PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power Rankings

Ed
09-06-2011, 03:22 PM
ESPN just released their new power rankings. The Bills jumped over the Panthers to grab the 30th spot from their previous pre-season rankings.

Way to climb that ladder! Go Bills!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2011/week/1

kelly2reed4six
09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Sounds about right.

B-DON
09-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I just don't get how any decent football mind can't clearly see the bengals are far and away the worst team with the panthers a close second.

mikemac2001
09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
John clayton is a tool bag

trapezeus
09-06-2011, 04:36 PM
the bottom 5 teams could be mid level teams if they survive injuries adn such. if they don't, they'll all battle for the top 5 picks next year. the bills are part of that no matter how much we hate it.

Mr. Miyagi
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Every year they release these rankings by simply taking the order of finish from the year before and slightly shuffle the top teams around a bit. Any average monkey could do that.

And every year they're way wrong, so who cares.

2010 ESPN pre-season power rankings:

1. Indy
2. New Orleans
3. Mnnesota
4. Dallas
5. Baltimore
6. Green Bay
7. NY Jets
8. Atlanta
9. New England
10. San Diego

28. Cleveland
29. Detroit
30. Tampa Bay
31. Buffalo
32. St. Louis

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2010/week/0

gochiefs
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I just don't get how any decent football mind can't clearly see the bengals are far and away the worst team with the panthers a close second.

One receiver, no offensive line, your defense hinges entirely on a rookie and a broken down linebacker.

The Panthers and Bengals have issues at quarterback, the rest of their teams are fairly solid.

I can probably name 15-20 players (from each team) from Carolina and Cincy who would easily start in Buffalo.

FlyingDutchman
09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
we're gonna suck but cmon 30th? no way do I see us worse than last year with this new front 7 on D. we couldnt get off the field last year that was our biggest problem...

The Popcorn
09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
These ESPN power rankings mean nothing right now. When you guys finish 8-8, you can look back and laugh at this.

Oaf
09-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Only one way up!

mrbojanglezs
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
John clayton is a tool bag

lets put it this way.....

ever listen to him talk? he says that every other sentence...annoying as ****

stuckincincy
09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
One receiver, no offensive line, your defense hinges entirely on a rookie and a broken down linebacker.

The Panthers and Bengals have issues at quarterback, the rest of their teams are fairly solid.

I can probably name 15-20 players (from each team) from Carolina and Cincy who would easily start in Buffalo.

Yep.

I harp on routinely, about CIN players that BUF should take a long look at. PS'ers DT Shirley and last years' 3rd, CB Ghee being the latest.

Everybody knows CIN's problem - the ownership. I can't think of any other team that would keep "Smilin' Jack" (Marvin Lewis) on board for 8 years...

YardRat
09-06-2011, 07:23 PM
:rofl: at Jax at #19. Hell they should drop below us just by virtue of cutting Garrad today.

We'll move up a half-dozen spots if we can manage to kick the bejesus out of KC this Sunday.

Mr. Miyagi
09-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Completely biased troll-type post. Commenting with total lack of knowledge about our team.

I would bet this poster wouldn't show up here ever again after we beat the stupid Chiefs in 5 days.

B-DON
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM

I'd bet you a million dollars u couldn't name 20 players off each of these teams without the help of google. Go away already. U know nothing about football except a few things here and there about the chiefs.

Mad Max
09-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Ya we know we suck. But in our forum we don't need a chiefs fan of all fans to come trolling. Because here's a hint for you, your team hasn't won sheet in about as long as the Bills havent won. Len Dawson's not walking through those doors.

Take a lesson from ickybaluky he's a pats fan who somehow usually doesn't troll. And we here hate the pats as much as chiefs fans hate the Raiders.

Yet he's welcome here because, you know, he doesnt act like a toolbox.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I could say the same for your team, with the exception of your defense relying on an old NT who was made to look better by the guys surrounding him in Baltimore and a LB who is virtually a rookie. And Weis is no longer around to C the O.

The Panthers will easily be the worst team, followed by the Bungles, Jags, and Colts (Manning won't play again this year, I'm betting). Then there's Miami, the 49'ers, Raiders, Broncos, Browns, Titans, Redskins, and oh yes, the Chefs.

gochiefs
09-06-2011, 11:06 PM
I could say the same for your team.

Are you kidding me?

The Chiefs have a secondary full of young studs, two outstanding linebackers, two good players on the defensive line and a rookie who is going to give your RT fits on Sunday.

Bowe, Breaston and Charles **** all over Buffalo's skill positions, and while the Chiefs don't have a great OL, compared to Buffalo's line they look like the 03 Chiefs.

Does a decade as the NFL's doormat result in dementia?

B-DON
09-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Are you kidding me?

The Chiefs have a secondary full of young studs, two outstanding linebackers, two good players on the defensive line and a rookie who is going to give your RT fits on Sunday.

Bowe, Breaston and Charles **** all over Buffalo's skill positions, and while the Chiefs don't have a great OL, compared to Buffalo's line they look like the 03 Chiefs.

Lol breaston? Cmon now. Dude has knee issues and you bums signed him to a 5 yr deal.

better days
09-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Are you kidding me?

If the Chiefs played in any division outside the West, they would have had a worse record than Buffalo for the last decade.

Mr. Miyagi
09-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Are you kidding me?

:rofl: Holy delusional.

FlyingDutchman
09-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Were the '03 Chiefs good or something?

Ickybaluky
09-07-2011, 08:27 AM

So, you are saying they have 9 good players on the team. Seems like you need more than that.

The Chiefs defense was ranked 14th in yardage and 11th in points in 2010. If you look at them, they are pretty much the same defense this year. That isn't bad, but you are trying to make them sound like the '85 Bears.

They are the same defense that gave up 30 to Baltimore, 31 to Oakland, 31 to San Diego, 49 to Denver and 35 to Houston. They are capable of being pretty good, but they are also capable of being pretty bad. I do think they have an advantage because this game is at home, but it isn't like they are an elite defense. They are a little above average.

As for the offense... Yikes. Their passing game is a shambles. They can run the ball, but that plays to the Bills strength this year and there is no certainty that Charles doesn't cough the ball up.

Bottom line is, you are in no position to talk trash to anyone.

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
So, you are saying they have 9 good players on the team. Seems like you need more than that.

The Chiefs defense was ranked 14th in yardage and 11th in points in 2010. If you look at them, they are pretty much the same defense this year. That isn't bad, but you are trying to make them sound like the '85 Bears..

I'm talking about KC's defense. It's chock full of young talent. Eric Berry, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Glenn Dorsey, Justin Houston....I could add in a couple of guys you have no idea about but I think 7 guys who are solid to borderline elite at their positions is enough.

Calling the Chiefs "the same defense" is ignorant. We added a much better nose tackle and two linebackers who can rush the passer. Those were our two biggest weaknesses on defense a year ago.

The Chiefs are a borderline top 10 defense right now. That is more than enough to eviscerate a team with a very poor offense that features only one legit NFL receiver and absolutely zero pass protection.

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Lol breaston? Cmon now. Dude has knee issues and you bums signed him to a 5 yr deal.

Breaston is better than every receiver on your team not named Stevie Johnson.

JoeMama
09-07-2011, 11:21 AM
The Bills might suck, but we're gonna be far, far away from the bottom dwellers.

We won't draft top ten this year, I promise you that. Mediocrity, she wrote. Here we come.

JoeMama
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM

You came here to tell us that, why?

Breaston was a garbage #3 in Zona, I can't help but wonder if you thought so highly of him back then.

Prolly not.

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Garbage #3s don't gain 2,400 yards in 3 years.

Breaston is a good slot receiver. I wanted him in FA this year.

B-DON
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
That could be true but you're talking about Breaston like he is elite and unstoppable. Let's see how he does with out fitzy before we call him anything above an avg dime a dozen slot receiver

B-DON
09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Garbage #3s don't gain 2,400 yards in 3 years.

Breaston is a good slot receiver. I wanted him in FA this year.
He had 1 really good season with warner at qb then a couple avg seasons. Take of the rose colored glasses and watch a few games besides chief games and you might just learn something

B-DON
09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Just an FYI for you gochiefs, above avg receivers like breaston tend to get more than his 1 td catch he caught last year. Just sayin........

Cleve
09-07-2011, 12:34 PM
ESPN just released their new power rankings. The Bills jumped over the Panthers to grab the 30th spot from their previous pre-season rankings.

Way to climb that ladder! Go Bills!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2011/week/1

I commented in another topic that, after 18 months or so of the Nix-Gailey Regime, we have VAULTED from 31 to 30 in the ESPN Power Rankings.

A quick mental calculation reveals that by the 2030-31 season, we should be in the top ten if the current rate of 'rebuilding' continues unchecked. :laughing:

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 12:35 PM
That could be true but you're talking about Breaston like he is elite and unstoppable.

No, I'm not.

He's not a dime a dozen slot receiver. He's easily one of the best slot receivers out there.

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Just an FYI for you gochiefs, above avg receivers like breaston tend to get more than his 1 td catch he caught last year. Just sayin........

Do you even realize he played with an awful QB and played with Larry Fitzgerald? He's not gonna catch a lot of TDs in that situation.

He wasn't even brought to KC to score TDs. He was brought in to get open and convert third downs...

Ickybaluky
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm talking about KC's defense. It's chock full of young talent. Eric Berry, Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Glenn Dorsey, Justin Houston....I could add in a couple of guys you have no idea about but I think 7 guys who are solid to borderline elite at their positions is enough.

Calling the Chiefs "the same defense" is ignorant. We added a much better nose tackle and two linebackers who can rush the passer. Those were our two biggest weaknesses on defense a year ago.

The Chiefs are a borderline top 10 defense right now. That is more than enough to eviscerate a team with a very poor offense that features only one legit NFL receiver and absolutely zero pass protection.

"chock full of young talent". There you go again being a fanboy. Every team in the NFL feels the same way about their guys.

KC's defense can be summed up thusly:

DL: Kelly Gregg is basically the same thing as Shaun Smith. Only now he is surrounded by Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey instead of Haloti Ngata and Corey Redding. When you look at the front-3, they are pretty much average.

LB: Johnson, Belcher and Hali are all real good players, but after that it tails off. Studebaker? He isn't a starter on a good team. They drafted Justin Houston, a great athlete with poor awareness and inconsistent effort. Color me unimpressed.

DB: I love Flowers, and Berry and Carr are real good players. After that? Arenas has great intangibles, but is really just a nickel in the NFL. Lewis? Daniels? Piscatelli? The depth isn't there.

They are a pretty good defense. They have a core of good players, but we aren't looking at the Steelers or Ravens here.

I look at the Chiefs and I see a team that took advantage of a soft schedule and overachieved. There is a ceiling on how good they are, though. They aren't elite, not even close.

Frankly, I think they are the 3rd-best team in their division. They really have problems offensively, which are apparent when you watch them in preseason. The Chiefs are going to struggle this year to score points, and that is going to have a negative effect on their record.

I'll tell you something else, the best coach in the division is in Denver right now, so they won't be the pushover they were a year ago.

Ickybaluky
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
No, I'm not.

He's not a dime a dozen slot receiver. He's easily one of the best slot receivers out there.

Out where? In your head? You realize guys like Wes Welker, Lance Moore, Davone Bess, Pierre Garcon and Percy Harvin line up in the slot, right?

Extremebillsfan247
09-07-2011, 01:04 PM

I can probably name 15-20 players (from each team) from Carolina and Cincy who would easily start in Buffalo.Ok, go...........

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Out where? In your head? You realize guys like Wes Welker, Lance Moore, Davone Bess, Pierre Garcon and Percy Harvin line up in the slot, right?

He's in their class.

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
"chock full of young talent". There you go again being a fanboy. Every team in the NFL feels the same way about their guys.

OK. So let's hear your evaluation:

LB: Johnson, Belcher and Hali are all real good players

DB: I love Flowers, and Berry and Carr are real good players.

They are a pretty good defense.

So basically, we agree.

The only thing we don't agree on is Glenn Dorsey. Not surprising, since no one in the league outside KC knows how good he is. He graded out as one of the top 3-4 ends in football last year on Pro Football Focus, and he led all 3-4 ends in tackles.

Justin Houston, by the way, has an elite first step and is going to be a beastly pass rusher this year. He's a first-round talent.

The other guy you didn't mention is Wallace Gilberry, who had 7 sacks last year and is going to get a big contract from a 4-3 team this coming offseason.

B-DON
09-07-2011, 04:37 PM
He's in their class.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Are you brain dead?

Let's look at three year cumulatives:

Wes Welker - 320 catches, 3,361 yards, 10.5 YPC
Steve Breaston - 179 catches, 2,436 yards, 13.6 YPC
Davone Bess - 209 catches, 2,132 yards, 10.2 YPC
Lance Moore - 159 catches, 1,844 yards, 11.5 YPC
Percy Harvin - 131 catches, 1,658 yards, 12.7 YPC (2 yrs)
Pierre Garcon - 118 catches, 1,572 yards, 13.3 YPC (2 yrs)

Breaston has more catches than anyone but Bess and Welker. He has more yards than anyone but Welker. He has the best yards per catch out of the entire group.

You want to break it down by game, hotshot?

Welker - 96 YPG
Breaston - 71.6 YPG
Harvin - 57.1 YPG
Garcon - 57.3 YPG
Moore - 47.2 YPG
Bess - 44.4 YPG

Looks like you don't know **** about the NFL outside of the football wasteland known as Buffalo.

Not to add insult to injury but did you get Steve Breaston confused with your dog**** excuse for a slot receiver named Roscoe Parrish? If I'm kind and take out his awful 2009 season, his last three years....26.5 YPG. WHOA!

Extremebillsfan247
09-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I just hope the Chiefs are good. I sure wouldn't want any excuses coming from Chiefs fans should they lose. That would be pathetic in my opinion. : ) Go Bills.

better days
09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Are you brain dead?

Let's look at three year cumulatives:

Wes Welker - 320 catches, 3,361 yards, 10.5 YPC
Steve Breaston - 179 catches, 2,436 yards, 13.6 YPC
Davone Bess - 209 catches, 2,132 yards, 10.2 YPC
Lance Moore - 159 catches, 1,844 yards, 11.5 YPC
Percy Harvin - 131 catches, 1,658 yards, 12.7 YPC (2 yrs)
Pierre Garcon - 118 catches, 1,572 yards, 13.3 YPC (2 yrs)

Breaston has more catches than anyone but Bess and Welker. He has more yards than anyone but Welker. He has the best yards per catch out of the entire group.

You want to break it down by game, hotshot?

Welker - 96 YPG
Breaston - 71.6 YPG
Harvin - 57.1 YPG
Garcon - 57.3 YPG
Moore - 47.2 YPG
Bess - 44.4 YPG

Looks like you don't know **** about the NFL outside of the football wasteland known as Buffalo.

Not to add insult to injury but did you get Steve Breaston confused with your dog**** excuse for a slot receiver named Roscoe Parrish? If I'm kind and take out his awful 2009 season, his last three years....26.5 YPG. WHOA!

OK so the Chiefs are a GREAT team. Well I guess the Bills make a BIG jump in the rankings when they beat the Chiefs Sunday.

paladin warrior
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
GOchiefs Chiefs TE Moeaki (knee) lost for the season (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/211715/chiefs-te-moeaki-(knee)-lost-for-the-season) and Baldwin misses Wednesday practice (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/212029/baldwin-misses-wednesday-practice), Matt Cassel cracked Rib injury , You lose

ServoBillieves
09-07-2011, 06:13 PM
This coming from the guy who said "Well I heard your team was doing this" without even seeing the team play.

Here are my blind predictions of the Chiefs!

Offense
Let's see... injured QB first game, I know Tyler Palko's family pretty well and do hope he does well but he's no Cassel, and that's saying something. Injured TE threat... yep that takes away the safety valve.

Breaston starting is hilarious. The O-Line looks pretty good except for the right side (sounds farmiliar doesn't it?). How's that Baldwin pick working in the Chiefs favor? I see a ton of castoff receivers with Bowe leading the way.

McClain, Jones, Charles, and McCluster is a great backfield... but who is taking away the 8 men in the box to stop them?

Defense
Front 3 looks OK
LB's... Hali is nasty, Johnson... then.. who?!
CB's: Flowers, Carr. Yep, great starting tandem, but who is covering the third and fourth receiver?
S: Got me there. Eric Berry's commercial really got me pumped for his good rookie season. Kendrick Lewis looks like a formidable foe with his 0 interceptions, FF, FR's, and 8 passes defended.

So let's rely on a great backfield with a backup QB, slot receivers and a "flashy" defense.

Since when does "running wins championships?"

gochiefs
09-07-2011, 06:38 PM
GOchiefs Chiefs TE Moeaki (knee) lost for the season (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/211715/chiefs-te-moeaki-(knee)-lost-for-the-season) and Baldwin misses Wednesday practice (http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/212029/baldwin-misses-wednesday-practice), Matt Cassel cracked Rib injury , You lose

Suck me.

If there was anything bothering QB Matt Cassel in the first part of Wednesday afternoon’s practice at the Chiefs facility, it wasn’t noticeable.

But once Cassel got up on his feet and start throwing the ball, he did so with more authority than he did in Monday’s practice. Working on play-action fundamentals with QB coach Jim Zorn, he seemed to move without being restricted in faking handoffs away from his body, movements that would certainly rile up a sore rib cage.

Later, Cassel was throwing some red zone passes and again, showed more zip on the ball than anything he displayed 48 hours before.

better days
09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Suck me.

Dareus & Merriman will rile up his rib cage for him.

B-DON
09-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Suck me.
Breastons only great year was with Warner fitz and boldin. Not bowe and a bunch of other scrubs. Harvin does much more than catch the ball unlike breaston. Not even a question which is better so try again. Since when does Garcon play the slot? Breaston is overpaid and on the verge of breaking down. Good luck with that. Id take Moore over him any day too. Still waiting for you tom name 20 bengals of the top of your head. Lol. Such a clown

paladin warrior
09-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Dareus & Merriman will rile up his rib cage for him. :laughing:

paladin warrior
09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Suck me. Yup you're right KC is suck