• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Subtle queues that the Bills are for real

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Some of you laughed, some of you listened and many of you mocked the audacity of some two-bit blogger's observation during a tiny window of an NFL training camp.

Watching GB vs. NO last night I was surprised to see a kick-off return for a TD. Sproules returned another 57 yards. I think we all expected to see most all kick-offs go for touch backs. But, GB and NO found a way to make the play still viable for a return. Rather than simply letting it go if it is close to the end zone and accepting the touch back, they now are lining up 5 yards deep in the end zone and returning it. It's two good teams adapting to a new rule to find a way to still compete.

I will be interested to see how the Bills approach the situation. Will they employ a similar tactic or simply go for touch backs. I may be overstating the issue a bit but it seems like there are subtle differences between the good teams and the not so good teams. The good teams quickly adapt to new plays, rules, etc... and still stay competitive. Belicheck seems to do this well. Jauron did not. The not so good teams don't. I think situations like this are tell tale signs that you have good coaching.

So this is one area that I will be watching on the Bills. It may be a hint to how good our coaching is.

Yes, there are more obvious areas to look at. Yes, we have more glaring concerns. But, do you have anything subtle you will be looking for?

• djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

Re: Subtle queues that the Bills are for real

Originally posted by X-Era
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...s-his-presence

Belicheck seems to do this well. Jauron did not. The not so good teams don't. I think situations like this are tell tale signs that you have good coaching.

lets stop bringing up jauron its like someone being remarried and consistently talking about his old wife.

gross :) its been 2 years we all hated him its time to move on

Comment

• zone
      No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
      • Oct 2003

Watching GB vs. NO last night I was surprised to see a kick-off return for a TD. Sproules returned another 57 yards. I think we all expected to see most all kick-offs go for touch backs. But, GB and NO found a way to make the play still viable for a return. Rather than simply letting it go if it is close to the end zone and accepting the touch back, they now are lining up 5 yards deep in the end zone and returning it. It's two good teams adapting to a new rule to find a way to still compete.

I will be interested to see how the Bills approach the situation. Will they employ a similar tactic or simply go for touch backs. I may be overstating the issue a bit but it seems like there are subtle differences between the good teams and the not so good teams. The good teams quickly adapt to new plays, rules, etc... and still stay competitive. Belicheck seems to do this well. Jauron did not. The not so good teams don't. I think situations like this are tell tale signs that you have good coaching.

So this is one area that I will be watching on the Bills. It may be a hint to how good our coaching is.

Yes, there are more obvious areas to look at. Yes, we have more glaring concerns. But, do you have anything subtle you will be looking for?
      Most all kick-offs did go for touchbacks especially when you think about the fact that there were 8 touchbacks in one game, last year at Lambeau there were 3 all year.

That was a great return and I would imagine with teams decreased emphasis in special teams in anticipation of the crippling new rule you will see a touchback or a huge return.

Lets just hope McFumbles stays as far away from kickoffs as possible. He would take it out from 8 yards deep on every return.
      www.blzbus.com

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

we better go for touchbacks.

The Bobby April days are gone.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
          we better go for touchbacks.

The Bobby April days are gone.
          I'll be livid if we go for touchbacks with one of the best returners in the league.

Mike Westhoff, the Jets’ special-teams coach, whose kickoff and return teams are among the best in the league, said that when he had returner Brad Smith last year, he lined him up near the goal line and gave him orders to return anything in the end zone. Now, with Smith gone to Buffalo and the new rules in place, Westhoff does not seem so sure. He may put his returner up to 6 yards deep in the end zone and as long as the kick does not push him back, allow him to take it out. Westhoff has rarely put his lead blockers inside the 10, but this season, he said, he could put them at the 2 to allow for returns from deep in the end zone.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
            Will not tolerate vandalism.
            • Apr 2006

Pardon me for being a grammar sticker, but it's cues, not queues. A queue is a backlog, like a line of customers at the DMV.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Well, except for the fact if Cobb had listened to his coach he would not have scored a TD, he would have taken a knee in the end zone.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by madness
                I'll be livid if we go for touchbacks with one of the best returners in the league.
                sorry but 8 of the 11 kickoffs last night went for touchbacks. Even the one that went for the TD was 8 yards into the endzone. Big returns were the exception to the rule before the new rules, and they'll be an even bigger exception with the new rule.

Basically, you are talking about a TD or really good field position 1 out of every 10 times in exchange for starting inside the 10 or 15 the other 9 out of 10 times.

It's not good odds, good KR or not.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
                  • Apr 2003

I'm not arguing there's going to be more touchbacks but 5-6 yards in the end zone will no longer be an automatic touchbacks. The NFL estimates the 16.4% of touchbacks will rise to around 30% with special team coaches and players thinking it will be more around 40-50%. That's still a lot of opportunities for good returns. I expect return teams to start cheating back a little which will lead to a slight rise on surprise onside kicks.
                  Last edited by madness; 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• methos4ever
                    • Apr 2004

And (cue Stevie J) Cobb said God told him to take the ball 8 yards deep out of the endzone, when McCarthy told him to kneel it. So, unless we get calls from on high for our returners, they may or may not repeat it.

Comment

• BUFF Bills
                      • Feb 2009

did anyone else notice that the saints kicked off from the 30yd line instead of the 35 (after the sproles punt return td, i think) last night?

could they really have done this on purpose? or was it just a mistake?

Comment

• mayotm
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by BUFF Bills
                        did anyone else notice that the saints kicked off from the 30yd line instead of the 35 (after the sproles punt return td, i think) last night?

could they really have done this on purpose? or was it just a mistake?
                        If I recall correctly, there was a penalty on the extra point that was assessed on the kick off.
                        Last edited by mayotm; 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                          • Sep 2003

I'm not sure if it was that one, but the Saints did have an offsides penalty on one of their kickoffs which forced a kickoff five yards further back.
                          "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                            Pardon me for being a grammar sticker, but it's cues, not queues. A queue is a backlog, like a line of customers at the DMV.
                            So did you mean sticker as in "an adhesive label" or stickler as in "an insistent person"?
                            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• elltrain22
                              • Sep 2003

Here's a non-subtle (or obvious ) reason that we probably won't and aren't for real. His name is Ralph Wilson
                              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                              X