PDA

View Full Version : The team gives me a different feel

ghz in pittsburgh
09-12-2011, 09:37 AM
For whatever reason, I feel very comfortable with this defense, even after McGee went out and Merriman went to the side line. I guess Nix must be a good salesman and I'm sucked into the defensive talent upgrade for two draft now.

Truthfully the preseason and the game yesterday gave me no reason to back down from that expectation. On defense, we are young and big, they just give me more comfort. Donahoe had a number of quality defenses but we were living off the mature players and FAs in a win now mode. Jauron's defense had its moments, but it's just so fragile that I'm scared that it can break any time, and it did.

On offense, dare I say that it's Fitz or nothing. If he plays well, it goes. Otherwise, we'll suck.

In a way I guess it's how people in NE and Indy feel - of course Brady and manning are consistently good (the reason they are super stars). I can see what Gailey and company tried to do with drafting Spiller and building a run oriented O-Line. So far Spiller is not panning out and the O-Line is still more suited for pass protection.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 09:58 AM
I like the defense, and I'll be interested to see how well they do against elite offenses. On nearly every run except maybe 2, Charles looked like he had trouble finding a hole, hesitating and simply diving forward for 2-3 yards. I'm not horribly confident in the pass D, but I'll wait to see what happens. Despite allowing the TD, I do like Aaron Williams, think the kid has shown a lot of promise. Florence played better yesterday, too.

Supposedly Florence said that they only played 4 coverages against KC.

madness
09-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Holy defense-actually-gave-the-offense-a-short-field, Batman!

baalworship
09-12-2011, 11:31 AM
We are obviously going to be a lot better against the run. Dareus changes the entire feel on the defensive side from a liability to a strength.

I am still nervous about our pass rush and hope we can blitz if we have to. Against the chiefs we sat back in coverage but we can't afford to do that every game.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 11:36 AM
One thing I love - starting out the season winning with all these young players. Maybe, just maybe, these young guys can start to be infused with a different mindset than the Jauron-like one that's plagued this team for a while.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-12-2011, 11:43 AM
It's nice to see the defense solid across the board. It's not one or two guys making the majority of the plays. The D-line guys, the line backers, the safeties, the corners, everyone is making plays. That's hard for teams to attack.

trapezeus
09-12-2011, 11:44 AM
agreed, the bills didn't really blitz ever. Which they didn't need to do since they were getting pressure and stopping the run as is. No need to show additional film to other teams if you don't have to. Hopefully that's the thinking

Which also tells you a little somethign about how dominant these guys were. if they could just sit back and eat them alive, imagine what the carnage would have been if they were sending blitzer's in every down asking cassel to move around.

madness
09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
I have a feeling that KC being a very good at play-action probably also factored into our blitzing scheme.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I have a feeling that KC being a very good at play-action probably also factored into our blitzing scheme.
I'm glad we got "practice" in against play-action. That usually kills us - mainly because we're bad against the run so we load up against it. Then teams fake a run and ~10 of our players get fooled by it. KC ran a lot, a whole lot of "curveballs" - draws, play-action, misdirection, etc. I'm glad our defense held up relatively well against them.

Night Train
09-12-2011, 12:07 PM
So this team feels like a set of 46 DD tits ?

Nice ! :up: