PDA

View Full Version : Three to Focus on – Bills @ Chiefs

gochiefs
09-09-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/09/three-to-focus-on-bills-chiefs/

The Chiefs and Bills open the season with a repeat of a Week 8 matchup from last season. On that day, the Chiefs subjected the Bills to their seventh-straight defeat to open the season. However, with a score of only 13-10 in that game and an offseason of building for both squads, this should be an interesting game.
Both sides have offensive systems and skill position players that could ignite opening weekend with outstanding plays. Jamaal Charles is one of the most dangerous backs in the league and, on the opposite side, Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are both multi-talented backs who could hurt the Chiefs from the backfield or while lined-up out wide. At wide receiver the likes of Steve Breaston, Dwayne Bowe and Steve Johnson could light up the airways inKansas City. So with all of those exciting possibilities, let’s take a look at three matchups in the trenches that will set the platform and allow those skill position players can lead their team to victory.

1) Eric Wood’s first test … Kelly Gregg

Eric Wood enters his first full campaign as the Bills’ starting center with a tremendous challenge in the shape of Kelly Gregg. Gregg has been one of the best nose tackles for the better part of the last decade and even with his advancing years and plenty of miles on his tires, he’s still capable of top quality performances. Gregg ranked among the Top 25 defensive tackles in the league in our run defense grading last season, grading +1.0 or above in run D six times. The challenge for Wood here will come not necessarily in terms of Gregg’s physical prowess but in terms of leverage. Leverage is king in the NFL and few defensive tackles play with it better than Gregg. Combine that with his still outstanding motor – even at the age of 34 – and Wood is sure to have his hands full this Sunday. The Bills have a creative offense but will still need to establish the running game and Wood being able to handle Gregg one-on-one will go a long way towards them being able to do that.

2) Containing Tamba Hali

The Bills have an entirely underwhelming pair of offensive tackles in the shape of Demetrius Bell and Erik Pears and this is bad news for Ryan Fitzpatrick with the Bills coming up against our top-rated pass rusher from the 2010 season, Tamba Hali. Hali was simply monstrous last season and the encounter with Buffalo was no different. Rather alarmingly for the Bills, they haven’t made any personnel changes that would fill you with confidence in their ability to keep Hali in check this time around. Hali racked up two sacks, a hit and seven pressures against Buffalo in Kansas City last season and Bell will need help from backs and tight ends to prevent him from having a similar impact this Sunday. Simply put, Bell and Pears need to step up and they’ll need all the help they can get as Hali is capable of single-handedly shutting down the Bills’ passing game.

3) Controlling Kyle Williams

If Hali is the Chiefs’ defensive game winner then the Bills have a player of similarly destructive capabilities in the shape of Kyle Williams. Williams has shown flashes of dominance in the past but he put it all together in 2010 and was by far the best defensive tackle in the league. Whether playing over the nose or in a four-man line, Williams couldn’t be contained last season. In a matchup between two creative 2010 offenses, the game turned into a defensive stalemate in large part because of the performances of two players: Hali and Williams. Williams “chipped in” with six defensive stops on the day including a pair of sacks. The Chiefs interior offensive line won’t have fond memories of that game and will be keen to improve in this next opportunity. Both offenses have the potential to break loose, but if neither team can control the other’s blue chip defensive talent we could be in store for another slug fest.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
im looking for williams and dareus in 4 man fronts to wreak havoc! those 2 should alone help us jump to average in run d...

mikemac2001
09-09-2011, 04:59 PM
first key is to overcome the LOGO at the airport

ServoBillieves
09-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Want to see how the right side of the line fares, how much time Fitzy has or if we're doing the "3 step and fire" method. Want to see how the D does on 3rd down, and also the back 4 and Spiller. **** I just want to see some Buffalo Bills football!

better days
09-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Look for Brad Smith to be the Joker in the Bills deck. He was not accounted for in that write up, but he will make some BIG plays on the field Sunday.

mikemac2001
09-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Look for Brad Smith to be the Joker in the Bills deck. He was not accounted for in that write up, but he will make some BIG plays on the field Sunday.

Thats exactly why i liked the signing

he could have made 1 play in 4 games last year which could have led to a win

KC/BAL/PIT/CHI

i know anyone could have made a play but thats what we signed him for he will help us get more first downs which will lead to more points and better field position

Extremebillsfan247
09-10-2011, 11:03 AM
3 keys for a Bills win: stopping Charles, containing Bowe, Keeping Hali out of the offensive backfield. The rest will take care of itself.

bills4ver
09-10-2011, 11:39 AM
3 keys for a Bills win: stopping Charles, containing Bowe, Keeping Hali out of the offensive backfield. The rest will take care of itself.

Exactly this game is an easy win as long as we stop the RUN, watch for Bowe and keep Fitz upright.

With our additions to defense I see some crying chief fans in the future, like wtf how did they beat us.

I think Charles will have a few break away runs cause were so new overall but I think we'll win the war against the run overall.

Mr. Pink
09-10-2011, 11:45 AM
How has McCluster looked so far this preseason?

gochiefs
09-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Pretty good.

TigerJ
09-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I do think it will be an interesting game, but then the first game of the season is always going to be interesting because it's the first time you can get any real indication of the net effect of a team's offseason moves. On the Chiefs forum to which someone posted a link, one poster thought the Chiefs got better and the Bills got worse. I don't think many of us believe that, but we really won't know much of anything for certain until tomorrow.

For my part, I think the Bills got quite a bit better. Trading Lee Evans away was a loss, but Chan Gailey wasn't making great use of him, so he was not as valuable to the Bills as he will be to the Ravens. I think with the additions of Marcel Dareus, Shawn Merriman, Nick Barnett and Kirk Morrison, the Bills' defense is much better. In particular, I think the Pro Football Focus blog was a bit neglectful in its failure to note how the presence of Dareus and Merriman will change the front seven. If Dareus is as much of a load as we think he is, then opposing offensive lines are going to have a real tough time coping with Williams and Dareus right next to each other. It's the same with Merriman. There are still a lot of people that think Merriman is washed up. They didn't see what he did in the first preseason game. If Merriman stays healthy, he's going to get a significant number of sacks this season. I know the health issue has been huge with him the last couple years, but I think a lot of that had to do with scar tissue on his achilles, and reportedly the Bills' medical staff was able to help him get that cleared up. So, we'll just have to see.

I know there weren't as many changes on the offensive side. The line looks pretty much like it did at the end of last season. The biggest addition on the offense is Marcus Easley being healthy (except he's feeling under the weather this week). There are some reasons to think maybe the offense will perform a little better this season, but we really have to see it in the regular season, not just the third preseason game, to think that's more than a pipe dream.

I understand Kansas City picked up some pass rushing to complement Tamba Hali, and Kelly Gregg on the interior of the line. They also got another good WR. Of course they lost Moeaki and offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. Matt Cassel is nicked up, but he didn't play very well for the Chiefs last season any way. The Chiefs had an even worse preseason than Buffalo. From my perspective, Buffalo probably made bigger strides compared to a year ago than did KC, but then we can't really know until the game is played.

RoscoeMagic
09-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Pretty good.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nsjPrsmsll0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cookie G
09-10-2011, 05:13 PM
3 more to focus on...

Dareus vs. Jon Asamoah and Barry Richardson.

It'll take both.

and even then....