PDA

View Full Version : Bring in Meriweather

Mr. Miyagi
09-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Wonder why he was cut. If nothing else, bring him in to pick him brain. He's still very young and might have that Lawyer Milloy revenge factor.

BillsFever21
09-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I just saw this and was going to post on it. It's hard to believe he was cut. I'd definitely bring him in if it was possible. He's been a good player. Hard to say what reason there was for him being released.

Ickybaluky
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Meriweather was too much of a freelancer. He is a very talented player, but as a 5th year player they got fed up with his mistakes. He just missed too many assignments.

The Pats are playing a more aggressive scheme up front this year, and they need their S to be reliable to back it up. The big surprise with letting Meriweather go is they will be starting an unproven player, either Sergio Brown or Josh Barrett. I have to think they will bring in a veteran, maybe Darren Sharper (who they worked out a few weeks ago).

OG is another position they are thin at, as they put Rich Ohrnberger on IR and Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly have been hurt in camp (but made the team). They visited with Andre Gurode and Brian Waters today, so they will probably bring in a veteran interior lineman.

OpIv37
09-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Meriweather was too much of a freelancer. He is a very talented player, but as a 5th year player they got fed up with his mistakes. He just missed too many assignments.

The Pats are playing a more aggressive scheme up front this year, and they need their S to be reliable to back it up. The big surprise with letting Meriweather go is they will be starting an unproven player, either Sergio Brown or Josh Barrett. I have to think they will bring in a veteran, maybe Darren Sharper (who they worked out a few weeks ago).

OG is another position they are thin at, as they put Rich Ohrnberger on IR and Ryan Wendell and Dan Connolly have been hurt in camp (but made the team). They visited with Andre Gurode and Brian Waters today, so they will probably bring in a veteran interior lineman.

I liked Sergio Brown when he was at ND. But I hope he blows for you guys.

wmoz11
09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
So funny how people still request picking up guys that they know nothing about other than their name. Guy is undisciplined and terrible in coverage. Donte Whitner 2.0.

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2011, 08:58 PM
So funny how people still request picking up guys that they know nothing about other than their name. Guy is undisciplined and terrible in coverage. Donte Whitner 2.0.
Watching the Bills safeties in preseason, they miss Whitner.

Ickybaluky
09-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I liked Sergio Brown when he was at ND. But I hope he blows for you guys.

Brown has done a good job for them on ST and when he has played, but it is surprising to think they would rely on him. They need S who don't make mistakes if they are going to be aggressive up front.

I think the Pats are looking at vets to make a run this year. They probably bring in Sharper. They brought in Brian Waters today and the Globe is saying they are negotiating a contract with him. I think they want vets.

wmoz11
09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Watching the Bills safeties in preseason, they miss Whitner.

I was a Whitner apologist for a long time, my friend. Finally came to the realization that he was horrible in coverage, though a sure tackler.

I think our front-7 has improved enough where we don't need to sign a "big name" safety for run defense.

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2011, 09:06 PM
I was a Whitner apologist for a long time, my friend. Finally came to the realization that he was horrible in coverage, though a sure tackler.

I think our front-7 has improved enough where we don't need to sign a "big name" safety for run defense.
Problem is he is still better in coverage than Byrd.

wmoz11
09-03-2011, 09:08 PM

I wasn't huge on Byrd's...well.. bird like a lot of Bills fans, but I still think that's fairly blasphemous.

Beebe's Kid
09-04-2011, 12:19 AM

I have to disagree.

Byrd takes a lot of ****, but he had hernia surgery right before the season started last year. He played, but wasn't at 100%, arguably all year. By the end of the season he really turned it up, and was playing well.

He played, in my opinion, a more complete game last year. He forced some fumbles, tow of which came against Pittsburgh, and he was a much better tackler.

I don't think Byrd is a problem, and I think he will show his worth this season.

Mahdi
09-04-2011, 05:22 AM
I think this is a no brainer Lawyer Milloy type situation. Bring him in to upgrade our safety depth. Cut Scott.

Night Train
09-04-2011, 06:26 AM
I think this is a no brainer Lawyer Milloy type situation. Bring him in to upgrade our safety depth. Cut Scott.

Scott is limited but fills a role as an in the box safety in certain packages and isn't expected to be a coverage safety, ala Milloy.

He makes a lot of tackles at the LOS that other players miss. He had more courage going into the hole and making hits that LB's like Poz or Fletcher ever had.

kishoph
09-04-2011, 08:06 AM
I usually don't get excited about picking up another teams cuts, but I think this would be a good pick up MERIWEATHER is still young and has no injury problems that I'm aware of, I'd like to see this signing.

trapezeus
09-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Belichik will look like a genius again when we can't get **** out of the guy. Can't we just accept that we are a 3-4 win team again?

DraftBoy
09-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Meriweather signed with Chicago.