PDA

View Full Version : Apparently Terrence McGee got cut??

RoscoeMagic
09-02-2011, 12:39 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/nfldraftscout/status/109677031767277569

"Surprising cut: #Bills (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Bills) let go veteran CB Terrence McGee. He'll get a lot of looks."

Is this legit? Poor move, we couldn't have moved him for a 5th or 6th at the least?

RoscoeMagic
09-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Would rather keep him though, we're now 1 Florence or McKelvin injury from starting a rookie and Corner back in the nickel, and I now assume this means Rogers makes the roster. I hope this report is inaccurate.

methos4ever
09-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Wouldn't trust that til someone local reports it. Can only lead to Moran symplex A.

YardRat
09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
GAAAH!!!! IT'S ANOTHER SALARY DUMP FROM THE CHEAP OLD BASTARD!!!!!

/Op

ddaryl
09-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I don' think this is factual..... It was a locked thread at the official forums..

OpIv37
09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
GAAAH!!!! IT'S ANOTHER SALARY DUMP FROM THE CHEAP OLD BASTARD!!!!!

/Op

Yes, if it's true that's exactly what it would be.

But I'm not going to react to this until we have some evidence beyond just some jackass on Twitter.

Demon
09-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Im shocked Pat Moran isn't here yet saying "sources tell me it's true" and hoping it becomes true, then he'll claim he nailed McGee cut news....

Michael82
09-02-2011, 01:05 PM
I should have have posted it here yesterday. I told Danny and Phil at the tailgate and at the game that my surprise cut was Terrence McGee. Looks like I may be right. I think it's because there's no way that our 2nd round pick is going to be the #4 CB and McGee gets paid too much to be #4.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't surprise me... and McGee's usefulness has been on the decline for a while. I won't sweat it too much if it actually happens.

psubills62
09-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I should have have posted it here yesterday. I told Danny and Phil at the tailgate and at the game that my surprise cut was Terrence McGee. Looks like I may be right. I think it's because there's no way that our 2nd round pick is going to be the #4 CB and McGee gets paid too much to be #4.
Note this is completely unconfirmed.

Ickybaluky
09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
McGee only makes $3.2M, that isn't much for a starting or nickel CB. It would seem odd they cut the guy when he is finally healthy.

bf1
09-02-2011, 01:21 PM
idiotic if true. still serviceable. not like they need the money or would do anything with the savings.

mikemac2001
09-02-2011, 01:22 PM
McGee only makes $3.2M, that isn't much for a starting or nickel CB. It would seem odd they cut the guy when he is finally healthy.

ya why cut the guy finally looks like he is playing alright

OpIv37
09-02-2011, 01:30 PM

but see, you're a Patriots fan, which means you are thinking in terms of a competent NFL franchise.

Most owners/GM's would realize that $3.2 million for a competent starting CB is a pretty good deal.

Ralph looks at it from the standpoint of "McGee's $3.2 million is more than the guy on the bench behind him, so don't be afraid to cut him."

kishoph
09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
I would think that there would be more reports of it if it was true (even on twitter). I'm hoping that it's not true, the secondary has looked a little shaky as it is.

BillsWin
09-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Be pissed if we did. Could have traded him probably.

wmoz11
09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
He'll end up with Fewell in NY. The Giants need corners pretty badly.

And now I officially have 0 jersies with current Bills on them.

Ickybaluky
09-02-2011, 01:38 PM
If he were to be cut, Belichick may take a look at him. He has spoken highly of him in the past. He loves vets.

Ickybaluky
09-02-2011, 01:40 PM
This is the guy who is the source:

LINK (http://twitter.com/#%21/nfldraftscout)

He kind of looks like Pat Moran with a fake beard.

He claims two separate sources have told him of the McGee cut, one an agent.

ParanoidAndroid
but see, you're a Patriots fan, which means you are thinking in terms of a competent NFL franchise.

Most owners/GM's would realize that $3.2 million for a competent starting CB is a pretty good deal.

Ralph looks at it from the standpoint of "McGee's $3.2 million is more than the guy on the bench behind him, so don't be afraid to cut him."

By that logic we would have a team of all rookies making rookie minimum.

psubills62

And now I unofficially have 0 jersies with current Bills on them.
Fixed it for you. Guys, this still has not been confirmed. Let's at least wait and see if it's true or not.

psubills62
09-02-2011, 01:43 PM

I just became a tad more confident that this is untrue, when I read the title under his twitter name:

Lead NFL Draft writer at Bleacher Report--Founder of New Era Scouting
Emphasis added.

I'll believe it when I see it.

GreedoII
09-02-2011, 01:43 PM
injury prone old player gone. I expected it. Put the young guys in and and let them play. You know he would have missed playing time this yr. he has for the past 3!! See you McGee. Dont let the door hit you in your injury prone azz...

BloFan4Life
09-02-2011, 01:44 PM
One guy who has never had anything published about being an inside source says something and all of a sudden it is true. How come no one else is picking up on this.

kishoph
09-02-2011, 01:44 PM

One is an agent (travel agent), the other is PAT MORAN. I really hope this guy's not right.

EDS
09-02-2011, 01:54 PM
injury prone old player gone. I expected it. Put the young guys in and and let them play. You know he would have missed playing time this yr. he has for the past 3!! See you McGee. Dont let the door hit you in your injury prone azz...

McGee is 30 and injury prone, yes. So is Nick Barnett, the teams big off-season free agent signing.

OpIv37
09-02-2011, 01:55 PM

we're not far off from that.

better days
09-02-2011, 02:03 PM

Well, they already dumped a very good WR that was making about the same money for a 4th rnd pick, so why not? $3Mill + $3Mill nice savings for Ralph. Now lets see, who else can he dump?

kishoph
09-02-2011, 02:09 PM
The guy is saying he heard it through a text. He's looking for a link to the story, is he using Google or Bing ?

Mr. Miyagi
09-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, if it's true that's exactly what it would be.

But I'm not going to react to this until we have some evidence beyond just some jackass on Twitter.
Just in case you should have that statement copied on your clipboard so you could just paste and react quickly if it's true.

ServoBillieves
09-02-2011, 02:29 PM
The guy is saying he heard it through a text. He's looking for a link to the story, is he using Google or Bing ?
Surprisingly, he's using AskJeeves.com

WeAreArthurMoates
09-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Tim Graham just said this is a rumor

stuckincincy
09-02-2011, 02:42 PM
McGee is 30 and injury prone, yes. So is Nick Barnett, the teams big off-season free agent signing.

He seems a spent force. I don't know how his salary translates into the cap thing, but I'd move on...

18 total tackles, 2 passes defended in 9 game appearances last year, only 3 starts.

They were 4 and 14 last season - roll the dice...what's to lose?

http://www.nfl.com/player/terrencemcgee/2505520/profile

Oaf
09-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Cut McKelvin instead.

OpIv37
09-02-2011, 02:49 PM
He seems a spent force. I don't know how his salary translates into the cap thing, but I'd move on...

18 total tackles, 2 passes defended in 9 game appearances last year, only 3 starts.

They were 4 and 14 last season - roll the dice...what's to lose?

http://www.nfl.com/player/terrencemcgee/2505520/profile

Who do we have behind him? McKelvin? Corner? Did we even draft any CB's?

I didn't agree with trading Evans, but at least we have Johnson, Jones, and Huggins who should be ready to step up. At CB, we don't even have that.

Again, I'm not going to freak out about this until we get confirmation, but our CB position is weak with McGee and it's REALLY weak without him. If we had a young guy that we're grooming to take his place, I wouldn't be thrilled with it but I could understand it. We don't even have that.

Dr. Lecter
09-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Did you really just ask if they drafted any corners?

Usually your rants are well informed.

Not this one.

Italian Stallion
09-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Dude...Huggins? This along with the did we draft a CB comment?
Are you watching the games? Huggins is going to get cut, Easley and Roosevelt are above him in the pecking order, along with the guys you mentioned.

Need to watch the games and know what your talking about before you rant bud...and if you don't have the time to, keep your trap shut

Michael82
09-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Again, I'm not going to freak out about this until we get confirmation, but our CB position is weak with McGee and it's REALLY weak without him. If we had a young guy that we're grooming to take his place, I wouldn't be thrilled with it but I could understand it. We don't even have that.

:rofl: Nothing you say about this topic means anything anymore. Did you not watch the draft? The Bills drafted one of the top CBs in the 2nd round and also drafted one in the late rounds...

Williams will be the starting nickel back and most likely starting by the end of the season, pushing McKelvin for the spot. McGee was starting to fall down the depth chart and if he stays, he would be the #4 CB on the depth chart. The Bills wouldn't keep a $3 million #4 CB.

------------------------------------------------------

CB Aaron Williams - Texas
Round 2: Pick 2
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/aaron-williams?id=2495510

CB Justin Rogers - Richmond
Round 7: Pick 3
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/justin-rogers?id=2495332

trapezeus
09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
if true, and hangartner is cut, it will seem like the threshold is $3MM. the bills will not pay over $3mm a year to someone in real cash unless they are very productive.

letting mcgee go is a possible mistake. other teams like the giants are thin and probably will look at other people's CB cast-offs, but they'll jump on mcgee. it's worth cutting a no name and hoping we get away with it, than giving mcgee out free. They'll definitely take a vet just to help get younger guys coached up.

trapezeus
09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
and what about our internal policy of keeping 4-5 punt returners for punts that never happen?

kingJofNYC
09-02-2011, 03:14 PM
His agent said this is not true.

RoscoeMagic
09-02-2011, 03:23 PM
His agent said this is not true.

Not true...yet...:cell:

justasportsfan
09-02-2011, 03:46 PM
nfldraftscout Matt Miller
Last word on McGee: 2 indep. sources confirmed he was cut, then said he would be tomorrow. Team will not deny/confirm until tomorrow.
1 hour ago

Captain Obvious
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Yes and if you had been paying attention at the time you would have been pissed off

The Popcorn
09-02-2011, 04:16 PM

And now I officially have 0 jersies with current Bills on them.

You could be right. The Giants have lost a ton of cornerbacks this year.

mikemac2001
09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Last word on McGee: 2 indep. sources confirmed he was cut, then said he would be tomorrow. Team will not deny/confirm until tomorrow.
1 hour ago

who is this guy?

stuckincincy
09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Keep an eye peeled on the wire for CIN's #3 last year - Brandon Ghee. Hammie problems - can't say if it's a chronic thing. My guess is he goes on their PS...crowded field.

Look for vets Pac-Man Jones and OLB Keith Rivers to get PUP'ed. If CIN cuts DT Shirley, BUF should grab him.

Thurmal
09-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I have always ragged on McGee because I think he gets worked by bigger WRs, and I thought that Greer and Florence should've started over him for years.

That being said, we should hold on to him. He can still make plays and doesn't take anything off the table when he is in there on nickel packages or against #2 wideouts or lower. Just don't want to see him covering guys like Burress, Marshall, etc.

streetkings01
09-02-2011, 05:03 PM
McGee's shot and has been for some time now. He's a small(height wise) aging CB that can't stay healthy.

Mr. Pink
09-02-2011, 05:05 PM
McGee is a horrendous man to man corner and decent zone corner.

On top of that he can't stay healthy.

If he's cut or not, really would make no difference.

better days
09-02-2011, 07:07 PM

I didn't agree with trading Evans, but at least we have Johnson, Jones, and Huggins who should be ready to step up. At CB, we don't even have that.

Aaron Williams 2nd rnd. 6' 204lbs.

better days
09-02-2011, 07:09 PM
1 hour ago

Maybe they are trying to trade him for a 4th rnd pick.

Ingtar33
09-02-2011, 07:42 PM

don't give the old man ideas

X-Era
09-02-2011, 08:25 PM
If true, big if, this team continues to under invest in proven players and over invest in unproven potential.

The Bills would be a great team in the NFL's AAA league.

guy
09-02-2011, 08:42 PM
If true, big if, this team continues to under invest in proven players and over invest in unproven potential.

The Bills would be a great team in the NFL's AAA league. childish remark

ParanoidAndroid
09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Ummm.... Jeremy McGee, also a CB, was cut by the Rams. :idunno:

tampabay25690
09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Remember when Terrence was a Great Kick Returner..............
Man he was good....

Don't Panic
09-02-2011, 10:24 PM
McKelvin, Florence and Williams is fine for a top 3. I'm not advocating cutting anyone with talent at this point, but it's not like we don't have some quality there without him.

Bert102176
09-02-2011, 11:14 PM
I think it's bs haven't heard it anywhere else but wouldn't doubt that it happens being as cheap of a S.O.B Ralph is

Demon
09-03-2011, 01:37 AM
I think it's bs haven't heard it anywhere else but wouldn't doubt that it happens being as cheap of a S.O.B Ralph is

What do you expect to hear? The cuts are not until tomorrow.

His agent said McGee wasn't cut yet and Tim Graham cited two sources saying the rumor is BS. What else are they supposed to say? Its made by a basement journalist.

GreedoII
09-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Florence was resigned to start.

better days
09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Maybe they are trying to trade him for a 4th rnd pick.

I just read an article on Profootballtalk.com that said to expect to see a number of low level trades where teams with a surplus of talent a one position trade a player at that position before cuts come.

I know there are a number of teams that could use help at the CB position so I think McGee actually could get traded.

Johnny Bugmenot
09-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Remember when Terrence was a Great Kick Returner..............
Man he was good....
Kick returner? Ah, yes, a position that used to matter before they moved kickoffs back to the 35...

kishoph
09-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Ummm.... Jeremy McGee, also a CB, was cut by the Rams. :idunno:

TERRENCE, JEREMY, you say potato, I say potahto. I can't believe that someone who writes for such a reputable news source as The Bleecher Report could make such a mistake.

BTW, good find, it really seems like that could be the story. I found it funny that all the nobody's that were confirming the report on twitter citing they also had sources.
What is with these people they claim they have"sources", does it make them feel big or important ?

DBrown77
09-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Thread = Fail

wmoz11
09-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Looks like I still have a good jersey!

Night Train
09-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Looks like certain websites post baseless BS and make some look like jackasses.

But keep following them blindly !