• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Is Fitz the answer?

This is maybe the single biggest issue with the Bills long term; finding a QB who can take us to the playoffs and SB.

The question has been raised over and over. But, to me this is the decision year. Fitz is a UFA after this year, meaning we have to make a decision on whether we want him as our long term starter one way or another. And because the decision can mean so much to the team success, it becomes a huge potential issue for the Bills.

If I were to look at Fitz based on last year I would have to say that he is not the long term solution. But, he has this year to step up into that role. He has the whole year to get it done. As a Bills fan, I want the long term solution as soon as possible. If that can be Fitz, I will be just fine with that. But, he has to show he can be that guy.

It's and exciting year with hopes of stepping up to the next level. And Fitz is a major part of that. It will be interesting to see if Fitz can become all we need.

• TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Is Fitz the answer?

Long term? No.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

We'll find out.

Depends more on the rest of the team than it does one position, actually.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Define "answer."

Is he the superstar QB that can lead this team to the Promised Land a la Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Absolutely not.

Is the the "caretaker" QB that could get us a SB win with the right pieces around him, like Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson etc?

Probably, but that would require the team committing to putting the right pieces around him, and I don't ever see Ralph doing that.

Of course, I don't see Ralph finding a superstar QB or paying one if he does happen to find one, so it's a catch-22.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
          • Sep 2008

He isn't a long term answer. However, he is just about to reach the prime of his career as a QB. The Bills potentially could get a very nice 2 to 3 year ride out of him. After that, they will need a QB in place to replace him. JMO

Comment

• Mad Max
            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
            Define "answer."

Is he the superstar QB that can lead this team to the Promised Land a la Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? Absolutely not.

Is the the "caretaker" QB that could get us a SB win with the right pieces around him, like Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson etc?

Probably, but that would require the team committing to putting the right pieces around him, and I don't ever see Ralph doing that.

Of course, I don't see Ralph finding a superstar QB or paying one if he does happen to find one, so it's a catch-22.
            OP I'm in the realist camp with you, but even so I gotta ask, why must you piz in everyone's cheerios on opening day?

Now go find your beer helmet!

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Define "answer."

Answer to me means he is the guy who does his job to a level that does not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs or SB.

I have been and am now worried that Fitz may become a limiting factor that may prevent this team from making a playoff or SB run.

For me, he is the answer if he doesn't keep us from the playoffs or if he's a reason we go there.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                Answer to me means he is the guy who does his job to a level that does not prevent the team from reaching the playoffs or SB.

I have been and am now worried that Fitz may become a limiting factor that may prevent this team from making a playoff or SB run.

For me, he is the answer if he doesn't keep us from the playoffs or if he's a reason we go there.
                if that's your definition, then I think he could be the answer. He's not the guy that's going to win us games, but he's not the guy that's going to lose us games either.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

if that's your definition, then I think he could be the answer. He's not the guy that's going to win us games, but he's not the guy that's going to lose us games either.
                  I will conceed that I think he's closer than I used to. But, I actually think he needs to do both. He needs to win us a few games and then not be the reason we lose.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

And honestly, right now this team has so many bigger problems than Fitz. I'd like to see us do better than Fitz, but I also think we have some much more pressing concerns. Unless someone like Luck falls into our laps, I wouldn't mind sticking it out with Fitz for a year or two while we fix the OL and DB's.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by X-Era

I think Fitzpatrick could be a good enough QB to get this team to a post season. But, they wouldn't get very far once there. He makes too many mistakes at crucial times in big games. That kind of thing would kill a team in the playoffs. JMO

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

And honestly, right now this team has so many bigger problems than Fitz. I'd like to see us do better than Fitz, but I also think we have some much more pressing concerns. Unless someone like Luck falls into our laps, I wouldn't mind sticking it out with Fitz for a year or two while we fix the OL and DB's.
                        I really don't agree. The OL is the next biggest issue but is easier to fix. JMO.

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                          I think Fitzpatrick could be a good enough QB to get this team to a post season. But, they wouldn't get very far once there. He makes too many mistakes at crucial times in big games. That kind of thing would kill a team in the playoffs. JMO
                          And to follow that train of thought, he would then not be the real answer. The goal is to win a SB. But yes, the playoffs would be nice.

Comment

• G Wolly
                            • Mar 2004

Fitz isn't the correct answer, but he's a competent answer.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by G Wolly
                              Fitz isn't the correct answer, but he's a competent answer.
                              Competent answer? He's capable of starting in the NFL? OK. Maybe you meant to say current answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X