PDA

View Full Version : Better, Worse, or Push? - QB

YardRat
09-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Pretty simple exercise. Position-by-position comparison between the last season of the Jauron era (2009) and the opening roster of the second season of the Nix/Gailey.

Is our talent better, worse, or even with two seasons ago?

2011---Fitzpatrick-Thigpen-Smith

2009---Edwards-Fitzpatrick-Brohm

Extremebillsfan247
09-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Had to go push here, We still have Fitz, but Thigpen is horrible, and Smith isn't a true QB. If Fitz gets hurt this year, we are going to have a tough time winning football games. So in my opinion, our 3 QB set up is no different than when it was Fitzpatrick, Brohm, and Brown. I just don't see how its an improvement at all. In fact, you could quite easily argue that we got considerably worse, and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong. JMO

better days
09-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Had to go push here, We still have Fitz, but Thigpen is horrible, and Smith isn't a true QB. If Fitz gets hurt this year, we are going to have a tough time winning football games. So in my opinion, our 3 QB set up is no different than when it was Fitzpatrick, Brohm, and Brown. I just don't see how its an improvement at all. In fact, you could quite easily argue that we got considerably worse, and you wouldn't necessarily be wrong. JMO

The MOST IMPORTANT person in this equation is the STARTING QB.

Fitzpatrick>Edwards so this years QB's are better by far.

Extremebillsfan247
09-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Fitzpatrick>Edwards so this years QB's are better by far.Behind a shady Oline, I'm not sure that's exactly true for this team. Our depth team wide is scary, none more so than at QB. JMO

RoscoeMagic
09-04-2011, 11:00 AM

Fitzpatrick>Edwards so this years QB's are better by far.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but the way the question was phrased makes it confusing. It wasn't asked whether our starting QB is better, it asked "is the talent better."

And considering Fitz has the same talent now as he did two years ago, it comes down to Trent vs. Thigpen and Brohm vs. Smith. Talent-wise, I think Brohm and Trent had some more than Thigpen and Smith, but as far as what they did on the field, the better QBs are probably Thigpen and Smith (come on, no one's worse than Trent).

We're obviously in a much better QB situation now with Fitzpatrick starting as opposed to 2009 with Edwards, but from a purely talent perspective, I can see a push, maybe even a worse.

better days
09-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but the way the question was phrased makes it confusing. It wasn't asked whether our starting QB is better, it asked "is the talent better."

And considering Fitz has the same talent now as he did two years ago, it comes down to Trent vs. Thigpen and Brohm vs. Smith. Talent-wise, I think Brohm and Trent had some more than Thigpen and Smith, but as far as what they did on the field, the better QBs are probably Thigpen and Smith (come on, no one's worse than Trent).

We're obviously in a much better QB situation now with Fitzpatrick starting as opposed to 2009 with Edwards, but from a purely talent perspective, I can see a push, maybe even a worse.

Well, in the first place, I think you have to compare starter vs starter talent. Fitz has more talent than Trent so this years QB's are more talented. Also Fitz may have gotten better than he was in 2009 with Chans coaching, we will soon see.

RoscoeMagic
09-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Well, in the first place, I think you have to compare starter vs starter talent. Fitz has more talent than Trent so this years QB's are more talented. Also Fitz may have gotten better than he was in 2009 with Chans coaching, we will soon see.

It appears we're all interpreting this question differently.:chuk:

We're in a better QB situation now on the whole, with Gailey and Fitzpatrick than Jauron and Edwards.

/end debate

Novacane
09-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Starter...............better Fitz way better than Trentative

Backup...............worse Fitz way better than Thigpen

3rd.................better Smith will be a weapon in wildcat

YardRat
09-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Better---Fitz is 10X> Edwards as a starter and actually has some leadership qualities. Smith brings an entirely new dimension to the position for us and an element that will be used every Sunday.