PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Johnson contract: "I guess we're going to ride it out"

BLeonard
09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
http://wgr550.com/Stevie-Johnson-Plans-to-Play-Out-His-Contract/10881280

"No, we don't have any contract talks right now. I guess we're going to ride it out. We're just going to ride out the season, or until something is stirred up and go from there but, as of right now, I'm still a Buffalo Bill for another year and we'll see what happens."

So much for saving all that cap room to extend him anytime soon...

-Bill

TacklingDummy
09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
If he's playing good after 8 games then they should extend him. Got to make sure last season wasn't a fluke. They already fell for that once with Evans.

BLeonard
09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
If he's playing good after 8 games then they should extend him. Got to make sure last season wasn't a fluke. They already fell for that once with Evans.

If he's playing well, he's also gonna have a higher price tag... Or be more inclined to want to test free agency.

In the past, the Bills haven't won those types of gambles.

-Bill

mrbojanglezs
09-12-2011, 04:23 PM
don't worry they could always tag him

bosshogg21
09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm not really worried about it. The bills will pay him what he's worth at the end of the season or franchise him. It would be a pr nightmare to let him walk.

NOT THE DUDE...
09-12-2011, 04:37 PM
They will probably franchise him and then work out a long term deal...

dannyek71
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
He is a young and up and coming star in this league.... PAY HIM

X-Era
09-12-2011, 04:41 PM
He is a young and up and coming star in this league.... PAY HIMIt costs money. Who's the last player that got 8-9 mill per from the Bills? That's what he will command and it is extremely rare for the Bills to pay that.

dannyek71
09-12-2011, 04:49 PM
It costs money. Who's the last player that got 8-9 mill per from the Bills? That's what he will command and it is extremely rare for the Bills to pay that.

Evans?

Mad Max
09-12-2011, 04:52 PM
It costs money. Who's the last player that got 8-9 mill per from the Bills? That's what he will command and it is extremely rare for the Bills to pay that.

I think your range is way too high.

He deserves to get paid, but not like Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson.

I think they'll get an equitable deal done with him.

X-Era
09-12-2011, 05:03 PM

I think they'll get an equitable deal done with him.He's about on par with Santonio Holmes to me and that's what he makes. Fitzgerald gets 11 or so per, and Calvin gets 8.8 and has another 8 available through incentives.

Holmes makes around 9.

What do you think is reasonable for him?

Ingtar33
09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
it's a good thing we freed up all that extra cap room.

Meathead
09-12-2011, 05:12 PM
meh theyll get it done

i remember when moulds was thinking about going for max cash and he said after talking to guys around the league that if you are in a good situation you should STAY THERE cuz if you go for max money you can easily end up in a **** situation and when that happens you wont care anymore about the extra max dollars

of course eric ended up pretty bitter towards bflo at the end, but at the time i thought that was great advice

justasportsfan
09-12-2011, 05:21 PM
just hand the contract of 9/per year to Ralph upside down

Jan Reimers
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
The Bills can never seem to bring themselves to do the right thing. They overpay the Kelsays, and then piss off the Johnsons with their cheap ass crap.

We cut Handgartner and trade Evans for a bag of magic beans to free up a ton of money, and still can't get a deal done with Stevie. I guess being $20M under the cap is more important than making Jackson and Johnson happy.

At least Ralph and the bean boys are happy.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Yes, saving money is exactly why we didn't try and sign Kyle Williams to an extension.

Gee whiz, people, why don't we wait and see how this plays out?

alohabillsfan
09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
There is no hurry! The Bills have the rest of this season and could always franchise him for next, so ease up. PS I'm glad you guys are not involved with negotiations.

Michael82
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
I have a feeling that Stevie is asking for $10 million or more per year. I don't blame the Bills for not paying him yet. They want to make sure he is truly a number 1 WR and last year wasnt a fluke year. It will get done. Have patience!

Mahdi
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM
If he continues to play well and doesn't get paid, then walks, whats the point of being an NFL franchise?

mayotm
09-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Glad to see the good feelings about yesterday have subsided already. Please get back to doing what many of you do best. That is *****ing. I realize it's a complete disaster that the Bills haven't extended Stevie after week 1 of the season.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 07:03 PM
If he continues to play well and doesn't get paid, then walks, whats the point of being an NFL franchise?
If he plays well, he's the most likely player on our team to get the franchise tag.

It's pretty obvious that the main guys we will look to re-sign are Fitzpatrick, Demetrius Bell, Roscoe Parrish, and Steve Johnson. IMO, Johnson is the only one with the potential to merit the franchise tag, unless Fitzpatrick keeps up this pace (unlikely).

Contract talks can change so quickly. I will never understand why people deem it worth whining about until he actually walks. Let's wait to see how it plays out first.

X-Era
09-12-2011, 07:20 PM
If he plays well, he's the most likely player on our team to get the franchise tag.

It's pretty obvious that the main guys we will look to re-sign are Fitzpatrick, Demetrius Bell, Roscoe Parrish, and Steve Johnson. IMO, Johnson is the only one with the potential to merit the franchise tag, unless Fitzpatrick keeps up this pace (unlikely).

Contract talks can change so quickly. I will never understand why people deem it worth whining about until he actually walks. Let's wait to see how it plays out first.The Bills have a track record of letting guys walk. As a guy who's favorite player since the SB years is Stevie, I'm worried. Whining and worrying are too different things to me.

Besides, we can pay 11.3 mill for a franchise tag but not 8 mill for a new deal?

DesertFox24
09-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Guys relax it is week 1. We have till the end of February to sign him, Fitz, and Bell to a deal if they deserve it.

Hopefully something gets done here eventually.

DesertFox24
09-12-2011, 07:30 PM
If we let a 25 year old WR he is becoming a stud walk I will not be a bills fan anymore. Mark my words.

Also highly unlikely we let him walk Buddy said he wants to keep his people.

X-Era
09-12-2011, 07:34 PM
If we let a 25 year old WR he is becoming a stud walk I will not be a bills fan anymore. Mark my words.

Also highly unlikely we let him walk Buddy said he wants to keep his people.But has yet to do it?

I digress. There is plenty of time I agree. No need to panic yet.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 07:53 PM
The Bills have a track record of letting guys walk. As a guy who's favorite player since the SB years is Stevie, I'm worried. Whining and worrying are too different things to me.

Besides, we can pay 11.3 mill for a franchise tag but not 8 mill for a new deal?
They do have that track record. I'm not sure how applicable it is, because nobody truly knows what kind of an impact Wilson has on who is re-signed (or signed) and who isn't.

Nobody said we can't pay 8 mil for a new deal, they just haven't yet. And just FYI, a lot of teams do this to players - they'll tag them but for some reason don't want to sign them long-term. If Buffalo does do that (I don't think they will), they wouldn't be the first team. And sometimes it simply allows another year for contract negotiations. The Patriots pissed Logan Mankins off with the RFA tender, then a franchise tag this year and ended up signing him to a big contract. Like I said, it's not worth complaining about in Week 1.

X-Era
09-12-2011, 07:56 PM
They do have that track record. I'm not sure how applicable it is, because nobody truly knows what kind of an impact Wilson has on who is re-signed (or signed) and who isn't.

Nobody said we can't pay 8 mil for a new deal, they just haven't yet. And just FYI, a lot of teams do this to players - they'll tag them but for some reason don't want to sign them long-term. If Buffalo does do that (I don't think they will), they wouldn't be the first team. And sometimes it simply allows another year for contract negotiations. The Patriots pissed Logan Mankins off with the RFA tender, then a franchise tag this year and ended up signing him to a big contract. Like I said, it's not worth complaining about in Week 1.Worry, not complaint.

Mahdi
09-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Contract talks can change so quickly. I will never understand why people deem it worth whining about until he actually walks. Let's wait to see how it plays out first.
I think people get edgy because we have let enough PBers walk out the door already...

Pat W.
Winfield
Clements
Spikes
Fletcher
Peters

Productive guys like Leonard, Greer, Hargrove, Poz, Whitner etc.

And this from a team that builds through the draft, then we let guys walk.

No one is *****ing BTW, I think people are just expressing a very valid concern about the Bills not handing out contracts to key players or players who have gone on to be good elsewhere.

psubills62
09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
I think people get edgy because we have let enough PBers walk out the door already...

Pat W.
Winfield
Clements
Spikes
Fletcher
Peters

Productive guys like Leonard, Greer, Hargrove, Poz, Whitner etc.

And this from a team that builds through the draft, then we let guys walk.

No one is *****ing BTW, I think people are just expressing a very valid concern about the Bills not handing out contracts to key players or players who have gone on to be good elsewhere.
I think they have a legit track record of signing guys as well - they just sign all the wrong guys (like McGee over Greer, for instance).

I realize Buffalo's history, but I have a hard time putting that on Nix and co. The only way I see this history being applicable is if Wilson and his group have that much influence on who is re-signed and who isn't. Maybe they do, but they've been willing to spend money at times (sometimes without logic attached), so it's a matter that I'll worry about when it comes time.

No one is *****ing? I'd say Jan and Ingtar are damn close to it.

YardRat
09-12-2011, 09:26 PM
If Fitz, Stevie, and Freddie continue to play well, don't get injured, and aren't looking to be paid top 2 or 3 money I will guarantee that they all get extensions at some point and will be on the team next season.

I heard the interview on the radio, and one possibility that nobody is taking into account...there might be a desire on Stevie/his agent's part to not get into contract talks just yet and leaving some potential dollars on the table.

He said 'We're riding it out', he didn't say the team hasn't approached him.

Romes
09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
If Fitz, Stevie, and Freddie continue to play well, don't get injured, and aren't looking to be paid top 2 or 3 money I will guarantee that they all get extensions at some point and will be on the team next season.

I heard the interview on the radio, and one possibility that nobody is taking into account...there might be a desire on Stevie/his agent's part to not get into contract talks just yet and leaving some potential dollars on the table.

He said 'We're riding it out', he didn't say the team hasn't approached him.

Exactly, to me it sounds like Stevie is trying to increase his value this season. Great for us if he plays up for his contract year. Just hoping the Bills pay him if what he deserves at the end.

Lexwhat
09-12-2011, 11:41 PM
He's about on par with Santonio Holmes to me and that's what he makes. Fitzgerald gets 11 or so per, and Calvin gets 8.8 and has another 8 available through incentives.

Holmes makes around 9.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers from.

Holmes signed a 5 year, $50 million extension = 10 million per
Fitzgerald signed an 8 year, $120 million extension = 15 million per

Calvin Johnson is on a rookie contract, so that's not a good benchmark I think. When Johnson does get a new contract, expect it to be close to Fitzgerald's.

Steve Johnson deserves $10 million per season. This is the current market for WRs, plain and simple. There's no comparison to Lee Evans's old contract a few years ago.

Mr. Pink
09-12-2011, 11:51 PM
I won't get worried until it gets to be mid november and there are no talks going on. That being said, pay the man.

ServoBillieves
09-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Pay Stevie, pay Fred, pay Fitzy, pay Demetrius, ****ING PAY THESE GUYS!

"Building through the draft" means you keep the damn players you draft. It doesn't mean always have new draft picks filling holes.

If we don't resign Stevie, this really is an insanely inept team.

X-Era
09-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Not sure where you're getting your numbers from.

Holmes signed a 5 year, $50 million extension = 10 million per
Fitzgerald signed an 8 year, $120 million extension = 15 million per

Calvin Johnson is on a rookie contract, so that's not a good benchmark I think. When Johnson does get a new contract, expect it to be close to Fitzgerald's.

Steve Johnson deserves $10 million per season. This is the current market for WRs, plain and simple. There's no comparison to Lee Evans's old contract a few years ago.You averaged over the length, I simply looked at what they would get next year.

And Calvin signed at 6 years 55.5 on his rookie deal as you said. When he signs his new deal it will be Fitzgerald money.

Totally agree that this is the current market. I think he can be had for 7-9 mill... probably 8 per. But, some folks on this board think we can get everything at some bargain basement discount. I think he will help the Bills with a contract under 9 mill but it won't be for 5 or 6 mill per that's for sure.

TMu11
09-13-2011, 06:02 AM

Also highly unlikely we let him walk Buddy said he wants to keep his people.
Are you a Bills fan, or a Stevie J fan?

jamze132
09-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Holy crap people! He just played his 1st game after his breakout season. Let's give it a couple of months to see if he truly is our #1.

PromoTheRobot
09-13-2011, 08:12 AM
I have a feeling that Stevie is asking for $10 million or more per year. I don't blame the Bills for not paying him yet. They want to make sure he is truly a number 1 WR and last year wasnt a fluke year. It will get done. Have patience!
Thank you! Everyone assumes it's the Bills. No one considers what the player is asking for.

PTR

better days
09-13-2011, 08:28 AM

Well, if Fitzpatrick does not keep up this pace, then Stevie won't be putting up huge numbers.

I think Fitz is going to continue to play well & get the new contract. I believe Fitz is just coming into his own. People forget Fitz played against lesser competition in the IVY league.

I think it has taken him a while to get up to speed with the NFL game but I see him improving as the year progresses, not getting worse.

trapezeus
09-13-2011, 08:33 AM
i hate to defend the bills but the way players out perform contracts and then ask again, the bills may be offering something in line with last year's performance and a bump up in pay, and Stevie is coming in at a number where he has an unreal year.

Even if stevie agrees to the bills numbers, if he outperforms, they'll be back at the table again to renegotiate again. So if they are that far apart, its just easier to play out the year and put the risk on Stevie.

I'm hoping he has a couple big games against some big teams (NE, cough cough). I think he's worth it. but i understand the abundance of caution.

Beebe's Kid
09-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Well...we are going to miss him this weekend. If Ralph weren't so damn cheap he would still be on the team.

Holy ****...you guys would all, seriously, blow your load and sign Stevie for 9 mil, today?

He dropped a **** load of passes last year, and it was the first year he made an impact. Why not give it a couple weeks and make a decision? That is what is happening.

The reason the Bills have the cap room is to resign the guys we need to. If Stevie is playing well, he'll get paid.

justasportsfan
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
no one complained when the bills extended Lee to what was a huge contract back then. Now people have complained about Lee's performance the last 2 years. I like Stevie but I'd wait til' mid season. It's not like Stevie is whining about his salary.

trapezeus
09-13-2011, 10:14 AM
personally, i think stevie will get the contract at the end of the year. I also think Fitz needs to be resigned regardless of how he performs. I think he is an invaluable coach to have to groom a guy who has better arm strength and athleticism. I don't want thigpen being that guy at all.

I don't think Bell will get a monster contract. i think he's probably a good depth guy, especially if they can bring in a rookie. he'll be good to keep the seat warm.

and i think jackson should get a little cash bonus thrown his way at the end of the year if he continues to be the back he has been for the last 3 years.

ddaryl
09-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't think putting $15 mil a season into Steve Johnson for any reason is a wise idea. he deserves a nice kind raise, but if he wants to win championships in Buffalo he will need to take the home town discount to ensure the team is capable of keeping the type of players that can win championships.. Steve is rock solid but he is not a single threat

Put too much money into one player and you'll have to let another 1 or 2 core players go to pay for it.

5 years $45 million if he duplicates last years performance or shows he is on his way to duplicating that performance at the 1/2 mark of the season..

My guess is the Bills offered him a little more then 1/2 that to start the season based on one year of performing.

Lexwhat
09-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't think putting $15 mil a season into Steve Johnson for any reason is a wise idea. he deserves a nice kind raise, but if he wants to win championships in Buffalo he will need to take the home town discount to ensure the team is capable of keeping the type of players that can win championships.. Steve is rock solid but he is not a single threat

Put too much money into one player and you'll have to let another 1 or 2 core players go to pay for it.

5 years $45 million if he duplicates last years performance or shows he is on his way to duplicating that performance at the 1/2 mark of the season..

My guess is the Bills offered him a little more then 1/2 that to start the season based on one year of performing.

Honest question: Why should Stevie Johnson accept any less than Santonio Holmes (5 years, $50 million)? Holmes has had multiple legal issues, and, most notably, he was suspended 4 games last season for violating the substance-abuse policy.

I understand Holmes has had a better history than Johnson, but the Jets didn't seem to blink throwing money at Holmes after the Steelers couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Johnson is 2 years younger than Holmes, and has a knack for finding the end zone (more than Holmes). Moreover, Johnson's worst character issue is blaming God for a dropped TD pass. IMO, Johnson deserves at least as much as Holmes does, if not more.

Am I talking $15 million / year Larry Fitzgerald money? Of course not. But look at the contracts being handed out in today's market. 5 years, $45 million simply cannot be justified. That's too low.

Especially with all our cap room, Johnson should get a 6 year, $66 million dollar contract, $30 million guaranteed.

Lexwhat
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
All of what I wrote above -- is based on Johnson performing at least into the Bye Week, or for the entire season.

I'm not advocating for a contract extension for him now.

Lexwhat
09-13-2011, 11:35 AM
You averaged over the length, I simply looked at what they would get next year.

And Calvin signed at 6 years 55.5 on his rookie deal as you said. When he signs his new deal it will be Fitzgerald money.

Totally agree that this is the current market. I think he can be had for 7-9 mill... probably 8 per. But, some folks on this board think we can get everything at some bargain basement discount. I think he will help the Bills with a contract under 9 mill but it won't be for 5 or 6 mill per that's for sure.

Yes, I did average over the length. Isn't that the most accurate measure to use?

Like I said above, the Jets have set the benchmark for pro-bowl caliber WR contracts. They gave Holmes $10 million a year, and $24 million guaranteed. If I'm Johnson's agent, there's no way I accept less than that.

Case in point: Holmes's contract has almost twice as much guaranteed money as Brandon Marshall's contract from a year ago. Is Holmes in any way, shape, or form as good as Brandon Marshall? No way. But that's how the market is.

Mad Max
09-13-2011, 12:27 PM
He's about on par with Santonio Holmes to me and that's what he makes. Fitzgerald gets 11 or so per, and Calvin gets 8.8 and has another 8 available through incentives.

Holmes makes around 9.

I'd say Anquan Boldin type of money. That's the class of receiver Stevie is IMO. Boldin's on a 4yr/28mil contract.

I'd offer no more than that, actually I think I'd try to get him on a longer deal for less per year, 6/36 for example.

It's great for us fans to throw around other peoples money, but people forget that the NFL is first and foremost a business. One of the basic rules in business negotiation is don't bid against yourself.

X-Era
09-13-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd say Anquan Boldin type of money. That's the class of receiver Stevie is IMO. Boldin's on a 4yr/28mil contract.

I'd offer no more than that, actually I think I'd try to get him on a longer deal for less per year, 6/36 for example.

It's great for us fans to throw around other peoples money, but people forget that the NFL is first and foremost a business. One of the basic rules in business negotiation is don't bid against yourself.He may bite on a 7 mill per contract, he may not. I really think it will be 8 or so.

It won't be 15 of course. And I don't think he can command 11 or even 10. But 9 isn't crazy and 8 is probably reasonable if all things stay the same.

That puts us 1 mill apart and if that's where the Bills and Stevie are, it would probably get done. 6 won't happen guys, that is simply not enough.

Don't bid against yourself? Versus what? Waiting until FA? Bidding against much better teams that are willing to pay him what he's worth?

The smart move is to never let him hit FA and get the deal done by around week 8 or so.

Mad Max
09-13-2011, 04:22 PM
He may bite on a 7 mill per contract, he may not. I really think it will be 8 or so.

It won't be 15 of course. And I don't think he can command 11 or even 10. But 9 isn't crazy and 8 is probably reasonable if all things stay the same.

That puts us 1 mill apart and if that's where the Bills and Stevie are, it would probably get done. 6 won't happen guys, that is simply not enough.

Don't bid against yourself? Versus what? Waiting until FA? Bidding against much better teams that are willing to pay him what he's worth?

The smart move is to never let him hit FA and get the deal done by around week 8 or so.

Johnson's good and I would agree to try and sign him to an equitable contract around week 8 as you say. But he's nobody I would go buckwild for, caving to his/ his agents demands just to keep him off the market. So no I wouldn't bid against myself if I were the Bills.

That's a risk Stevie would be taking too, there are no guarantees in FA. Seven mil per for 4 or 5 years would be a sweetheart deal for him, if he refuses that...let him shop his services.

Gailey's taking a page out of Belicheat's offensive book, in spreading the ball around to a bunch of good but not great Receivers. Plug and chug. Welker, Edelman, Slater, Tate, Branch, Ocho? None of these guys is a world beater by himself, and none is highly paid...yet the Pats score like points are going out of style.

Receiver's are replaceable with this type of ball control with short passes offense.

Dujek
09-13-2011, 04:30 PM
But has yet to do it?

So I imagined Kyle Williams' new contract then?

X-Era
09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
So I imagined Kyle Williams' new contract then?No.

Maybe you just didn't realize he wasn't getting re-signed off a rookie contract.

Yes, Nix gets credit for Kyle. But Kyle was still under contract and not on his rookie deal. Nix hasn't re-signed a single player once their rookie deal was up.

Why is it different? Because developing and then keeping the guys you drafted means showing the ability to re-sign guys when their rookie deal ends. That's the situation with Stevie.

X-Era
09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Johnson's good and I would agree to try and sign him to an equitable contract around week 8 as you say. But he's nobody I would go buckwild for, caving to his/ his agents demands just to keep him off the market. So no I wouldn't bid against myself if I were the Bills.That's a bit extreme and I never said we should do that. But paying the going rate is not going buckwild. Gheez, around here unless your shopping at Walmart, you're going buckwild.

That's a risk Stevie would be taking too, there are no guarantees in FA. Seven mil per for 4 or 5 years would be a sweetheart deal for him, if he refuses that...let him shop his services.
If he keeps up what he did last year I have zero doubt that he will earn more. And frankly I don't give a **** about Ralph's wallet and tons of cap room. Were supposed to be trying to win, not make the most profits. I mean you let Stevie walk over 1 mill per?

Gailey's taking a page out of Belicheat's offensive book, in spreading the ball around to a bunch of good but not great Receivers. Plug and chug. Welker, Edelman, Slater, Tate, Branch, Ocho? None of these guys is a world beater by himself, and none is highly paid...yet the Pats score like points are going out of style. If we had Brady I would be way less worried about having good WR's agree.

Receiver's are replaceable with this type of ball control with short passes offense.No, not without a HOF QB.

Mad Max
09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
That's a bit extreme and I never said we should do that. But paying the going rate is not going buckwild. Gheez, around here unless your shopping at Walmart, you're going buckwild.

I didn't say you did. I said that. You don't know what Johnson is going to demand. What I meant was that if he demands 10-11 and they pay him...

If he keeps up what he did last year I have zero doubt that he will earn more. And frankly I don't give a **** about Ralph's wallet and tons of cap room. Were supposed to be trying to win, not make the most profits. I mean you let Stevie walk over 1 mill per?

Of course you don't (nor do I or any other fan) because it's not your money and therefore easy for you to talk about throwing around someone elses million. There are other considerations as well, every contract sets a precedent. Stevie a 7th rounder gets X then Nelson has a great season and all of a sudden he wants X too... So a single contract doesn't exist in a vacuum.

If we had Brady I would be way less worried about having good WR's agree.

No, not without a HOF QB.

Ya we're going to have to fully disagree here. Good QB+good WRs+good system= you can win games. You don't need a HOFer to make it work if you have those 3 components.

Night Train
09-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Fred Jackson & S. Johnson need to be extended soon or I'll be pissed.

We are going to depend on these guys heavily for quite a while.

Fitz later...maybe..

X-Era
09-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Of course you don't (nor do I or any other fan) because it's not your money and therefore easy for you to talk about throwing around someone elses million. There are other considerations as well, every contract sets a precedent. Stevie a 7th rounder gets X then Nelson has a great season and all of a sudden he wants X too... So a single contract doesn't exist in a vacuum. IN this case it's someone elses 40 mill in profits that might get cut into by 1 or 2 mill. And with us being 20 mill under the cap, if Nelson earns money pay him too.

It kind of sounds like your just fine with staying way below the cap, and letting a good player that we developed leave if he simply asks going rate.

When would the team "build" under this operating plan?

Mad Max
09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
IN this case it's someone elses 40 mill in profits that might get cut into by 1 or 2 mill. And with us being 20 mill under the cap, if Nelson earns money pay him too.

It kind of sounds like your just fine with staying way below the cap, and letting a good player that we developed leave if he simply asks going rate.

When would the team "build" under this operating plan?

Like I said, Stevie's good, and I feel that he should get paid a salary commensurate with his skills.

And I get your point of view (along with all the other fans that think the same way) in that The Bills have a ton of profit and could afford to cut into it deeply to lock everyone up.

I just don't feel that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. Pinpoint the right guys to keep and then try to keep them. Pay them a fair salary, maybe even overpay the ones you feel are critical to your success.

But if you just drop your pants and sign people to big numbers right away without making them work for it (negotiations wise), then that sets a terrible precedent and other players start holding the team over a barrel. Bad business.

I'm a business man myself. I like to make money...apparently I can't create an internal disconnect between being a fan and having a business point of view.

X-Era
09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Like I said, Stevie's good, and I feel that he should get paid a salary commensurate with his skills.

And I get your point of view (along with all the other fans that think the same way) in that The Bills have a ton of profit and could afford to cut into it deeply to lock everyone up.

I just don't feel that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. Pinpoint the right guys to keep and then try to keep them. Pay them a fair salary, maybe even overpay the ones you feel are critical to your success.

But if you just drop your pants and sign people to big numbers right away without making them work for it (negotiations wise), then that sets a terrible precedent and other players start holding the team over a barrel. Bad business.

I'm a business man myself. I like to make money...apparently I can't create an internal disconnect between being a fan and having a business point of view.
I can totally understand that.

As a business man if you had a sub-par product and the customers stopped coming you would make changes to improve the product right?

Well there in lies the problem. The customers haven't stopped coming so the Bills haven't been forced to improve the sub-par product... But again as a businessman, I would think you would have pride in your product and would want to make it the best product possible.

And as someone who works in launching products I know that sometimes you sacrifice profits to launch a better product realizing you will get much larger returns if you do so.

Our drafted players who pan out represent improvements to our product. They may require significant investments under the premise that the investment will mean wins and ultimately more profits.

No one is saying we should pay stupid money for Stevie. But, we also shouldn't be unrealistic about what the going rate is. We should hope for, but not expect, a discount because he's one of ours. But, if that discount isn't given, we should be prepared to pay the going rate.

It's too early to sweat it too much. And I understand it's bad timing with the big win we just had and with it being so early in a new season. Again, I had no control on when the story came out. I understand this can seem irritating to some. But the justifications for losing him has also already begun and that is also equally as irritating.

In the end, I want the best team possible for now and in the future and I'm a huge fan of Stevie. I'd love for him to be a part of that future.

Mad Max
09-13-2011, 07:12 PM
I can totally understand that.

As a business man if you had a sub-par product and the customers stopped coming you would make changes to improve the product right?

Well there in lies the problem. The customers haven't stopped coming so the Bills haven't been forced to improve the sub-par product... But again as a businessman, I would think you would have pride in your product and would want to make it the best product possible.

And as someone who works in launching products I know that sometimes you sacrifice profits to launch a better product realizing you will get much larger returns if you do so.

Our drafted players who pan out represent improvements to our product. They may require significant investments under the premise that the investment will mean wins and ultimately more profits.

No one is saying we should pay stupid money for Stevie. But, we also shouldn't be unrealistic about what the going rate is. We should hope for, but not expect, a discount because he's one of ours. But, if that discount isn't given, we should be prepared to pay the going rate.

It's too early to sweat it too much. And I understand it's bad timing with the big win we just had and with it being so early in a new season. Again, I had no control on when the story came out. I understand this can seem irritating to some. But the justifications for losing him has also already begun and that is also equally as irritating.

In the end, I want the best team possible for now and in the future and I'm a huge fan of Stevie. I'd love for him to be a part of that future.

In business it's all about the bottom line my man. If it ain't broke and you ain't getting left behind...you don't fix it. You said it yourself, people keep attending games, buying jerseys, there's still revenue sharing etc.

Ralph keeps making more money not less. He's not incentivized to invest more in order to win more in order to make more...he's already making more while spending less.

We as fans can hope and wish until we're blue in the face for owners in Ralphs situation to sacrifice profits to win. But again it's not our money.

Meathead
09-14-2011, 03:48 AM
to me it sounds like Stevie is trying to increase his value this season.
pretty risky on his part

everybody knows if he gets injured in his contract year his value will plummet

if the bills are giving him a fair wr1 offer and hes turning it down to try to strike it rich then somebody is giving him some baad advice

X-Era
09-14-2011, 05:51 AM
In business it's all about the bottom line my man. If it ain't broke and you ain't getting left behind...you don't fix it. You said it yourself, people keep attending games, buying jerseys, there's still revenue sharing etc.

Ralph keeps making more money not less. He's not incentivized to invest more in order to win more in order to make more...he's already making more while spending less.

We as fans can hope and wish until we're blue in the face for owners in Ralphs situation to sacrifice profits to win. But again it's not our money.I think you just agreed with me.

The Bills aren't forced to address their product. If the profits start disappearing, they may make changes.

Aesop
09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Let's all just take a deep breath and settle down. It's week one.

Week one has to be the absolute worst part of football season. The reactionism and overhyping is nauseating.

BillsFever21
09-14-2011, 08:29 PM

I think they'll get an equitable deal done with him.

I agree and Fitzgerald is making 20 million a year. With that said it will take about 8 million a year give or take to sign him.