PDA

View Full Version : Better, Worse, or Push? - Defensive Line

YardRat
09-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Pretty simple exercise. Position-by-position comparison between the last season of the Jauron era (2009) and the opening roster of the second season of the Nix/Gailey.

Is our talent better, worse, or even with two seasons ago?

2011-Heard, Sp. Johnson, Carrington, K. Williams, Troup, Edwards, Dareus

2009-Kelsay-Stroud-Sp.Johnson-McCargo-Williams-Schobel-Maybin-Denney (Ellis & Mace)

Mr. Pink
09-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Push for now...if Dareus makes an impact this year it sways to better.

Night Train
09-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Tons better

Novacane
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Better. Kelsay, Denny, Mcargo, Maybin? :puke:

better days
09-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I know it is just preseason but anyone can see the DL is MUCH BETTER.

bills4ver
09-04-2011, 11:29 AM

huh did u watch any of the preseason games?

I know its preseason but our D-Line is better how much we will see but push?

Mr. Pink
09-04-2011, 11:41 AM
huh did u watch any of the preseason games?

I know its preseason but our D-Line is better how much we will see but push?

Preseason is absolutely meaningless.

mrbojanglezs
09-04-2011, 12:05 PM

you honestly don't think we are better with Dareus than with stroud? You really have to see something before you make an opinion, your incapable of making any predictions? :refuse:

Mr. Pink
09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
you honestly don't think we are better with Dareus than with stroud? You really have to see something before you make an opinion, your incapable of making any predictions? :refuse:

If I were to predict now...I'd say Stroud is better. Why? He's proven it and was also a 1st round pick.

And then there's Schobel, who as much as I bagged on the guy was sorely missed last year.

Meanwhile, I still think Kyle Williams was a better fit in the 4-3 front than the 3-4.

Put those 3 factors together and 2009 is just as equal as to today, if Dareus is an impact stud then now is better...if he flops 09 is better.

better days
09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
If I were to predict now...I'd say Stroud is better. Why? He's proven it and was also a 1st round pick.

And then there's Schobel, who as much as I bagged on the guy was sorely missed last year.

Meanwhile, I still think Kyle Williams was a better fit in the 4-3 front than the 3-4.

Put those 3 factors together and 2009 is just as equal as to today, if Dareus is an impact stud then now is better...if he flops 09 is better.

OK so you think an OLD, INJURED 1st rnd pick is better than a rookie 1st rnd pick. I will bet you are wrong on this one.

Mr. Pink
09-04-2011, 12:57 PM
OK so you think an OLD, INJURED 1st rnd pick is better than a rookie 1st rnd pick. I will bet you are wrong on this one.

Stroud started 15 games in 09. Had 56 tackles 2 sacks 8 passes defended.

We're comparing the 2009 version of Stroud in this, not the 2011 washed up out of the league version.

better days
09-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Stroud started 15 games in 09. Had 56 tackles 2 sacks 8 passes defended.

We're comparing the 2009 version of Stroud in this, not the 2011 washed up out of the league version.

I understand that. I will bet Dareus puts up better numbers than that though. Dareus will probably have 2 sacks in his first game. Not to mention the rest of the DL is better than the 2009 line. And admit it you were the one that said the 2009 LB's were better than the 2011 LB's weren't you?

YardRat
09-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Better. Dareus could be the first honest-to-the-football-gods real deal we've seen in a long, long time.

What this current regime has done to upgrade the front seven on defense has given me a little bit of optimism that they actually know what the hell they're doing. On this side of the ball, anyway.

ParanoidAndroid
09-05-2011, 09:30 AM
This one is tough.... Stroud, Williams, Schobel and Kelsay with Johnnson.... I have to lean towards better given that Stroud was past his prime and Schobel was just not into football anymore.
Dareus and Edwards > Stroud and Johnson as starters, but not by much yet.

TigerJ
09-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, this one was easy.

BillsFever21
09-05-2011, 04:15 PM
It's hard to say it's better. Everyone is just saying it because of Dareus which hasn't proved anything yet. Schobel was at 10+ sack a year player. If Dareus can match what Schobel did I will be happy. If he doesn't then I don't see whee it's so much better like everyone wants to hope.

Luisito23
09-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I say definitely better.

2 studs at DT, a healthy Merriman, and Barnett could be trouble.

The realistic goal is to move up to top 15 in rushing D. by week 5.

We build on confidence, and experience, hopefully by then we won't be 1-4, or worst. :nervous:

better days
09-05-2011, 05:02 PM
It's hard to say it's better. Everyone is just saying it because of Dareus which hasn't proved anything yet. Schobel was at 10+ sack a year player. If Dareus can match what Schobel did I will be happy. If he doesn't then I don't see whee it's so much better like everyone wants to hope.

The Bills biggest problem last year was stopping the run & that will be the primary job for Dareus. Expect Merriman & the other LB's to get the sacks that will be their job. Any sacks by Williams & Dareus are GRAVY.