PDA

View Full Version : NFL Hall of Famer Selmon dies

Dr. Lecter
09-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Hall of Fame defensive lineman Lee Roy Selmon died Sunday, aged 56, two days after suffering a stroke, his family confirmed.Selmon, the lone Tampa Bay Buccaneers representative in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, was admitted to the hospital Friday afternoon after suffering the stroke in his Tampa home, Tampabay.com reported.

His brother, Dewey Selmon, said Saturday that Lee Roy had showed signs of improvement, but his family released a statement Sunday confirming the death.

"It is with very heavy hearts that the Selmon Family announces the passing of our beloved husband, father and brother, Lee Roy Selmon. Lee Roy passed away today [Sunday] surrounded by family and friends at St. Joseph's Hospital," the statement read.

"For all his accomplishments on and off the field, to us Lee Roy was the rock of our family. This has been a sudden and shocking event and we are devastated by this unexpected loss. We deeply appreciate the prayers and support shown by family, friends, the football community and the public over the past two days."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Lee-Roy-Selmon-dies-at-age-56-after-stroke-Tampa-Bay-Buccaneers-Hall-of-Fame-defensive-end-090411

sdbillsfan2
09-04-2011, 06:59 PM
One of the best ever . maybe the original "beast "
R.I.P. Lee Roy ..thanks !

YardRat
09-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Bummer.

The Selmons were the face of the Tampa Bay franchise when the team first came into the league.

Billz_fan
09-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Wow, I had heard a report he was doing better yesterday to :/ Leroy continued to be a celebrity in the Tampa Bay area long after his playing days. His restaurants are well know and an Expressway bares his name.

I was lucky enough to see him play on numerous occasions. He was a great player and an even better human being. Im sad to see him go. RIP Leroy, I hope they name even more things after him in Tampa. He deserves it :)