PDA

View Full Version : Nix says Hairston better than they thought, may take over for Bell at somepoint

BillsWin
09-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Good interview with GM Buddy Nix. Most interesting part was on the offensive line. Nix says that Hairston is much better than they originally evaluated. Says that Bell will start out and he can get it done, but if he doesn't, Hairston will be ready to take over.

Sounds like they are very high on him.

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20110909_092058_9024

better days
09-09-2011, 01:27 PM
If Hairston becomes a decent starting LT in the NFL, I will feel much better about the Lynch trade.

methos4ever
09-09-2011, 01:31 PM
If Hairston becomes a decent starting LT in the NFL, I will feel much better about the Lynch trade.
He's actually scarily similar to how they picked their LT at SD. A LT with decent feet (but in McNeil's case a really balky back) that needs Strength and Conditioning to get into NFL shape.

Thanks for the info on the interview!

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 01:32 PM
But starting him in the last preseason game didn't mean anything right? It wasn't an act of desperation- it was just giving a rookie a chance, right?

Bill Cody
09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

See now that's taking a positive take. Not allowed on this site. Even if the Bills found a steal and the guy becomes the next Jonathan Ogden you have to always keep in mind that we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to have given the man snaps in preseason. Capiche?

Bill Cody
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
But starting him in the last preseason game didn't mean anything right? It wasn't an act of desperation- it was just giving a rookie a chance, right?

right on cue

Novacane
09-09-2011, 01:37 PM
See now that's taking a positive take. Not allowed on this site. Even if the Bills found a steal and the guy becomes the next Jonathan Ogden you have to always keep in mind that we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to have given the man snaps in preseason. Capiche?

Lets see Hairston become Ogden first.

ParanoidAndroid
09-09-2011, 01:38 PM
No. There has to be a hidden reason for this. These are the Bills, so there has to be a pitfall.

Philagape
09-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Looks like it was a chance well worth taking. He made the most of it.

Jan Reimers
09-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Maybe this will light a fire under Bell's butt.

ParanoidAndroid

He just used his name hypothetically.

Goobylal
They started him in that last pre-season game? That's news to everyone.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-09-2011, 01:45 PM
i really thought it was an interesting pick. huge wingspan, very tall and wide. was also quick at the combine along with 33 reps on the bench. i like the pick and wouldnt be suprised if he starts later in the year... we shall see...

Bill Cody
09-09-2011, 01:45 PM

:monkeyp: novacane

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
They took a guy drafted to eventually be the starter at RT and are now talking about making him the starter at LT.

They're throwing **** at the wall and trying to see what sticks because they failed to address the OL in two off-seasons.

If you guys don't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 01:47 PM

either that, or Bell is just that bad. Take your pick.

justasportsfan
09-09-2011, 01:47 PM
what did your sources tell you?

They started him in that last pre-season game? That's news to everyone.?

OP has the same sources as Moran.

Bill Cody
09-09-2011, 01:48 PM
They took a guy drafted to eventually be the starter at RT

link?

better days
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
They took a guy drafted to eventually be the starter at RT and are now talking about making him the starter at LT.

They're throwing **** at the wall and trying to see what sticks because they failed to address the OL in two off-seasons.

I don't know about you but I was hoping to see the Bills draft defense in the last draft because that is where the draft had the most GOOD players & also where the Bills needed most help aside from the OL.

If Spiller does not pan out, you can blame Nix for taking him over an OL player, but I don't think you can find fault with the last draft.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
link?

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't know about you but I was hoping to see the Bills draft defense in the last draft because that is where the draft had the most GOOD players & also where the Bills needed most help aside from the OL.

If Spiller does not pan out, you can blame Nix for taking him over an OL player, but I don't think you can find fault with the last draft.

I didn't say anything about the last draft. They had 2 drafts and 2 FA periods to address the OL and didn't do it.

Maybe you're right- maybe there's only so much that can be done at a time and if they had fixed the OL they wouldn't have been able to fix the D.

But regardless if there's a valid reason for it or if it's more blatant incompetence on the part of the FO, our OL is still garbage and that does not bode well for this season.

BidsJr
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
They started him in that last pre-season game? That's news to everyone.

OP doesn't watch the games. He just likes the Bills in Madden cause the colors are pretty.

Goobylal

The Bills drafted Hairston, a LT in college, to ONLY play RT in the NFL? That's news to everyone.

Novacane
He just used his name hypothetically.

Fine. Lets see him become anything first. This guy has a habit of ripping on anyone who is not all positive about the Bills. Excuse me for being skeptical that a 4th round pick is the Bills answer at LT.

Goobylal
09-09-2011, 02:00 PM
OP doesn't watch the games. He just likes the Bills in Madden cause the colors are pretty.
I've come to see that Op has his own set of "facts." The best being that the Bills paid Evans $1.1M so they could wait and trade him for a 4th rounder, because that was going to prevent a "fan revolt."

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
The Bills drafted Hairston, a LT in college, to ONLY play RT in the NFL? That's news to everyone.

in case no one was paying attention, he didn't play LT until that last preseason game. He was working out at RT throughout camp.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:03 PM
I've come to see that Op has his own set of "facts." The best being that the Bills paid Evans $1.1M so they could wait and trade him for a 4th rounder, because that was going to prevent a "fan revolt."

did you not see the fan reaction when they traded him? WTF do you think would have happened if they cut him to save $1.1 million?

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I've come to see that Op has his own set of "facts."

and you'll see whose facts are correct once the games start. As usual, it will be mine.

Bill Cody
09-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Show me the proof he was drafted as a RT.

Goobylal
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
in case no one was paying attention, he didn't play LT until that last preseason game. He was working out at RT throughout camp.
Please watch games before commenting on them. He missed the first pre-season game, played only RT in the 2nd game, and played both in the 3rd. Hence the reason they put him exclusively at LT in the 4th.

did you not see the fan reaction when they traded him? WTF do you think would have happened if they cut him to save $1.1 million?
Little more than what happened. What would you have done to "revolt?" Again, little more than you did.

and you'll see whose facts are correct once the games start. As usual, it will be mine.
We shall see.

justasportsfan
09-09-2011, 02:12 PM

If Dareus switches to DT from time to time OP will be pissed that we're playing him at multiple positions.

BidsJr
09-09-2011, 02:18 PM
If Dareus switches to DT from time to time OP will be pissed that we're playing him at multiple positions.

That dude *****es more than any woman I've ever known.

Bill Cody
09-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Fine. Lets see him become anything first. This guy has a habit of ripping on anyone who is not all positive about the Bills. Excuse me for being skeptical that a 4th round pick is the Bills answer at LT.

ha ha not really Nova. First of all this is a message board and I am quite aware that on such a board you're going to have a range of opinions, boring if you didn't. 2nd I think it's completely understandable some people have trouble seeing the positives after the last decade. There are a few guys that seem to revel in the negative and that I don't understand as well but you'd be hard pressed to find me ripping on people in the vast majority of my posts, that's just not true.

I haven't anoited Hairston a savior. Who has? But on our team you enjoy a piece of positive news, you know? Not sure why we can't take it for what it is, a little glimmer of hope.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:22 PM

He didn't play RT all off-season until the last preseason game.

Also, they were happy with Bell coming out of last year.

justasportsfan
09-09-2011, 02:24 PM

:huh:

TigerJ
09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Nix was decidedly less enthusastic about Bell. I think the handwriting on the wall is pretty clear. Maybe Bell can develop, and be a reliable starting left tackle at some point, but he's running out of time in Buffalo.

The level of desperation a team has in trying something doesn't matter very much when it actually works.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Desperation is playing a guy when he hasn't impressed because you need him to play. If Hairston has indeed impressed the coaches to the point where they're comfortable playing him at LT, I don't see where the "desperation" comes into play.

Here's what Nix said, exact quote:

These guys have turned out better than we think. We think [Bell] can get it done. If he doesn't, [Hairston] will be ready at some point in the year to do it.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 02:30 PM

He played LT against Jacksonville also, not just the last preseason game.

So a guy impresses the coaches and suddenly playing him if the starter doesn't cut it would be desperation? Where do you come up with this stuff?

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2011, 02:34 PM
blind squirrels find a nut once in awhile. it would be nice if hairston turned out to be nix's nut.

Bill Cody
09-09-2011, 02:35 PM

wrong

no I don't think they were that happy with him. But you draft LT's and they made it clear and public that they were going heavy on D in this draft.

They're throwing **** at the wall and trying to see what sticks because they failed to address the OL in two off-seasons. If you guys don't see it, I don't know what to tell you.

That's one way to look at it. I think if you asked Nix he'd agree we're not where we need to be on the OL. But I don't think we wanted to go with the vets at the end of the string or free agents that failed somewhere else approach on the OL. This team wasn't going to get fixed in 2 drafts and until we show some progress we will lose all the jump balls on free agents. That's reality.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Desperation is playing a guy when he hasn't impressed because you need him to play. If Hairston has indeed impressed the coaches to the point where they're comfortable playing him at LT, I don't see where the "desperation" comes into play.

Here's what Nix said, exact quote:

just because Nix said he "impressed" to the media doesn't make it so.

I think it's more a case of Bell sucking so they're playing Hairston regardless of whether or not he actually "impressed"

That's desperation.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:41 PM
oh, and if Hairston was intended to play LT, then what's Nix's plan for RT?

It's not like we're much better on that side.

better days
09-09-2011, 02:42 PM

I think it's more a case of Bell sucking so they're playing Hairston regardless of whether or not he actually "impressed"

That's desperation.

Well Op just because you think something, doesn't make it so either.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Well Op just because you think something, doesn't make it so either.

and you people trying to make it appear as though this is only in my head doesn't make it so either.

Our OL sucks. It will show on the field. I realize that you people want to be excited about the season and don't want to be bogged down with this reality at the moment, so mentally you need to make it seem like it's only in my head and like I'm *****ing just to *****.

But the reality is that our OL sucks, we're desperate, and it will show on the field. Sorry, but it is what it is.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 02:45 PM

That's desperation.
A lot of people, including cookie and myself, watched him play LT and he looked much better than expected. He had his bad moments (leaving an outside guy to rush and giving up a sack), but unless you can tell us exactly why he hasn't impressed, you have no case here.

Your post is completely speculation and nothing more based on what you want to believe. THAT is desperation.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 02:47 PM
oh, and if Hairston was intended to play LT, then what's Nix's plan for RT?

It's not like we're much better on that side.
Right now the plan is obviously to play Erik Pears. I'll wait to see how he does this season before I condemn it. They also picked up Sam Young. Hairston can play there if he's needed (injuries, etc.). And they've been putting Jasper there for the practice squad.

And if they get "desperate," they can draft a guy to play RT next year or sign a FA.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
A lot of people, including cookie and myself, watched him play LT and he looked much better than expected. He had his bad moments (leaving an outside guy to rush and giving up a sack), but unless you can tell us exactly why he hasn't impressed, you have no case here.

Your post is completely speculation and nothing more based on what you want to believe. THAT is desperation.

he "impressed" by having both good moments and problems in a game against the Lions' 3rd stringers that we lost? But I'm the one with no case? Yeah, OK....

your post is based on nothing more than what Buddy Nix told the media that you believe because it's what you WANT to believe.

And btw, why the hell would you think I WANT to believe that we're desperate enough to find a LT that we'll throw anyone we have in there hoping they're better than Bell? I'd love to be wrong about this- I'd love it for a Bills rookie to truly impress and become an instant starter.

But, unlike you, I'm not gullible enough to believe it just because it's what I want.

justasportsfan
09-09-2011, 02:49 PM

not really . This is who OP wanted us to draft over Spiller
49ers RT Anthony Davis was a "disaster in protection" as a rookie, according to Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson.According to Pro Football Focus' figures, Davis was the only tackle in the league responsible for double-digit penalties, sacks, and quarterback hits. The Niners' don't have a viable alternative -- and Davis possesses plenty of talent -- so he should retain his starting job in 2011. Feb 22 - 5:25 PM

If we drafed him and he performed that way, OP would find a way to blame Nix for that.

Davis is now being moved around by Harbaugh . Guess OP will have a problem with Harbaugh.

madness
09-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh yeah, I definitely see a lot of **** being thrown at the wall...

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:51 PM
not really . This is who OP wanted us to draft over Spiller

If we drafed him and he performed that way, OP would find a way to blame Nix for that.

Davis is now being moved around by Harbaugh . Guess OP will have a problem with Harbaugh.

here's the problem: making it about me.

It's not about me.

Spiller hasn't been good at all. We still need OL help. Maybe Davis wasn't the answer either, but I'm not the one who gets paid millions to figure it out.

It's Nix's job to fix the OL and he hasn't done it. What I wanted and what I said cannot change that.

Oaf
09-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Even if he did become Jonathan Ogden, 50% or more says he walks after his rookie contract. There occasionally is a case of "too much talent" in Buffalo.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 02:52 PM
and you people trying to make it appear as though this is only in my head doesn't make it so either.

Our OL sucks. It will show on the field. I realize that you people want to be excited about the season and don't want to be bogged down with this reality at the moment, so mentally you need to make it seem like it's only in my head and like I'm *****ing just to *****.

But the reality is that our OL sucks, we're desperate, and it will show on the field. Sorry, but it is what it is.
The bolded mantra, while true in general, has been repeated so much and so often that it's actually become far exaggerated. Is our OL even close to average? No. However, it's actually not bad at run-blocking, and there are things they can do to help the pass-blocking.

As one guy on buffalorumblings.com mentioned, they actually pulled a guard on pass plays a number of times last year that helped freeze the LB's (because pulling the OG makes it look like a run).

People act like our offense would struggle to move the ball against a DII school. Sorry, but our offensive line was the same or worse last year and while our offense wasn't good, it had some good games.

justasportsfan
09-09-2011, 02:54 PM

It's not about me.

Spiller hasn't been good at all. We still need OL help. Maybe Davis wasn't the answer either, but I'm not the one who gets paid millions to figure it out.

It's Nix's job to fix the OL and he hasn't done it. What I wanted and what I said cannot change that.

Yes it is about you. Your constant whining and trying to find everything wrong with whats being done even though other teams are doing the same thing.

Yes , Spiller hasn't lived up to expectations and niether has your pick ,Davis. I agree we need OL help but there is only so much you can do when you don't have any core left by Jauron in almost EVERY position.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 02:54 PM
The bolded mantra, while true in general, has been repeated so much and so often that it's actually become far exaggerated. Is our OL even close to average? No. However, it's actually not bad at run-blocking, and there are things they can do to help the pass-blocking.

As one guy on buffalorumblings.com mentioned, they actually pulled a guard on pass plays a number of times last year that helped freeze the LB's (because pulling the OG makes it look like a run).

People act like our offense would struggle to move the ball against a DII school. Sorry, but our offensive line was the same or worse last year and while our offense wasn't good, it had some good games.

Here's the problem: while our OL is very similar to last year, where they weren't awful, they ****ing looked awful in pre-season. It looks like they got worse instead of getting better.
'
I don't have an explanation for it. It doesn't make sense, but that's what happened on the field.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 02:55 PM

It's not about me.

Here's why it's about you: you make stuff up in order to try and criticize. You speculate and force the issue when it's obvious you're simply *****ing just for the sake of it. You take something good (like a rookie impressing the coaches) and call it desperation. You post things that contain little to no logic. That's why some of these conversations become about you.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Here's the problem: while our OL is very similar to last year, where they weren't awful, they ****ing looked awful in pre-season. It looks like they got worse instead of getting better.
'
I don't have an explanation for it. It doesn't make sense, but that's what happened on the field.
They looked about the same as last year - struggled against very good defense (Chicago), struggled to pass block against elite pass rushers (Denver), but looked very good against teams with weaker front 7's (Jacksonville), and they actually looked good against Detroit in limited time as well, who has a good front 4. That is what happened on the field.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Here's why it's about you: you make stuff up in order to try and criticize. You speculate and force the issue when it's obvious you're simply *****ing just for the sake of it. You take something good (like a rookie impressing the coaches) and call it desperation. You post things that contain little to no logic. That's why some of these conversations become about you.

You have no more proof that it's something good than I do.

And there is plenty of logic in it: The FO isn't happy with Bell, they throw Hairston in at LT to see how he does because we have no other options.

What's illogical about that? It makes just as much sense as throwing Hairston in because he "impressed." and IMO it makes more sense based on how Bell has played.

When they first announced that Hairston was playing LT before the preseason game, I said largely the same thing: that it shows how desperate we are at LT.

I got trashed, with people saying "it's just a rookie getting his chance" and I should "relax because they're just seeing what he can do- it's not like he's going to be starting."

Well, guess what? After all the **** I took, now they're talking about him starting. So, people like you criticize me and say I have little to no logic, but then exactly what I said was going to happen is happening. The only difference is that we disagree on the reason behind it. You say my speculation is less logical than your speculation, but you haven't proven or explained that. The only reason you find my speculation to be less logical is because it isn't overly positive and doesn't give the Bills credit like yours does.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
he "impressed" by having both good moments and problems in a game against the Lions' 3rd stringers that we lost? But I'm the one with no case? Yeah, OK....

your post is based on nothing more than what Buddy Nix told the media that you believe because it's what you WANT to believe.

And btw, why the hell would you think I WANT to believe that we're desperate enough to find a LT that we'll throw anyone we have in there hoping they're better than Bell? I'd love to be wrong about this- I'd love it for a Bills rookie to truly impress and become an instant starter.

But, unlike you, I'm not gullible enough to believe it just because it's what I want.
He had one bad play where he read his block wrong. He should have taken the outside guy instead of the inside guy. And he did well against Jacksonville and has obviously done well in practice too.

So let me get this straight...believing Buddy Nix is somehow worse than not believing him? Yes, sure, it's all spin, it's all PR, it's all a way of trying to deceive the fans. From everything I've heard from him, he tells it like it is and doesn't try to weasel out of things. Spiller had a bad rookie year, Nix fully admitted that. If they weren't impressed with Hairston, they wouldn't say they were.

Because you like to criticize. There are times when it's warranted and times when it's not, and you love to criticize the Bills during all those times, whether or not they deserve it.

Gee, sorry if I believe my own eyes, Buddy Nix's eyes, Gailey's eyes, and other people's eyes instead of simply your speculation. From what I gather, everyone was impressed with Hairston in the preseason games except he had one bad read. Feel free to tell me, from what you saw of him in the games, exactly why he isn't impressive.

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM

i think the line blows as well but what if we're wrong and they end up playing well. are you going to quit posting globs of crap in every thread?

justasportsfan
09-09-2011, 03:04 PM
And there is plenty of logic in it: The FO isn't happy with Bell, they throw Hairston in at LT to see how he does because we have no other options.

What's illogical about that? It makes just as much sense as throwing Hairston in because he "impressed." and IMO it makes more sense based on how Bell has played.

like I said before that is a possibility but it could also be that that they think Bell is ok but Hairston is better than they think and could upgrade Bell. There's logic in that too.

better days
09-09-2011, 03:06 PM
'

I have an explanation for it. Preseason. That is the time to experiment & try different things. We will see Sunday just how good or bad the OL & team is.

Gailey has said the OL is good but has no depth, I trust that to be the case.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 03:07 PM
You have no more proof that it's something good than I do.

When they first announced that Hairston was playing LT before the preseason game, I said largely the same thing: that it shows how desperate we are at LT.

I got trashed, with people saying "it's just a rookie getting his chance" and I should "relax because they're just seeing what he can do- it's not like he's going to be starting."

Well, guess what? After all the **** I took, now they're talking about him starting. So, people like you criticize me and say I have little to no logic, but then exactly what I said was going to happen is happening. The only difference is that we disagree on the reason behind it. You say my speculation is less logical than your speculation, but you haven't proven or explained that. The only reason you find my speculation to be less logical is because it isn't overly positive and doesn't give the Bills credit like yours does.
The preseason games aren't proof? He did quite well outside of one play (note: ONE play).

If you even offered simple football analysis based on the preseason games, I'd have no problem listening. But here's what you throw out: speculation that Nix is lying, speculation based on a game that from what I can tell, you never watched, claiming he only played LT for the last preseason game (patently untrue), and blabbering about how it was the Lions' 3rd stringers. If you can tell me why you think Hairston hasn't impressed, then do it. I'd like to hear exactly why, instead of these excuses that make it sound like you are simply throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks (a metaphor you love to use).

Read (or listen to) the dang quote from Nix. It sounds nothing like they're planning on starting him at some point and simply confidence that he can back up the position. If he needs to play, he can. That's all.

And yes, it has looked like they're unhappy with Bell. But considering Levitre was the only one to challenge Bell at LT during the preseason, it's obvious that after preseason was over, they evaluated Hairston and liked what they saw. If they weren't happy with Bell and didn't think Hairston was good, they'd say Levitre would be the LT if Bell wasn't playing well, not Hairston.

EDS
09-09-2011, 03:07 PM
They looked about the same as last year - struggled against very good defense (Chicago), struggled to pass block against elite pass rushers (Denver), but looked very good against teams with weaker front 7's (Jacksonville), and they actually looked good against Detroit in limited time as well, who has a good front 4. That is what happened on the field.

Didn't Suh sit out the game against B-lo? Fairley too?

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 03:08 PM
i think the line blows as well but what if we're wrong and they end up playing well. are you going to quit posting globs of crap in every thread?

me being wrong?

Not gonna be a problem.

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
playing hairston doesn't jive with the idea that gailey wants an all white offensive line.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Op, feel free to tell us why, based on Hairston's preseason play, he hasn't been impressive. Tell us based on your own eyes and what you saw of him.

My guess is that you haven't even watched him play, considering you didn't know he played LT against Jacksonville (and for some reason, keep repeating that the final preseason game was his only one at LT, despite being told otherwise on multiple occasions). Do you have a foundation for your argument based on how he's actually played football?

Griz78
09-09-2011, 03:12 PM
I like the way the Bills are handling Hairston. I think he was better than Wrotto, Howard and Wang. Oher and Peters started as Right Tackles and then moved to Left. (I know Oher is moving back to RT) It just seems they are taking it easy and letting him develop some. Right now he is teh "swing" tackle so it is good that he knows both positions too.

psubills62
09-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Didn't Suh sit out the game against B-lo? Fairley too?
Yes he did, though Hill and Corey Williams are still good DT's. The Detroit game wasn't exactly central to my point anyway, considering each team plays maybe one or two series with their starters. My point still stands.

justasportsfan
09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Op, feel free to tell us why, based on Hairston's preseason play, he hasn't been impressive. Tell us based on your own eyes and what you saw of him.

My guess is that you haven't even watched him play, considering you didn't know he played LT against Jacksonville (and for some reason, keep repeating that the final preseason game was his only one at LT, despite being told otherwise on multiple occasions). Do you have a foundation for your argument based on how he's actually played football?

:popcorn:

trapezeus
09-09-2011, 03:22 PM
i think bell's body type isn't really as muscular as a typical LT and he gets pushed around more and the bills know it.

I cna't fault them with trying different combos. you have to be willing to fail to succeed. it's better than listening to jauron's "we'll look at the tape and do the exact same thing," nonsense.

i hate this line, but at least the defense seems to be coming together. we'll see what the fix is next year if they have the luxury to be O focused.

Goobylal
09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes he did, though Hill and Corey Williams are still good DT's. The Detroit game wasn't exactly central to my point anyway, considering each team plays maybe one or two series with their starters. My point still stands.
Suh did play against the Bills' starters. Fairley did not and likely won't be back for a little while.

BidsJr
09-09-2011, 03:31 PM

I'll answer for him. He just likes to ***** about everything.

Guy has 60,000 posts here in 9 years right around 18 a day. I'll give him the benifit of the doubt and guess he only *****es in 90% of his posts.

So basically for the last 9 years he has posted roughly every waking hour of his life something to ***** about the Bills.

I actually feel sorry for him.

sdbillsfan2
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM

And after your done answering psu, maybe you'll take the time to give us your season W/L record prediction . I'm sure it was just an oversight that you haven't submitted one right ? I'm assuming it will be 0-16 ,since this team is loaded with useless talent top to bottom. I've noticed all your BZ awards so, you should have zero trouble knocking a few answers out. Thanks.

Goobylal
09-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Don't hold your breath waiting for Op's in-depth analysis of Hairston. It ain't coming. It's obvious he thought he heard that Hairston only played LT against the Lions' 3rd stringers, and only did so-so. None of which is true. The amazing thing is the leap of logic he makes, saying the Bills are "desperate" because they drafted Hairston to only play RT (another wrong statement), but moved him to LT only because Bell struggled against the Broncos.

X-Era
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
One of my favorite picks in our entire draft as you all know... I hope for big things.

EDS
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Don't hold your breath waiting for Op's in-depth analysis of Hairston. It ain't coming. It's obvious he thought he heard that Hairston only played LT against the Lions' 3rd stringers, and only did so-so. None of which is true. The amazing thing is the leap of logic he makes, saying the Bills are "desperate" because they drafted Hairston to only play RT (another wrong statement), but moved him to LT only because Bell struggled against the Broncos.

Hairston basically did play against the Lions 3rd stringers though, as several of its projected starters on the DL were injured and most of the game was played by back-ups after the first few series. Against the Jags he played in a back-up capacity against other back-ups as I re-call. Please let me know if I am mistaken though.

What is most unnerving about all of this is that Bell is seemingly not taking the next step. People justified his poor play last season due to the inability to work-out properly due to injuries he was recovering from. This off-season he had no excuses and now has a decent number of games under his belt that he should be able to build off his experience.

Right now the only guy who people can really be confident in as a long-term piece of the offensive line puzzle is Wood, who has unfortunately proven to be injiry prone. The rest have question marks - Bell appears to be out of favor and Levitre is fighting for his spot as well, against a guy who has been cut a few times already. Urbik and Pears remain reclaimation projects that may or may not work out.

Hairston certaintly has a good opportunity to play given the uncertainty across the line.

mayotm
09-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Guy has 60,000 posts here in 9 years right around 18 a day. I'll give him the benifit of the doubt and guess he only *****es in 90% of his posts.

So basically for the last 9 years he has posted roughly every waking hour of his life something to ***** about the Bills.

I actually feel sorry for him.It's actually higher than 90%.

CAbills
09-09-2011, 04:45 PM

He only played the last two preseason games.

acehole
09-09-2011, 04:46 PM
You said hairs ton...

Night Train
09-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Nix is just thinking out loud and little else.

Nice overreactions. What a surprise. :up:

Captain Obvious
09-09-2011, 05:36 PM
me being wrong?

Not gonna be a problem.

But its always is a problem because you have caveats.. Last year it was because Matthew Stafford didn't start

ServoBillieves
09-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Too much crap to sift through to read this whole thread, but how is Bell worse than Pears? I dunno what to think until they play a regular season game but why not toss him in over Pears and let the experienced LT (albeit not that great) hold down the back side while making Urbik look halfway decent.

YardRat
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I mentioned in the preseason game day thread (Jax?) that Hairston would be the LT of the future. I think he looks the part. I hope he does pan out, because if so and Bell (or a better alternative) can be plugged in at RT that would make for a better o-line at some point.

Mahdi
09-09-2011, 07:35 PM
He would have to play first and prove he is anything but a scrub.

bigbub2352
09-09-2011, 09:50 PM
start him...baptism by fire...bell is a bum,,,,can't do worse...bell would be an ideal backup swing tackle...he is no starter...to weak

BertSquirtgum
09-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Bell has never had any business starting he is a damn 7th round pick and he blows. The Bills were not going to luck out again and find a premier LT in a late round again.

OpIv37
09-09-2011, 10:59 PM

I actually feel sorry for him.

Once again, making it about me.

Instead of feeling sorry for me, you should devote that emotion toward the organization for giving me that many things to ***** about.

BidsJr
09-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Instead of feeling sorry for me, you should devote that emotion toward the organization for giving me that many things to ***** about.

No I'll just feel sorry for you, and my priorities would be in the proper order.

You should focus on the things you can control in life and not get so worked up on the things you can't. You would then be a much happier person.

X-Era
09-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Bell has never had any business starting he is a damn 7th round pick and he blows. The Bills were not going to luck out again and find a premier LT in a late round again.I disagree and I think he is underrated. I think his peak may be just above solid as a starter... that he will never be elite. But, I don't think he sucks I like him better than Pears and I think he may just play solid this year at LT.

I'd like Hairston to stick to RT. Yes, he may be able to play LT in a pinch and could be an option as a backup LT right away. But, I thin his future is at RT and he could become very good there. I'd rather us determine whether Bell is the answer at LT. If he isn't, he's a UFA and can walk. We then will need to go shopping for a new LT which won't be cheap.

As far as 7th round, I don't care where or if a guy gets drafted if he can play.

better days
09-10-2011, 08:41 AM
I disagree and I think he is underrated. I think his peak may be just above solid as a starter... that he will never be elite. But, I don't think he sucks I like him better than Pears and I think he may just play solid this year at LT.

I'd like Hairston to stick to RT. Yes, he may be able to play LT in a pinch and could be an option as a backup LT right away. But, I thin his future is at RT and he could become very good there. I'd rather us determine whether Bell is the answer at LT. If he isn't, he's a UFA and can walk. We then will need to go shopping for a new LT which won't be cheap.

As far as 7th round, I don't care where or if a guy gets drafted if he can play.

Well, if Bell walks in FA, the new DRAFTED LT will be pretty cheap, cheaper than resigning Bell.

Mahdi
09-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Bell improved last season, that is undeniable. Now, if he does not take the next step this year, particularly in terms of run blocking, then that would have to be it and we should move on with another prospect.

mayotm
09-10-2011, 09:04 AM

Instead of feeling sorry for me, you should devote that emotion toward the organization for giving me that many things to ***** about.You should devote your emotion to how much Notre Dame sucks.

X-Era
09-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, if Bell walks in FA, the new DRAFTED LT will be pretty cheap, cheaper than resigning Bell.I care about the play, not Ralph's wallet.

If you can upgrade it with a rookie in year 1, I'm good. If you can't, you get worse with a hope to get eventually better.

Mike
09-10-2011, 11:47 AM

That happened too and then the Bills traded the guy. Since trading him, they have not filled the LT position as many like yourself thought they would.

Lastly, why not be even keeled? Instead of arguing that he could become Ogden, he could also become a nobody which is far more likely. There is positivity and then there is delusional thinking. The chances of turning a good player into an Ogden is pretty low, the chances turning a bad player into Ogden is even lower! Your like the guy that plays the Lotto every week and hopes to win, but never does, and tells himself to remain positive. At some point the reality has to set in.

Mike
09-10-2011, 11:53 AM

Skepticism is not allowed. You need to be a blind, cool aide drinking, trabalistic homeristic fan...BTW, Fitz is the second coming of Manning, Spiller will be better than Barry Sanders, and Steve Johnson will be a shiftier version of Jerry Rice, the Bills will go 48-0 and win 5 back to back Super Bowls to become the best team of all time of all sports, not only on this planet but on all planets. They won't be just World Champions, but will be the First ever Universal Champions....

X-Era
09-10-2011, 12:06 PM
That happened too and then the Bills traded the guy. Since trading him, they have not filled the LT position as many like yourself thought they would.

Lastly, why not be even keeled? Instead of arguing that he could become Ogden, he could also become a nobody which is far more likely. There is positivity and then there is delusional thinking. The chances of turning a good player into an Ogden is pretty low, the chances turning a bad player into Ogden is even lower! Your like the guy that plays the Lotto every week and hopes to win, but never does, and tells himself to remain positive. At some point the reality has to set in.Why is that you're either Johnathan Ogden or you're a nobody?

Too black and white for me.

I'm good with a starting LT who has is simply solid. Sure, I'd like an all-pro but I don't need it. If Bell becomes simply solid I'm good with keeping. IMO, he has been that at times but he also has played sub-par. If he can stay healthy and show consistency, I'm alright with settling for solid.

better days
09-10-2011, 12:10 PM
I care about the play, not Ralph's wallet.

If you can upgrade it with a rookie in year 1, I'm good. If you can't, you get worse with a hope to get eventually better.

Well, unless Bell plays WELL this year there is no point in giving him another penny IMO. I would rather see how a Rookie does & let him get some experience.

psubills62
09-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Skepticism is not allowed. You need to be a blind, cool aide drinking, trabalistic homeristic fan....
BULL crap. Skepticism is rampant on this board and it's only the low-life, pessimistic, blind, irritant fans who claim it's not allowed. It's people like you who try and suppress any hint of optimism.

Mike
09-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Why is that you're either Johnathan Ogden or you're a nobody?

Too black and white for me.

I'm good with a starting LT who has is simply solid. Sure, I'd like an all-pro but I don't need it. If Bell becomes simply solid I'm good with keeping. IMO, he has been that at times but he also has played sub-par. If he can stay healthy and show consistency, I'm alright with settling for solid.

Well, the top talent win the SB which is the goal.... Otherwise you are right. There is a black and white thing where you are a somebody or nobody. These players could turn out to be decent or solid starters like many NFL players.

Mike
09-10-2011, 12:41 PM
BULL crap. Skepticism is rampant on this board and it's only the low-life, pessimistic, blind, irritant fans who claim it's not allowed. It's people like you who try and suppress any hint of optimism.

Wow. I love the attack Bill O'Really... The problem is that you don't even know the difference between Optimism and Fanaticism.

psubills62
09-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Wow. I love the attack Bill O'Really... The problem is that you don't even know the difference between Optimism and Fanaticism.
Who started the attacks with "blind, cool aide drinking trabalistic homeristic fans"?

I don't know the difference? Irony at its finest I see.

Mike
09-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Do you even know what Optimism is? What of Fanaticism?

Mike
09-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I'll take that as a No. You don't know the difference. To you they are one and the same...

Luisito23
09-10-2011, 01:05 PM
The Bills were not going to luck out again and find a premier LT in a late round again.

Don't worry, with this move coming up, they'll give themselves 2 more years.

psubills62
09-10-2011, 01:18 PM
I'll take that as a No. You don't know the difference. To you they are one and the same...
Haha yes, not answering in six minutes means I have no clue. Sorry you're not a priority for me.

Optimism is realism with the positives accentuated. Fanaticism is blind devotion no matter what. Two very different things. What's amusing is when people like you see even the smallest positive thing and immediately shout "Homer! Fanatic! Blind devotee!"

OpIv37
09-10-2011, 01:37 PM
No I'll just feel sorry for you, and my priorities would be in the proper order.

You should focus on the things you can control in life and not get so worked up on the things you can't. You would then be a much happier person.
Sorry but this message board is about the TEAM, not me. If you actually think you can tell if someone is happy or not by what they post on the Internet about an underperforming football team, and if you actually care that someone you don't even know is more upset about that team than you think they should be, then your priorities are NOT in the right place.

OpIv37
09-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Haha yes, not answering in six minutes means I have no clue. Sorry you're not a priority for me.

Optimism is realism with the positives accentuated. Fanaticism is blind devotion no matter what. Two very different things. What's amusing is when people like you see even the smallest positive thing and immediately shout "Homer! Fanatic! Blind devotee!"
The minute you accentuate the positives, you are no longer being realistic.

OpIv37
09-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Lmao- every time someone posts something skeptical about the team, the gang of usual suspects jump on the skeptic in a desperate- but usually fruitless- effort to refute what the skeptic posted. So, while it's technically allowed, criticism of the team will always be met with a strong backlash, no matter how apt the criticism may be.

Now, you'll probably come back and say "well, every time someone posts something positive, someone like you comes in and craps all over it. That's true, but there are two key differences:
1. The positive stuff generally isn't grounded in reality and
2. The skeptics/cynics/realists/whiners never complain about the positive posts because they understand that it's legit discussion of the team, but the homers always complain about the negative stuff- no matter how realistic it is- because they simply don't want to acknowledge the negative.

psubills62
09-10-2011, 01:47 PM
The minute you accentuate the positives, you are no longer being realistic.
Just because you accentuate something doesn't mean you aren't being realistic, especially if people admit they're being optimistic (which is not the same thing as homer or fanatic, by the way).

So does that also mean that when people like you accentuate the negatives, that means you are no longer being realistic?

OpIv37
09-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Just because you accentuate something doesn't mean you aren't being realistic, especially if people admit they're being optimistic (which is not the same thing as homer or fanatic, by the way).

So does that also mean that when people like you accentuate the negatives, that means you are no longer being realistic?
This is the problem: we don't accentuate the negatives. It really is that bad. If it wasn't that bad, we'd win a lot more games. You have to accentuate the positives to say anything good about this team because the positives are few and far between. The negatives are running rampant.

psubills62
09-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Lmao- every time someone posts something skeptical about the team, the gang of usual suspects jump on the skeptic in a desperate- but usually fruitless- effort to refute what the skeptic posted. So, while it's technically allowed, criticism of the team will always be met with a strong backlash, no matter how apt the criticism may be.
Every time? That would be exhausting. No, people only jump on "skeptical" posts when they're illogical or just plain dumb. I've seen a hundred skeptical posts that don't get jumped on. Especially since most of the people on here ARE skeptical.

Now, you'll probably come back and say "well, every time someone posts something positive, someone like you comes in and craps all over it. That's true, but there are two key differences:
2. The skeptics/cynics/realists/whiners never complain about the positive posts because they understand that it's legit discussion of the team, but the homers always complain about the negative stuff- no matter how realistic it is- because they simply don't want to acknowledge the negative.
Wow, what a load of crap. I tend to jump on people (like yourself), but only when I find you're being illogical or just dumb with your posts.

I cannot believe what a bunch of BS this post is. You and other negative people never complain about the positive stuff? Hahahaha what??? Who was the one *****ing about how it's so stupid to create a forum where people talk about the positives? Who was the one who could only point to 2 posts on the main forum as being even remotely positive?

Arrogance at its finest to simply claim "positive stuff generally isn't grounded in reality." Absolutely untrue. And to assume that all the negative stuff is grounded in reality is untrue as well.

psubills62
09-10-2011, 01:57 PM
This is the problem: we don't accentuate the negatives. It really is that bad. If it wasn't that bad, we'd win a lot more games. You have to accentuate the positives to say anything good about this team because the positives are few and far between. The negatives are running rampant.
Haha, who's blind now? I can't believe all the crap you're spewing out. Yes, you do accentuate the negatives.

X-Era
09-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Why does it always end up here?

Why can't it just be a discussion on the merits of an opinion? Why does it need to be labeling and even attacks?

The labels are just BS. This is a 4 and 12 team. It is what it is. They haven't won a SB yet this year, and they have yet to play a game. I'm willing to wait and see. I'm exited about a lot of things and worried about others. I like much of the way they operate and dislike others. To me the glass is neither half way full or half way empty... it's simply half way.

I am now and always will be a Bills fan... a Bills fan who likes to come here and discuss the Bills... both positives and negatives. The label is Bills fan on a Bills message board.

YardRat
09-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Even when the team was going to four successive Super Bowls, there were naysayers and critics that only emphasized the negatives and overlooked the positives.

There were people that hated Marv Levy, because he was too conservative (rarely would Levy go for it on fourth down, instead opting to punt or attempt a FG). There were people who wanted Kelly out, and Reich in, as the full time starter. They dogged on Bruce for his suspension and 'apnea', or for taking training camp off. On and on and on...regardless of whether the team was winning or losing.

For some, there will never be any positives, until the team actually wins a Super Bowl. Everything is countered by negatives until that point. But, even then, it won't be good enough. It will be 'luck', or the game will have been 'handed to them', or some other bull****...anything to throw a negative spin.

X-Era
09-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Even when the team was going to four successive Super Bowls, there were naysayers and critics that only emphasized the negatives and overlooked the positives.

There were people that hated Marv Levy, because he was too conservative (rarely would Levy go for it on fourth down, instead opting to punt or attempt a FG). There were people who wanted Kelly out, and Reich in, as the full time starter. They dogged on Bruce for his suspension and 'apnea', or for taking training camp off. On and on and on...regardless of whether the team was winning or losing.

For some, there will never be any positives, until the team actually wins a Super Bowl. Everything is countered by negatives until that point. But, even then, it won't be good enough. It will be 'luck', or the game will have been 'handed to them', or some other bull****...anything to throw a negative spin.

Yes, that happens... and? So what? Is it annoying sometimes? Yes. It's also annoying when we hear extreme optimism on everything too.

My point is simply to get over the annoyance and argue the topic. Argue the point. There are two sides to every argument... that will never change. You will probably hear both on this board... that will also probably never change.

BidsJr
09-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Sorry but this message board is about the TEAM, not me. If you actually think you can tell if someone is happy or not by what they post on the Internet about an underperforming football team, and if you actually care that someone you don't even know is more upset about that team than you think they should be, then your priorities are NOT in the right place.

Edited... for TOS violation... Let's stay on topic.

YardRat
09-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Yes, that happens... and? So what? Is it annoying sometimes? Yes. It's also annoying when we hear extreme optimism on everything too.

My point is simply to get over the annoyance and argue the topic. Argue the point. There are two sides to every argument... that will never change. You will probably hear both on this board... that will also probably never change.
That was pretty much my point.

X-Era
09-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I realize I'm guilty as well but let's get back to arguing the topic of this thread... Chris Hairston.

mayotm
09-10-2011, 03:09 PM

2. The skeptics/cynics/realists/whiners never complain about the positive posts because they understand that it's legit discussion of the team, but the homers always complain about the negative stuff- no matter how realistic it is- because they simply don't want to acknowledge the negative.Thanks for the laugh. The second of your "key differences" is especially hilarious. Keep up the good work champ!

sdbillsfan2
09-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I'd still like to know why you never posted a prediction as to the Bills W/L record.
You have an opinion on all other matters regarding the Team , so please share with us OP. .........make yours. Afraid to stick your neck out ? over sight ? c'mon throw a prediction out there. from a "skeptics/cynics/realists/whiners" point of view of course.
OP....you may be a nice guy away from the board but like alot of other guys in the DC area these days, your either ducking questions or looking to push an idea that the public is tired of hearing. Personally, I think you may be trying to earn another BZ award for whining or arguing.

PSU asked:

"Op, feel free to tell us why, based on Hairston's preseason play, he hasn't been impressive. Tell us based on your own eyes and what you saw of him.

My guess is that you haven't even watched him play, considering you didn't know he played LT against Jacksonville (and for some reason, keep repeating that the final preseason game was his only one at LT, despite being told otherwise on multiple occasions). Do you have a foundation for your argument based on how he's actually played football?"

No reply ?????

RoscoeMagic
09-10-2011, 05:25 PM
I realize I'm guilty as well but let's get back to arguing the topic of this thread... Chris Hairston.
So does this mean, in essence, Nix was wrong about all three offensive lineman he drafted?

Calloway (I know he was a 7th rounder but still) cut, Wang cut and Hairston better than he thought? :scratch:

I also do hope that this is an appraisal of Hairston by Nix as opposed to displaying a complete lack of confidence in Bell. I do think it is the former, because Bell did play adequate at LT all last year and held up 16 games--he was average but he certainly has upside.

I don't fully understand the philosophy with going with a "bigger" o-line. Bigger doesn't always mean better, and likewise smaller isn't always a bad thing--just ask...actually I don't get any girls, but if I did, you could have asked her.

TigerJ
09-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I think size has something to do with the kind of blocking you want the line to do, especially run blocking. In a zone blocking scheme, the effectiveness of your running offesne is dependent on the ability of your offensive linemen to move laterally with some quickness, and then allowing the runner to take advantage of gaps that develop. You tend to want smaller more athletic offensive linement when you're a zone blocking team. The Bills run primarily a drive blocking philosophy in the running game. You want your linemen to engage the defensive linemen and push 'em back plain and simple. You get your running backs moving forward more quickly most of the time. There will still be gaps, but the process by which they form is a bit different. If you're a drive blocking team, you want big mean men. If they are really athletic, it's a bonus, but they aren't going to have to move nearly as much in a drive blocking scheme.

In pass blocking, as pretty much everyone knows, the left tackle has the toughest job, because he's the one who most often draws the assignment of protecting his QB's blind side against the speediest, most mobile defensive end or rush linebacker the defense can put on the field, guys like Dwight Freeney, Tamba Hali and others. From reports we've gotten, Demetrius Bell is pretty athletic and has quick feet, but is so late coming to the game of football that he's pretty raw technique wise still. Hairston isn't as athletic, but I think he's pretty smart and a good technician. We'll see what wins out in the end.

Goobylal
09-11-2011, 12:14 AM
I think size has something to do with the kind of blocking you want the line to do, especially run blocking. In a zone blocking scheme, the effectiveness of your running offesne is dependent on the ability of your offensive linemen to move laterally with some quickness, and then allowing the runner to take advantage of gaps that develop. You tend to want smaller more athletic offensive linement when you're a zone blocking team. The Bills run primarily a drive blocking philosophy in the running game. You want your linemen to engage the defensive linemen and push 'em back plain and simple. You get your running backs moving forward more quickly most of the time. There will still be gaps, but the process by which they form is a bit different. If you're a drive blocking team, you want big mean men. If they are really athletic, it's a bonus, but they aren't going to have to move nearly as much in a drive blocking scheme.

In pass blocking, as pretty much everyone knows, the left tackle has the toughest job, because he's the one who most often draws the assignment of protecting his QB's blind side against the speediest, most mobile defensive end or rush linebacker the defense can put on the field, guys like Dwight Freeney, Tamba Hali and others. From reports we've gotten, Demetrius Bell is pretty athletic and has quick feet, but is so late coming to the game of football that he's pretty raw technique wise still. Hairston isn't as athletic, but I think he's pretty smart and a good technician. We'll see what wins out in the end.
I'll give you one guess: the guy drafted by the Bills and whose contract does NOT end at the end of the year.

X-Era
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
So does this mean, in essence, Nix was wrong about all three offensive lineman he drafted?

Calloway (I know he was a 7th rounder but still) cut, Wang cut and Hairston better than he thought? :scratch:

I also do hope that this is an appraisal of Hairston by Nix as opposed to displaying a complete lack of confidence in Bell. I do think it is the former, because Bell did play adequate at LT all last year and held up 16 games--he was average but he certainly has upside.

I don't fully understand the philosophy with going with a "bigger" o-line. Bigger doesn't always mean better, and likewise smaller isn't always a bad thing--just ask...actually I don't get any girls, but if I did, you could have asked her.I'm a Hairston fan from long before the draft and I think we nailed that pick. I was also a fan of Calloway where we took him. However, I was never a fan of Wang.

As far as confidence in Bell, I don't buy into the whole notion of needing to worry about a players insecurity. If the guy isn't getting it done and we have a better option, make a change. Now, I don;t think you can to that to excess. I mean you can't change QB's back and forth throughout a game. And you have to evaluate over more than one game. But, if by mid-season Bell has regressed or is playing sub-par and you feel Hairston gives you a better chance, go with Hairston. I would show confidence in players that earn it...