• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Bills one of the most profitable teams in the league

"Forbes ranks the Bills ninth, with an annual operating income of $40.9 million (that's after they pay the players)."

They are ninth in operating income but 29th in total value. That screams sale ready to me.

"According to Forbes Magazine, Buffalo, and other small market teams, drive up profits by driving down their payroll."

Ralph's wallet can go **** itself, I want to win.

As I've said, Pegula is willing to sacrifice profits for wins, the Bills want to sacrifice wins for profits.
    Last edited by X-Era; 09-10-2011, 07:20 AM.

• Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Re: Bills one of the most profitable teams in the league

Wow,

Thus proving "Ralph's cheap" is a valid argument.
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Scumbag College
      Wow,

All the circumstantial evidence has been there and has been charted by some of us for years. Had TD never made a big splurge on Dockery and Walker, there really would be no doubt.

But, I still don't believe they consciously make an effort to lose. They make an effort to maximize profits. But in their minds, they don't see it as maximizing profits at the direct expense of the product.

And just so were clear, I am not saying I want to just start spending stupid money to any player with a heart beat. I'm saying there is zero reason not to be upgrading the talent on this roster. And to me that means if you know you are sub-par and have weaknesses that you don't have a proven answer for, go get someone better. We didn't do enough of that in this years FA.

Again, the Bills can't make 25 mill in profits for a year? I mean if the Bills operate with a fixed budget that nets them 40 mill in profits, cutting the profits to 25 mill would kill them? That would mean 15 more mill in additional spending for players.

And it's illogical to think that extending our own is cutting into that 40 mill profit. They are doing it and have been doing that for years... It's already planned. The 40 mill profit includes extensions to players.

It's pretty much a direct situation. When they earn 40 mill each year instead of 25 mill, they didn't get 15 mill in upgrades to the roster.

The cap is not the issue, the money being available in not the issue, the issue is no interest in spending it.
      Last edited by X-Era; 09-10-2011, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

Damn. Hard to argue with those numbers. Just waiting for nature to take it's course I suppose...

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

One more thing guys. I am excited for the season and think we may overachieve. The timing isn't great on this article considering the seasons about to kick off, but I can't control that obviously. Yes, I have a philosophical issue with the way the Bills operate. But, I still am a fan and look forward to the season.

Comment

• Cleve
            • Oct 2004

Yep, the Buffalo Bills are a cash cow, even without winning games. Why the hell would anyone move this team out of Buffalo? I've been saying for years that isn't going to happen - where could you move the team to make more money?

That's been the sword that skinflint "Hall of Fame" owner Ralph Wilson Jr. has been holding over WNY for years, basically extorting taxpayer money from us to pay for stadium improvements while lining his own billionaire pockets, and pulling vanity BS like naming a taxpayer funded stadium after himself because of his own arrogance and colossal personal ego.

In the meantime, he gets even cheaper, spends under the salary cap, and doesn't even care about winning.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
            per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

What you have to think about, from the standpoint of a sale, is that the Bills might only be able to make this kind of profit in Buffalo.

Much of their profitability comes from a sweetheart stadium lease arrangement, and servicing no debt. Some comes from the CBA's large/small market revenue sharing, and some from our savings on player salaries.

If the Bills were to sell and move (most likely to a large market), almost all of these advantages would go away. While there would be more revenue, there would also be a huge amount of new debt, and no subsidies as a small market team. They would almost certainly need to spend to the cap to capture the new fan base. And they would either have to build a new stadium - a tremendous financial burden - or play in a publicly financed stadium which is not likely to give them a free ride like they have through Erie County.

Who knows if profits would be anywhere near what they are in Buffalo?
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• bf1
                • Oct 2010

No surprise, Bills one of most profitable teams

So much for crying poverty

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Scumbag College
                  Wow,

Cheap or a smart businessman?

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                    • Sep 2003

Re: No surprise, Bills one of most profitable teams

The theory about setting up for a sale is silly. The Bills value is not linked to the profit they make. It's linked to the fact they are one of only 32 NFL franchises that rarely go up for auction. You think AEG would balk at buying the Bills over a few piddly contacts? If there are more than two bidders for the Bills expect the purchase price to be well over a billion dollars.

PTR
                    Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 09-10-2011, 08:49 AM.
                    10 Commandments of the D
                    1. Never stop Rocking.
                    2. Legalize all drugs.
                    3. Quit your day job.
                    4. All Religion should be taxed.
                    5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                    6. F**k her gently.
                    7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                    8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                    9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                    10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                      • Sep 2003

The good news for everyone who finds this situation unbearable is the Bills will be gone soon enough, never to depress you again. Can't wait.

As for Pegula and the Sabres, he's no fool. The money it takes to build a winner in the NHL is chump change compared to the NFL. And when the Bills leave town, the Sabres become the cash cow. Everything Pegula has spent so far is just interest off his $3B fortune.

PTR
                      Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 09-10-2011, 08:57 AM.
                      10 Commandments of the D
                      1. Never stop Rocking.
                      2. Legalize all drugs.
                      3. Quit your day job.
                      6. F**k her gently.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                        This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                        • Feb 2009

If the Bills are making 40 million a year, why would the new owner change anything? Obviously you might get an owner that would care about winning more than a bigger profit every year, but at the same time this might attract an owner that would say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just keep things as they are. Keep profiting that 40 million every year.
                        True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by THRILLHO
                          If the Bills are making 40 million a year, why would the new owner change anything? Obviously you might get an owner that would care about winning more than a bigger profit every year, but at the same time this might attract an owner that would say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and just keep things as they are. Keep profiting that 40 million every year.
                          Why? Because $40M is nothing when you are spending over a billion dollars for a franchise. Do you know $40M dollars is? 4% of a billion! You can buy a CD and get that.

You are also forgetting about debt service. The Bills make $40M in profit because Ralph has no debt on the team. If you had to borrow a couple hundred million you would be swimming in red ink. Besides, I thought this whole *****fest was about Ralph not spending enough money? Would we want a new owner to keep making $40M??

The value of an NFL franchise is all the stuff you can sell around it. Sponsorships, merchandising, real estate development, etc would be HUGE in Los Angeles. Don't kid yourself. The NFL does not care that 2 teams left before. They have been drooling over L.A. for decades.

PTR
                          Last edited by PromoTheRobot; 09-10-2011, 09:52 AM.
                          10 Commandments of the D
                          1. Never stop Rocking.
                          2. Legalize all drugs.
                          3. Quit your day job.
                          6. F**k her gently.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                            Cheap or a smart businessman?
                            They're one and the same.

Actually this article shows that the Bills are a total microcosm of the world today. Corners are cut, inferior products, work conditions, staffing, etc. are the norm and 99% of the world around them suffers; while a rich, old codger sits and cries poor as he racks up billions on the backs of the common man.
                            Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Cleve
                              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                              Why? Because $40M is nothing when you are spending over a billion dollars for a franchise. Do you know $40M dollars is? 4% of a billion! You can buy a CD and get that.

You are also forgetting about debt service. The Bills make $40M in profit because Ralph has no debt on the team. If you had to borrow a couple hundred million you would be swimming in red ink. Besides, I thought this whole *****fest was about Ralph not spending enough money? Would we want a new owner to keep making $40M??

The value of an NFL franchise is all the stuff you can sell around it. Sponsorships, merchandising, real estate development, etc would be HUGE in Los Angeles. Don't kid yourself. The NFL does not care that 2 teams left before. They have been drooling over L.A. for decades.

PTR
                              It seems to me that there's at least 23 other less profitable teams that should have to worry about relocation to LA before the Buffalo Bills do.

This lowly cart.... it hits harder and has a higher yards
                              per play average than the Bills' offense!

Comment

Working...
                              X