PDA

View Full Version : ESPN story on Fitzmagic

BidsJr
09-09-2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6947144/can-ryan-fitzpatrick-save-buffalo

Found this on ESPN front page, not sure what grantland.com is.

warsawbassman
09-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Cool that they did a story on Fitz. But could that douche bag make Buffalo and WNY sound any worse. I didn't realize I lived in a concentration camp.

YardRat
09-10-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't like the 'Fitzmagic' tag.

TrEd FTW
09-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Grantland is run by Bill Simmons. He and his cohorts have an absolute disdain for this region. It's weird.

ParanoidAndroid
09-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I disagree, warsaw!
Would anyone disagree that Niagara Falls and Buffalo are in decline? Did he say anything that wasn't true? Declining population, beautiful buildings boarded up, crumbling, mothballed factories and grain silos...
If anything, the article made Buffalo seem hard luck but endearing, nothing like a concentration camp at all. Articles like this make people want to root for Buffalo. It also doesn't hurt that he mentioned the top 10 ranking for "Best Cities to Raise a Family In" from Forbes.
I think part of the problem is that there are too many Buffalonians who just think we are going to eventually prosper because we deserve it, we've suffered long enough.
We get billboards about fixing the Bills but no one wants to petition the City or County government. There is too much concern about the federal government and not enough about local government.
I live just outside of DC but I have intentions of returning to Buffalo. I also intend to be actively engaged in local government politics.
Buffalo still has a solid intellectual base, the infrastructure to handle thrice its current population, great local universities and a solid, willing workforce.
All it needs is to start actually moving.

I'm with you on the "Fitzmagic" thing, Yardie.

Don't Panic
09-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Two things I took away...

I can't understand how anyone could not be cheering for Fitz to succeed. I mean, how can't you love the guy?

As for WNY, he is accurate on many points. He neglects the good of the region, but Fitz did a good job of meeting that aim, which was included in the piece.

Jan Reimers
09-10-2011, 10:28 AM
The sarcastic ***** who wrote this article should spend some time in Buffalo. He would find world class architecture, a rich and varied arts scene, a thriving theater disrict, incredible parks, a booming medical campus, first rate colleges and universities, and a city on the comeback trail.

ParanoidAndroid
09-10-2011, 12:10 PM
The sarcastic ***** who wrote this article should spend some time in Buffalo. He would find world class architecture, a rich and varied arts scene, a thriving theater disrict, incredible parks, a booming medical campus, first rate colleges and universities, and a city on the comeback trail.

I didn't read sarcasm.

All those things you mention are true about Buffalo. No one knows about them because no one thinks it's there except Buffalonians.

better days
09-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I didn't read sarcasm.

All those things you mention are true about Buffalo. No one knows about them because no one thinks it's there except Buffalonians.

You did not read the sarcasm? If not, I know you do not get this board at least half the time.

BillyT92679
09-10-2011, 12:44 PM
He actually mentions all those things... talks a LOT about Olmstead and Wright
I thought it was a fair piece.

Luisito23
09-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Fitz will have a good year I think...I just worry about those crazy INTs he tries to throw.

I still wanna draft someone else next year though.

Beebe's Kid
09-10-2011, 01:16 PM
http://www.peterrichmond.com/about-the-author/

Read the guys bio. He fancies himself a sort of post-modern Kerouac.

He has written several books, with the most recent being Badasses, about the Raiders.

I think he just got all smoked up and really went for the dramatic angle.

Buffalo is not as bad as he makes it sound, and he is not as good as he makes himself sound.

BidsJr
09-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Come on guys, Fitzmagic is a bit tongue and cheek (;

RoscoeMagic
09-10-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't like the 'Fitzmagic' tag.
Agree. There's only one Magicman on the Bills and it's Roscoe :air:

THATHURMANATOR
09-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Author is a douche

zone
09-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Agree. There's only one Magicman on the Bills and it's Roscoe :air:
Wasn't our long snapper a magician?

BidsJr
09-28-2011, 11:00 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1190862/index.htm

They are stealing my nickname!

malvado78
09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1190862/index.htm

They are stealing my nickname!

That article is from the FUTURE!!!!

madness
09-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Fitzmagic has already been used on highlights.

BidsJr
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Fitzmagic has already been used on highlights.

This thread is from the past.

madness
09-28-2011, 11:53 AM
This thread is from the past.

:doh:

Mudflap1
09-28-2011, 11:53 AM
I think you guys are too sensitive. Buffalo is not a booming town right now... and he doesn't trash it... and then he actually gives some props to the health industry, etc. coming on there. It's pretty much a tell it like it is article.

TheBrownBear
09-28-2011, 12:04 PM
That's a good piece, imo. I'm surprised that you guys would take offense to it. The writer pays homage to Buffalo's history with more detail and respect than 99.9% of sportswriters - whose investigations of the region typically end at "snow" and "Buffalo Wings." He even mentions that Buffalo is on the upswing and refers to it's listing in Forbes as a top-10 city to raise a family in (which is true, btw).

better days
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM

He did mention all of that. Aside from calling the Ralph a Cinder Block Stadium & saying Trent played the first 3 games ( the 3 games Fitz did not start were the 1st 2 & the last) I think he was pretty accurate.

better days
09-28-2011, 01:55 PM
That's a good piece, imo. I'm surprised that you guys would take offense to it. The writer pays homage to Buffalo's history with more detail and respect than 99.9% of sportswriters - whose investigations of the region typically end at "snow" and "Buffalo Wings." He even mentions that Buffalo is on the upswing and refers to it's listing in Forbes as a top-10 city to raise a family in (which is true, btw).

I agree, but he did throw the wings thing in there.