receiving core. If we can keep Jamaal Charles from cranking big runs we have a good shot to win. I'm expecting a lot of sacks in the game. Might come down to the kickers.

How do the chiefs have a suspect receiver corps with Bowe, Breaston and Moeaki?

Pinkerton Security
09-02-2011, 11:57 AM

and a very solid rook in Baldwin. They have some legit weapons.

EDS
09-02-2011, 12:06 PM

If the chief's receiver corps is suspect what does that make the Bills' receiver corps?

ddaryl
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
The Chiefs have issues at OT but they are not as bad as the Bills' issues.

Our issues are along the line of "can this guy ever make a Pro Bowl or is he just average?"

We are not trying to move our LG to LT or anything like that.
You are going to have a different opinion after the game.. Our OL is not that bad... depth is the issue

Ickybaluky
09-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Breaston has had trouble with his right knee since 2009 and is no longer the same player he was in Arizona. I don't even think he starts for them, they use Jerheme Urban opposite Bowe.

Moeaki is coming off knee surgery this offseason. He hurt his knee again the other day, although I don't know if it is the same knee. He is a tease player in that he is injured a lot. Even at Iowa he was hurt all the time. He has the makings of a good player, but he has serious durability concerns which make one wonder if he will ever develop.

Bowe is a real threat, but he also has the maturity level of a 8th grader. He is dominant at times, but tends to play better against poor teams. I don't know if he is a true #1, although he is a big, talented guy. He is in a contract year, but KC has to be careful re-signing him because I could see him checking out once he gets his money.

EDS
09-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Breaston has had trouble with his right knee since 2009 and is no longer the same player he was in Arizona. I don't even think he starts for them, they use Jerheme Urban opposite Bowe.

Moeaki is coming off knee surgery this offseason. He hurt his knee again the other day, although I don't know if it is the same knee. He is a tease player in that he is injured a lot. Even at Iowa he was hurt all the time. He has the makings of a good player, but he has serious durability concerns which make one wonder if he will ever develop.

Bowe is a real threat, but he also has the maturity level of a 8th grader. He is dominant at times, but tends to play better against poor teams. I don't know if he is a true #1, although he is a big, talented guy. He is in a contract year, but KC has to be careful re-signing him because I could see him checking out once he gets his money.

Assuming all that to be true, Breaston still had over 700 receiving yards last season and in four seasons Bowe has twice exceeded 1,000 yards, and narrowly missed a third (995 yards as a rookie). Bowe is way better and more proven then anything the Bills have. Plus they have Jamaal Charles.

TigerJ
09-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I think the defensive approach most teams have used against the Bills for several years has been to stack the box against the run and bring pressure on the QB as our QB's have proven unable to handle pressure, and the line has been a weakness. That hasn't changed much under the Gailey/Nix regime. The interior of the offensive line is better than it was, but the tackles are still weak. In preseason Pears was at least adequate most of the time, but Bell struggled. Fitzpatrick is the best QB we've had in a while, but that's not saying a great deal. Sometimes he makes good decisions and gets rid of the ball quickly, but he'll also make an occasional bad decision or inaccurate throw.

When Buffalo is on defense, Dareus will have a major impact on line play. I think between Dareus and Williams, teams are going to have trouble running inside on Buffalo. I'm a little concerned about defending against runners who have a lot of speed and run outside. Kelsay does not have a lot of speed, and when he's resting, Carrington, while he is an extraordinary athlete for a 300 pounder, isn't going to have the foot speed to beat running backs to the corner. With Merriman and Dareus, Buffalo will get a lot more pressure on the QB than they did last season. They at least start the season at full strength in ther defensive backfield, so they shouldn't be as porous as a year ago.

I admit I don't know a lot about the Chiefs, except that Tood Haley likes ball control and emphasizes the running game. They have a game breaking RB in Jamaal Charles, and Cassell is a competent game managing type of QB rather than a gun slinger. I think the keys for Buffalo will be to control the outside running of Jamaal Charles and getting pressure on Cassell when playing defense. When the Bills are on offense, Fitzpatrick will have to deal with the stadium noise of course. Other than that, they need to get adequate play from their tackles, and Fitz needs to make good decisions.

gochiefs
09-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Bowe is a real threat, but he also has the maturity level of a 8th grader.

That was the old Bowe.

We haven't seen him in over a year.

psubills62
09-02-2011, 12:41 PM
You mean the diva who broke his hand in a fight with Thomas Jones? Yeah, I'll bet he'll be a real threat against us. Many reports were that he was a disappointment even before getting injured.

And the most recent note on Breaston from rotoworld.com:

Steve Breaston had "some offseason work done" on his right knee and has been limited in Chiefs training camp.

It sounds like Breaston had surgery, which wouldn't be surprising considering the right knee has troubled him since the 2009 season. Breaston hasn't made much noise in Chiefs camp, and the team isn't even projecting him as a starter after signing Breaston to a five-year, $25 million head-scratcher in the offseason. He's not worth even a late-round flier in fantasy drafts

Emphasis added.

YardRat
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM

Mike Garrett and Ed Podolak were the Chiefs RB's "back in the day".

Just sayin'...:D

better days
09-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Mike Garrett and Ed Podolak were the Chiefs RB's "back in the day".

Just sayin'...:D

Podolak would have been loved in Buffalo if he were a Bill. He was a pretty good RB as well.

wmoz11
09-03-2011, 12:59 PM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2011/9/3/2402638/tony-moeaki-injury-kansas-city-chiefs

Looks like Moeaki may be going on IR. Would be huge if he's out week 1.

gochiefs
09-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Tony Moeaki is on IR so that's one less threat for you guys to defend.

gochiefs
09-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Apparently he may be OK now...

better days
09-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Apparently he may be OK now...

What does that mean? Was he placed on IR? If so, I think he can't play until week 7

Ickybaluky
09-03-2011, 02:44 PM
What does that mean? Was he placed on IR? If so, I think he can't play until week 7

He means the report has not been confirmed and may not be true.

If he were to be placed on IR he would be out for the year. The PUP or NFI keeps a player out for 6 weeks, but any player who has practiced this year is not eligible, thus it is not an option.

Turf
09-03-2011, 03:52 PM
For the sake of your generation and humanity, please say you didn't really mean to spell lettuce.

better days
09-03-2011, 04:02 PM
He means the report has not been confirmed and may not be true.

If he were to be placed on IR he would be out for the year. The PUP or NFI keeps a player out for 6 weeks, but any player who has practiced this year is not eligible, thus it is not an option.

OK so if a player is injured, he can't go on IR until week one if the team expacts he can play sometime during the season correct?

wmoz11
09-03-2011, 04:06 PM
OK so if a player is injured, he can't go on IR until week one if the team expacts he can play sometime during the season correct?

You can't go on IR anytime and play during the season. The team puts you on PUP if you're expected to be back by week 7 or they're willing to use a roster spot on you for later.

The Steelers once kept Rod Woodson off of IR even though he tore an ACL just because he was so good and if they got him back for the Super Bowl (if they made it) it would be worth it.

They did and he played.

wmoz11
09-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Moeaki officially put on IR according to Adam Caplan.

better days
09-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Well, the Chiefs loss is the Gators GAIN. The Gator offense went from terrible last year to fantastic this year. I know just the 1st game against Florida Atlantic but Brantley looked undraftable last year, last night he looked like a 1st rnd pick.

Thanks Haley for Weis.

Mr. Pink
09-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Dexter McCluster is a player to watch this year.

The Chiefs have speed all over the place.

McCluster vs McGee is not a winning matchup on our side of things.

gochiefs
09-04-2011, 04:46 PM
greaaaaaaaaat

getnickwrightnick wright

SCOOP - Matt Cassel suffered a cracked rib in the #Chiefs final preseason game. Status for week 1 is not yet determined.

getnickwrightnick wright
#Chiefs expect to determine if Cassel can play Week 1 as soon as after tomorrow's practice...

mrbojanglezs
09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
who is your backup qb im too lazy to google it

YardRat
09-04-2011, 04:50 PM
greaaaaaaaaat

getnickwrightnick wright

SCOOP - Matt Cassel suffered a cracked rib in the #Chiefs final preseason game. Status for week 1 is not yet determined.

getnickwrightnick wright
#Chiefs expect to determine if Cassel can play Week 1 as soon as after tomorrow's practice...

That's going to really hurt when Dareus drops all of his 340 lbs on his ass.

gochiefs
09-04-2011, 04:51 PM
That's going to really hurt when Dareus drops all of his 340 lbs on his ass.

I honestly don't think Dareus is doing much of anything in this game against our veteran OL.

Rookie DL take time.

YardRat
09-04-2011, 04:52 PM
who is your backup qb im too lazy to google it

Stanzi.

mrbojanglezs
09-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Stanzi.

championship :air:

mrbojanglezs
09-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I honestly don't think Dareus is doing much of anything in this game against our veteran OL.

Rookie DL take time.

ya but he will occupy 2 of your veteran OLs along with Kyle williams occupying 2 giving Merriman a chance to reek havoc every play

gochiefs
09-04-2011, 04:58 PM
ya but he will occupy 2 of your veteran OLs along with Kyle williams occupying 2 giving Merriman a chance to reek havoc every play

I honestly don't think he will.

He'll be single blocked.

As good as Kyle is we ran all over his butt last year so I'm really not anticipating problems with your defensive line. The linebackers, maybe...

kingJofNYC
09-04-2011, 05:05 PM

Rookie DL take time.

Nah, only scrubs like Jackson take time.

Dr. Lecter
09-04-2011, 05:05 PM
I honestly don't think he will.

He'll be single blocked.

As good as Kyle is we ran all over his butt last year so I'm really not anticipating problems with your defensive line. The linebackers, maybe...
They might neutralize Williams, but they will not single block him. No other team does.

kingJofNYC
09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
They might neutralize Williams, but they will not single block him. No other team does.

He's not worried about our DL, but our LBs. Only way our LBs get freed up is if our DL starts doing work.

gochiefs
09-04-2011, 05:09 PM

Didn't say they would.

I said I didn't think Dareus would require a double team.

To be quite honest....I'm not sure the Bills aren't playing him out of position.

Also, the Chiefs are best running to their left, so they'll be running away from Dareus.

mrbojanglezs
09-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Didn't say they would.

To be quite honest....I'm not sure the Bills aren't playing him out of position.

Also, the Chiefs are best running to their left, so they'll be running away from Dareus.

I think your in for a surprise. Dareus will live up to his hype unlike Tyson.

gochiefs
09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
In his first pro game ever? C'mon, man. No one is that good.

mrbojanglezs
09-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Not saying he is gonna get tons of sacks all I am saying is that both kyle Williams and dareus will require double teams. If you don't agree well just see a week from now

cpearl
09-04-2011, 05:45 PM
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2011/9/4/2404872/kansas-city-chiefs-matt-cassel-reportedly-suffers-cracked-rib

Is this true? If so, let's hope Dareus or Merriman can make it worse.

gochiefs
09-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Not saying he is gonna get tons of sacks all I am saying is that both kyle Williams and dareus will require double teams. If you don't agree well just see a week from now

I've literally never heard of a rookie DL requiring a double team in his first game.

You guys are putting way too much pressure on Dareus early. He is gonna have his ups and downs this year and will probably get his butt whipped from time to time.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I've literally never heard of a rookie DL requiring a double team in his first game.

You guys are putting way too much pressure on Dareus early. He is gonna have his ups and downs this year and will probably get his butt whipped from time to time.

dream on dude.... your qb is getting fd up by dareus and merriman. its going to be a long day 4 u!

trapezeus
09-04-2011, 07:23 PM

true, but he'll have some big games against some weak teams. hence why we are pretty confident he'll do well against the chiefs.

kishoph
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Didn't say they would.

I hope that this is the way the Chiefs coaching staff is thinking also.

zone
09-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Really never heard of a rookie DL needing a double team, there are countless but how about Suh? Dareus will need a double team.

PromoTheRobot
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Do yourself a favor and do a YouTube search of Dareus and Merriman vs the Bears' starters a few weeks back. Then get back to us.

By the way, what is the best Chiefs chat forum? I've tried to Google them and they all look pretty dead.

PTR

bills4ver
09-04-2011, 11:21 PM

Yeah, these guys are right Dareus has been un-stoppable in pre-season. He is getting double teamed and always pushing his guys back. Reminds me a lot like Suh his first year.

I wanted us to draft him, but he's already playing way better than I ever thought he would and its just pre-season. I think it helps because Kyle Williams is a play maker, he is not huge but strong and pushes himself into the pocket now with Dareus next to him its just caving in the O-Line.

We will see tho, and a whole game is a different story since pre-season is limited.

TigerJ
09-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Marcell Dareus is so slow that Kansas City could leave him unblocked and he'd never get to the QB before the ball was long gone. Do you suppose you could get this vital information into the hands of the KC coaching staff, gochiefs? And while you tell them that, you might also tell them that Shawn Merriman is a broken man who may never get another sack, The Chiefs might better double team Chris Kelsay who is the real sackmeister for the Bills.

alohabillsfan
09-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm gonna dicuss the original topic!

Week 1 Lettuce is very good and should be enjoyed as a part of a healthy diet.
Week 2 Lettuce is still good and can still be enjoyed mainly in salads.
Week 3 Lettuce begins to brown and should only bejoyed by the in laws.
Week 4 lettuce is spoiling and should only be fed to Chief fans!