• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Buffalo run D has a good opening test

Article in Buffalo News by Jay Skurski:

Bills' run defense to see where it stands.

I agree with him - Kansas City and Jamaal Charles will be a very good gauge for our run defense. That's what people are expecting to be improved this year. Charles has apparently run for 320 yards against us in the last two games we've played against KC (from the article). While I'm more concerned with his YPA than total yards, I'd prefer to keep his total yards down as well.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • FlyingDutchman
    • Apr 2005

Re: Buffalo run D has a good opening test

Im really looking forward to seeing this D play a whole game together and use their blitz packages...Cant Wait to see what Dareus can do in a game for us, Merriman as well

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
      Im really looking forward to seeing this D play a whole game together and use their blitz packages...Cant Wait to see what Dareus can do in a game for us, Merriman as well
      Agreed. This will be an important year for George Edwards. The guy showed pretty much zero creativity through the season. I did like what I saw on blitzes during preseason, but I need to see quite a bit from him in the regular season.

Also, our Week 2 matchup with the Raiders will be a good gauge as well. McFadden is another fast guy who can get to the edge quickly. The first two weeks will be very, very important for our defense on the edges. We'll be able to see how well our DE's can set the edge and how good our LB's are at reaching it (Barnett) and defending it (Merriman and...Kelsay :: ).
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

3 out of first 4 games are going to be a good test for our run defense.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

If this D stays healthy for 16 games this year, it's going to be interesting to see what they can do.

With Dareus, Merriman, Barnett, Davis, and Edwards being injury prone, it's hard to fill the holes those names would create if injured.

With Williams, Dareus, and Edwards eating up blockers, the LB's should have free reign over the ball carrier. Look at it as Dareus and Williams taking up 4 blockers when their going nuts, leaving 9 guys to find the ball carrier. I kinda like those odds.
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by psubills62
            Article in Buffalo News by Jay Skurski:

Bills' run defense to see where it stands.

I agree with him - Kansas City and Jamaal Charles will be a very good gauge for our run defense. That's what people are expecting to be improved this year. Charles has apparently run for 320 yards against us in the last two games we've played against KC (from the article). While I'm more concerned with his YPA than total yards, I'd prefer to keep his total yards down as well.
            But, but, but... Charles is on my fantasy team!
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

This may not be anything but on BB.com Kyle Williams talks about KC's gameplan. He says they know that they plan on going deep when they are on maximum protect, blah,blah,blah.

IMO, the bills talk too much. When you ask guys like Bellichick, all he tells you is that guys like Kelsay , Corto, Tim Anderson are very good players , the week of the game. The colts give you nothing about what needs to be done, whos playing til the last minute and what they plan to do.

It may seem like its not much but good teams do it. BB is a master of looking for anything they can use to their advantage to the point that he'd cheat.
              Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-07-2011, 10:33 AM.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• cgbm
                • Jan 2011

im very anxious to see how our team plays against a good run O also.

good news is.... right off the bat i will be able to figure out what the season will hold and make my decisions as to how much of an alcoholic i will be for the next 5 months.
                a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• Buddo
                  • Mar 2007

The first two games will definitely be a strong test of how far our run D has improved.
                  Charles and Jones are a tough combo, but McFadden and Bush aren't too shabby either.
                  I wouldn't be at all surprised if we show well in those games, that teams decide to pass to try and set up the run against us, after them.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

I foresee similar results, but slightly better, of years past. The Bills will bottle him up for the most part, but let up two 10+ runs for him and one 10-yd run for Jones. Probably 140-150yds, 1-2 tds for the pair.

Comment

• cgbm
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Oaf
                      I foresee similar results, but slightly better, of years past. The Bills will bottle him up for the most part, but let up two 10+ runs for him and one 10-yd run for Jones. Probably 140-150yds, 1-2 tds for the pair.
                      do you think 150 yds with 2 td's is ok?

i can tell you that if we give that up every week we will not be winning often.

just think.... would you be happy if freddy and cj got 150yds and 2 td's combined... answer is yes. you would be stoked

its not good enough.
                      a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by madness
                        3 out of first 4 games are going to be a good test for our run defense.
                        Which will make or break our season.

We perceive that the Run D within the Front 7 is much improved,which seemed to be the priority during the off-season.

It's put up or shut up time.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Oaf
                          Do you read what you write?
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by cgbm
                          do you think 150 yds with 2 td's is ok?

i can tell you that if we give that up every week we will not be winning often.

just think.... would you be happy if freddy and cj got 150yds and 2 td's combined... answer is yes. you would be stoked

its not good enough.
                          That's the fact. It's NOT good enough. And yes I would be thrilled with that production from our backs. I don't think you're going to see us become a top 10 run defense overnight despite the preseason optimism.

Comment

• paladin warrior
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by BillsWin
                            But, but, but... Charles is on my fantasy team!
                            I have Thomas Jones on my fantasy

Comment

• cgbm
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Oaf
                              That's the fact. It's NOT good enough. And yes I would be thrilled with that production from our backs. I don't think you're going to see us become a top 10 run defense overnight despite the preseason optimism.
                              well were on the same page then....

all im looking for out of this season is next years draft... not the draft itself but the pre draft smack on this board...

all the people that said we needed d line last year now have nothing..

finally we can get a qb.

but i really think we will be much improved at d line and it will really help with the very good running O's that we will see this year... excited to see the outcome of our offseason aqui's

Comment

Working...
                              X