• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Nix on Shredd and Regan

Nix's comments:

Flat out says he has never been told he can't spend money. Ralph has never told him he can't spend.

Says he doesn't make a move because of money... always what's best for the team. Goes on to say that winning is what they think about, not saving money. If they don't win, they won't be here.

Says he actually talks Ralph out of spending money of big name guys.

Implies Lee cut was because he didn't fit the scheme... he's not strong at going over the middle.

Hang lacked strength to anchor at the point.

1 guy should backup the center and both guards... Geoff couldn't do that.

He doesn't do contract negotiations... Overdorf does. Overdorf is a lawyer.

Nix fields all the ideas on trades, Overdorf handles the contracts.

On Sam Young, Nix scouted and graded him coming out... as did Whaley and Delassandris... Smart and brings some nasty. Better run than pass blocker. Not great foot athlete. Finishes blocks.

Were not close to the cap. But were not trying to stay even with the cap.

On Poz, alludes that it was money... they didn't think he was worth what he got (paraphrasing).

Clabo played us to get more money... Nix said they didn't chase it too far once they caught on.

Much harder to cut to 53 this year... because the players and team is better.

Roosevelt was about the numbers plus they see Smith as a possibility.

Were better across the board on offense. Were much better in the offensive line.

The depth on the offensive line is not real good... Urbik, Brown, and Levitre could all backup at C. Only one backup OT and he's trying to backup at both sides. Young will be a backup at RT... Implies Hairston will be primarily a backup at LT to learn that spot.

Lee Smith will NOT be a OL. They like him as a blocker and is a little nasty.

On Jasper, he's a genetic freak. Can't get him to 350 with his body fat... he won't go down that far. He's played both OT and G. You don't want him to show up too good in preseason games.

We are a lot better on the D. Bigger and we used to get knocked around too much.

Dareus, tough kid, plays through hurts and nicks.

Watches the game in the press box.
    Last edited by X-Era; 09-06-2011, 05:14 PM.

• trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Nix on Shredd and Regan

nix is a lawyer, what does overdorf (sp?) tell him about money?

Nix: Nope, ralph never tells me to not spend money.
    interviewer: and overdorf? What does he say?
    Nix: oh, he is quite clear about not spending money. He told me that he'd withhold a paycheck when i said I wanted to shop Lee some more to see if we could get a better pick than a 4th rounder. when i saw he was serious about that halting my direct deposit, i let baltimore have him right away.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Actions speak louder than words Buddy!

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era
        Nix's comments:

Flat out says he has never been told he can't spend money. Ralph has never told him he can't spend.

Says he doesn't make a move because of money... always what's best for the team.

Says he actually talks Ralph out of spending money of big name guys.

Implies Lee cut was because he didn't fit the scheme... he's not strong at going over the middle.

Hang lacked strength to anchor at the point.

1 guy should backup the center and both guards... Geoff couldn't do that.

John Warwow a respected journalist said Overdorf was in charge of trades. I have said before I still believe Evans was a salary dump period. I am not buying he was traded for a 4th because he doesn't go over the middle.

I think Nix knows people are upset about that salary dump & is just trying to appease us. Well, I'm not buying it.
        Last edited by better days; 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
          • Jan 2010

I wish I listened to this interview, I listened to the one in the morning. EIther your filling in a lot of grey or he was much more forward then he usually is in interviews.

There is as lot of info there

Thanks for posting

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

This just in..............."Jaguars insist Garrard release was not about money."

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

Good stuff. Took on the tough issues and can't say I disagree with anything there.

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
                • Dec 2002

Nix's comments:

Nix fields all the ideas on trades, Overdorf handles the contracts.
                This is the same exact problem the government seems to be having in balancing the budget.

Can understand a lawyer dealing with wording of a specific contract but lawyers crunching numbers? WTF?!

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ChristopherWalken
                  This is the same exact problem the government seems to be having in balancing the budget.

Can understand a lawyer dealing with wording of a specific contract but lawyers crunching numbers? WTF?!
                  He's the guy in charge of the contracts. Crunching numbers is part of that job. I'm OK with it.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Watches the game in the press box.
                    He and Whaley sit behind us in the Maguire club in a suite.

I'm OK with his answers but we needs to see improvement and a serious commitment to improving the O next spring, after working on the D this year.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                      He and Whaley sit behind us in the Maguire club in a suite.

I'm OK with his answers but we needs to see improvement and a serious commitment to improving the O next spring, after working on the D this year.
                      Overall I like his candor and I believe that he believes what he's saying... But I feel he may be overvaluing our guys.

Comment

• wmoz11
                        • Sep 2008

Interesting, though not surprising, on Clabo.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

What no major conspiracy... Billszone will be so disappointed... but never fear one will be made up in 3....2...1...

Comment

• Billz_fan
                            • Jan 2003

He says this team is better. I cannot wait to see how it equates to W's during the season.
                            The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

Like I said, Evans was never valued highly by Gailey and Nix and it wasn't about a salary dump.

Comment

Working...
                              X