PDA

View Full Version : Riot Reports Urge NHL to Increase Role

SkateZilla
09-04-2011, 01:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/6923800/vancouver-riot-reports-urge-nhl-increase-anti-violence-role

The report, written by former Nova Scotia deputy attorney general Doug Keefe and former Vancouver Olympic committee head John Furlong, urges the Canucks to initiate programs that encourage fans to act responsibility.

During the Stanley Cup finals, fans were invited to downtown Vancouver to watch games on large-screen TVs. Over 150,000 people converged on Vancouver's downtown June 15, torching cars, smashing windows and looting stores after the Canucks fell to Boston. Damage is estimated in the millions of dollars.

Vancouver's internal review also suggests the Canucks be part of discussions, along with the NHL and local business groups, to create a "community-based organization to plan, raise money, and oversee any future Fan Zone activation sites."

I dont see how they are writing up reports blaming the NHL and the Team.

The City Leaders and Police Commissioner are to blame. as Boston was prepared they Hired thousands of Security and police personel for the finals. Vancouver did nothing.

its not the NHL's Job to provide security for the city, clearly Vancouver Police/City Officials failed and are now trying to pass the blame to the NHL.

mightysimi
09-05-2011, 03:11 PM
So you were in Vancouver during the finals? You know they did nothing? I know for a fact there were cops on every street corner. I saw them myself. Tell me what police force in the world is going to have an affect on 150,000 people?

trapezeus
09-05-2011, 05:44 PM
nhl = blame because they took a game 7 in a starved championship town, pushed the game up to be at 7 on the east coast which put the game on at 5 meaning people were drinking forever. had they just aired the game at 7pm west coast time, the game would have ended by 9:30 and the riots would probably have been less pronounced.

but the nhl wanted the ratings of east coast viewership at all costs. and this is what came from that decision. they deserve some of the blame.

SabreEleven
09-06-2011, 06:29 AM
nhl = blame because they took a game 7 in a starved championship town, pushed the game up to be at 7 on the east coast which put the game on at 5 meaning people were drinking forever. had they just aired the game at 7pm west coast time, the game would have ended by 9:30 and the riots would probably have been less pronounced.

but the nhl wanted the ratings of east coast viewership at all costs. and this is what came from that decision. they deserve some of the blame.

So you wanted the game to start at 10EST because Vancouver can't control their drunk fans?

trapezeus
09-06-2011, 11:53 AM
i'm not saying that's what i want, but at the start of the summer with the sun up longer, you know the outcome of people drinking from 3-7 and being very angry or very happy will result in a certain amount of rowdy behaviour that might no occur if it was later in the day and people are thinking about work and what not.

they fed this indirectly and apparently didn't provide much additional coverage even through their actions increased the risk.

if you increase the risk and do nothing to mitigate that risk, you are being negligent.