PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Working at RT

DraftBoy
09-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Interesting development via his twitter.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-05-2011, 01:37 PM
he needs to get down to 350 ish in order to be quick enough for rt...

NOT THE DUDE...
09-05-2011, 01:37 PM
i see him more as a guard... jmo

kishoph
09-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I was wondering if they were going to give this a shot, he seems pretty athletic for such as big guy, enough to be a tackle, don't know, but it won't hurt looking at him.

YardRat
09-05-2011, 02:12 PM
:rofl: at acehole calling it almost a month ago.

Night Train
09-05-2011, 02:14 PM
:rofl: at acehole calling it almost a month ago.

Give him his props.

Bill Cody
09-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Give him his props.

no no make fun of him because he predicted it too long ago

YardRat
09-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Looking forward to that trade, now :D

mrbojanglezs
09-05-2011, 02:18 PM
i dont see him being successful as a RT

DraftBoy
09-05-2011, 02:19 PM
His tech is a big issue for me at RT. He stands up far too much (something Lecter pointed out to me) and makes little effort to play with the proper leverage.

He has to work harder at that to be successful.

Night Train
09-05-2011, 02:22 PM
His tech is a big issue for me at RT. He stands up far too much (something Lecter pointed out to me) and makes little effort to play with the proper leverage.

And if he fails there, they'll kick him inside at Guard for his last chance.

tampabay25690
09-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Well he has the time to develop if he is on the practice squad anyway...
This will take sometime....
But hey its worth a try..

RoscoeMagic
09-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Cool, we have nothing to lose.

BLeonard
09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Cool, we have nothing to lose.

Except a game on Sunday...

But, hey, why bother going out and signing an ACTUAL offensive lineman... let's just throw **** at the wall and see what sticks.

I don't have a problem with moving Jasper to the O-Line, in theory... What I have an issue with is the fact that they do this, but STILL don't go after a lineman.

-Bill

EricStratton
09-05-2011, 02:58 PM
You can't teach size, speed or athleticism and it seems he has all three.

If he can be coached up and play on the scout team for the season and the off-season maybe he can get the job done.

Plus he has a log jam in front of him at DT with Williams, Troupe, Darius etc.

Luisito23
09-05-2011, 04:37 PM
He'll make it.

BertSquirtgum
09-05-2011, 04:48 PM
no no make fun of him because he predicted it too long ago

are you guys ****ing serious? it was a lucky guess. he had no idea it was going to happen.

Dr. Lecter
09-05-2011, 05:12 PM

At the last game he was doing better about not standing up.

Instead he was getting out of his stance slowly and lunging.

Jan Reimers
09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Unbelievable. We are $20M under the salary cap and the answer to our putrid O-line is to move a 7th round practice squad guy to RT?

Inconceivable. Surreal.

It may actually work a few years down the road, but I'd like one more winning season while I'm still on the right side of the grass.

YardRat
09-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Unbelievable. We are $20M under the salary cap and the answer to our putrid O-line is to move a 7th round practice squad guy to RT?

Inconceivable. Surreal.

It may actually work a few years down the road, but I'd like one more winning season while I'm still on the right side of the grass.

If they are going to PS him, what's the harm in having him pull double-duty on both sides of the ball for the scout team?

cookie G
09-05-2011, 06:04 PM

Inconceivable. Surreal.

Whether he eventually cuts it or not, or is ready or not, be prepared to hear him described as the RT of the future by OBD.

When the next FA'cy period comes around, you'll hear things like..."we've got this 375 lb. kid from our practice squad that's a hell of an athlete for his size, and we have to see what he can do".

That'll be the tagline, wait for it.

And people will believe it. Hell, if they can say it about castoffs Urbik and Pears, they can say it about Jasper.

There isn't a team in the NFL that places less of an emphasis on the O line.

DraftBoy
09-05-2011, 06:15 PM
At the last game he was doing better about not standing up.

Instead he was getting out of his stance slowly and lunging.

Awesome for a RT. Lunging is the best way for our RT to block.

PromoTheRobot
09-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Inconceivable. Surreal.

Give me a name of someone who is worth signing at this point?

PTR

tatersalad
09-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Leonard Davis

Bill Cody
09-05-2011, 10:45 PM
are you guys ****ing serious? it was a lucky guess. he had no idea it was going to happen.

:laughing:

TigerJ
09-05-2011, 11:16 PM

He has to work harder at that to be successful.Obviously, the only film you've had of him blocking was from his college play. He played at a school that had a very low level program, playing against similar schools. He was so big, strong and athletic compared to everyone around him that he didn't need proper technique to keep defenders off his QB, or mow them over on running plays. That's pretty much a no brainer. The real issue is, now that he has some quality coaching, is he going to learn? Supposedly, he's no dummy and has an excellent work ethic, so we'll see what develops. It won't be this year, of course. Maybe at training camp next summer we can get a look at his progress.

acehole
09-06-2011, 08:09 AM
Remember you have to take a bus just to get around him. You can't push him over....If he can lose some more weight and get some time back there...he might pan out.

Obviously, the only film you've had of him blocking was from his college play. He played at a school that had a very low level program, playing against similar schools. He was so big, strong and athletic compared to everyone around him that he didn't need proper technique to keep defenders off his QB, or mow them over on running plays. That's pretty much a no brainer. The real issue is, now that he has some quality coaching, is he going to learn? Supposedly, he's no dummy and has an excellent work ethic, so we'll see what develops. It won't be this year, of course. Maybe at training camp next summer we can get a look at his progress.

psubills62
09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
My word, some people are acting like he's going to be the starting RT come Sunday. Last I knew, this guy was on the practice squad.

ddaryl
09-06-2011, 09:09 AM
hey this is exactly why we have a practice squad... You roll the dice some.. Obviously the Bills love that he is a big but athletic for his size.. and has the work ethic you look for...

But I agree.. he needs to get down in to the 320 - 330lb range.

no matter what I'm on the Jasper train.. Love a great Cinderella story.. Hope he develops

Bill Cody
09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Whether he eventually cuts it or not, or is ready or not, be prepared to hear him described as the RT of the future by OBD.

Shouldn't we wait until he's on the actual roster before we gear up for this kind of talk?

Jan Reimers
09-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Give me a name of someone who is worth signing at this point?

PTR
There is no one at this point, simply because we pissed away the whole FA period and got zilch.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2011, 09:18 AM
My word, some people are acting like he's going to be the starting RT come Sunday. Last I knew, this guy was on the practice squad.
And that's the problem. He's desevedly a practice squadder, while our starting RT is a journeyman castoff.

We needed to get some help in FA, and we got nothing.

OpIv37
09-06-2011, 09:25 AM

There is nothing wrong with giving Jasper a shot on the PS.

The problem- and the reason why people are acting like he's going to be the starter- is because this team has done literally NOTHING else to address the OL.

Let's face it- it's unlikely that Jasper works out at RT, and even if he does, it'll be a year or two before he's ready. The Bills have no plan for what to do in the meantime.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
If they are going to PS him, what's the harm in having him pull double-duty on both sides of the ball for the scout team?
None. My point is, this is NOT the answer to our immediate need for major help on the O-line.

We had the FA period, and there were some recent cuts that would have helped.

But our solution was to convert an extemely raw rookie.

After 11 horrible seasons, is it too much to ask that we get some decent help on the O-line NOW?

psubills62
09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
There is nothing wrong with giving Jasper a shot on the PS.

The problem- and the reason why people are acting like he's going to be the starter- is because this team has done literally NOTHING else to address the OL.

Let's face it- it's unlikely that Jasper works out at RT, and even if he does, it'll be a year or two before he's ready. The Bills have no plan for what to do in the meantime.
The plan appears to be Pears starting, possibly Hairston in a year or so. It's a plan very few people like, but it's obviously what they're doing for now.

And that's the problem. He's desevedly a practice squadder, while our starting RT is a journeyman castoff.

We needed to get some help in FA, and we got nothing.
Yes, we know. And this is a move for the future. Anything involving Michael Jasper is a move for the future. Nobody, including the coaches, are pretending this is going to solve anything for now.

psubills62
09-06-2011, 09:39 AM
None. My point is, this is NOT the answer to our immediate need for major help on the O-line.

We had the FA period, and there were some recent cuts that would have helped.

But our solution was to convert an extemely raw rookie.

After 11 horrible seasons, is it too much to ask that we get some decent help on the O-line NOW?
Nobody said it was the answer.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Nobody said it was the answer.
I freaking understand that. The time for an answer for this season is long gone. I simply wanted to see some progress on the line this year. Instead, we have recycled castoffs in Pears and Urbik, a guy who has never really developed in Bell, an average player in Levitre and a decent center in Wood. And absolutely abysmal backups.

I'm simply sick of their ignoring the O-line when there have been players available, and they have had the cap money to do something meaningful.

11 years of this crap is way, way too long. Now we're going to go through another lousy season. I know there is nothing we can do about except *****, and that's what I choose to do.

If you want to continue to defend the Bills' feeble efforts to improve their O-line and look wistfully to some unknown future where Michael Jasper is our RT, that's fine.

But I'm looking at this year, and I see basically the same picture that I've seen since 2000. That's a helluva long time to be rebuilding.