PDA

View Full Version : Grantland's Mega NFL Preview: Part I

MidnightVoice
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6918507/part-i

Pretenders - The Bills

The last time the Bills played a meaningful game was on January 2, 2005, when they were denied a playoff spot in Week 17 at home by the Steelers' second-stringers. Since that game, the Bills have gone 36-60. And barring a miracle, things aren't about to change. There are a few paths to rebuilding your football team, and over the past six years the Bills haven't followed any of them.....

The difference between the Packers and Steelers and the Bills is all in drafting and developing talent. The Bills occasionally turn up a nugget here and there — Kyle Williams is a fine defensive tackle, and Stevie Johnson deserves to be known for more than his infamous drop against Pittsburgh in overtime last season. But Buffalo's first-round picks over the past 10 seasons have been remarkably dismal. Although running backs selected in the first round consistently return less value than virtually any other position, the Bills have taken three of them with their past 10 first-round picks and have gotten below-average production from each. When the Bills do develop a player like Jason Peters or Paul Posluszny, they don't leave Buffalo because of the crappy weather and the disappointing nightlife; they leave because the organization surrounds them with terrible players, overmatched head coaches, and schemes that change from year to year. Until that changes, the Bills aren't going anywhere.

Strangely, we celebrate teams when we can directly link their style of play to a broader narrative about the city and its fans. A team like the Steelers is "blue-collar" because they build teams that grind in the trenches for small gains on offense and don't take any lip on defense. The Chargers are wizards from the future who toss the ball around in the world's most perfect climate. The Raiders are a lawless rogue's gallery. It's sad that the Bills are the most accurate distillation of their city in pro football, an irrelevant team with a bleak present and a future somewhere out West. Or in Canada.

Best-case scenario: The Fitzchise finally scores one for the long-suffering graduates of Harvard and breaks out at age 28 as the Bills win a bunch of shootouts, stay healthy, and go 9-7.

Worst-case scenario: Los Angeles OK's a stadium plan as the Bills win a meaningless Week 17 game against the Patriots to go 4-12, pushing them out of the first overall slot and giving Andrew Luck to somebody else.

Forward_Lateral
09-06-2011, 03:19 PM
What's that guy's address. I want to mail him something.

MidnightVoice
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
To comment on this story through Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/Grantland33

JohnnyGold
09-06-2011, 06:59 PM
in the following section he previews the bears, and the intro includes this gem:

"The Bears were 7-3 in games decided by a touchdown or less, and that includes a mostly meaningless loss to the Packers in Week 17. Winning close games at that rate is not a product of talent."

the bills were 3-6 in games decided by a touchdown or less, which also, if we are to take him seriously, is not an indicator of talent.

if the coin flips the other way this year for us, as he predicts it will for the bears (based on nothing other than chance/statistical inevitability,) LAST years roster will go 6-3 in those games, and be a 7 win team.

which is not the worst team in the league, and does not factor in our improved roster.

so, basically, a garbage preview.

but, honestly, why would national media members fixate on this team the way we do? have the bills REALLY earned that honor over the past decade?

Oaf
09-06-2011, 08:08 PM
There's no worst case scenario that involves beating the Patriots.

Can't say I hate his review though. His comparison to other small mkt teams is valid and so is his best case scenario.

@JG, he backs his Bears claim with more than just "statistical inevitability" (which, as he points out, doesn't even exist) and I agree with him- I'll enjoy watching the Bears tank this year.

Mike
09-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Worst-case scenario: Los Angeles OK's a stadium plan as the Bills win a meaningless Week 17 game against the Patriots to go 4-12, pushing them out of the first overall slot and giving Andrew Luck to somebody else.

A lot of Bills Homers would want to see them win that game...

Ingtar33
09-07-2011, 03:24 AM
A lot of Bills Homers would want to see them win that game...

i assure you 3 wins won't get no.1 in the draft. you'll need a 1 or a 2 spot to pull that off.

Jeff1220
09-07-2011, 05:53 AM
A bit harsh, but not exactly innaccurate either.