PDA

View Full Version : Nix on Shredd and Regan

X-Era
09-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Nix's comments:

Flat out says he has never been told he can't spend money. Ralph has never told him he can't spend.

Says he doesn't make a move because of money... always what's best for the team. Goes on to say that winning is what they think about, not saving money. If they don't win, they won't be here.

Says he actually talks Ralph out of spending money of big name guys.

Implies Lee cut was because he didn't fit the scheme... he's not strong at going over the middle.

Hang lacked strength to anchor at the point.

1 guy should backup the center and both guards... Geoff couldn't do that.

He doesn't do contract negotiations... Overdorf does. Overdorf is a lawyer.

Nix fields all the ideas on trades, Overdorf handles the contracts.

On Sam Young, Nix scouted and graded him coming out... as did Whaley and Delassandris... Smart and brings some nasty. Better run than pass blocker. Not great foot athlete. Finishes blocks.

Were not close to the cap. But were not trying to stay even with the cap.

On Poz, alludes that it was money... they didn't think he was worth what he got (paraphrasing).

Clabo played us to get more money... Nix said they didn't chase it too far once they caught on.

Much harder to cut to 53 this year... because the players and team is better.

Roosevelt was about the numbers plus they see Smith as a possibility.

Were better across the board on offense. Were much better in the offensive line.

The depth on the offensive line is not real good... Urbik, Brown, and Levitre could all backup at C. Only one backup OT and he's trying to backup at both sides. Young will be a backup at RT... Implies Hairston will be primarily a backup at LT to learn that spot.

Lee Smith will NOT be a OL. They like him as a blocker and is a little nasty.

On Jasper, he's a genetic freak. Can't get him to 350 with his body fat... he won't go down that far. He's played both OT and G. You don't want him to show up too good in preseason games.

We are a lot better on the D. Bigger and we used to get knocked around too much.

Dareus, tough kid, plays through hurts and nicks.

Watches the game in the press box.

trapezeus
09-06-2011, 04:44 PM
nix is a lawyer, what does overdorf (sp?) tell him about money?

Nix: Nope, ralph never tells me to not spend money.
interviewer: and overdorf? What does he say?
Nix: oh, he is quite clear about not spending money. He told me that he'd withhold a paycheck when i said I wanted to shop Lee some more to see if we could get a better pick than a 4th rounder. when i saw he was serious about that halting my direct deposit, i let baltimore have him right away.

Novacane
09-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Actions speak louder than words Buddy!

better days
09-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Nix's comments:

Flat out says he has never been told he can't spend money. Ralph has never told him he can't spend.

Says he doesn't make a move because of money... always what's best for the team.

Implies Lee cut was because he didn't fit the scheme... he's not strong at going over the middle.

Hang lacked strength to anchor at the point.

1 guy should backup the center and both guards... Geoff couldn't do that.

John Warwow a respected journalist said Overdorf was in charge of trades. I have said before I still believe Evans was a salary dump period. I am not buying he was traded for a 4th because he doesn't go over the middle.

I think Nix knows people are upset about that salary dump & is just trying to appease us. Well, I'm not buying it.

mrbojanglezs
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I wish I listened to this interview, I listened to the one in the morning. EIther your filling in a lot of grey or he was much more forward then he usually is in interviews.

There is as lot of info there

Thanks for posting

better days
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM
This just in..............."Jaguars insist Garrard release was not about money."

Oaf
09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Good stuff. Took on the tough issues and can't say I disagree with anything there.

ChristopherWalken
09-06-2011, 05:11 PM
Nix's comments:

Nix fields all the ideas on trades, Overdorf handles the contracts.

This is the same exact problem the government seems to be having in balancing the budget.

Can understand a lawyer dealing with wording of a specific contract but lawyers crunching numbers? WTF?!

X-Era
09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
This is the same exact problem the government seems to be having in balancing the budget.

Can understand a lawyer dealing with wording of a specific contract but lawyers crunching numbers? WTF?!He's the guy in charge of the contracts. Crunching numbers is part of that job. I'm OK with it.

Night Train
09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Watches the game in the press box.

He and Whaley sit behind us in the Maguire club in a suite.

I'm OK with his answers but we needs to see improvement and a serious commitment to improving the O next spring, after working on the D this year.

X-Era
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM

I'm OK with his answers but we needs to see improvement and a serious commitment to improving the O next spring, after working on the D this year.Overall I like his candor and I believe that he believes what he's saying... But I feel he may be overvaluing our guys.

wmoz11
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Interesting, though not surprising, on Clabo.

Thanks for posting.

ddaryl
09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
What no major conspiracy... Billszone will be so disappointed... but never fear one will be made up in 3....2...1...

Billz_fan
09-06-2011, 05:31 PM
He says this team is better. I cannot wait to see how it equates to W's during the season.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Like I said, Evans was never valued highly by Gailey and Nix and it wasn't about a salary dump.

Beebe's Kid
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
John Warwow a respected journalist said Overdorf was in charge of trades. I have said before I still believe Evans was a salary dump period. I am not buying he was traded for a 4th because he doesn't go over the middle.

I think Nix knows people are upset about that salary dump & is just trying to appease us. Well, I'm not buying it.
Warwow was handed his lunch by a poster on TBD, then he got all hurt in the ass when he was told that he has no access and never will.

Go over there and find the thread if you don't believe it, and read it for yourself. They all suck on Warwows teets, like he knows a damn thing. He is just a bitter "journalist" with no access to the subject he is supposed to cover.

camelcowboy
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Nix doesn't think Kelsey deserves a extention every year

CAbills
09-06-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm OK with his answers but we needs to see improvement and a serious commitment to improving the O next spring, after working on the D this year.

Said he sits in the press box for away games, own suite for home games.

madness
09-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Once again common sense outweighs all the garbage you read on a message board.

Extremebillsfan247
09-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Nix comes off as a guy who really is more of a consultant, and PR man, than a GM. That's what I got from that interview. Listened to it, and just something about his approach to those questions seemed more like an underhanded way of saying his hands are tied when it comes to the actual decisions on this franchise. JMO

Oaf
09-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Nix comes off as a guy who really is more of a consultant, and PR man, than a GM. That's what I got from that interview. Listened to it, and just something about his approach to those questions seemed more like an underhanded way of saying his hands are tied when it comes to the actual decisions on this franchise. JMO
Or that he's passing the buck?

Extremebillsfan247
09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Or that he's passing the buck?It's a possibility. Could have been an attempt at damage control. He's come under a lot of fire lately from local media personalities. JMO

better days
09-06-2011, 06:45 PM
It's a possibility. Could have been an attempt at damage control. He's come under a lot of fire lately from local media personalities. JMO

That is what I am saying he & the Bills are under fire, deservedly so.

better days
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM

He comes across as more of a HEAD scout to me. Has control of the draft & that is it.

Rustbelt
09-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't agree.

How can anyone be under fire without a single snap being played in year 2 of the Nix regime? Nix or anyone are not on the hotseat at all this year. You can't say Ralph is cheap and then expect him to cut and therefore pay multiple coaching staffs with multiple years remaining on their contracts.

I tend to agree with his entire philosophy of cultivating an organization instead of building it. Most dynasties built a core through drafting, adding to it with complementary free agents.

Just don't say Nix is feeling the pressure. This is a three year ride and won't feel it soonest by December.

better days
09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't agree.

How can anyone be under fire without a single snap being played in year 2 of the Nix regime? Nix or anyone are not on the hotseat at all this year. You can't say Ralph is cheap and then expect him to cut and therefore pay multiple coaching staffs with multiple years remaining on their contracts.

I tend to agree with his entire philosophy of cultivating an organization instead of building it. Most dynasties built a core through drafting, adding to it with complementary free agents.

Just don't say Nix is feeling the pressure. This is a three year ride and won't feel it soonest by December.

Nix is not feeling pressure from Ralph, he is feeling pressure from Bills FANS.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2011, 07:00 PM
On Jasper, he's a genetic freak. Can't get him to 350 with his body fat... he won't go down that far. He's played both OT and G. You don't want him to show up too good in preseason games.

"You don't want him to show up too good in preseason games."

What the hell does that mean? Did he really say that? Is he saying that they played him out of position all through camp so nobody would pick him up when they cut him? That is a little hard to believe.

Meathead
09-06-2011, 07:06 PM
really?!? thats what you come up with from his comments??

wow. no wonder so many fans are whineaholics

BLeonard
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
For anyone interested in listening to it, here's a link: http://www.wedg.com/goout.asp?u=/article.asp?id=2279113

-Bill

ghz in pittsburgh
09-06-2011, 07:28 PM
http://www.wedg.com/FlashPlayer/default.asp?SPID=22412&nID=2

Listen to it yourself.

The line I really like is that they have a harder time to cut down to 53 than last year - in fact I think Nix said last year they had no problem getting to 53. That means the overall talent is getting up, and I think the fact that they have more guys claimed by other teams than I ever remembered is a good indicator.

But they still need to hit home runs - drafting stars, or can I dream super stars. A few stars along with solid players is what playoff teams are made. Someone pointed out that the Pats had only 3 players remaining with the team from their 2006-2008 drafts despite the number of picks they had. Yet they average 12 wins a season since their last superbowl win. That's because they hit 3 super stars and a few stars in their earier drafts.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 07:29 PM

What the hell does that mean? Did he really say that? Is he saying that they played him out of position all through camp so nobody would pick him up when they cut him? That is a little hard to believe.
That's what he said and meant. In the part before that he said "we thought, and he thought too, that he was a better offensive player."

Oaf
09-06-2011, 07:36 PM
That's what he said and meant. In the part before that he said "we thought, and he thought too, that he was a better offensive player."
This doesn't make any sense.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 07:40 PM
This doesn't make any sense.
Makes more sense than believing he made it all up. Why would he lie?

Mr. Miyagi
09-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Salary cap dump makes no sense. Evans was due only 3+ million this year and we're way way under the cap.

I do believe what Nix said about Evans being a one-trick pony.

wmoz11
09-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Not to mention that we already paid his 1M roster bonus.

If it was purely money, we never would have paid that out.

BertSquirtgum
09-06-2011, 08:04 PM

they are still trying to sell out the rest of the games of course nix is going to lie about what's really going on in OBD

OpIv37
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Once again common sense outweighs all the garbage you read on a message board.

what common sense? We have no talent or depth on the OL, our LB's are depending on the health of a guy who hasn't been healthy in 3 years, our S lacks experience, our CB's have always been overrated.

The only part of this team that is improved is the DL. Everything else is equal or worse.

Just because Nix says he hasn't been told he can't spend and says we're better doesn't make it "common sense." In fact, common sense suggests just the opposite.

X-Era
09-06-2011, 08:11 PM

What the hell does that mean? Did he really say that? Is he saying that they played him out of position all through camp so nobody would pick him up when they cut him? That is a little hard to believe.He's implying they were being deceptive to keep the rest of the NFL from picking him up before they could put him on the PS.

OpIv37
09-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Salary cap dump makes no sense. Evans was due only 3+ million this year and we're way way under the cap.

I do believe what Nix said about Evans being a one-trick pony.

not a salary CAP dump. We were fine on cap room (and still are).

It was a pure SALARY dump, as in money in Ralph's pocket. That always makes sense. He's pocketing as much cash as he can before the cap floor kicks in, and avoiding long-term liabilities in case he decides to sell (or kicks off and his family has to sell).

wmoz11
09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
As big a Poz fan as I am/was, if anyone thinks our LB corps is worse now than it was, you're nuts.

At least we're relying on a guy that WAS good in Merriman as opposed to Keith freaking Ellison and Kawika Mitchell - who was crapped on by everyone here.

I mean, practically everyone thinks Barnett is an improvement over Poz. So are you all saying Keith Ellison was better than Merriman? How about adding Andra Davis?

Not that it's a particularly good comparison anyway when we were strictly a 4-3 tampa-2 team and now we're a 3-4.

X-Era
09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
not a salary CAP dump. We were fine on cap room (and still are).

It was a pure SALARY dump, as in money in Ralph's pocket. That always makes sense. He's pocketing as much cash as he can before the cap floor kicks in, and avoiding long-term liabilities in case he decides to sell (or kicks off and his family has to sell).In the end I think it's both. It's a salary dump but because they feel Evans main abilities don't fit well with their current offense.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 08:17 PM
what common sense? We have no talent or depth on the OL, our LB's are depending on the health of a guy who hasn't been healthy in 3 years, our S lacks experience, our CB's have always been overrated.

The only part of this team that is improved is the DL. Everything else is equal or worse.

Just because Nix says he hasn't been told he can't spend and says we're better doesn't make it "common sense." In fact, common sense suggests just the opposite.
The Bills are better everywhere, with the possible exception of the secondary (which stayed the same). Fitz got all the starting reps, unlike last year. The OL is better with Wood at center and a settled RT position. TE is upgraded with Chandler. RB is upgraded since Spiller has his rookie year behind him. And Smith add an X-factor on offense. DL is better and that will make the guys behind them better. But even without Merriman playing like his old self, the LB's are also better than last year. As for the secondary, it was addressed in the draft but will take some time before it improves.

OpIv37
09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Or that he's passing the buck?

does it matter? This organization is completely dysfunctional.

it's like trap said in another thread- Ralph has this org set up like a firing squad- there's always one blank so no one knows who really did the killing.

Either he's passing the buck or his hands are tied but the results are the same either way.

bf1
09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
So he earned the nickname bumbling buddy nix afterall.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
As big a Poz fan as I am/was, if anyone thinks our LB corps is worse now than it was, you're nuts.

At least we're relying on a guy that WAS good in Merriman as opposed to Keith freaking Ellison and Kawika Mitchell - who was crapped on by everyone here.

I mean, practically everyone thinks Barnett is an improvement over Poz. So are you all saying Keith Ellison was better than Merriman? How about adding Andra Davis?

Not that it's a particularly good comparison anyway when we were strictly a 4-3 tampa-2 team and now we're a 3-4.
Even compared to last year, the LB's are better. Kelsay has a clue now how to play OLB in a 3-4, Davis is healthy, Barnett is an upgrade over Poz, and Batten is better than Torbor/Mitchell/Ellis. If Merriman can return to form, watch out!

OpIv37
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM
The Bills are better everywhere, with the possible exception of the secondary (which stayed the same). Fitz got all the starting reps, unlike last year. The OL is better with Wood at center and a settled RT position. TE is upgraded with Chandler. RB is upgraded since Spiller has his rookie year behind him. And Smith add an X-factor on offense. DL is better and that will make the guys behind them better. But even without Merriman playing like his old self, the LB's are also better than last year. As for the secondary, it was addressed in the draft but will take some time before it improves.

lmao- the OL is a cluster****. I don't know how you can pretend to claim that they're better. Wood is an upgrade at C but it downgraded G when we moved him over, and the tackles are ****ing jokes.
QB- push
RB- push, I'd argue worse due to lack of depth, but for simplicity it's a push. Every year, someone says this nonsense about "rookie improvement" and every year it fails to materialize. It's a myth.
WR- worse. there is no way in hell we are better without Evans.

DL- agreed. Better
LB- Barnett is a slight improvement over Poz, that's it. We still have Kelsay's weak ass back there. This unit is going to look no different unless Merriman is Lights OUt.
Secondary- Agreed.

bf1
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Kelsay probably will improve from atrocious to horrible.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
lmao- the OL is a cluster****. I don't know how you can pretend to claim that they're better. Wood is an upgrade at C but it downgraded G when we moved him over, and the tackles are ****ing jokes.
QB- push
RB- push, I'd argue worse due to lack of depth, but for simplicity it's a push. Every year, someone says this nonsense about "rookie improvement" and every year it fails to materialize. It's a myth.
WR- worse. there is no way in hell we are better without Evans.

DL- agreed. Better
LB- Barnett is a slight improvement over Poz, that's it. We still have Kelsay's weak ass back there. This unit is going to look no different unless Merriman is Lights OUt.
Secondary- Agreed.
The OL is better. Wood and Bell are no longer feeling the effects of their injuries, unlike last year. Wood, now healthy, is at center. And Pears is a FAR better player at RT than what the Bills had there last year. And while you may believe Urbik is a downgrade, again remember Wood was still recovering last season.

QB definitely not a push. RB depth was no better after Lynch was traded after 4 games and 37 carries (a little over a game's worth). WR's lost Evans' 37 receptions for 578 yards and 4 TD's, when they lost TO's greater production from the year before and replaced it easily.

Barnett is a much bigger upgrade than you are admitting. Poz even admitted he wasn't comfortable in the 3-4 whereas Barnett had an excellent season in that defense with the Packers.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2011, 09:07 PM
He's implying they were being deceptive to keep the rest of the NFL from picking him up before they could put him on the PS.

That is completely asinine. Now he is saying it publicly? I guess he let the cat out of the bag. Kind of dumb, considering anyone can sign him off the practice squad anytime they want. He is a free agent. Any team can sign him if they want to offer him a roster spot.

So... they played a huge project out of position and stunted his growth so the rest of the NFL won't know what the Bills had and he could get him through waivers onto the practice squad. That trickster! Really pulled the wool over everyone's eyes!

Now he is going on the radio and telling the world about it. That doesn't sound ridiculous to you? Jasper is about as big a project as you will find, there was no danger anyone would offer him a roster spot. He is a big, athletic kid who has very little actual football ability. I guess you can say there is a chance he learns to play a position, but that isn't as easy as you think.

Besides, any team that hears this interview knows what the Bills are hiding now. So they can just sign him off the PS.

Meathead
09-06-2011, 09:09 PM
For anyone interested in listening to it, here's a link: http://www.wedg.com/goout.asp?u=/article.asp?id=2279113
-Bill
i like that they played redneck music for buddy when he came on

the song was titled 'gutter stomp'

perfect

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 09:20 PM
That is completely asinine. Now he is saying it publicly? I guess he let the cat out of the bag. Kind of dumb, considering anyone can sign him off the practice squad anytime they want. He is a free agent. Any team can sign him if they want to offer him a roster spot.

So... they played a huge project out of position and stunted his growth so the rest of the NFL won't know what the Bills had and he could get him through waivers onto the practice squad. That trickster! Really pulled the wool over everyone's eyes!

Now he is going on the radio and telling the world about it. That doesn't sound ridiculous to you? Jasper is about as big a project as you will find, there was no danger anyone would offer him a roster spot. He is a big, athletic kid who has very little actual football ability. I guess you can say there is a chance he learns to play a position, but that isn't as easy as you think.

Besides, any team that hears this interview knows what the Bills are hiding now. So they can just sign him off the PS.
You really think any team will sign him to their 53-man roster? And even if some team were to do that, the Bills would merely elevate him to their 53-man roster.

But again, I don't know why Nix would lie. It's not like he's a first or even second day draft pick.

justasportsfan
09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
it's obvious he doesnt think the ol has any depth. why do you think he brought in another blocking TE?

Ickybaluky
09-06-2011, 10:09 PM
You really think any team will sign him to their 53-man roster? And even if some team were to do that, the Bills would merely elevate him to their 53-man roster.

No, I don't, which is why the whole scenario he painted is silly. He is saying they were playing him on the DL to allow him to clear waivers so they could switch him to the OL. That is silly. The only thing dumber is that he then went on the radio to tell everyone about this big charade... all the while putting off his development to what they think is his best position. He is a project, he can't afford to wait.

BTW, You can't "elevate" players from the PS to the 53-man roster. They are free agents, free to sign with any team. Any team can offer them a contract, the only rules are:

1) A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club's next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).

2) Any team that signs a practice squad player must keep them on their roster for 3 weeks (including bye weeks).

The Bills, or any other team, don't hold any rights to PS players. They are free agents. Now, if another team were to offer Jasper a contract, the Bills could offer him one as well. Like any other FA, you can compete for his services. However, it is the players discretion which contract to take. Normally, players will stay with their original team because they already know the system and coaches. However, they don't have to, they can take any contract they are offered and the team that signed them to the PS have no contractual right, nor gets any compensation.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 10:29 PM
No, I don't, which is why the whole scenario he painted is silly. He is saying they were playing him on the DL to allow him to clear waivers so they could switch him to the OL. That is silly. The only thing dumber is that he then went on the radio to tell everyone about this big charade... all the while putting off his development to what they think is his best position. He is a project, he can't afford to wait.

BTW, You can't "elevate" players from the PS to the 53-man roster. They are free agents, free to sign with any team. Any team can offer them a contract, the only rules are:

1) A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club's next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).

2) Any team that signs a practice squad player must keep them on their roster for 3 weeks (including bye weeks).

The Bills, or any other team, don't hold any rights to PS players. They are free agents. Now, if another team were to offer Jasper a contract, the Bills could offer him one as well. Like any other FA, you can compete for his services. However, it is the players discretion which contract to take. Normally, players will stay with their original team because they already know the system and coaches. However, they don't have to, they can take any contract they are offered and the team that signed them to the PS have no contractual right, nor gets any compensation.
Considering there was a little more than a month before the switch was made, Jasper, who the Bills didn't expect much contribution from this year anyway, didn't miss much. If this had been a typical season, I'd agree with you, but even then, the Bills are looking longer-term with him.

As for the craziness of it, look at the guy (Lee Smith) the Bills picked-up from the Pats. The Pats cut him, expecting to put him on their PS, but the Bills signed him to their roster because they saw something in him they liked. All it takes is for ONE team to put in a claim after he's waived and he's gone, no ifs, ands, or buts. And the odds are infinitely higher a team would be willing to gamble a roster spot on a guy they've seen play a position in pre-season, versus one who hasn't.

Now if another team hears the interview (unlikely) and says "we gotta sign this guy because Buddy Nix tried to pull one over on us!" and the Bills sign him to the 53-man roster to prevent that from happening, it will all have been for naught. But it's worth the gamble.

Oaf
09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
You make some good points Goob, but in any case, can someone source the time Nix actually said that in the interview?

Prov401
09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm not too discouraged with our starting OL. It's the depth that's concerning to me. I'm feeling good about the year. I'm just as jerked off as most with all this money not being used, but I'm going to stick with Nix and co. 1 more season/off-season to see what they do with the cash.

This season, I'm hoping for improved QB play from Fitz. Spiller living up to the hype. Dareus and the DL getting pressure, and not letting guys run for 250 yards. Merriman staying healthy (the whole team for that matter), and Stevie J to maintain/improve on what he did last year. I'd also like to see another receiver step up, preferably Easley.

I really think we're an improved football team. However, we really are thin at some areas. If Fitz is lost, we are in the hunt for Luck, plain and simple. A few starters out on D, and we are in trouble. If Wood gets hurt, we're f'd.

Hoping for a WC birth (lol). Obviously, and realistically, a 6-10 - 8-8 record seems to be where our team is at. A solid 2012 draft, and a few key free agents, which is what I hope they are targeting with all this lute, and I think we'll have a bit more optimism with this regime.

sigh.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 10:55 PM
You make some good points Goob, but in any case, can someone source the time Nix actually said that in the interview?
It's near the end. As I mentioned earlier, Nix says "we thought, and Jasper thought as well, that he was a better offensive player." Which means that playing him at DT was a ruse.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Considering there was a little more than a month before the switch was made, Jasper, who the Bills didn't expect much contribution from this year anyway, didn't miss much. If this had been a typical season, I'd agree with you, but even then, the Bills are looking longer-term with him.

As for the craziness of it, look at the guy (Lee Smith) the Bills picked-up from the Pats. The Pats cut him, expecting to put him on their PS, but the Bills signed him to their roster because they saw something in him they liked. All it takes is for ONE team to put in a claim after he's waived and he's gone, no ifs, ands, or buts. And the odds are infinitely higher a team would be willing to gamble a roster spot on a guy they've seen play a position in pre-season, versus one who hasn't.

Now if another team hears the interview (unlikely) and says "we gotta sign this guy because Buddy Nix tried to pull one over on us!" and the Bills sign him to the 53-man roster to prevent that from happening, it will all have been for naught. But it's worth the gamble.

No, it is patently ridiculous. If you don't want to clear the guy through waivers, don't cut him. Keep him on the roster. When the Pats cut Smith, just like all the other guys cut, they knew he might get claimed. If they wanted to be sure they kept him, they wouldn't have waived him.

Second, the Bills still have no real rights to the guy. He is on their PS, but he is a FA. If a team tries to sign him, you can't just add him to the roster. You can offer him a contract as well, but it is his choice where to sign. He still is risking losing him, he doesn't have anymore control.

If this is true, if they had to feel they had to pull of this "ruse" to get him through waivers, then I question his competence. It isn't like this kid is anything more than a huge project. It seems like he should spend his time on more important matters.

Finally, the NFLPA and the player wouldn't happy about this. In theory, he is saying that they could have played Jasper at what they saw as his best position, but instead he hid him so he could clear him through waivers and add him to the PS. Doing that costs Jasper money. A PS player makes $5,700 per week, or $96,900 for a full season. Minimum salary for a roster player is $375,000. Why would Jasper, his agent, or the NFLPA want him to have a poorer chance at a roster spot?

Heck, the league office probably wouldn't be thrilled to think they are basically thumbing their noses at the rules on roster limits.

The whole thing is so silly it can't be true. They are trying Jasper at a new position because they see he isn't cut out for DL. He is blowing smoke about it on the radio because it keeps the Legend of Jasper alive. It is a tall tale, nothing more.

Goobylal
09-06-2011, 11:26 PM
No, it is patently ridiculous. If you don't want to clear the guy through waivers, don't cut him. Keep him on the roster. When the Pats cut Smith, just like all the other guys cut, they knew he might get claimed. If they wanted to be sure they kept him, they wouldn't have waived him.

Second, the Bills still have no real rights to the guy. He is on their PS, but he is a FA. If a team tries to sign him, you can't just add him to the roster. You can offer him a contract as well, but it is his choice where to sign. He still is risking losing him, he doesn't have anymore control.

If this is true, if they had to feel they had to pull of this "ruse" to get him through waivers, then I question his competence. It isn't like this kid is anything more than a huge project. It seems like he should spend his time on more important matters.

Finally, the NFLPA and the player wouldn't happy about this. In theory, he is saying that they could have played Jasper at what they saw as his best position, but instead he hid him so he could clear him through waivers and add him to the PS. Doing that costs Jasper money. A PS player makes $5,700 per week, or $96,900 for a full season. Minimum salary for a roster player is $375,000. Why would Jasper, his agent, or the NFLPA want him to have a poorer chance at a roster spot?

Heck, the league office probably wouldn't be thrilled to think they are basically thumbing their noses at the rules on roster limits.

The whole thing is so silly it can't be true. They are trying Jasper at a new position because they see he isn't cut out for DL. He is blowing smoke about it on the radio because it keeps the Legend of Jasper alive. It is a tall tale, nothing more.
Talk about patently ridiculous!

mikemac2001
09-07-2011, 12:40 AM
jasper is the ****ing man long live jasper he is the king of giants

X-Era
09-07-2011, 06:09 AM

Besides, any team that hears this interview knows what the Bills are hiding now. So they can just sign him off the PS.It's a little ridiculous I agree. But, I don't think it's that big of a deal considering it's Buddy Nix on the Shredd and Regan show... You have to remember as a Pats fan, you live in a different world. If it were Belicheck on ESPN it would be much more news worthy... You guys are way more relevant.

As a Bills fan it's sad but true.

Extremebillsfan247
09-07-2011, 06:40 AM
really?!? thats what you come up with from his comments??

wow. no wonder so many fans are whineaholicsSomeone wanted an objective opinion. I merely provided one. Whining is something you do when you can't get what you want, or when things don't go your way. An interview of Nix, or my opinion of his comments have nothing to do with whining.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
09-07-2011, 07:43 AM
I like that Buddy talked about a player being nasty, and "we need more of that". Before, all I would hear about is we need players with good character from the old regimes.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
09-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Just wondering, did you form your opinion off of X-Era paraphrasing or from the actual interview?

mysticsoto
09-07-2011, 07:54 AM
Someone should ask Nix why he continues to make claims that this Oline is fine while his coach (who works with the actual players) thinks it's ****!!!

madness
09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
It's a wonder why posters continue to clamor for short term solutions. Aren't we tired of the past approach of plugging the damn's holes with fingers instead of rebuilding from the foundation up? Yes, we are all really tired of losing but I'd rather take the time necessary to do this right then try squander half-spoiled fruit just to win this season.

No one should be second guessing how defense, especially the DL, was the weakest link on this team and in the 2nd season it's already possible we could see a vast improvement this year. To me, this season is an immediate success if we can actually stop the run and improve toward a top 15 defense. Three of our first four games feature a run heavy offense so we will have a quick gauge on our defensive roster upgrades.

As for the OL, a little patience will be required. The current crop obviously won't be a dominate group but as long as they bring the nasty in the run game and keep Fitz off his back, it will be considered a success until we can finally address it in the same fashion as the DL.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 08:58 AM
It's a wonder why posters continue to clamor for short term solutions. Aren't we tired of the past approach of plugging the damn's holes with fingers instead of rebuilding from the foundation up? Yes, we are all really tired of losing but I'd rather take the time necessary to do this right then try squander half-spoiled fruit just to win this season.

No one should be second guessing how defense, especially the DL, was the weakest link on this team and in the 2nd season it's already possible we could see a vast improvement this year. To me, this season is an immediate success if we can actually stop the run and improve toward a top 15 defense. Three of our first four games feature a run heavy offense so we will have a quick gauge on our defensive roster upgrades.

As for the OL, a little patience will be required. The current crop obviously won't be a dominate group but as long as they bring the nasty in the run game and keep Fitz off his back, it will be considered a success until we can finally address it in the same fashion as the DL.

First, if we're rebuilding from the foundation up, why wait a year to ditch Whitner, Poz and Evans? Those guys took reps from the young guys last year, and now we're not as far along as we could be.

Second, they re-signed Kelsay and they're talking about re-signing Parrish. These are not moves that are indicative of rebuilding from the foundation up.

Third, I don't know how you can continue to ask for patience from this fan base. It's been 10 ****ing years since this team has done anything. Yes, I know, the current FO isn't responsible for the mess, and yes, I know, it takes time to clean up the mess of the last regime. But this is the 4th time in a decade we've heard that rhetoric. The reality may be that it takes time to fix the OL, but it's absurd to expect patience at this point. Fans have every right to be upset about it.

methos4ever
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
First, if we're rebuilding from the foundation up, why wait a year to ditch Whitner, Poz and Evans? Those guys took reps from the young guys last year, and now we're not as far along as we could be.

Second, they re-signed Kelsay and they're talking about re-signing Parrish. These are not moves that are indicative of rebuilding from the foundation up.

Third, I don't know how you can continue to ask for patience from this fan base. It's been 10 ****ing years since this team has done anything. Yes, I know, the current FO isn't responsible for the mess, and yes, I know, it takes time to clean up the mess of the last regime. But this is the 4th time in a decade we've heard that rhetoric. The reality may be that it takes time to fix the OL, but it's absurd to expect patience at this point. Fans have every right to be upset about it.
That's absolutely true Op - but, what does complaining about it here do? Is it cathartic? Because it seems a post comes up, people get riled up how this reinforces how much the Bills suck and then move on to the next thing. Frustration's warranted, but the torches and pitchforks get passed around quicker than I've ever seen now!

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
That's absolutely true Op - but, what does complaining about it here do? Is it cathartic? Because it seems a post comes up, people get riled up how this reinforces how much the Bills suck and then move on to the next thing. Frustration's warranted, but the torches and pitchforks get passed around quicker than I've ever seen now!

that's pretty much what I'm saying though- the patience has worn thin. It's no big secret that my patience ran out years ago and I've been ranting on this site ever since. Other people took a more relaxed and more patient approach, but at this point a lot of them have reached their wit's end and just can't stomach the "it takes time to fix the last regime's mistake" excuse like they could 4 years ago, 6 years ago or 8 years ago.

What you're seeing with the torches and pitchforks is the frustration of a fan base that has finally had enough.

madness
09-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Who exactly did Whitner, Poz, Evans take reps from? I'm pretty sure somebody has to step up (our young WR's did last year, Evans is now gone... how is that so complicated to understand?) or actually physically be on the roster to warrant that claim. Less than 10 players are left that have been on this roster since 2007. Less than 20 actually played for Jauron and of the 53 players currently on Buffalo's roster, 40 are players that Nix and Gailey have either acquired themselves, or inherited players that they've made serious commitments to. Maybe people would be more content with previous players like Ellison and such.

Kelsay was nothing but a warm body at that point and as soon as he can be replaced, he will. Our young players still need to earn their keep... if you disagree, maybe we can bring Jauron back.

You're fooling yourself if don't think Parrish can be a key player in this offense. Obviously his health is a concern but when healthy, Gailey's proven how dangerous he can be and KC won't need a reminder come Sunday.

I'm not asking anybody for patience as for it is taken, not given. You can choose to kick and scream like a little child or you can be calm, patient and accept reality. Be my guest to decide which path you take. Somebody eventually will be able to right the ship and for once we actually have a tandem coach & GM who looks like they might actually have a clue over what we had with past regimes.

Goobylal
09-07-2011, 09:36 AM
It's a little ridiculous I agree. But, I don't think it's that big of a deal considering it's Buddy Nix on the Shredd and Regan show... You have to remember as a Pats fan, you live in a different world. If it were Belicheck on ESPN it would be much more news worthy... You guys are way more relevant.

As a Bills fan it's sad but true.
If Belicheat did this, the media would be talking about his genius. Yes, sad but true.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Who exactly did Whitner, Poz, Evans take reps from? I'm pretty sure somebody has to step up (our young WR's did last year, Evans is now gone... how is that so complicated to understand?) or actually physically be on the roster to warrant that claim. Less than 10 players are left that have been on this roster since 2007. Less than 20 actually played for Jauron and of the 53 players currently on Buffalo's roster, 40 are players that Nix and Gailey have either acquired themselves, or inherited players that they've made serious commitments to. Maybe people would be more content with previous players like Ellison and such.

Kelsay was nothing but a warm body at that point and as soon as he can be replaced, he will. Our young players still need to earn their keep... if you disagree, maybe we can bring Jauron back.

You're fooling yourself if don't think Parrish can be a key player in this offense. Obviously his health is a concern but when healthy, Gailey's proven how dangerous he can be and KC won't need a reminder come Sunday.

I'm not asking anybody for patience as for it is taken, not given. You can choose to kick and scream like a little child or you can be calm, patient and accept reality. Be my guest to decide which path you take. Somebody eventually will be able to right the ship and for once we actually have a tandem coach & GM who looks like they might actually have a clue over what we had with past regimes.

Who did Poz, Whitner and Evans take reps from? Batten, Moats, Donald Jones, Huggins, Wilson- you know, the guys who will be playing in their place, almost all of whom were on the roster last year.

Parrish looked good in this O last year but Lee is a much better WR overall and has accomplished much more in his career. All the reasons for keeping Parrish could be used to justify keeping Lee, and all the reasons for ditching Lee could also be used to justify ditching Parrish.

Accept reality? The reality is that this FO- the CURRENT one- has made plenty of mistakes and seems to lack any real plan. The reality is that this OL is a cluster**** and will get Fitzpatrick killed. The reality is that after two off-seasons of this staff, the only clear improvement has been on the DL- and right now, that improvement is still only on paper. While I agree that they should be better once the game starts, there is no guarantee. The reality is that this team sits at $20 million below the salary cap, yet still has glaring holes. And yet, somehow you conclude that they actually have a clue? What?

Call it "kicking and screaming" all you want. Be "calm and patient" all you want. You're still going to get kicked in the nuts on Sunday afternoons once the games start.

madness
09-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Who did Poz, Whitner and Evans take reps from? Batten, Moats, Donald Jones, Huggins, Wilson- you know, the guys who will be playing in their place, almost all of whom were on the roster last year.

Parrish looked good in this O last year but Lee is a much better WR overall and has accomplished much more in his career. All the reasons for keeping Parrish could be used to justify keeping Lee, and all the reasons for ditching Lee could also be used to justify ditching Parrish.

Accept reality? The reality is that this FO- the CURRENT one- has made plenty of mistakes and seems to lack any real plan. The reality is that this OL is a cluster**** and will get Fitzpatrick killed. The reality is that after two off-seasons of this staff, the only clear improvement has been on the DL- and right now, that improvement is still only on paper. While I agree that they should be better once the game starts, there is no guarantee. The reality is that this team sits at $20 million below the salary cap, yet still has glaring holes. And yet, somehow you conclude that they actually have a clue? What?

Call it "kicking and screaming" all you want. Be "calm and patient" all you want. You're still going to get kicked in the nuts on Sunday afternoons once the games start.
Batten, Moats, Donald Jones, Huggins, Wilson - So we should have just knew they would step up last year and should have just handed over 1st team reps immediately from the start knowing full well what the future beheld?

Yes, because I have unreasonable expectations that I'll be watching an above .500 team. In fact, I fully expect to get kicked in the nuts every time I watch a Mets ballgame because deep down in my heart I just know they are going to pull out the next one out. <--- sarcasm

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Batten, Moats, Donald Jones, Huggins, Wilson - So we should have just knew they would step up last year and should have just handed over 1st team reps immediately from the start knowing full well what the future beheld?

Yes, because I have unreasonable expectations that I'll be watching an above .500 team. In fact, I fully expect to get kicked in the nuts every time I watch a Mets ballgame because deep down in my heart I just know they are going to pull out the next one out. <--- sarcasm

No. They should have known that Poz, Whitner and Evans weren't part of the future, let the young guys play, and see who rose to the challenge and who didn't. Instead, we started rebuilding this year instead of last year.

Also, if we did that, we may have gotten something for Poz or Whitner instead of letting them walk for nothing. I was never a fan of either player, but the Jags gave Poz a ****load of money and Whitner pulled the "Cleveland, whoops, I mean, SF" deal, so clearly there was interest in both players.

I don't know why we defend our FO for taking a full season to do what most teams can easily accomplish in one off-season.

psubills62
09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Batten - the guy on IR.
Moats - the guy who...played.
Jones - the undrafted rookie - because that would have been a good idea?
Huggins - the guy who will never be more than roster stash; was he even on the official roster last year?
Wilson - the guy who has tons of experience already.

Seriously, this is the group that Poz, Whitner, and Evans were keeping down? Funny that people argue about how the organization doesn't want to "win now" but then turn around and argue that they were stupid to not sacrifice a season and play the young guys instead of the better guys (in the case of Evans and Poz - still don't think Whitner is better than Wilson).

bf1
09-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Sounds like Buddy is a talent evaluator only. Seems all other important GM responsibilities are handled by others (cap, contracts). I think he's in over his head.

madness
09-07-2011, 10:13 AM
No. They should have known that Poz, Whitner and Evans weren't part of the future, let the young guys play, and see who rose to the challenge and who didn't. Instead, we started rebuilding this year instead of last year.

Also, if we did that, we may have gotten something for Poz or Whitner instead of letting them walk for nothing. I was never a fan of either player, but the Jags gave Poz a ****load of money and Whitner pulled the "Cleveland, whoops, I mean, SF" deal, so clearly there was interest in both players.

I don't know why we defend our FO for taking a full season to do what most teams can easily accomplish in one off-season.

I don't know what FO doesn't still at least try to win while rebuilding. Should we cut Fitz and start Brown while we're at it?

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Batten - the guy on IR.
Moats - the guy who...played.
Jones - the undrafted rookie - because that would have been a good idea?
Huggins - the guy who will never be more than roster stash; was he even on the official roster last year?
Wilson - the guy who has tons of experience already.

Seriously, this is the group that Poz, Whitner, and Evans were keeping down? Funny that people argue about how the organization doesn't want to "win now" but then turn around and argue that they were stupid to not sacrifice a season and play the young guys instead of the better guys (in the case of Evans and Poz - still don't think Whitner is better than Wilson).

WE WERE 4-12! WE DRAFTED 3rd!

What exactly would have been sacrificed?

Instead, they sacrificed this season to keep those guys around.

And we're playing the young guys instead of the better guys this year anyway, so what difference would it have made if we did it in a season where we ended up 4-12? There is no logic in your post whatsoever.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I don't know what FO doesn't still at least try to win while rebuilding. Should we cut Fitz and start Brown while we're at it?

Is Fitz a mediocre 4-3 defender trying to be crammed into a 3-4 like Poz and Whitner were? Is Fitz a one-trick pony WR who won't go over the middle?

Did we ditch Fitz this year anyway?

I see you've gone to the justasportsfan school of debating. Not all situations are the same.

justasportsfan
09-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Bwahaha.I was staying out of your agument but looks like someone misses me.

I see you've gone to the justasportsfan school of debating. Not all situations are the same.

you were my first graduate see next post.

talk about not all situations are the same :roflmao:

Stick with your Crybaby academy where all they teach you is to cry "Waaah, I hate POZ. He's slightly above average. NO he sucks " POz leaves for Jags "Waaah our FO Failed to resign him, Waaah"

I'll just REPEAT this about your argument

They should have known that Kyle WIlliams was not a fit like YOU SAID HE wasn't. How did that turn out? Yeah don't give me that he was just one player, blah,blah,blah.Don't tell me that he's playing a different position which makes it a different situation either. YOU WERE WRONG. You don't go around getting rid of players without having your NEW coach see what he inherited PERIOD. BB didn't get rid of all his players when he inherited Drew and co. in his first year.

Goobylal
09-07-2011, 10:46 AM

No one, and I mean no one, was going to trade for Whitner OR Poz, much less with a year left on their deals. They did end-up trading Evans.

As for knowing they weren't in the long-range plans, Evans missed the last 3 games, so the Bills got to see his replacement(s). Whitner's replacement was already known (Wilson) and they drafted Sheppard in the 2nd for a reason, not that they didn't add a better player in Barnett.

psubills62
09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
WE WERE 4-12! WE DRAFTED 3rd!

What exactly would have been sacrificed?

Instead, they sacrificed this season to keep those guys around.

And we're playing the young guys instead of the better guys this year anyway, so what difference would it have made if we did it in a season where we ended up 4-12? There is no logic in your post whatsoever.
Where are we playing the young guys instead of the better guys this year?

So basically...winning now doesn't count if we don't win very much. If that's the case, I'm having a very, very hard time understanding why you're so pissed about not winning now this year. Very few people expect this team to even reach 0.500, so why exactly do we need to be in win now mode?

How many times do I have to tell you that throwing young players out onto the field is not the only way to develop them. I don't understand why you clutch tightly to that thought despite the massive pile of evidence that says players can develop without necessarily seeing much playing time.

better days
09-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I listened to the Shredd & Ragan podcast this morning. Here are some important points I did not see in this thread.

1. Nix said he did not like to negotiate & was a poor negotiator.

2. Nix said Overdorf was in charge of all negotiations including trades because of the above.

Well, here is a clue for you Buddy, when it comes to trades, Overdorf is as poor a negotiator as you. It is time to turn trades over to Doug Whaley.

bf1
09-07-2011, 12:00 PM
He's not a real GM then. What a ***** joke.

OpIv37
Bwahaha.I was staying out of your agument but looks like someone misses me.

you were my first graduate see next post.

talk about not all situations are the same :roflmao:

Stick with your Crybaby academy where all they teach you is to cry "Waaah, I hate POZ. He's slightly above average. NO he sucks " POz leaves for Jags "Waaah our FO Failed to resign him, Waaah"

I'll just REPEAT this about your argument

They should have known that Kyle WIlliams was not a fit like YOU SAID HE wasn't. How did that turn out? Yeah don't give me that he was just one player, blah,blah,blah.Don't tell me that he's playing a different position which makes it a different situation either. YOU WERE WRONG. You don't go around getting rid of players without having your NEW coach see what he inherited PERIOD. BB didn't get rid of all his players when he inherited Drew and co. in his first year.

We've been over the Poz thing- I'm not going to re-hash it.

Willilams: once again, using the exception to prove the rule. Maybe, just MAYBE, a professional talent evaluator like Nix who was already around the team for a year before he became GM should KNOW that KW might work in a 3-4 but Whitner and Poz wouldn't. But hey, why should we hold our talent evaluators to professional standards? Let's just let them piss seasons away....

Buddy Nix had tons of game film on these guys AND personal experience with them for a year before he became GM. There is no good reason why he should take a year to evaluate talent PERIOD.

DraftBoy
I really dont understand why or how Overdorf is involved in trade negotiations.

If you're too lazy to do the job then quit.

bf1
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Bumbling ****ing Buddy Nix.

bf1
09-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I have to listen to this myself.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Where are we playing the young guys instead of the better guys this year?

So basically...winning now doesn't count if we don't win very much. If that's the case, I'm having a very, very hard time understanding why you're so pissed about not winning now this year. Very few people expect this team to even reach 0.500, so why exactly do we need to be in win now mode?

How many times do I have to tell you that throwing young players out onto the field is not the only way to develop them. I don't understand why you clutch tightly to that thought despite the massive pile of evidence that says players can develop without necessarily seeing much playing time.

Last year was the FIRST year of rebuilding. It should have been treated as such, then we could use this year as the SECOND year of rebuilding.

Instead, last year was treated as an extended preseason evaluation period and this year is being treated as the FIRST year of rebuilding.

No one expected anything last year. The only thing that should be expected this year is improvement, but instead we're too busy doing the breaking down that we should have done last year. And I never even brought "winning now" into this discussion so I'm having a very hard time understanding why you think I'm so pissed off about it.

And I don't care how many times you tell me that players are going to get better sitting on the bench watching guys that we didn't even think were worth keeping on our 4-12 team. You saying it over and over again doesn't constitute a "massive pile of evidence." I'm not going to believe it.

better days
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
He's not a real GM then. What a ***** joke.

No he isn't. Like I said before, he is really just a Head Scout. But he is a VERY GOOD head Scout.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
No one, and I mean no one, was going to trade for Whitner OR Poz, much less with a year left on their deals. They did end-up trading Evans.

As for knowing they weren't in the long-range plans, Evans missed the last 3 games, so the Bills got to see his replacement(s). Whitner's replacement was already known (Wilson) and they drafted Sheppard in the 2nd for a reason, not that they didn't add a better player in Barnett.

Well, I think you're wrong about the trade, but that's not the main point anyway. The point is that other guys would have gotten their reps and we'd be better off now because of it.

And I meant they should have known they were not in the long range plans before LAST year, especially in the case of Whitner since his replacement was already on the roster and already had some starts.

justasportsfan
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
We've been over the Poz thing- I'm not going to re-hash it..
just proving you cry just to cry

Willilams: once again, using the exception to prove the rule. Maybe, just MAYBE, a professional talent evaluator like Nix who was already around the team for a year before he became GM should KNOW that KW might work in a 3-4 but Whitner and Poz wouldn't. But hey, why should we hold our talent evaluators to professional standards? Let's just let them piss seasons away.... .
knew you'd make an excuse because it proves that you don't piss away what you inherit without even asking your coach to decide what to do with them. BB did it same with every coach in the league.

Buddy Nix had tons of game film on these guys AND personal experience with them for a year before he became GM. There is no good reason why he should take a year to evaluate talent PERIOD.
BB didn't only have tape on Drew, Drew was his qb but he didn't know himself that Brady should have been his qb all along until he saw the field. You're arguing again with BB.

better days
09-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I really dont understand why or how Overdorf is involved in trade negotiations.

If you're too lazy to do the job then quit.

Listen to the Shredd & Ragan podcast, maybe it will help you understand. Aside from what I posted before, Nix also said he did not like paperwork. He said Overdorf took care of all negotiations & all the paperwork because he did not want that task.

That was probably the deal when Ralph hired him. Nix could concentrate on evaluating players, the draft & Overdorf would handle everything else.

DraftBoy
09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Listen to the Shredd & Ragan podcast, maybe it will help you understand. Aside from what I posted before, Nix also said he did not like paperwork. He said Overdorf took care of all negotiations & all the paperwork because he did not want that task.

That was probably the deal when Ralph hired him. Nix could concentrate on evaluating players, the draft & Overdorf would handle everything else.

Let me rephrase its not that I dont understand how it works, I dont understand how we could be so foolish as to do it.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 12:17 PM
just proving you cry just to cry

knew you'd make an excuse because it proves that you don't piss away what you inherit without even asking your coach to decide what to do with them. BB did it same with every coach in the league.

BB didn't only have tape on Drew, Drew was his qb but he didn't know himself that Brady should have been his qb all along until he saw the field. You're arguing again with BB.

If you think the FO trying to re-sign a player and failing has anything to do with me or my perceived "crying," then you are personalizing it and not looking at the team objectively.

If you think BB not knowing what he had in Brady has ANYTHING to do with Nix and Gailey being able to evaluate Poz, Evans and Whitner, you are grossly mistaken. You are taking something that happened to BB one time and trying to apply it to every player in every situation in the league. It's ridiculous.

madness
09-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Whitner's replacement was just drafted this year.

Bill Cody
09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I listened to the Shredd & Ragan podcast this morning. Here are some important points I did not see in this thread.

1. Nix said he did not like to negotiate & was a poor negotiator.

2. Nix said Overdorf was in charge of all negotiations including trades because of the above.

Well, here is a clue for you Buddy, when it comes to trades, Overdorf is as poor a negotiator as you. It is time to turn trades over to Doug Whaley.

I saw where 2 time Pro Bowler and former 1st round pick Brandon Merriweather got RELEASED by the Pats. Bellichick couldn't even secure a 7th round pick for him. If you can't see the landscape on trades in the NFL has changed it's because you aren't paying attention or because it doesn't fit your narrative.

DraftBoy
09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Whitner's replacement was drafted this year.

Please tell me you don't mean Searcy.

Bill Cody
09-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Whitner's replacement was just drafted this year.

So was Poz's but so what OP is rolling to no sense whineland.

better days
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Let me rephrase its not that I dont understand how it works, I dont understand how we could be so foolish as to do it.

I think you mean Ralph. Well, here is what I think. Ralph knows Nix & thinks he is a good evaluator of talent. Maybe one of the very best in the NFL. Nix however at retirement age, had no ambition to take on all the mundane duties required of a GM. Ralph therefore gave him carte blanche to delegate as he saw fit.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
So was Poz's but so what OP is rolling to no sense whineland.

Could have sworn Moats and Batten were on the teal last year.

Silly me.

"No sense whineland." Ha. Every year someone says this, and every year when the games start, we suck and the overwhelming majority of what I said proves to be perfectly legitimate complaints.

You will see in time.

justasportsfan
09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
If you think the FO trying to re-sign a player and failing has anything to do with me or my perceived "crying," then you are personalizing it and not looking at the team objectively. .

WRONG. Rather than percieving the POZ situation as the FO not willing to OVERPAY Poz, you would rather say THEY FAILED just to feed off your crying. You are findign fault in something that resulted in something you were in favor of. You're crying just to cry .

If you think BB not knowing what he had in Brady has ANYTHING to do with Nix and Gailey being able to evaluate Poz, Evans and Whitner, you are grossly mistaken. You are taking something that happened to BB one time and trying to apply it to every player in every situation in the league. It's ridiculous.

Look who can't see the forrest from the trees. What I said proves that successful COACHES just don't dump players until they have seen them play themselves. I was merely using BB as an example because he's a successful coach that you are arguing with. One time? Every coach that inherits a team does it.

psubills62
09-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Last year was the FIRST year of rebuilding. It should have been treated as such, then we could use this year as the SECOND year of rebuilding.

Instead, last year was treated as an extended preseason evaluation period and this year is being treated as the FIRST year of rebuilding.
No, it's not being treated as the first year of rebuilding. We've spent two years getting talent and spent a year developing it. This year is the second - when a lot of those young guys are going to start contributing significantly.

No one expected anything last year. The only thing that should be expected this year is improvement, but instead we're too busy doing the breaking down that we should have done last year. And I never even brought "winning now" into this discussion so I'm having a very hard time understanding why you think I'm so pissed off about it.
What breaking down, exactly? They kept a few guys on to help transition the roster, and now they're gone in free agency and trade.

I believe you've been *****ing about win now stuff in other threads. If that wasn't you, then I shouldn't have brought it up.

And I don't care how many times you tell me that players are going to get better sitting on the bench watching guys that we didn't even think were worth keeping on our 4-12 team. You saying it over and over again doesn't constitute a "massive pile of evidence." I'm not going to believe it.
Of course me saying it doesn't constitute as the massive pile of evidence. However, the examples from other teams do, specifically Steelers and Ravens. Look at Terrence Cody - played very, very little last year, now he's projected as the starter. Look at Evander Hood - barely played at all his first two years, turned in a great performance in the playoffs and will be the starter at DE. Look at Aubrayo Franklin - played maybe 3 games his first two years in the league, then became a top 3-4 NT. Look at Ahtyba Rubin - didn't play his first 1.5 years in the league, forced into duty due to injury and turned out to be a top NT. Look at Lawrence Timmons, LB, didn't play for a while, now is a top ILB. There's plenty more players that have developed on the bench, those are just off the top of my head.

So tell me again why players can't develop on the bench. Playing time is not the only way to develop young players.

better days
09-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I saw where 2 time Pro Bowler and former 1st round pick Brandon Merriweather got RELEASED by the Pats. Bellichick couldn't even secure a 7th round pick for him. If you can't see the landscape on trades in the NFL has changed it's because you aren't paying attention or because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Well, you make a good point. I realize 1st rnd picks are now at a premium because of the new rookie cap, but to think it affects everything if true will have a great impact on the league.

I still think the Bills should have received more for Lynch before the new CBA was in place so my opinion of Overdorfs negotiating will remain the same.

madness
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Please tell me you don't mean Searcy.

If you insist.

justasportsfan
09-07-2011, 12:35 PM
BTW...

If you think the FO trying to re-sign a player and failing has anything to do with me or my perceived "crying," then you are personalizing it and not looking at the team objectively.

what the crap was this about?

Talk about personalizing things. I wasn't even part of your conversation til this. So stop accusing people of things you do. It's just making you look stupid aside from your whining.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 12:37 PM
WRONG. Rather that percieving the POZ situation as the FO not willing to OVERPAY Poz, you would rather say THEY FAILED just to feed off your crying. You are findign fault in something that resulted in something you were in favor of. You're crying just to cry .

So they didn't overpay for Poz. What did they do with the money they saved? NOTHING.

When are we as a fan base going to wake up and realize that, as far as we are concerned, saving money is not an end unto itself? Unless that money is re-invested in the team somehow, it does us ZERO good.

You are trying to give the FO credit because they decided to save money rather than signing a player that they said they wanted. The fault doesn't have to be found-it's obvious. And rather than admit that the FO is at fault, you tried to spin it into a good move because it saved our billionaire owner a few extra million. That's absurd, but it's easier for you to accuse me of "crying" than to admit the absurdity of it.

Look who can't see the forrest from the trees. What I said proves that successful COACHES just don't dump players until they have seen them play themselves. I was merely using BB as an example because he's a successful coach that you are arguing with. One time? Every coach that inherits a team does it.

Oh, ok, then I guess we should never cut a 7th round draft pick or UDFA until we have the opportunity to see them in a game.

Bill Cody
09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Could have sworn Moats and Batten were on the teal last year.

Silly me.

"No sense whineland." Ha. Every year someone says this, and every year when the games start, we suck and the overwhelming majority of what I said proves to be perfectly legitimate complaints.

You will see in time.

Yeah it is silly. Moats played in 15 games last year, he was not held back by Poz being on the roster. Batten got hurt 5 days into camp and went on IR. We may suck but that doesn't mean you make any sense.

justasportsfan
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
So they didn't overpay for Poz. What did they do with the money they saved? NOTHING..
THat has nothing to do with you crying. You cried before you knew what they were not going to anything with the money. You were *****ing just to *****.

You are trying to give the FO credit because they decided to save money rather than signing a player that they said they wanted. The fault doesn't have to be found-it's obvious. And rather than admit that the FO is at fault, you tried to spin it into a good move because it saved our billionaire owner a few extra million. That's absurd, but it's easier for you to accuse me of "crying" than to admit the absurdity of it.
.. Huh? Where did I give the FO ANY CREDIT for not willing to spend? You're putting words in my mouth. You're reaching.

Oh, ok, then I guess we should never cut a 7th round draft pick or UDFA until we have the opportunity to see them in a game.

7th RD? Who's using a different situation now? YOU . You just don't drop a players like POZ, Evans and Whitner WHO WEREN'T 7th rd players .

Bill Cody
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, you make a good point. I realize 1st rnd picks are now at a premium because of the new rookie cap, but to think it affects everything if true will have a great impact on the league.

I still think the Bills should have received more for Lynch before the new CBA was in place so my opinion of Overdorfs negotiating will remain the same.

Keep in mind Lynch had already had a suspension for drugs and was openly a malcontent here. That affects trade value. It took over a year to get the 4th we got, it's not like we didn't try long and hard to get more. Take off the blindfold.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
THat has nothing to do with you crying. You cried before you knew what they were not going to anything with the money. You were *****ing just to *****.

"YOU cried, YOU were *****ing"- you're not addressing what the team did. You're addressing your perception of my reaction to it. What I did or didn't do has NOTHING to do with the how the team acted.

Huh? Where did I give the FO ANY CREDIT for not willing to spend? You're putting words in my mouth. You're reaching.
YOU said the team didn't sign Poz cuz they didn't want to overpay. Same difference.

7th RD? Who's using a different situation now? YOU . You just don't drop a players like POZ, Evans and Whitner WHO WEREN'T 7th rd players .

So, why is it that you get to compare dissimilar situations but I don't? I'm just trying to use what I learned from you: act the same way as BB, every time, in every situation, no matter what the specifics are.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah it is silly. Moats played in 15 games last year, he was not held back by Poz being on the roster. Batten got hurt 5 days into camp and went on IR. We may suck but that doesn't mean you make any sense.

What about the WR's who lost time to Evans being on the field? What about Wilson losing experience to Whitner?

Bill Cody
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
What about the WR's who lost time to Evans being on the field? What about Wilson losing experience to Whitner?

I don't think you have any semblance of a point here. We already knew what we had in Wilson. And what receiver did we hold back last year by playing Evans? Rebuilding doesn't mean not trying to win now also. There is some kind of a balance, and guys have a responsibility as players to earn starting time in practice. I'm positive you could do this kind of nit picking on every sub par team in the league. I'm not impressed.

OpIv37
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't think you have any semblance of a point here. We already knew what we had in Wilson. And what receiver did we hold back last year by playing Evans? Rebuilding doesn't mean not trying to win now also. There is some kind of a balance, and guys have a responsibility as players to earn starting time in practice. I'm positive you could do this kind of nit picking on every sub par team in the league. I'm not impressed.

Funny... every time I complain about something, I get the "it takes time- we're not going to win now anyway" excuse. But now I'm getting told that we were trying to win while also trying to rebuild.

It seems to me that no matter what the FO does, some of you will find some way to justify it, despite the utter lack of results on the field.

And what other sub-par teams in the league do is irrelevant. We're trying to get better and move ahead of them, remember? It's not going to happen by emulating their ****ty business practices.

justasportsfan
09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
"YOU cried, YOU were *****ing"- you're not addressing what the team did. You're addressing your perception of my reaction to it. What I did or didn't do has NOTHING to do with the how the team acted. .
Yeah, thats exactly what I've been doing, You just realized this now? pointing out your whiny reaction to it. There's a sand box in your vajayjay.

YOU said the team didn't sign Poz cuz they didn't want to overpay. Same difference.
bwahaha! You reach and now you spin. Someones desperate.

"
So, why is it that you get to compare dissimilar situations but I don't? I'm just trying to use what I learned from you: act the same way as BB, every time, in every situation, no matter what the specifics are.
I never said you can't. Just pointing out you do the same thing. Admit it, youre a board of director at my school aside from Crybaby Academy.

The funny things is that I didn't reply to your arguments here because I agreed to some of it. But you had to call me out because you missed me. That was stupid.

better days
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Keep in mind Lynch had already had a suspension for drugs and was openly a malcontent here. That affects trade value. It took over a year to get the 4th we got, it's not like we didn't try long and hard to get more. Take off the blindfold.

I get that but I think if he were a better negotiator he could have had the pick be made conditional to say a 3rd if for example the Seahawks make the playoffs. Or if he scores the WINNING TD in a playoff game.

Bill Cody
09-07-2011, 01:55 PM
I get that but I think if he were a better negotiator he could have had the pick be made conditional to say a 3rd if for example the Seahawks make the playoffs. Or if he scores the WINNING TD in a playoff game.

Get your resume together and send it in. I'll send along my endorsement. You should be a shoe in.

Bill Cody
09-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Funny... every time I complain about something, I get the "it takes time- we're not going to win now anyway" excuse. But now I'm getting told that we were trying to win while also trying to rebuild.

It seems to me that no matter what the FO does, some of you will find some way to justify it, despite the utter lack of results on the field.

And what other sub-par teams in the league do is irrelevant. We're trying to get better and move ahead of them, remember? It's not going to happen by emulating their ****ty business practices.

Well we are fielding a team and people are buying tickets. The reasonable fan expects the guys in charge to do everything they can to help the team achieve the ultimate goal of a championship while still providing some entertainment now so unless you already have a championship quality roster there has to be some balance between the here and now and the future, whether it be in Buffalo or Miami or St. Louis or Detroit. If they fail it's fine to call them out. Nix and co have already made their share of mistakes. But your complaint here grades a fail imo.