PDA

View Full Version : Newton

better days
09-11-2011, 05:05 PM
He may have the Panthers ALONE in FIRST place of the NFC South at the end of today...........As the Bills are NOW.

I am HAPPY with Dareus, but as someone that has been one of Newton's biggest critics, I have to give him props. He is going to be a GREAT QB in this league.

MikeInRoch
09-11-2011, 05:07 PM
You say this after one game? Hmm.

Mr. Pink
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
And then literally a minute after this post Newton throws a terrible interception which is then followed by a Cardinal TD pass by Kolb.

:rofl:

FlyingDutchman
09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I dunno man I live in Charlotte and 2 weeks ago I was laughing...give him time. Not to say hes terrible but wait til people get tape on him and start blitzing the piss out of him

better days
09-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Yeah, I do. As I said, everyone on the board knows he had no bigger critic than me. Well, after one game, I am eating HUMBLE pie.

Actually 1/2 of one game. It was early in the 3rd when I decided to start this thread.

mrbojanglezs
09-11-2011, 05:28 PM
newton will be good in this league

Goobylal
09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Time will tell. Leaf won his first game (against the Bills).

MikeInRoch
09-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I do. As I said, everyone on the board knows he had no bigger critic than me. Well, after one game, I am eating HUMBLE pie.

Actually 1/2 of one game. It was early in the 3rd when I decided to start this thread.

You are eating WAY too early.

baalworship
09-11-2011, 06:27 PM
422 yards and 2 TD's in his first game as a rookie.

Who knows how he will turn out but those posters who insisted he is Jamarcus Russell look way off base.

DynaPaul
09-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Randall Cunningham Part Deux

Akhippo
09-11-2011, 06:35 PM
The cards should be embarrassed. I wouldnt let myself be called a defense given stats to a rookie like that.

better days
09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Well, the Bucs are Still tied for 1st place with the rest of the NFC South at 0-1.

BillsFever21
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
It's his first game dude. Chill out. One game doesn't make or break a career. You sound like you are already planning your trip to Canton to see him inducted into the HOF in about 20 years.

TrEd FTW
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Time will tell. Leaf won his first game (against the Bills).

Leaf played like crap in his first game. Newton played like a world-beater.

Extremebillsfan247
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
He just shattered Peyton Manning's record for most yards by a rookie QB on opening day. Yeah, I'd say Carolina is pretty happy with that pick right now.

tampabay25690
09-11-2011, 07:07 PM
He will be good.
Showed me alot in his 1st career start..
Most just hate on a guy like him anyway...

Mr. Pink
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM
His horrible INT is what swung the game away from them. And on basically 4th and the game he threw a checkdown to a guy short.

He had a nice game but 2 of his errors cost the Panthers the game.

Mike
09-11-2011, 07:11 PM
So glad, to be so wrong. He looked amazing today. Panthers dint have to wait for the future, the present was pretty good!

don137
09-11-2011, 07:16 PM
He made rookie mistakes which is no surprise but he still impressed the heck out of me and I never liked him. Too early to say he will be a star but factoring in no OTAs he had a great first week.

Ingtar33
09-11-2011, 07:20 PM
He just shattered Peyton Manning's record for most yards by a rookie QB on opening day. Yeah, I'd say Carolina is pretty happy with that pick right now.

3 - 40+ yard passes will do that, including a 70 yarder.

he had a great deal of problems hitting any pass under 20 yards and was sacked constantly. the numbers were outstanding but i have to see him able to maintain drives and complete simple 5 yard outs for first downs before i can believe it.

BidsJr
09-11-2011, 07:45 PM

he had a great deal of problems hitting any pass under 20 yards and was sacked constantly. the numbers were outstanding but i have to see him able to maintain drives and complete simple 5 yard outs for first downs before i can believe it.

Step 1 in the upcoming backpedal.

Beebe's Kid
09-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't care about Newton. He isn't on the Bills, and it's not like we passed him to take Dareus.

I wouldn't get too worked up over one game, but props to him for what a game it was.

Carolina's success is in no way going to help/hurt the Bills, with the minor exception of a year we play the NFC South.

I am sure it felt good for him to shove 400+ yards up all of his critics asses though!!

TigerJ
09-11-2011, 09:19 PM
I have thought all along that Newton has a good chance to be successful in the NFL, but he's going to take some lumps on the way. Props to him and the offensive coordinator at Carolina if he's able to have a successful rookie campaign. Newton is obviously not a prototypical NFL QB, and the offensive coordinator for the Panthers has to take that into account in the development of Carolina's offensive scheme.

Mad Max
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I have thought all along that Newton has a good chance to be successful in the NFL, but he's going to take some lumps on the way. Props to him and the offensive coordinator at Carolina if he's able to have a successful rookie campaign. Newton is obviously not a prototypical NFL QB, and the offensive coordinator for the Panthers has to take that into account in the development of Carolina's offensive scheme.

The guy's got all the prototype skills in abundance, his problem is the same that's plagued many other physically gifted QB's...like you know, RJ, Losman, Leaf, Boller, Russell, which is not enough cranium capacity.

Who knows maybe he's smarter than he seems, or maybe his skills are great enough to overcome his lack of intelligence. I hope so for his sake.

imbondz
09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I like Cam. hope he's successful. great start.

delectrolux
09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm not claiming he's going to be good or bad, cause I have no idea either way. BUT, even though he had an amazing debut as a rookie, opposing defensive coordinators have ZERO realtime game tape on him. Lets see where he is in about three or four weeks when people paid a lot of money to identify his weaknesses have had a chance to analyze his play.

TigerJ
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
There have been lots of successful NFL QBs who were not stars in the classroom. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Brett Favre, are some from the past. Now we've got Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, and I'll bet there are some others. Everything else being equal, I'd rather have a QB with brains, but there are some other factors that appear to be at least as important as brains. Some of the decision making skills that Newton may lack now may come as a consequence of the experience he's going to get this year. As you say, he'll need all his athleticism and physical talent to help him survive while he gains that experience. Then again, some QBs, even smart ones never seem to learn from their experience.

Mad Max
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM
There have been lots of successful NFL QBs who were not stars in the classroom. Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Brett Favre, are some from the past. Now we've got Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, and I'll bet there are some others. Everything else being equal, I'd rather have a QB with brains, but there are some other factors that appear to be at least as important as brains. Some of the decision making skills that Newton may lack now may come as a consequence of the experience he's going to get this year. As you say, he'll need all his athleticism and physical talent to help him survive while he gains that experience. Then again, some QBs, even smart ones never seem to learn from their experience.

Those guys aren't Rhodes Scholars to be sure, but all of them appear to be much smarter than Newton. He sounds that dumb.

If he's as dumb as he sounds, I can't see how he can become a premier QB. But like I said who knows maybe he just "sounds" dumb, and is actually football smart.

Another tadpole brain I sense is Mullett...couldn't happen to a nicer team. :)

Ingtar33
09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Step 1 in the upcoming backpedal.

I've never been shy about my whiffs on QB talent. I'll own up to it when he proves it to me. i liked what i saw in parts... but he was running a 1 read passing attack, and hit a bunch of deep passes that won't be there against a team with something resembling a defense.

alohabillsfan
09-12-2011, 07:58 AM
I thought he had a pretty good first game. I watched most of it and he made some excellent throws to TE's and WR and alot of them were not first reads. he showed some poise in the pocket 9and can throw a dart on the move. The game does not appear to be bigger than him but like alot of people said its only one game. The ability for him to succeed will be his willingness to dedicate himself to learn from mistakes. Overall the Panther fans should be cautiously optimistic.

streetkings01
09-12-2011, 08:02 AM
His horrible INT is what swung the game away from them. And on basically 4th and the game he threw a checkdown to a guy short.

He had a nice game but 2 of his errors cost the Panthers the game.He's a rookie starting his 1st regular season NFL.........he was the only reason the Panthers didn't get run out of there. He had no running game to help him and still threw for over 400 yards and scored 3 tds(1 rushing).......then kid played great!

streetkings01
09-12-2011, 08:06 AM
The guy's got all the prototype skills in abundance, his problem is the same that's plagued many other physically gifted QB's...like you know, RJ, Losman, Leaf, Boller, Russell, which is not enough cranium capacity.

Who knows maybe he's smarter than he seems, or maybe his skills are great enough to overcome his lack of intelligence. I hope so for his sake.Where are you getting this from? Where has it been stated that the kid isn't smart? Not to say your doing this, but it seems that when it comes to black QBs that like to scramble you always hear that their not intelligent with nothing to back it up!

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Where are you getting this from? Where has it been stated that the kid isn't smart? Not to say your doing this, but it seems that when it comes to black QBs that like to scramble you always hear that their not intelligent with nothing to back it up!
It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he's a black QB that can scramble. It's just an opinion that I have formed of him through hearing him speak multiple times and interact with the media and NFL Professionals, like I said I could be wrong. BTW I started off as a Newton fan early last year...a proponent of the Bills drafting him.

As I said in an earlier post I think Mallet isn't the sharpest stick either, I thought Losman wasn't mentally capable, RJ wasn't mentally capable...all white guys.

Here are two interviews, the first of Newton by Gruden, the second of this kid Named Robert Griffin...also a black QB that can scramble (who's on my draft radar). There's a quickness of thought and speech that IMO differentiates the guys that are quick enough mentally (maybe that's a better descriptor than using the term smart enough). Newton doesn't seem to me to be "quick enough".

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5rP8-pkMX8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="560"></iframe>

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Robert Griffin III

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ozzERd-boi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

better days
09-12-2011, 08:40 AM
It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that he's a black QB that can scramble. It's just an opinion that I have formed of him through hearing him speak multiple times and interact with the media and NFL Professionals, like I said I could be wrong. BTW I started off as a Newton fan early lat year...a proponent of the Bills drafting him.

As I said in an earlier post I think Mallet isn't the sharpest stick either, I thought Losman wasn't mentally capable, RJ wasn't mentally capable...all white guys.

Here are two interviews, the first of Newton by Gruden, the second of this kid Named Robert Griffin...also a black QB that can scramble (who's on my draft radar). There's a quickness of thought and speech that IMO differentiates the guys that are quick enough mentally (maybe that's a better descriptor than using the term smart enough). Newton doesn't seem to me to be "quick enough".

<IFRAME height=345 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5rP8-pkMX8" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

Yeah, Newton was TERRIBLE in the Gruden interview. He could not even name an offensive play from Auburn.

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah, Newton was TERRIBLE in the Gruden interview. He could not even name an offensive play from Auburn.\

Exactly. He was the star QB of the team that won the NCAA D1 National Championship game and he couldn't name one single solitary play. Yikers, red flag.

Then there was the gun metaphor that he was trying desperately to form, wtf was that? lol.

If it were just that one interview, fine chalk it up to nerves, but there are many others that although not as bad as that, aren't very good either...where there's smoke there's fire.

I wish him the best of luck, and hope I'm wrong about him. I'm just happy he ended up in Carolina and didn't fall to 3.

stuckincincy
09-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Yep.

1st game, now there is game film available. Same with Dalton (Injured wrist. X-rays showed no bone problem...but couldn't grip - nerve damage?). He got sandwiched - in a clean hit by CLE.

Dalton looked ok for a rookie starter - quick release, decent pocket presence, seemed sharp on reads.

Had several high throws, same as during the preseason. That's going to be a problem for him.

BTW, CLE's Haden seems to be the next Darrelle Revis - he got away with murder...I pegged him with 3 non-calls. Star power.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Robert Griffin III

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ozzERd-boi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This is a kid that, when he does enter the draft, I think the Bills will be very, very high on. Seems like a great fit for what Gailey would like to do.

Ed
09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
He's 0-1. He's not a winner!

Extremebillsfan247
09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
lol Why are so many people defensive when it comes to Newton? I don't get that.

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 10:46 AM
This is a kid that, when he does enter the draft, I think the Bills will be very, very high on. Seems like a great fit for what Gailey would like to do.
Absolutely. He could be a weapon in Gailey's offense. What I like most about his skill-set is that although he is a deadly runner, he seems to have a pass first mentality to go along with his excellent accuracy and arm strength.

If he has a few more performances like he did against TCU he's going to join Luck and Landry Jones on the Heisman hopeful bandwagon.

Bill Cody
09-12-2011, 11:09 AM
If he had been there at 3 he would have been a Bill. I said all along if Nix/Gailey did their homework and were ready to take a shot I was with them. His physical qualities are off the charts. Like any rookie he's going to make some bone head plays and he's going to have some bad games, so did Peyton Manning. It's too early to make declarative statements either way. But if you're a Panther fan you've got to be thrilled.

Bill Cody
09-12-2011, 11:21 AM

:laughing: Be honest, there would be a 10 page thread if the kid had thrown up a stink bomb in his opener. There's a decent sized list of people on this board that guaranteed he would fail and some said they would stop watching the team if he were a Bill. Trust me that group will surface the first game he messes up big time, to say they were right. This debate won't be over for years.

The Jokeman
09-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Leaf played like crap in his first game. Newton played like a world-beater.
In his debut Leaf was 16/31 for 192 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs and sacked twice and also had a fumble (but wasn't lost). In comparison the QB taken one pick before him (Peyton Manning) was 21/37 302 yards with 1 TD and 3 INTs and sacked four times and lost to the Dolphins. Ironically enough Leaf's Charges started 2-0 whereas Manning's started 0-2.

So only time will tell how good Newton will be but I was good shocked at his numbers.

Figster
09-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Who knows maybe he's smarter than he seems, or maybe his skills are great enough to overcome his lack of intelligence. I hope so for his sake.

Based on what, Newtons ability to learn new offenses/produce/win has been well documented everywhere Cam Newton has played, all the man does is win football games/ Championships.

DraftBoy
09-12-2011, 12:05 PM
I have an article coming on Griffin tomorrow. Should be very interesting to Bills fans.

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Based on what, Newtons ability to learn new offenses/produce/win has been well documented everywhere Cam Newton has played, all the man does is win football games/ Championships.

Keep reading the thread, your question has already been asked by someone else, and I already answered it.

Figster
09-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Keep reading the thread, your question has already been asked by someone else, and I already answered it.

What you failed to mention, Gruden is a huge fan of Cam Newton and believes Newton is the way of the future/Power Forward/QB in the NFL.

By all accounts coming from coaches and players close to Cam Newton, they say Newton is a great student of the game of football. Our own regime was even impressed with what Cam Newton brought to the table both physically and mentally.

How one handles himself under pressure cannot be measured with a wonderlic test, or the Love for the game of Football. The LB mentality of Jim Kelly helped carry the Buffalo Bills to four straight Superbowl appearances. It doesn't hurt to have a high IQ to play QB in the NFL, but it damn sure doesn't take a rocket scientist to compete and succeed in the NFL

It does take good coaching/management...

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 01:07 PM
By all accounts coming from coaches and players close to Cam Newton, they say Newton is a great student of the game of football. Our own regime was even impressed with what Cam Newton brought to the table both physically and mentally.

How one handles himself under pressure cannot be measured with a pencil and paper. The LB mentality of Jim Kelly helped carry the Buffalo Bills to four straight Superbowl appearances. It doesn't hurt to have a high IQ to play QB in the NFL, but it damn sure doesn't take a rocket scientist to compete and succeed in the NFL

There were plenty of coaches and regimes that also thought very highly of Jamarcus Russell, JP Losman, Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, Rob Johnson, and the long list of athletic freak QBs that failed in the league due to their mental capacity not matching their physical abilities goes on.

I already stated that the term intelligence probably isn't the right term in the traditional sense. Rather it's the ability to process information at NFL speed, come up with the correct decision, and implement that decision with the appropriate successful action.

IMO Newton's processing capabilities will end up being proven too slow for the show.

A lot of you people love Cam Newton and think he's the next big thing...more power to you. I'm not attempting to change anyone's mind..continue your rooting for the guy. Just don't attempt to change mine either...there's only one person that can do that...and I sincerely hope he does.

Figster
09-12-2011, 01:19 PM
There were plenty of coaches and regimes that also thought very highly of Jamarcus Russell, JP Losman, Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, Rob Johnson, and the long list of athletic freak QBs that failed in the league due to their mental capacity not matching their physical abilities goes on.

I already stated that the term intelligence probably isn't the right term in the traditional sense. Rather it's the ability to process information at NFL speed, come up with the correct decision, and implement that decision with the appropriate successful action.

IMO Newton's processing capabilities will end up being proven too slow for the show.

A lot of you people love Cam Newton and think he's the next big thing...more power to you. I'm not attempting to change anyone's mind..continue your rooting for the guy. Just don't attempt to change mine either...there's only one person that can do that...and I sincerely hope he does.

Baseless assumptions you try to validate with an interview.

Cam Newtons going to move the Football down the football field and score. Its what the man was put on this earth to do, its what Cam has been doing and will continue to do at the Pro level. Cam Newton was born to become a Superstar in the NFL.

Stop kidding yourself...

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Baseless assumptions you try to validate with an interview.

Cam Newtons going to move the Football down the football field and score. Its what the man was put on this earth to do, its what Cam has been doing and will continue to do at the Pro level. Cam Newton was born to become a Superstar in the NFL.

Stop kidding yourself...
Are you still barking dude? lol, I wrote IMO (do you know what that acronym stands for?)

Seriously, why are you so butt hurt by MY OPINION?

I'm not trying to validate anything..simply offering MY OPINION.

And I already said :

"A lot of you people love Cam Newton and think he's the next big thing...more power to you. I'm not attempting to change anyone's mind..continue your rooting for the guy. Just don't attempt to change mine either...there's only one person that can do that...and I sincerely hope he does."

Figster
09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Are you still barking dude? lol, I wrote IMO (do you know what that acronym stands for?)

Seriously, why are you so butt hurt by MY OPINION?

I'm not trying to validate anything..simply offering MY OPINION.

And I already said :

"A lot of you people love Cam Newton and think he's the next big thing...more power to you. I'm not attempting to change anyone's mind..continue your rooting for the guy. Just don't attempt to change mine either...there's only one person that can do that...and I sincerely hope he does."

Not hurt at all, thought we were debating,discussing something, you gave your opinions, I game mine,
nothing personal...

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Not hurt at all, thought we were debating,discussing something, you gave your opinions, I game mine,

nothing personal...

:shake:

In case you aren't already aware of him, you may want to check out Robert Griffin III, QB of Baylor, whenever Baylor's next on national TV.

If you like Newton, you should also like this kids game...a lot.

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Not hurt at all, thought we were debating,discussing something, you gave your opinions, I game mine, my opinions are based on the mans body of work on the Football field, yours on an interview,

nothing personal...

lol, see you turned a gentlemanly response to a douche response with your edit...sometimes it's best to not add another brush-stroke. (especially if you don't have your facts straight...as I watched plenty of Newton, saw many interviews of him, and was also big on his early bandwagon).

Figster
09-12-2011, 02:16 PM
lol, see you turned a gentlemanly response to a douche response with your edit...sometimes it's best to not add another brush-stroke. (especially if you don't have your facts straight...as I watched plenty of Newton, saw many interviews of him, and was also big on his early bandwagon).

To happy about the Bills victory to waste anymore time on this thread, I had reedited before you came back with a douche bag response. My original response was based on being rudely called out for posting my opinions. My opinions are based off of body of work, yours on an interview, so get real how about it...

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 02:26 PM
To happy about the Bills victory to waste anymore time on this thread, I had reedited before you came back with a douche bag response,

lol BS, you clicked "submit reply"...and therefore posted your edited douchebag response...you only edited it back to it's original form after you read my initial respectful response.

cgbm
09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
you guys make me laugh so hard.....

you guys REFUSE to admit that you were wrong.

and yes its me here. the guy that was his biggest supporter...

the man leads the league in yards after one start.

he set a record after one game.

what do you guys want?

you all are critisizing his sacks, lack of consistancy under 20 yards.. and what else?

this is the funny part. why would he need to be consistant under 20 yards when hes bombing 70 yarders and racking up 422 in a game.

im really wondering what the problem is here. after one game, he did as bout as good as he possibly could.

and no it wasnt his horrible interception that cost them the game. im thinking it was carolinas HORRIBLE defense.

just admit it. as far as you can see for now, you all were WRONG.

SORE LOSERS!!!!

stuckincincy
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM

what do you guys want?

you all are critisizing his sacks, lack of consistancy under 20 yards.. and what else?

this is the funny part. why would he need to be consistant under 20 yards when hes bombing 70 yarders and racking up 422 in a game.

im really wondering what the problem is here. after one game, he did as bout as good as he possibly could.

and no it wasnt his horrible interception that cost them the game. im thinking it was carolinas HORRIBLE defense.

SORE LOSERS!!!!

NE/NYJ put up a thousand yards of passing...Henne? Fitz with 4 td passes? :nod: :band:

The NFL has pimped the pass game for years through countless rule changes, the better the ratings and the better the $$$.

Extremebillsfan247
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM

what do you guys want?

SORE LOSERS!!!! People forget being a starting QB in the NFL is tough work. But for a rookie with no OTA's, minimal practice time, sharing QB duties in preseason, makes it extremely difficult to be successful, especially for a rookie who got drafted by a team that won 2 games last year. Everyone not a Panther fan expected them to lose decisively. No one expected Newton to have the kind of game he had with a chance at doing something I'm not sure any rookie QB has done, win on opening day on the road. The only people that would think he didn't perform well, either didn't watch the game, or have something against him. JMO

Figster
09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
NE/NYJ put up a thousand yards of passing...Henne? Fitz with 4 td passes? :nod: :band:

The NFL has pimped the pass game for years through countless rule changes, the better the ratings and the better the $$$.

I'm a big fan of Newton, having lived in Alabama for a couple of years(Decatur) I adopted the Tigers/Tide as my college teams to follow. (Tide>Tigers)

In knowing Cam the way I do, he's not going to be satisfied with good stats. There's a reason Cam plays the way he plays, willing to do everything he can , even giving up his body in an effort to move down the Football field and into the endzone,

Cam Newton wants to win Football games...

Mr. Pink
09-13-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm a big fan of Newton, having lived in Alabama for a couple of years(Decatur) I adopted the Tigers/Tide as my college teams to follow. (Tide>Tigers)

In knowing Cam the way I do, he's not going to be satisfied with good stats. There's a reason Cam plays the way he plays, willing to do everything he can , even giving up his body in an effort to move down the Football field and into the endzone,

Cam Newton wants to win Football games...

Too bad he plays on a bad football team that will be lucky to win 4 games.

He threw the ball all over the yard against a team with a very weak secondary and still made 2 huge errors that cost his team the game. One the INT and two his throw on 4th and the game being well short of the marker.

I'd wait til he plays a team that has an average defense let alone a good defense before saying this guy is gonna be any good in this league.

Figster
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM

He threw the ball all over the yard against a team with a very weak secondary and still made 2 huge errors that cost his team the game. One the INT and two his throw on 4th and the game being well short of the marker.

I'd wait til he plays a team that has an average defense let alone a good defense before saying this guy is gonna be any good in this league.

I don't expect people to have the same amount of confidence as I do in Cam Newton, and he's going to make mistakes this season, no doubt about it, goes with the territory for a rookie signal caller tossed into the fire.

Cam Newton is going to be an Elite QB/ Superstar in the NFL one day in my opinion...

stuckincincy
09-13-2011, 12:45 PM

If you'd like to meet an Auburn valedictorian, it's easy...just call up and order a delivery pizza. :laughing:

better days
09-13-2011, 01:01 PM
If you'd like to meet an Auburn valedictorian, it's easy...just call up and order a delivery pizza. :laughing:

Hey, my cousin is an Auburn alum. It is a Fine school.

stuckincincy
09-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Hey, my cousin is an Auburn alum. It is a Fine school.

How many Fines has he/she accumulated?

A large part of my family lives in the B'ham area - I got tons of AU jokes!

cgbm
09-19-2011, 08:51 PM
how bout now. how many of you will talk trash about cam. your man has over 800 yards and is only 2 games deep. name another qb that has that many yards right now

Crisis
09-19-2011, 10:10 PM
how bout now. how many of you will talk trash about cam. your man has over 800 yards and is only 2 games deep. name another qb that has that many yards right now

tom brady

its 2 games. if he keeps it up for the whole year i'll be impressed.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2011, 12:06 AM

Yeah and his mistakes cost the Panthers both games.

3 INTs this week.

That's great that you're throwing for 400 yards a game and all and still making the big mistakes by not protecting the football.

Mike
09-20-2011, 01:36 AM
That's great that you're throwing for 400 yards a game and all and still making the big mistakes by not protecting the football.

Did u see those picks? One was a tip ball, & the other two were amazingly athletic picks my woodson... Anyways most rookies have 3 pick games & are lucky to break 200yrds. Rookies have broken 400 yards passing only 4 times in NFL History & 2 of those times it was Cam. All this being said, it's no guarantee he will be great (even Matt Lienart & Vince Young had great games as rookies) . I was one of his detractors however I would be glad to be wrong & to see him do well. Him becoming a great QB would be great entertainment for me & the league.

Bill Cody
09-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah and his mistakes cost the Panthers both games.

3 INTs this week.

That's one way to look at it. Another would be that Cam was the only reason they were in either game in the first place. To expect a rookie with a single year of 1A experience under center to play error free ball is....well...it's stupid. Cam has exceeded any realistic expectations so far by a lot.

don137
09-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Since I live in Charlotte and love the football experience I have season tickets to the Panthers. I hated the pick of Newton. I thought he was going to be a first round bust.
After watching two games I have been very impressed to say the least. He is composed and very mature. Makes a lot of good decisions. Everything I have heard is he truly takes his role very seriously, is extremely competitive and will do what it takes on and off the field to do what it takes to win.
The Panthers just lost Thomas Davis with another torn ACL. With very young DTs and Beason and Davis out for the season teams will have no trouble moving the ball against Carolina this year. I don't expect them to do any better than 5-11. But Cam Newton and the offense will be fun to watch.

Mr. Pink
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
That's one way to look at it. Another would be that Cam was the only reason they were in either game in the first place. To expect a rookie with a single year of 1A experience under center to play error free ball is....well...it's stupid. Cam has exceeded any realistic expectations so far by a lot.

The way you win football games is by protecting the football and not turning it over.

Almost 900 yards passing in 2 games and they're 0-2...awesome.

I'd much rather take pedestrian stats that lead to Ws than a flashy guy who turns the ball over that costs the team ballgames.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the scoreboard and the standings.

TigerJ
09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't expect Carolina to end up with a winning record. Newton is rough around the edges and is throwing a lot of picks to go with those gaudy yards per game stats, but he is the real deal and is only going to get better. I have to admit, he was exactly the right draft pick for the Panthers to make, and he's going to be a force for years.

Bill Cody
09-20-2011, 02:16 PM
The way you win football games is by protecting the football and not turning it over.

True enough. But you seem to think the learning curve for a kid that didn't even have mini camp or a full training camp is basically zero. Completely ridiculous. It takes 3-5 YEARS for a new QB to learn the most difficult position in sports. Your criticism makes no sense.

Almost 900 yards passing in 2 games and they're 0-2...awesome.

I'd much rather take pedestrian stats that lead to Ws than a flashy guy who turns the ball over that costs the team ballgames.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is the scoreboard and the standings.

Troy Aikman is in the hall of fame. He was a guy that was good at protecting the ball and he made good decisions. But not in his first couple seasons. The first year he started 11 games. The Cowboys won 1 of them. He had 8 TD's and 18 picks and a QB rating of 55. The next year Dallas improved to 7-9 and Troy's rating improved to 66. Try to keep things in some perspective if you can.

better days
09-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Well, your Browns have McCoy at QB & Jauron as DC, hows that working out for you?

Bill Cody
09-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Well, your Browns have McCoy at QB & Jauron as DC, hows that working out for you?

I like Colt McCoy. I was hoping the Bills took a chance on him when he slipped into the 3rd a couple years ago. The kid is a winner.

better days
09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
I like Colt McCoy. I was hoping the Bills took a chance on him when he slipped into the 3rd a couple years ago. The kid is a winner.

I think he could be like Edwards myself. Good enough that the team keeps him a number of years, but not good enough to take them anywhere, but time will tell.

That is why I'm happy the Bills did not take him. If I'm right, the Bills would have just wasted more time rather than draft a QB that really could take them places.

Bill Cody
09-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I think he could be like Edwards myself. Good enough that the team keeps him a number of years, but not good enough to take them anywhere, but time will tell.

That is why I'm happy the Bills did not take him. If I'm right, the Bills would have just wasted more time rather than draft a QB that really could take them places.

Edwards is a pansy, no sense beating around the bush. Colt is a leader that can make plays with his arm and his feet. His physical abilities are on the level of a Fitz so he's never going to be a lock as a starter unless he wins. But if you're a Browns fan the kid has to be fun to watch.