• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Stevie and the Bills are not close to a deal

According to LaCanfora:

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

"and Buffalo traded proposals with receiver Steve Johnson, but those sides are nowhere near a deal at this point, sources said."

Stevie probably wants Santonio Holmes money and the Bills are offering Roscoe Parrish money... It's going to take 7-8 mill per to lock up SJ13 IMO.

• alohabillsfan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Stevie and the Bills are not close to a deal

Im ok with this strategy, obviously Stevie is taking a risk, (1) Injury (to him or Fitz),
    (2) he does not back up last seasons performance. If everything works out for SJ the Bills will have to pay a larger sum. No problem with establishing parameters its the business side of negotiations.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
      • Jan 2010

hold off until he shows production again, you can always tag him

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
        Im ok with this strategy, obviously Stevie is taking a risk, (1) Injury (to him or Fitz),
        (2) he does not back up last seasons performance. If everything works out for SJ the Bills will have to pay a larger sum. No problem with establishing parameters its the business side of negotiations.
        My problem is that I can't see the Bills making him their highest paid player. 8 mill per is more than any other player and more than the new big contract they gave Kyle Williams.

They are probably thinking they can land him for 5 or 6 mill per and they are nuts.

But yes, he has to at least continue his play level.

This one scares me because I'm not sure the Bills will actually get it done.

The franchise would pay him 11.3 mill... I can't see the Bills paying that either.

The NFL Management Council has yet to release official franchise-tag numbers for the 2011 season, and, with the collective bargaining agreement set to expire March 3, the use of the tag continues to be challenged by the NFL Players Association.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

The Bills have a track record of overpaying mediocre players like Kelsay, and letting the really good ones like Peters go.

I'm afraid their negotiations with Johnson may not end well.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            The Bills have a track record of overpaying mediocre players like Kelsay, and letting the really good ones like Peters go.

I'm afraid their negotiations with Johnson may not end well.
            Scares the hell out of me. He's my favorite player since the SB years.

Like I said, I'm thinking Santonio Holmes money... not Andre Johnson or Larry Fitz of course, not Brandon Marshall money, but the next tier... which is where I put Holmes and someone like say Miles Austin.
            Last edited by X-Era; 09-08-2011, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
              • Sep 2003

Im confident the Bills will get it done!

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                Im confident the Bills will get it done!
                I hope you're right!

Comment

• Bangarang
                  • Sep 2010

With Evans gone, Stevie now has the pressure to produce as a #1 guy. Therefore, he's going to want to get paid as such. Problem with that is he hasn't shown he can produce consistently.

Not surprised here. I'm not expecting a new deal until about week 4 or so.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Nix's philosophy:

Draft em' -

Develop em' -

Re-sign em' - ?
                    Last edited by X-Era; 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• elltrain22
                      • Sep 2003

Draft em

Try to develop them

Try to resign them, but if they want too much, trade them for 4th round picks.

Repeat
                      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by elltrain22
                        Draft em

Try to develop them

Try to resign them, but if they want too much, trade them for 4th round picks.

Repeat
                        Which equates to:

Sign em' cheap and unproven

develop em' cheap until proven

but when they become proven and expensive, dump em'

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era
                          Nix's philosophy:

Draft em' -

Develop em' -

Re-sign em' - ?

That's unfair to Nix none of the guys he didnt resign was drafted by him. So how can you say that?

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mrbojanglezs
                            That's unfair to Nix none of the guys he didnt resign was drafted by him. So how can you say that?
                            He inherits the entire team. If he wants to only operate with "his" guys, then make the massive purge and let's move on. It's ridiculous to think he can't be held accountable for losing a player drafted by the Bills before he was here. Does the philosophy only apply to guys he drafted? Why? We have no players before his time that have any worth?

The Bills probably loved the Kyle Williams extension. The franchise tag is 12+ mill which is the average annual salary of the top 5 paid DT's... Yet Kyle extends for almost half that (6+). I thought I would go there before I hear about how they kept their own by paying going rate on Kyle Williams.

The NFL Management Council has yet to release official franchise-tag numbers for the 2011 season, and, with the collective bargaining agreement set to expire March 3, the use of the tag continues to be challenged by the NFL Players Association.

If Kyle chooses to provide a hometown bargain so be it... I'm good with it. But the Bills should never expect that from all their players when it's contract extension time. Stevie will have a market value and the Bills will likely have to pay it.
                            Last edited by X-Era; 09-08-2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                              • Feb 2004

Here is the problem and I said this as soon as camp opened.
                              #1 priority sign Stevie before season started.
                              If the Bills were smart they would have signed him BEFORE Lee Evans was traded and SJ would get #2 WR $$$......Now SJ and his agents want #1 WR $$$.
                              Not a smart move on the Bills, will cost them $2 mill per more now...
                              Bills know that SJ is a huge fan fovorite, imagine if the Bills let him look elsewhere.........YIKES...

I do think it will get done though, but they will have to pay more then 1 month agao...
                              GO Gators!!!!!!
                              GO GATORS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X