• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Summary thoughts of the game

Yeah, I've made a hundred comments so far, but I can't help myself. Love this win and the way we won it.

1. Run D. I know Charles ended up with ~5.6 YPC - I don't care. He broke a couple of runs (one when the game was out of reach), but the rest of his runs were ~2 yards per carry. No consistent 6-yard gains. It wasn't quite as good as I was hoping, but overall Charles was contained quite well, especially on runs up the middle.

2. Brad Smith and the wildcat - yards per play in this formation will be awful. That said, this guy knows how to get first downs. I'm amazed that he was able to fight for them despite it being very, very obvious what was happening every time.

3. Pass defense - this still concerns me. While the D looked better overall, our corners aren't great. Florence is hit or miss, Byrd was nearly invisible in pass D, McKelvin is burnable as we all know, and our LB's had some trouble over the middle. Though they did have some good open field plays against the RB's coming out of the backfield.

4. Draws killed us there for a short period (I think it was shortly before the half). That's where Charles got a big chunk of his yards. We were susceptible to some of the "fake" plays the Chiefs ran.

5. They know how to keep a lead. I was telling my wife when we were up 7-0 that last year, when Buffalo took a lead (rare times, I know), they nearly always stalled out after that. They had zero ability to take a lead and build on it. No killer instinct. I loved seeing them go for blood today.

6. Pass rush - seemed decent up the middle, didn't get much from the edge though.

7. OL - much maligned unit, played OK. Not great, but plenty good enough. Jackson made them look better than they are sometimes, but they're still better than people thought, IMO. Adequate in pass protection, got some solid push in the run game.

8. Fred Jackson - looked phenomenal. I'm a big fan of this guy and I think he's a perfect back to work behind what we currently have on the OL. If we got better OL, I think he could put up even better statistics.

9. Fitzpatrick. For all those who harp on him for his bad passes, I rarely hear them say anything about his good ones. Is he perfect? No, but he looked pretty good. Have to wonder if spending the offseason as the starter is helping him out quite a bit. So far, according to NFL stats, Fitz is the only QB with 4 TD passes. No INT's is solid against these CB's, too. One more part I like: 8.3 YPA.

10. Scott Chandler - man, this guy came out of nowhere. He's not a great TE and this may end up being his best game (particularly TD-wise), but we needed him to step up as a receiving threat.

11. David Nelson - after a forgettable preseason, came out and really worked the Chiefs over, especially the safeties.

12. Roscoe Parrish - the fact that we did well with only three legit receiving targets (Chandler, Nelson, Johnson) makes me wonder how we'll do getting him and Easley involved. And yes, I do think Parrish will be very much involved in the future.

13. Spiller - I didn't see him in pass blocking, one person has told me he whiffed once. I think he's the RB who really could benefit from an upgrade on the OL, unfortunately. The guy did well on 2 runs, not well on 3 others. As others have said, though, runs were well telegraphed when he was in.

In general, it seems there's reasons to temper some enthusiasm. But as bad as people may think the Chiefs are, they do have some talent, and considering it was on the road, I'd say a 34-point win is huge right now.

That being said, it was indeed one game. I'm enjoying it, but we definitely need to see more consistency. I hope to see similar performances from our players and coaches (play-calling).
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Re: Summary thoughts of the game

Personally, I loved what I saw from Barnett in covg.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
      • Nov 2009

I read the Joe B's review of the game on WGR, and he gave special praise to Byrd. He said that he is really showing qualities of an all around Safety. I thought he played well too, and I think one reason that he may have seemed invisible was that Scott and Wilson were the safeties most of the 2nd half.

All of the interceptions from his rookie year are going to haunt Byrd, probably right up until the point we run him out of town.

A general point...it is ok to just say you were openly impressed with something, and not have to qualify that statement with a negative. Some people are afraid to say anything positive, because the "realists" will blast them for it, but you saw today's game. It was fun to be a Bills fan. So you are entitled to a little Kool-Aid....in fact have a glass of Webeatthe****outofthem Punch on me.

Comment

• mikemac2001
        is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
        • Mar 2003

O btw I love the 3 safety set they ran it a lot

MUCK
        FIAMI

Comment

• wmoz11
          • Sep 2008

I thought the pass defense was outstanding. Whenever a QB drops back 30+ times and has barely over 100 yards passing, the secondary did more than their job. Especially with such little pass-rush. Holding a physical freak like Bowe to two catches when they're throwing almost every down is unreal.

Comment

• mikemac2001
            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by wmoz11
            I thought the pass defense was outstanding. Whenever a QB drops back 30+ times and has barely over 100 yards passing, the secondary did more than their job. Especially with such little pass-rush. Holding a physical freak like Bowe to two catches when they're throwing almost every down is unreal.
            Cassel blows tho

MUCK
            FIAMI

Comment

• Mike
              • Jan 2009

Barnet > Poz
              Evans was not missed, at all! Should have traded him 2yrs ago....and neither were POZ, WHITNER, and a lot of the other trash that left...
              D-Line will be strength of Defense & Pass rush will go as Mariman goes..... makes me wonder how much better this defense would be with a real pass rusher like Orakpo...or Ware.
              LBers are going to be better than last years unit as will the offense.
              Offense will be explosive against bad D-Lines/Rushes and will struggle against elite Pass Rushers & D-Lines.
              Overall, Game went as I expected however Bills executed much better and scored more. We saw much of this offensive potential from them a year ago.
              Please Make Sense

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                All of the interceptions from his rookie year are going to haunt Byrd, probably right up until the point we run him out of town.
                that makes no sense.

Comment

• TMu11
                  • Mar 2010

Instead of blasting B. Smith for his INT, I actually thought he played great. He got the tough yards when necessary, and he took a shot when we had the game well in hand. The ball wasn't necessarily a bad one, and would have been an easy TD if the Safety would have bit on his run fake. I think the fact that it was his first pass hurt their chances of succeeding since everyone was prepared for the throw to happen. Although, yes, considering the coverage that bal;l should not have been thrown

In all, I think Smith will be a valuable asset to the Bills this season.
                  After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

• tomz
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TMu11
                    Instead of blasting B. Smith for his INT, I actually thought he played great. He got the tough yards when necessary, and he took a shot when we had the game well in hand. The ball wasn't necessarily a bad one, and would have been an easy TD if the Safety would have bit on his run fake. I think the fact that it was his first pass hurt their chances of succeeding since everyone was prepared for the throw to happen. Although, yes, considering the coverage that bal;l should not have been thrown

He also had a nice tackle on STs.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Here are my thoughts the morning after;

Didn't see the need to start another thread on the game with 24 already out there.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

All good points in this thread.

Here's my main observation - Chan can flat out coach.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TMu11

Well, that pass in now on film for other teams to see. That should stop teams from stacking the line when Smith is in because they have to worry he may pass.

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by mikemac2001
                            O btw I love the 3 safety set they ran it a lot
                            Agree. They take Kelsay off the field and replace him with Scott.
                            Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Oaf
                              Personally, I loved what I saw from Barnett in covg.
                              He made a few plays from what I saw, but also had a play or two where he was beat by Leonard Pope.

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                              I read the Joe B's review of the game on WGR, and he gave special praise to Byrd. He said that he is really showing qualities of an all around Safety. I thought he played well too, and I think one reason that he may have seemed invisible was that Scott and Wilson were the safeties most of the 2nd half.

A general point...it is ok to just say you were openly impressed with something, and not have to qualify that statement with a negative. Some people are afraid to say anything positive, because the "realists" will blast them for it, but you saw today's game. It was fun to be a Bills fan. So you are entitled to a little Kool-Aid....in fact have a glass of Webeatthe****outofthem Punch on me.
                              I liked what Byrd did in run defense. I loved a lot of the stops he and Scott made on the outside. However, I know I saw a WR or two running free past the safeties and in general Cassel didn't test them much over the middle of the field. I'm still concerned over what a good QB like Brady might be able to do. JMO.

I agree, it was fun to be a Bills fan. At this point, it's hard to say how good the Chiefs were, but I'll say that beating ANY team in the NFL by 34 points on the road is a huge plus.

All I'm saying is that there were a few things that concerned me. It's always going to be the case, though (even Super Bowl winning teams have "concerns"). I don't see any point in glossing over them though, as each team can always improve, and I have a feeling Gailey feels the same way. At least, I dang well hope so.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X